Cohen Still Considering 2010 Games....... | Golden Skate

Cohen Still Considering 2010 Games.......

Geesesk8

On the Ice
"I'm having an amazing time on the tour, but I'm still hoping to compete in the Olympics. I'd like to shoot for it again if I'm able," said Cohen, who won't decide until the tour ends in the spring. "I like performing in front of an audience, pushing your mind and body to a place you didn't think was possible."

Complete article from the Rocky Mountain News, 2/13/08....

"Cohen considers 2010 Games, pursues future in acting:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/feb/13/the-next-stage/

I have no problem with Sasha making a competitive come-back. I'd like to see her again. My question is, will she have to go to Regionals and Sectionals before being allowed to skate Nationals? And if she reaches Nationals, she will face: Caroline, Mirai, Rachael, Kimmie, Ashley, Hacker who will be practicing tirelessly for a spot on the Olys. Think about that.

As to the acting, Chekov's Three Sisters, like his other stories require a first class actress. She's not there (yet?).

Joe

jennylovskt

Medalist
I never thought she could be a famous actress. She is good at skating! But it is a big question mark if she could really come back? At this point, it's just talk, talk, and talk.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Sasha

As much as I love Sasha Cohen's skating and I would love to see her skate again, I feel realistically, her competitive time has passed. Stars on Ice is a great place for her. She has always been a terrific show skater. It would be an uphill battle for her to keep up with the technical ability of the new kids.

As far as her acting "career" goes.....who really expected she would make it big in Hollywood? It's a nice hobby but planning to make a living doing it is rather foolish. Hopefully she will consider college or some other worthwhile endeavor to pursue.

I feel the same for Kwan. Her time has passed also.

Dizzy

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, the rules for Cohen and the rules for Kwan should be the same: if the skater wants to go for it -- go ahead!

After all, if the judging is fair, then it is highly likely that the "young'uns" will beat the "comeback kid(s)", fairly and squarely -- and there is no problem. If the "oldsters" do beat enough of the "young'uns" to make the team (again, if the judging is fair), then they have earned their spot -- and again there is no problem (absent injury byes).

Furthermore, if the judging isn't fair, the fault is in the judges, not the skaters.

rtureck

Final Flight
IMO, the rules for Cohen and the rules for Kwan should be the same: if the skater wants to go for it -- go ahead!

After all, if the judging is fair, then it is highly likely that the "young'uns" will beat the "comeback kid(s)", fairly and squarely -- and there is no problem. If the "oldsters" do beat enough of the "young'uns" to make the team (again, if the judging is fair), then they have earned their spot -- and again there is no problem (absent injury byes).

Furthermore, if the judging isn't fair, the fault is in the judges, not the skaters.

Rules are the same. Kwan was the reigning US champ, going into US nationals 02, therefore she did not have to participate in regionals etc. She was injured therefore requested a medical bye. Going into US nats 2010 Cohen will not be the reigning champ, therefore she will most likely have to go through regionals if sheis healthy. If she is injured like Kwan, I don't know whether she will have a legit reason to ask for a by,because unlike Kwan, she will absolutely have no competitive history for 4 yrs.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
This article really does not say anything new. Sounds like a rehash of what we already have heard before only with mentions of Stars on Ice thrown in.

oleada

Record Breaker
Rules are the same. Kwan was the reigning US champ, going into US nationals 02, therefore she did not have to participate in regionals etc. She was injured therefore requested a medical bye. Going into US nats 2010 Cohen will not be the reigning champ, therefore she will most likely have to go through regionals if sheis healthy. If she is injured like Kwan, I don't know whether she will have a legit reason to ask for a by,because unlike Kwan, she will absolutely have no competitive history for 4 yrs.

