So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About.... | Page 7 | Golden Skate

So Is Brian Joubert Now Going To Complain About....

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, this is just online gossip and conjecture, but apparently Gailhaguet has been hoping to get Brian away from JCS for some time now - preferably to Annique Dumont - and is using Worlds as an excuse, saying that since changing the LP at the last moment was Simond's idea, he's a bad strategist. Which may be true, but ultimately this type of decision needs to be up to Brian and based on what he feels comfortable with.

But I agree that there is an acceptable amount of involvement for a federation, and Gailhaguet and FFSG are way beyond that here.

Annique is Gailhaguet ex wife isn't she?? Surely a conflict of interest that the head of the FFSG is trying to move one of it's star skaters to his ex wife. Who has she coached to Olympic success? All of the articles are suggesting that Brian needs top class coaches - ones with experience. So unless he's trying to get him to go back to Tarasova or one of the coaches in the US i fail to see how any coach in France fits his description.

Ant

Last edited:

life684

Final Flight
I can honestly say I don't have a favorite men's skater. (I don't have any favorite skaters these days. THANKS Code) but reading all the comments Patrick Chan is the one coming out sounding like a jerk. Brian never mentioned a name. Chan has done nothing but name drop since the first comments came out.

What really made me start to be annoyed by Chan is the way he makes these obnoxious comments to the print media that he did not make to the TV media.
If he was even in his comments I might get why he is so upset but if he is going to act like Irina then I am going to feel the same way about him as I do about her. Irina was always so nice to the TV media but the comments in the Russian print media made me dislike her as a person as much as her skating. I don't want to feel that way about Chan.

Irina never said anything like Chan is doing now, as far as i can remember d she didn't name any athlete for 2002 olympics incident. She was upset about the Judging at the championship, especially her scores. Like many she felt that the gold medal was given to Hughes because North American media and public wanted an american gold medal.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Who has she coached to Olympic success?
She coached after Wikipedia
Stanick Jeannette, Gabriel Monnier, Jérèmy Prevoteaux, Vincent Restencourt, Laetitia Hubert, four time French silver medalist Frédéric Dambier, and Alban Préaubert.
And yeah, I don't think that she is more qualified than the current team. I mean, only Jeannette won medals at an ISU Senior Championship. And all of those guys were known for their inconsistency. Some of them very known for their artistry / creativity though, especially Dambier and Jeannette.

It's too late for Brian to marry an Italian girl and skate for Italy next season, isn't it? :frown2:

jfdw

Rinkside
Hi
I am not a figure skater but a fan who has watched it for many years. You do not become the expert that people that have taken figure skating lessons do but you do gain knowledge.

I have always respected Brian Joubert's talent. In my opinion he does not need a new coach. The year before the olympics is stressful enough without having to adjust to a new coach. If he feels he needs some different choreographic help then go for it but I think he will be better keeping the same coach. They know one another well now and seem to have a good working relationship.

In my humble opinion I do not think it is a technical thing with Brian it is a mind set with him. I will use Kurt Browning as an example he made the same mistake in the same short program at two consecutive Olympics . It cost him an a Olympic medal of any colour. He himself said later it was a mind thing he could not get past falling on that jump and that is what he had to do. To visualize landing it.

I think Brian has the technical prowness to win but he has to believe in himself that he can do it. I think he has lost some confidence in himself and he needs help to get it back.

What if he was near to tears after the long program. He has been through a lot in the past year and he had set his hopes to do better this year and they were crushed. He is a human being not a robot.

I did not agree with his behavior last year when he lost to Jeff. But this year when he lost according to one report I read in an interview to his own press he said I did not do my job and I hope to do better next year. He learned from his behavior last year this years's response was one befitting a past world champion. It was classy and I respect him for it when he must have been in the depths of despair. I as a Canadian hope Patrick Chan learns the same lesson and we do not hear any more of his trash talking next year. Patick to my knowledge has never spoken like this about his opponents before I hope it because of his youthful impulsiveness and he will be advised by his coach , parents and Skate Canada that that is not the behavior of a skater who hopes to one day be World Champion.

I hope Brian gets the confidence he needs and skates a clean program next year and then let the judges decide fairly for all the skates on what they lay down on the ice. The skaters deserve that and let us hope the judges give them fair judging. I want all the skaters to skate a clean program and then let the judges decide the winner fairly.
jfdw

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Plus hasn't he been coached by Annique before and fallen out quite badly?
No, that was with Veronique Guyon. Apparently she and Raymonde Joubert did not get along. I heard Dumont was considered in the past but he didn't want to move to Paris. I don't think she'd be right for him. TaT, maybe, if someone else helps with the choreo and he doesn't let her pick his costumes :eek:.

