Max Aaron | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Two pieces of Max news are in TSL's "9/15" This and That video (published on Sep 16 in fact).

The part about Max starts at approx. 48:19, and lasts for about five minutes.

- Dave called Tom Z to find out more about the music selections for The Lion King program. According to Dave, Tom said that the Elton John "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" section is being replaced. https://youtu.be/L4nEatPbST0?t=50m19s (50:19)
Dave said the new part would be "He Lives In You"? Does he mean "They Live In You"? http://video.disney.com/watch/they-...ion-king-on-broadway-4db21413731946369f6e4fbe

- Max had a blade issue before leaving for Lombardia. https://youtu.be/L4nEatPbST0?t=51m37s (51:37)
Apparently it was resolved. Just a blip, I hope.​

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't watched the This and That because the comments under the video on Facebook told me that Dave probably gleefully ripped Lion King apart and probably put the boot in a couple of times too. So they can go jump and I just won't watch it.

I'm a bit sad to hear that Can You Feel The Love Tonight is gone, though. I really liked that slow part. I hope this is Max's decision and not Mr Mills tinkering with what doesn't need to be tinkered with again...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I haven't watched the This and That because the comments under the video on Facebook told me that Dave probably gleefully ripped Lion King apart and probably put the boot in a couple of times too. So they can go jump and I just won't watch it.

I'm a bit sad to hear that Can You Feel The Love Tonight is gone, though. I really liked that slow part. I hope this is Max's decision and not Mr Mills tinkering with what doesn't need to be tinkered with again...

Forgot to say: Dave seemed to think that the music change will take place after Autumn Classic, and before GPs. I don't know whether Tom Z said that outright, or whether Dave is making an assumption about the timing.
Just wanted to be clear that if the music is unchanged at Autumn Classic, doesn't mean that it won't be changed before the GPs -- if Dave is correct.

I totally understand about not watching TSL. I purposely did not write anything about Dave's opinions of Max and The Lion King ... partly b/c I am lazy, but also partly b/c I do not want to promote Dave's opinions. [Or the opinions of the outspoken guest commentator (in place of Jenny).]

(I did put the TSL links with time-stamps in my post -- in case anyone does care to listen. Don't want anyone to have to sit through over 45 minutes of other stuff before the discussion of Lombardia.)

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist

I've wondered if something personal happened between Max and TSL. They've seemed more neutral or positive towards other Tom Z skaters. That aside, I'm not really excited if a skater is having issues in September. After all, this is the time to deal with them. (I also don't get too excited about skaters doing well at this point in the season either.)

I totally understand about not watching TSL.

I haven't watched TSL yet this season, and unless Dave does something noteworthly, I probably won't. Too many examples for one post, but I feel that some of the "gossip" that they discussed last season (particularly around Worlds) was really unprofessional. I also think a lot of their analysis is a tad :confused:.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cong Han launched his Youku channel to promote figure skating. Look who's here: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTcyOTY2ODk1Mg==.html?f=28186329&o=1&spm=0.0.playList.5~5~A.Zx2mH9;)
Sorry if already posted. I just found out.

A six-second video msg from Max is on the Youku channel that Sorrento and VB posted about in Hanyu's and Patrick's fan threads.
The link to Max's video:

I don't know anything about Youku. Found that it was slow to load on my not-powerful laptop.
Just posting Max's video here for the sake of completeness. Not complaining, but the background noise (backstage at a gala, I think) makes it a little hard to hear Max speak about his love of skating. His grin at the end is sweet.

Nice that Cong included Max :cool:.
Hope that some viewers in China will give a little extra cheer for Max at Cup of China :yay:.

Re TSL: Just want to reiterate that I never have been a cheerleader for everything that they do/say. Among my criticisms of them, I especially dislike their many moments of snarkiness -- against lots of skaters. But at the moments when TSL cares to put on its serious-journalism hat, I respect that it has good sources and good access that enable some real reporting. Apparently Tom Z is one of the coaches who are fine with sharing some information that they know Dave will use for TSL. But as I said before, I certainly am not trying to promote TSL.

ETA:
Very cute photo of the Aaron family's doggie:
Old photo of Maddie with Zeke the doggie:
I think the very old photo of Max as a young boy sprawled on the floor with a doggie might also be with Zeke ... but the NBC Olympics link no longer works :sad4:.​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Complete version of The Lion King is at the link below.
It is recorded from the official streaming -- uninterrupted streaming. (Or very close to uninterrupted streaming, I believe.)

https://youtu.be/XUV0W1F8Q5o (7:31, posted Sep 17)
(Uploader warns/apologizes that it might not be viewable within Germany.)​

Really loving this program :luv17:.

