So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Page 8 | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I've seen it, and I think there are two possible interpretations of the press conference and Chan's comments before and after Worlds:
1. Patrick Chan is a backstabbing hypocrite.
2. Skate Canada used Patrick Chan for a particularly unpleasant PR stunt.

Upon further consideration, Patrick doesn't strike me as a backstabbing anything, and he doesn't seem that media savvy, so I'm inclined to say option 2 is the correct explanation - and shame on them for doing it. I hope both guys focus on their skating from here on out.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I've seen it, and I think there are two possible interpretations of the press conference and Chan's comments before and after Worlds:

Upon further consideration, Patrick doesn't strike me as a backstabbing anything, and he doesn't seem that media savvy, so I'm inclined to say option 2 is the correct explanation - and shame on them for doing it. I hope both guys focus on their skating from here on out.

I agree with you here. After watching that press conference, Patrick seemed really nervous and it seemed like he didn't quite know what to say. I think the comments he made earlier were definitely twisted by the media and definitely not made any better by the comments made by Mike Slipchuk. Honestly, I tend to ramble on and on, not even realizing what I'm saying, when I feel put on the spot or really nervous. The comments he made are coming from a kid who has no media training, or much experience in the public eye until this season. I agree with everything he said, except the personal comments about Brian being a "sore loser". I think some people need to take a step back and look at the situation he's in. Sure there are other youngsters in the skating world who don't make comments like Patrick did. He made a mistake. Get over it. That doesn't make him a bad person, or someone not worthy of our praise.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if it makes the Chan fans feel any better, just a couple of years ago Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek came under the same heated scrutiny for their bone headed comments made in the media at each other... it was annoying, comical, and thankfully they grew out of it. Media does manipulate... but at the same time, guard your tongue and don't blame anyone else for what you said.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight

Yep, definitely.
I think what seems to confirm this hypothesis is Patrick's second lot of statements. Most skating federations would have warned and discouraged Patrick from reiterating such comments (they are awful for his image). None of them would have not said anything. Since Patrick reiterated his comments it seems wise to conclude that he was advised (explicitly or implicitly) to do so.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think some people need to take a step back and look at the situation he's in

I think then the people arguing cut Chan a break, should then cut Joubert a break for the quad comments a year ago. Joubert did learn his lesson and didn't comment on it after Evan's worlds win.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think then the people arguing cut Chan a break, should then cut Joubert a break for the quad comments a year ago. Joubert did learn his lesson and didn't comment on it after Evan's worlds win.

I agree. Everyone has a right to speak their mind and make their opinion known. Brian is allowed to say what he wants, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with him!

singerskates

On the Ice
Patrick seemed to be a very nice guy. I remembers one time he felt bad that another skater who did more jumps got lower score than he did, and said that straight to the interviewer. It seems that he says whatever comes to his mind. That being said, it seems really too much to attack Joubert like that! I really wish Patrick keep his mouth shut, seriously. I like Patrick, but still, too much is too much.

I'm kind of pissed off by the judging. How could the choreography score change so much for the same program from competition to copetition? That's just for one thing. SS should not change that much either IMO.

I'm not saying this was the case but it can happen. PCS which include skating skills, choreography/composition, performace/execution, interpretation and transitions/linking footwork can vary from competition to competition. Things that can factor in with this are tiredness, nervousness, illness, injury and/or pressure. So anything is possible.

But from what I saw at least in the short, Patrick Chan should have been in 1st place if he would have gotten the correct PCS. But as far as the long goes, even if he would have had 1st in the short, Patrick did deserve to be second in the freeskate and 2nd overall to Evan. Besides, now Patrick doesn't have that Men's World Champion Prior to the Olympics Curse to worry about (getting Silver instead of Gold or nothing at all at the Olympics). The Men's World Champion Prior to the Olympics Curse is now Evan's because he is now the World Men's Champion going into the Olympics and Canada couldn't be happier. Silver at 2009 Worlds means a good chance of Gold at the 2010 Winter Olympic games for Canada.

nylynnr

On the Ice
In response to some of the posts implying or stating out right that Patrick's comments were manipulated or twisted by the media, absolutely untrue. The media was surprised that Chan was so aggressive with his thoughts; several looked at each other in astonishment. He expressed them in both the mixed zone and after the competition, in a very relaxed, happy and open manner, surrounded by Skate Canada officials. No one pushed him. It was a chatfest.

Of course, given a gift of this type, the media was going to quote Chan extensively and feature him prominently in articles. I absolutely agree that athletes have a right to express themselves and to say this teenager was unduly coaxed is false. He appeared to enjoy every single minute of worlds and good for him.

In response to some of the posts implying or stating out right that Patrick's comments were manipulated or twisted by the media, absolutely untrue. The media was surprised that Chan was so aggressive with his thoughts; several looked at each other in astonishment. He expressed them in both the mixed zone and after the competition, in a very relaxed, happy and open manner, surrounded by Skate Canada officials. No one pushed him. It was a chatfest.