It's too late for Brian to marry an Italian girl and skate for Italy next season, isn't it? :frown2:
Brian and the relevant Italian girl broke up some time ago. I am a true gossip girl today! ;)

Hah, I saw Laetitia Hubert's skate at Albertville in 1992, that was certainly not Olympic success. But I imagine someone else was coaching her then?

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
What does concern me re Brian is that FFSG is apparently pressuring him to drop his current coach, and move away from Poitiers to train with someone who has experience preparing skaters for the Olympics - which Simond does not. I think pressure and coaching changes before an Olympic season is the last thing anyone needs.

Hopefully Brian find the best solution and come back motivated, happy ans strong next season.

Well, this is just online gossip and conjecture, but apparently Gailhaguet has been hoping to get Brian away from JCS for some time now - preferably to Annique Dumont - and is using Worlds as an excuse, saying that since changing the LP at the last moment was Simond's idea, he's a bad strategist. Which may be true, but ultimately this type of decision needs to be up to Brian and based on what he feels comfortable with.

But I agree that there is an acceptable amount of involvement for a federation, and Gailhaguet and FFSG are way beyond that here.

OMG, what the hell is going on?
I completely agree with Didier about JCS as a tactician, but not as a coach.

JCS is the best coach Brian has ever had. The problems with Brian's preparation came from Brian's stuborness, not from JCS. When Brian finally decided to do as he was told, then things went very smoothly. JCS is the best coach he as ever had. Firstly his character suites Brian: he is firm, yet he isn't arrogant or condescending like one or two people he has worked with in the past. Brian trusts him and respects him. I think that Brian has come so far since Turin, partly thanks to JCS.
The problem was that just before the LP JCS ill-advised Brian (if he did indeed approve or come up with the idea of trying to skate tacticly). Instead of trying to find another coach, maybe Brian should be accompanied backstage by somebody else as well as JCS, like many other skaters do.
I've got the feeling that since Brian has been with JCS, he has matured a lot, not just thanks to himself, but also because JCS allowed him to. Brian and JCS clearly form a time, whereas before his coaches would often take the credit for the good stuff and blame all the mistakes on Brian. JCS has allowed Brian to take his own decisions and face the consequences (good or bad), without despising him for his mistakes, but helping him learn from them and giving him a kick in the backside when he needed it.

As for what Didier said about Brian having to move from Poitiers, I think Didier is extremely wrong. Brian has considered in the past working elsewhere, in France or abroad, but if he never did it's because he loves his home town and wouldn't be very happy living elsewhere. If Brian sees living in Poitiers as something fundamental for his state of mind, then it would indeed be a huge mistake going eslewhere, maybe to a better coach, if it's just to be depressed and so not be in any mental state to become Olympic champion.
Plus, one musn't forget, Brian still lives with his parents, so moving away would mean living alone, and I'm not sure Brian will be able to handle having to adapt to living alone and to change his training conditions.
I've read some people questioning his Mom's role. If anything, she is one of the best people in his close circle. He relies on her a lot. She organises his medical visits, takes care of him, plus she isof good advise to him, even though he doesn't always listen: before the OG, she told him to change back to the Latrix, but he didn't; at the beginning of the season, she told him to change his skates, but he didn't...

Concerning training with Annick, I think the idea, in theory, is wonderful, because she is an amazing coach who as already worked with him, who knows hil and he trusts her, but there are two problems. Firstly, she has other important pupils such as Alban. Brian (and myself!) trust her completely and have every faith in her to give all to each of her pupils, but the thing is, Brian really needs an almost exclusive coach, he needs his coach to really be focused almost solely on him and to adapt to him. Secondly, Annick works in Champigny, not far from Paris, and, as already said, Brian really wants to stay in Poitiers. Thirdy, Brian enjoys skating in Poitiers because he can do so without being hounded by fans becaue everyone knows him, whereas in Champigny it would be impossible to get any peace. If Annick were to train in Paris itself (say at Bercy where Candice Didier trains and where the TEB is held), then it might have been plausible, as he could take the TGV there every morning. But as Champigny is a real pain to get to from Paris (I don't live far and trust me, it's a nightmare), I really can't see Brian going to and from Champigny every day.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Concerning training with Annick, I think the idea, in theory, is wonderful, because she is an amazing coach who as already worked with him, who knows hil and he trusts her, but there are two problems. Firstly, she has other important pupils such as Alban. Brian (and myself!) trust her completely and have every faith in her to give all to each of her pupils, but the thing is, Brian really needs an almost exclusive coach, he needs his coach to really be focused almost solely on him and to adapt to him.
Thanks for the insight into the situation! I don't live in France, of course, so some of this was new to me. Regarding Annick Dumont, I feel it would not be a good match because she already has several other skaters, as you mentioned, but also because the style we see from her skaters is very different from Brian's. If she is someone he'ds considered before, I'm sure he trusts her; I'm just not sure she'd be able to help him perform to the best of his ability. But then again, Brian knows her and himself better than I do, so maybe I have this all wrong ;).

