Will Tuktamysheva lose a spot for the Olympics Team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Tuktamysheva lose a spot for the Olympics Team?

vera01

Final Flight
We don't know how Julia would be doing next season-she might be inconsistent next season. She's not finished with puberty, and look at Sotnikova-puberty affected her for almost two seasons. Even Liza or Adelina, who had good jumps as a junior skater(and had much better jumps than Julia) couldn't land difficult combination jumps consistently as they faced puberty.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This short program problem for Liza has existed almost her entire career. 2010 Russian nationals 10th SP 1st LP. Before that wasn't so big 5th SP 1st LP not so big but still. It's very rare that she does a good SP regardless of whats going on with her body. And why would her body only affect short programs but almost never long programs? She says she always gets extremely nervous before short programs. No one needs to compete more next season than Liza so she can get short program jitters out the way. I have no idea what makes her nervous and has always made her nervous.

I think the team competition will help Liza in Sochi. She can get that first program out of the way (the SP in the team event) then skate more relaxed for her next 3 programs. As long as skaters don't get tired from skating 4 programs, I think it will be very advantageous to compete in the team event.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well, now we can evaluate this question while considering Tukt's depressing 10th at the World Team Trophy, one of the least-stressful events of the season.

I still think it's too early to say, but she needs to start hitting her jumps if she wants to stand a chance at Russian Nationals in December.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya for Sochi! :laugh:

But seriously that isn't looking like a bad team at this point...somehow, even when the jumps take off like sideways in the air, they manage to not splat. But they are both growing so fast now that who knows if they'll have that kind of consistency next season. Too bad Radionova is not eligible, she's like the best skater in Russia right now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
now we know two problems Liza has to be addressed next Season

1 her weight - Mishin must find a way to control what Liza is eating and monitor everything she eats.
2 she suffers a burnout at the end of the Season not good for Olympics as it will be held in mid end, she will have a possible meltdown if she
continues like this next season by the time Olympics is held. so they need to help her peak at the right time.

ForeverFish

Medalist
now we know two problems Liza has to be addressed next Season

1 her weight - Mishin must find a way to control what Liza is eating and monitor everything she eats.
2 she suffers a burnout at the end of the Season not good for Olympics as it will be held in mid end, she will have a possible meltdown if she
continues like this next season by the time Olympics is held. so they need to help her peak at the right time.

I understand your concern, but please stop making constant comments about Liza's "problematic" weight. It's highly disrespectful to her and to the effort she puts into this sport, not to mention a touchy subject to receive criticism on. Also, consider how uncomfortable she and her team would be if one of them happened across this thread.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Liza just needs to improve her PCS, particularly skating skills. Train her to speed skate this summer. Her technique is good, but a miniature of great. Imagine if she has the speed and the flow, those jumps will gain her +2 across the board.
Speed tend to increase PCS as well.

I wonder what's harder to fix, jump technique or skating skill?

Mishin should pay Shizuka some money, have her to hold a bucket of ice cream, and have Liza chase Shizuka around the rink. For each tag, she gets one spoon of ice cream. By the end of the bucket, she will be the fastest girl out there.

Country
Russia
She doesn't yet have a spot to lose. No Russian lady has. Most likely top 3 from RN will battle it out at Euros or something like that.
Yes, it will be so. Three best of Natonals to Euro, results of Nationals and Euro will give spots at Sochi.

Btw, Liza's FS at Euro was best of Russian Ladies FS of this season.

For all we know, the Olympic spots can go to Korobeynikova and Pogorilaya
Korobeynikova less probably.
Pogorilaya - who knows? Girl, who at Natonal level competitions (i.e. Russian Cup Events and Nationals) had at 2010/11 scopes 119.31-123.26, at 2011/12 141.51-144.31, at 2012/13 170.86-176.58 - will she progress next season? And if will - how?
And don't forget Lipnitskaia.

It was a situation at 2011/12 before Nationals when all were sure that third spot for Euro is for Biryukova or Shelepen, who will skate better at Nationals (these two were at about same level before Nationals and much better than other competitors, except Leonova and Makarova).
Both Biryukova and Shelepen had many mistakes, Korobeynikova's skating was not clean but better then their skating.
And unpredictably Korobeynikova earned spot to Euro. And also unpredictably was at Euro 4th and best of Russian ladies. After that - her 19th place at Worlds, also unpedictable.

Ladies are so unpredictable!

hanca

Record Breaker
Ladies are so unpredictable!

I agree that ladies are unpredictable, but that makes it more interesting to watch. Unlike men and dance. In dance you have gold and silver already taken before the competition start and the fight is only for bronze, in men you know that it will be Chan no matter how many times he is going to fall...

Trewyn

Medalist
I agree there's no sense in commenting in Liza's weight. We have no way of knowing her situation, weight gain doesn't necessarily have anything to do with (bad) eating habits. Only Liza and her team know what's best for her body, her health and her skating.

Liza is capable of greatness, sometimes I see her skate and see "future Olympic champion". Not so at WTT, but it's too early to tell what the next season will bring. She's not a 'lock' for the Russian Olympic team, but then neither is Adelina. Russian Nats will be such a nailbiter! Personally, of all the Russian youngsters, she's my favourite. I love her 'Mona Lisa' smile.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some skaters grow tall when they go through puberty, then fill out after that. That causes a double whammy because there is first the adjustment to the long legs, and then another adjustment once the hips fill out. Skaters who rely on fast rotation are the most vulnerable to both of these changes.