I don't think the claim is so much that the news media pushed Chan into this position, as that Skate Canada did.

On the thread in the Edge you wrote:

nylynnr said:
At the recent worlds in L.A. Skate Canada had a full-court press going on in the media room and I'm sure behind the scenes as well. Everything, from Chan's remarks about quads and Joubert to having former champions like Browning and Manley offering their assessments right in the mixed zone, was organized.

This sems to be quite correct. Whether Skate Canada is doing their boy a favor or a disservice by using him in this way -- I guess that's up for grabs.

nylynnr

On the Ice
Mathman, I don't think anyone pushed Chan into saying anything. Speaking in a relaxed, friendly, happy manner doesn't indicate a push. Skate Canada was supportive of Chan and what he chose to say; big difference. It seems they have a guy who is not afraid to speak out and is comfortable doing so, and they're running full steam ahead with him as he is -- or at least they did in L.A.

And BTW, posts #142 and #143 clearly discussed media, which is what I was responding to -- I believe it's important in this case to realize these were true and exact words, no interpretation necessary. Chan may never be so forthright again, but he was more than comfortable when he made, and repeated/amplified, his remarks in L.A.

jettasian

Match Penalty
It's really pathetic to see people actually have problem with Chan for speaking the truth. THAT'S the problem with this sport, people are in denial that there's a problem with the marking. Oh, it's wrong, but people should shut up about it?
So retarded!
I'm so glad Chan spoke his mind, and at least shut Joubert up! Who'd to say Jourbert would not have whined about about Lysacke won without a quad again?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hey, judges marked higher his sitspin or his spin combo?just asking, I dont remember..plush maybe had higher level call in his spins, wasnt it lambiel who had said that he doesnt want to change his spins to upgrade his level because he doesnt want to lose quality of spins?Stephan was marked lower than others in spins not only than plush..
Its been years since plush was in comps, isnt any other example of overmarking in skating history since then? :p
The star (plush) was also a starlet before becoming one, but Lambiel was a starlet then?I think from 2004- he was a star.All the judges are from country-stan? If that was the case with russia, why Lutai was undermarked in worlds?
As for chan-joubert, cant they just talk on ice?It was like oprah show this worlds.

lol my answers go before your posts!

But one has to wonder about the judges when they score Plushenko higher than Lambiel in sitsspins.

I believe most judges know what is what in the scoring sytem, so my question is "are they intimidated by a Star?', and that's just one of the questions that raises my eyebrows. What bullets make Plush's sitspin from Stefan's? It certainly isn't speed or number of turns. Whaaaa? Big Stars have more power than little starlets epecially if the star comes from a top Fed.

I do believe judges are scared to be outside the average scoring results so they treat 'stars' differently. Not unlike the 6.0 system, but just with numbers.

Chuckm usually gives judges nationalities in competitions. Check em out for the Olys. How strong is Mother Russia if the judges are Russia, Kaz, Uzbek, etc.?, Unfortunately, one can not check the names for results.

shine

Record Breaker
God forbid a skater dares speaking up about his disapproval of the judging.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Hsuhs said:
I thought it was very Jerry Springer. Joubert declined invitation and didn't show up though!
Oh, definitely :biggrin:. Oprah is much classier these days.

It's really pathetic to see people actually have problem with Chan for speaking the truth. THAT'S the problem with this sport, people are in denial that there's a problem with the marking.
I don't know why I still bother responding to this, so I'll make this the last time. You seem to have trouble with the concept of "truth". Chan expressed his opinion, which he is certainly allowed to do. But it's an opinion, not an absolute truth. My opinion is that he was a jerk about it, and I'm allowed to write that, even if it annoys you. The suggestion that Chan "shut Joubert up" is laughable. Joubert was simply mature enough not to get into a war of words.

The problem with the sport isn't Patrick Chan's marks (those have been too high for much of the season, not too low). It's that the system and the judging are not encouraging diversity, risk-taking and creativity, except maybe in ice dance, and it's getting boring to watch everyone doing the same thing. The second problem is that casual fans don't get the scoring system, and think it's really difficult to understand. It's not, if the commentators bother to explain it instead of advancing conspiracy theories.

seniorita - I believe Lambiel was the near-miss guy until 2005: he never medaled at Euros or Worlds until that year, often just missing out (e.g. 2002 Euros, 2004 Worlds). At least he made his first medal a major one :). I think it was 2006 when he refused to play the CoP game with his spins, and his levels were lower than a lot of guys who weren't nearly as good at spins as he was.

seniorita

Record Breaker
well stephan was a star for me since chocolat, so i thought that everybody felt the same:p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
well stephan was a star for me since chocolat, so i thought that everybody felt the same:p
Have you seen his EX at 1997 Worlds? He performed there as the novice national champion, it's super-cute. It's probably on Youtube, that's where I saw it.