So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Page 5 | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's always easy to blame the media when one's foot is in one's mouth.

basically what I got from his 'retraction' statements is "The Devil [media] made me do it."

this posturing really seperates the men from the boys... while the boys continue slinging insults and stupid remarks the men just quietly move on... it took Johnny and Evan a while to realize it doesn't really help their skating... hopefully Brian and Patrick can kiss and make up too.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Really? I did not hear any "sore loser" comments from Patrick. He was very pleased with his silver medal. He also said the comments he and Brian made were "over blown" in the media.

Brian didn't make any comments this year, that was all Patrick, and it's hard not to read Patrick's quotes for what they are.

Eevun

Final Flight
Joubert just needs to stop skating not to lose and start showing absolutely no mercy.
Amen.

I didn't like Patrick before, and I certainly don't like him now. Such a brat. I feel really angry right now. That's not good sportsmanship. If Brian hadn't fell, he'd won, sure is that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: Bekalc's last post

exactly. If he hadn't seen a backlash to his latest comments I don't think we'd have seen the 'it's all been overblown'/'that's not what I meant' comments

enlight78

Medalist
I think the thing is; even if the PCS were judge correctly the results of the top three would have been the same just that the point totals would be different. Evan would have still won but just barely. Patrick would have been right behind him instead of 5 points away and Brian and Tomas would have been a lot closer.Personally I think it is funny how people can get 80 different veiws from one thing. Overall I am happy with judging considering how subjective Pcs are.
Joubert do have transitions they are just extremely simple. I think the judges might be giving equal creadit for simple and complex choreography. And i don't remeber a bullet point that strees them to reward complex trasitions and choreography more. Pcs are not like spins.They don't have levels.

i love to skate

Medalist
Re: Bekalc's last post

exactly. If he hadn't seen a backlash to his latest comments I don't think we'd have seen the 'it's all been overblown'/'that's not what I meant' comments

I didn't see any comments from him saying the media made him do it or that he didn't mean it. He stated he regretted it and that he would learn from his mistakes. Seriously, people have made worse comments when they were 18 years old...he isn't even graduated from high school yet, my goodness!

enlight78

Medalist
Brian didn't make any comments this year, that was all Patrick, and it's hard not to read Patrick's quotes for what they are.

I have to disagree. I read at least twenty negative post about his comments and half the the things said in the posts had nothing to do with his comments or had no true reflection of what he said.

Mafke

Medalist
If Brian hadn't fell, he'd won, sure is that.

There's just one little teeny, tiny problem with this theory; he did fall.

Joubert despite his amazing charisma isn't an allround skater and the choice under CoP with it's exhausting spin and footwork requirements means that the quad is a chump's game unless you're really sure you can rotate it and/or don't mind falling.

Lysacek can't be sure about rotating it and so he's leaving it out. Smart. If the ISU really craves quads it'll have to relax on the underrotation calls which make it an even bigger risk than it is already.

Without doing a lot of research I have the impression that Joubert can't handle falling and/or doesn't have a good track record of skating well after falling. This would tend to indicate he needs to either skate conservatively or land everything. Since _no_ skater can guarantee landing everything he's probably better off only trying the quad when he's really sure he can land it.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Without doing a lot of research I have the impression that Joubert can't handle falling and/or doesn't have a good track record of skating well after falling. This would tend to indicate he needs to either skate conservatively or land everything. Since _no_ skater can guarantee landing everything he's probably better off only trying the quad when he's really sure he can land it.

Actually Joubert said that he actually could have handled messing up the Quad Salchow. His biggest problem in the long was that he was trying to calculate in his head the things he had to do to earn the points, and essentially got lost. So he didn't do a 3/2/2 and did a double axel instead of a 3 salchow. (sigh)

He said at least he would have known what to do if he messed up the quad and wouldn't have had to think about the points.

happy hollow

Rinkside
CBC showed a bit of the press conference today with Patrick and Brian and they were both kind of joking around. Sometimes the printed word seems harsher than what is actually said. Brian said that the Canadians didn't like what he said after Jeff won worlds, but that he stood by it. Patrick didn't say he was sorry for anything either, but it's over, and they don't have any grudges with each other. They both seemed really relaxed, no animosity. There usd to be way more animosity between Evan and Johnny, and Emanuel and Jeff, than between these two.

Mafke said:
Joubert despite his amazing charisma isn't an allround skater and the choice under CoP with it's exhausting spin and footwork requirements means that the quad is a chump's game unless you're really sure you can rotate it and/or don't mind falling.

I don't know what the best strategy is for any particular skater. But I do think that the way the CoP is set up, you can't really do both.

These athletes are not supermen. As Patrick Chan said, to really do the kind of footwork sequence that the CoP rewards, that is itself is a whole program's worth of energy even if you don't jump at all.

On the other hand, if you do two quads, two triple Axels, and couple of triple-triples -- you can't also do a bunch of transitions and choreography.

Back in the days of 6.0 the formula was easy. Do your 7 or 8 jumping passes. You had a choice -- either space them out with long rests in between, or front load them while you still had the oomph to get off the ground. Throw in a couple of half-hearted spins, mug for the crowd (aka the "second mark"), and Bob's your uncle.

Now your choice is -- do a slew of home run quads and triple-triples, and not much else. Or do 10 IJS bullets worth of level four spins, footwork, moves in the field and spirals, and nickle-and-dime your opponents to death with IJS points.