Liza has a different problem. She hasn't grown heightwise, but her body is definitely broader, and not just in hips and chest (she still doesn't have hips and is pretty flatchested). Her FRAME is changing---it's getting bigger. That portends still more body changes which could be further disruptive to her jumps. This is coming at the worst possible time, right before Sochi, but it isn't exactly unexpected. Tuktamysheva could come back in a year or two, like Slutskaya did after her bout with puberty, even better than ever. But right now, she's not competitive.

w_darling

On the Ice
as a long-time lurker here, i must emerge with a question to ask: has liza or anyone on her team made comments about excessive snacking/eating? i've never seen anything to that effect but i also don't tend to follow interviews and other stuff.

i ask because, whilst lurking here and there among threads, i've noticed that some posters have a propensity for making comments about liza's weight/body/eating habits which to me seem to amount to little more than unwarranted body-snarking but what do i know? i'm just another fan and not a very intense one at that. however, as someone who has done sport before, i suspect that mishin and liza probably do watch her diet carefully already; it's part and parcel of being athlete and making sure that one is fit and ready for competition. but, hey, maybe these few posters are privy to some special nutrition secrets that the rest of the world remains in the dark about! otherwise, i cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone would want to encourage dangerous eating habits and disorders for liza or any of our athletes.

[/sarcasm]

ForeverFish

Medalist
as a long-time lurker here, i must emerge with a question to ask: has liza or anyone on her team made comments about excessive snacking/eating? i've never seen anything to that effect but i also don't tend to follow interviews and other stuff.

i ask because, whilst lurking here and there among threads, i've noticed that some posters have a propensity for making comments about liza's weight/body/eating habits which to me seem to amount to little more than unwarranted body-snarking but what do i know? i'm just another fan and not a very intense one at that. however, as someone who has done sport before, i suspect that mishin and liza probably do watch her diet carefully already; it's part and parcel of being athlete and making sure that one is fit and ready for competition. but, hey, maybe these few posters are privy to some special nutrition secrets that the rest of the world remains in the dark about! otherwise, i cannot for the life of me fathom why anyone would want to encourage dangerous eating habits and disorders for liza or any of our athletes.

[/sarcasm]

Welcome, w_darling! Post long and post often!

As to your question about Liza's eating habits, all we really know is that, like any other teenage girl, she enjoys ice cream. At her level of skating and athleticism, she and her coach are most definitely monitoring her diet and keeping to a strict training schedule--and I like to think that Liza herself has some measure of self-control. I agree that the criticism about her weight is unnecessary, destructive, and rude. This, after all, is how potentially life-threatening eating disorders begin.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
Just watchd Julia Lipnitskaya for the 1st.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox2yALLp0Fg

Despite all the hype, I don't think she has a lot of potential if judges score her fairly. Her skating skills are extremely poor compared to other teenager hopefuls. The stroking is very laboured. Her jump technique is not pretty with no flow at all. There is absolutely no transition in the program. I don't think she's better than Adelina or Liz.

ForeverFish

Medalist

Despite all the hype, I don't think she has a lot of potential if judges score her fairly. Her skating skills are extremely poor compared to other teenager hopefuls. The stroking is very laboured. Her jump technique is not pretty with no flow at all. There is absolutely no transition in the program. I don't think she's better than Adelina or Liz.

ITA. All Lipnitskaia really has, IMO, is hyper-flexibility that adds difficulty to her programs. I very much question if she'll be able to hang onto her jumps after puberty, especially the 2A, which is wonky enough as it is.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
ITA. All Lipnitskaia really has, IMO, is hyper-flexibility that adds difficulty to her programs. I very much question if she'll be able to hang onto her jumps after puberty, especially the 2A, which is wonky enough as it is.

I always heard xxxx had shallow edge. It's kind of funny nobody seems to notice that Julia has no 'edge' at all. She pretty much walks on ice rather than skate.

vera01

Final Flight

I always heard xxxx had shallow edge. It's kind of funny nobody seems to notice that Julia has no 'edge' at all. She pretty much walks on ice rather than skate.

Agreed. I would've said Lipnitskaia has potential if she was artistic, like Sasha, but she isn't at all..

hurrah

Medalist
I saw Liza live at World Trophy, and she isn't fat. In fact, her fat composition is still that of a young teenager and she has yet to fill out completely. But her frame is quite broad, so once she becomes a woman, who knows. I thought Liza looked really stressed. She had dark rings under her eyes that she tried to cover with makeup.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

Julia was a bit slow at Junior Worlds but compare her edging at Pre-Injury in Finlandia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyLQEtsZM7U, it changed after her injury, given that we will have to wait this coming season how she has taken her stroking

Country
Russia
Too bad Radionova is not eligible, she's like the best skater in Russia right now.
When Radionova will be eligible, she will have puberty problems.
So her level at that time is also unpredictable.

Remember how good was Sotnikova at 2010/2011 - solid 3Lz+3Lo, only first places at all the competitions of season - JGP Events and Final, JrWorlds, SrNationals.
Radionova is in Sotnikova's age of that season.