IIRC, there's a rule that medalists from the last olympics have a bye to nationals.

pista04

On the Ice
Yay for a competitive spirit in Cohen. If USFS want to get around it, they could simply send her to a lower level competition during regionals, and a GP during sectionals, granting her a bye into nationals. I'd still love it if she worked her way up, though.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
As much as I would love her return... just for the joy of watching her skate agian, I hope Sasha realizes that if she was to return for the olympics her chances of winning gold would be next to none. If she watches it or not she muct be aware of the girls doing 2 3/3s, triple axles, her trademark flexiblity is not so rare anymore. Even with a perfect skate which would be a longshot in itself she would be lucky to land on the podium. I hope she realizes this. Sadly, sasha had her moment. she had the perfect program, a beautiful dress, the lead after the short, all the jumps that she needed to win, she was in shape, prepeared and she could not take the gold. It was a terrible blow to her and I would not want to see her so dissipointed again.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha won't have to do Regionals/Sectionals but will have to compete at Nationals. She is not guaranteed a place on the 2009 World team.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The 2010 Olympics are still two years away. I think if Sasha is serious about a return she better start focusing on training now. It's one thing to be a show skater and another to be a competitive skater.

We will see!

netnuts

Match Penalty
If she can get her jumps back, go for it!!

She does not need 3+3, I predict 3+3 will become very rare going into 2010. Many will get downgraded, and many current triple+triple princesses(Caroline/Flatt/Mirai/Wagner) will lose it due to growth spurt.

Lonewolf

On the Ice
I wonder, how many skaters will the United States be able to send in 2010? Right now it is three, but what will happen after Worlds next month? If the US is down to one or two slots, who will win go? Or is the Olympics different than Worlds, I am not sure? Whatever the case, if Sasha is going to try for 2010, it will be an upward struggle for her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right now, not even the 3T and 3S are consistent for Sasha. She was falling on those jumps while skating in SOI. It's a big stretch to get back 3L, 3Z and 3F as solo jumps and in combination when you've been doing nothing but 2-jump exhibitions for the past two years. It's even harder to then put them into a 4-minute competition program and execute it cleanly (something Sasha has rarely done, even in exhibition, and never in a major competition).

If she starts in June, she will have just 7 months to do all that. Seems like a pretty steep climb to me. The last time she tried to 'catch up' (the summer after her Robin Lake Worlds, when she goofed off instead of working on her programs), she wound up injuring herself, missed the GP and had a lackluster Nationals performance.

Sasha is not exactly a dedicated trainer, and she needs to be to be able to regain the jumps she has lost.

Geesesk8

On the Ice
I have no problem with Sasha making a competitive come-back. I'd like to see her again. My question is, will she have to go to Regionals and Sectionals before being allowed to skate Nationals? And if she reaches Nationals, she will face: Caroline, Mirai, Rachael, Kimmie, Ashley, Hacker who will be practicing tirelessly for a spot on the Olys. Think about that.

Joe

As a current Olympic medalist, Sasha would get a bye to Nationals. She would then have to place 1-2 (or 3rd providing the U.S. gets three spots) in order to make the World / Olympic Team. However, since Michelle Kwan is not a current Olympic medalist, she would have to go the qualifying route to Nats: Sectionals/Regionals. I don't have the time to search for the rule on USFS's site, but I'm sure it's there someplace and probably stated a lot better than I just attempted.

Last edited:

kalle

On the Ice
Ok, let's say that she can get her jumps back, what jump layout do you think that she could consider?

Mabye she could rack up some good points with something like this;

2A
3F+2T
3L (Flutz)
3R
******after 2.30 minute mark***
3F
3T+3S sequence (has she not done this in the past?)
2A+2T+2L
3S

I don't see the point repeating the Flutz but I always liked her Flips and Loops.I defiently think she could match the other top ladies in terms of spirals, spins,footwork and presentation so for me it's up to a good 7jump layout without any 3x3 but by repeating jumps that she can get credited for!
I also agree with another poster that by 2010 it will be more important to have "clean" single triple jumps than underrotaded 3x3...I am so amazed by Joannie and her clean triples and I still miss Michelle Kwans jumps that all were of a great quality even without any 3x3...:)

Johar

Medalist
I'm a Sasha fan who doesn't believe she has a chance in hell of making it to the Olympics.