Still, I really hope that this news conference is to announce something less drastic than a full coaching change.

Last edited:

Eevun

Final Flight
Brian and the relevant Italian girl broke up some time ago. I am a true gossip girl today! ;)
They did?! Oh.. :frown:

Re: all this Brian changing coach thing, I keep my opinions for myself and wait for the storm to calm down. All I can say is, poor Brian... :no: He seems to be a guy that needs stability more that anything.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Re: all this Brian changing coach thing, I keep my opinions for myself and wait for the storm to calm down. All I can say is, poor Brian... He seems to be a guy that needs stability more that anything.

I don't know if the coaching relationship has problems he's better of changing and a change might lead to more stabilty.

Eevun

Final Flight
I don't know if the coaching relationship has problems he's better of changing and a change might lead to more stabilty.

But of the comments and articles I've been reading it seems that it worked quite well with JCS and that he's more or less forced to change. Or at least do something drastic. That's what everyone seem to expecting, "if you don't reach the expected goal, change coach." We enter that season now ;)

antmanb

Record Breaker
She coached after Wikipedia

And yeah, I don't think that she is more qualified than the current team. I mean, only Jeannette won medals at an ISU Senior Championship. And all of those guys were known for their inconsistency. Some of them very known for their artistry / creativity though, especially Dambier and Jeannette.

That's what I thought. I just think it's a stupid knee jerk reaction to uproot him this close to the Olympics. HE could feasibly keep at leas the LP for next season and get it completely engrained in time for the Olympics. A move would be dangerous - Joubert seems to be quite sensitive despite his "hard" macho exterior so change this clsoe to the Olympics would be a disaster I think.

I do aslo think that he and Dumont had quite a falling out when they parted ways last too.

What a shame he can't - can you imagine fielding Contesti and Joubert as the Italian team - great way to stick two fingers up at the FFSG!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
No, that was with Veronique Guyon. Apparently she and Raymonde Joubert did not get along. I heard Dumont was considered in the past but he didn't want to move to Paris. I don't think she'd be right for him. TaT, maybe, if someone else helps with the choreo and he doesn't let her pick his costumes :eek:.

Really? I coudl have sworn I've seen Dumont put him on the ice before now and be in the Kiss and Cry...unless i've confused my memory at a competition with Dambier?

I would be happy to see him return to TaT as long she's now stopped choreogrpahing for Yags and getting Yags to teach him the choreography because the carbon copy Yags years were a pretty barren bunch for me!

Ant

bekalc

Record Breaker
Joubert seems to be quite sensitive despite his "hard" macho exterior so change this clsoe to the Olympics would be a disaster I think.

It sounds like a change is necessary. His coach is saying words and Joubert is saying words about coach. Saying the coach didn't believe me about knee/blade problems...If the relationship is that bad, I can't see how it would be good for him in the Olympic year. He needs a coach he trusts.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Pechalat/Bourzat moved to Russia to have a Russian coach there (Zhulin).
Look, what happened: they has beat the European Champion Russian pair at the World,.
Because: 1. They improved tremendously.
2.They got the politics behind themselves.

I think, in all of these 2 aspects, the best way would be to Brian to move to Tarasova. She is amazing in both these jobs to do. And she gives her heart to her students, which Brian never got by his other previous coaches.

antmanb

Record Breaker
It sounds like a change is necessary. His coach is saying words and Joubert is saying words about coach. Saying the coach didn't believe me about knee/blade problems...If the relationship is that bad, I can't see how it would be good for him in the Olympic year. He needs a coach he trusts.

Agreed - i hadn't seen the article with the quotes from the two of them. Clearly things were not rosey there. I don't think the FFSG has made it any better and sadly I think Brian will be the victim in the end. Having all of this piling up so close to the Olympics, no sign of anyone ready to take him on as a student yet, though i'm sure many coaches would jump at the chance, it still leave shim pretty unsettled now that he should be trying to regroup after worlds and start focussing on his Olympic goals.

Ant