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
There's just one little teeny, tiny problem with this theory; he did fall.
Yes, of course. I'm not denying that, and I'm not trying to defend him to death (even though I wont deny that he's my fav on the podium). What I meant was just that Patrick, or anyone else can go on on Brian about what they want, too high PCS, no charisma, blah blah. BUT in this LP Brian was the best (except for that fall) and didn't had any other mayor faults that he lost that much points on. He clearly has something that is better than the other since he got those score during whole the event, even to both Patrick and Evan through all has better programs; Brian has some really good and some really bad, and that becomes the same in the end. (Don't feel confused if you don't understand what I mean. I do it hardly myself and know I try to explain it in another language :laugh: )

Joubert despite his amazing charisma isn't an allround skater
The absolutely first thought in my head when I read this was Brian in some costume à la Weir, skating to Vivaldi's 4 seasons :rofl:

astimegoesby

On the Ice
QUOTE=Mathman;385434]I don't know what the best strategy is for any particular skater. But I do think that the way the CoP is set up, you can't really do both.[/QUOTE]

Stéphane Lambiel came the closest to doing both, IMO--he had consistent quads, awesome spins, high-quality footwork, and well-choreographed programs. The one thing he was missing was a consistent 3-axel, so even he truly didn't have everything.

CBC showed a bit of the press conference today with Patrick and Brian and they were both kind of joking around. Sometimes the printed word seems harsher than what is actually said. Brian said that the Canadians didn't like what he said after Jeff won worlds, but that he stood by it. Patrick didn't say he was sorry for anything either, but it's over, and they don't have any grudges with each other. They both seemed really relaxed, no animosity. There usd to be way more animosity between Evan and Johnny, and Emanuel and Jeff, than between these two.

Are you referring to the same post-SP press conference clip the main CBC network showed before their LP broadcast (and rebroadcast earlier today)? If so, I was also pleasantly surprised to see Patrick and Brian laughing and kind of joking with each other. I hope both of them can put this behind them and move on to the next chapter in their rivalry--on the ice. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I don't know, Joubert has worked really hard to get his spins better, and often does high-level spins and footwork. AFAIK his level 1 spin at the end of the LP was because he was running out of time and couldn't do the features required for a higher level.

A quad done well can more than make up the difference from having level 3 footwork rather than level 4. Joubert had a pretty high base mark for his LP - certainly higher than Chan, whose base mark is consistently low and whose high tech scores come from GOEs, not from being ambitious with the elements (in fact, I believe Jeremy Ten had the highest base mark among the Canadian men).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don't like what Chan has been saying, but he is after all, only 18... He's not really supposed to be at the pinnacle of maturity at 18, no matter how brilliant his skating skills are.

Yes, he is young. Besides, what he mentioned was valid, in my opinion. Joubert´s inflated PC scores have bothered lots of skating fans during the years. As Chan won over Joubert, I do not see his complaining as unsportmanlike. If he had complained about Lysacek, it would have been a totally different matter, but he didn´t.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
There is a great interview with Patrick on the CBC website where he states he regrets the comments he made, it was a spur of the moment situation and one which he will learn from in the future, he also said it was a great lesson to learn.

Can u guys post links to these vids if there are any online please?

screech

Final Flight
Well my thought is this.

Last year Joubert complained about the quad not being worth enough. This year: quad worth a bit more.

This year Patrick complaining about PCS not being scored correctly. Mayne next year they will be scored more based on performance and SEPARATE ASPECTS, not as one kind of mark and with all different components being given completely separate scores.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I think Joubert should also get rid of the Matrix once and for all... he's been skating it off and on for HOW long (NBCUniversal said three years, but I swear he was skating the Matrix while Alexei and Plushy were battling it out)

and the Alexei channelling thing has gotten so old for the footwork sections....:sheesh:

it's entertaining, but I feel as I've seen it all before.

I would like to see Brian skate a music with power, and perform a great character... maybe be Romeo:love:, I think it would suit him: a character with a romantic and melacholic side, and yet strong. And I different footwork I agree on that as well.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I know that we don't talk about personal stuff of the skaters, but I always wanted to ask Joubert something - I can't do that of course, so I just ask here: Is he a happy person? Because I get the feeling that he is always tense, always putting himself under pressure - he keeps running through seasons, with those rather huge ups and downs, injuries, crisis - manages to pull it somehow together towards the end, he had his best long programs the last two seasons always at Worlds. But I don't get the feeling that he is free, or happy - especially not on the ice. He has an impressive powerful outing here and there, mostly SPs, but that's it.

What a strange rant. I'll shut up now.

screech

Final Flight
I know that we don't talk about personal stuff of the skaters, but I always wanted to ask Joubert something - I can't do that of course, so I just ask here: Is he a happy person? Because I get the feeling that he is always tense, always putting himself under pressure - he keeps running through seasons, with those rather huge ups and downs, injuries, crisis - manages to pull it somehow together towards the end, he had his best long programs the last two seasons always at Worlds. But I don't get the feeling that he is free, or happy - especially not on the ice. He has an impressive powerful outing here and there, mostly SPs, but that's it.

What a strange rant. I'll shut up now.

I kind of get what you're saying. He doesn't have the appearance that he loves it anymore. He just wants to win, and in a sport like this, just wanting to win usually isn't enough.