A few videos of Shoma and Jason (and Max in one of them). I think it's before the medal ceremony:

https://youtu.be/zVci3Qy9Lgo
https://youtu.be/4vrlaCbty74
https://youtu.be/_jC49hxoZ4Y

I'd love to know what they're talking about! Also I wonder, do they speak English? Or Japanese? Or both?

Copying Mrs. P's post from the Lombardia videos thread.
Max is seen near the end of the second video ... joining Shoma and Jason as they wait for the medal ceremony.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
- Dave called Tom Z to find out more about the music selections for The Lion King program. According to Dave, Tom said that the Elton John "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" section is being replaced. https://youtu.be/L4nEatPbST0?t=50m19s (50:19)
Dave said the new part would be "He Lives In You"? Does he mean "They Live In You"? http://video.disney.com/watch/they-...ion-king-on-broadway-4db21413731946369f6e4fbe

Your link doesn't seem to be working, but my guess would perhaps be "He Lives In You" from The Lion King 2? (Aside: IMO, "Simba's Pride" is one of the few Disney sequels that was really good in its own right. It also had plenty of good music. Perhaps there is scope for a sequel to this FS, too? :laugh: )

Although now my trip down the Youtube rabbit hole suggests there is a song called "He Lives In You" in the Broadway production? Listening to it, it seems like the sequel movie song is a shortened version of this song.

Wait, there's no mountain too great
Hear the words and have faith...

Interesting substitution, a much slower love song to this...

Love the full version of the Lion King from that better angle. But it still kind of makes me a bit sad that the Can You Feel The Love Tonight section is being chacked. Some choreo changes in the making, I guess, which makes me wary. In a way, as much as the techno part is fun, I almost feel like it would be a bit better to sub out the techno part for He Lives In You.

I'm sure SnuggleLion knows what he's doing. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Your link doesn't seem to be working, but my guess would perhaps be "He Lives In You" from The Lion King 2? ...

Although now my trip down the Youtube rabbit hole suggests there is a song called "He Lives In You" in the Broadway production? Listening to it, it seems like the sequel movie song is a shortened version of this song.

Wait, there's no mountain too great
Hear the words and have faith...

Interesting substitution, a much slower love song to this...

Love the full version of the Lion King from that better angle. But it still kind of makes me a bit sad that the Can You Feel The Love Tonight section is being chacked. Some choreo changes in the making, I guess, which makes me wary. In a way, as much as the techno part is fun, I almost feel like it would be a bit better to sub out the techno part for He Lives In You.

I'm sure SnuggleLion knows what he's doing. ;)

TomZ posted a new and fairly long clip of Max's free skate. I can't tell but i think this could be new music for it... maybe

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKrAeEUAt-H/

Thanks very much, Stitch :).
From what I can hear, I feel reasonably sure that you are correct that the words and melody are from the new selection of "He Lives In You."
I like this video a lot. Max really "gets" the music and enjoys skating to it, I think.
And it is great that Ben Agosto :bow: is there to work with SnuggleLion when Phillip Mills is not around.
Really look forward to seeing the revised program at the Autumn Classic.

karne, sorry that the Disney link did not work for you. (It does work in the U.S.)
The Disney video has lyrics written out for "They Live In You" -- but thanks to your links, I can see/hear that it is essentially the same song as "He Lives In You." Just a different pronoun :laugh:.

Max is one of the many Lombardia participants who added his signature to a pair of Edea skates to help raise money for the Italian Red Cross after the August earthquake in central Italy.
Mirai, Jason, Grant, Tom Z, and Kori also signed ... as well as many others at Lombardia.

ETA (on Sep 25):
Max tweeted about the fundraising for the Italian Red Cross:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Gathering some links for :bmrk: 2016 SKATE CANADA AUTUMN CLASSIC INTERNATIONAL :bmrk:

Skate Canada event page:

Fri, Sep 30 | 19:30 SENIOR MEN SHORT PROGRAM

Sat, Oct 1 | 19:40 SENIOR MEN FREE SKATING
(Don't want to jinx Max, but in case relevant: Victory Ceremony for Senior Men will take place on ice.)​

Live streaming begins Thu Sep 29 10:30 pm CEST (which I think is 4:30 pm local time; Junior Men SP starts at 4:40 pm).

Color-coded schedule (as of Sep 1):

Thu, Sep 29 | 14:10 SM S/F practice (Rink 4, which is the competition rink)
Fri, Sep 30 | 11:30 SM S practice (Rink 4)
Sat, Oct 1 | 11:00 SM F practice (Rink 4)​

ISU event page:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am glad I will have Autumn Classic to distract me from what should have been next weekend.

Looking forward to it. Max and some Team Australia awesomeness AND it's all at decent hours for me. Oh AND it's a long weekend. Score, score, score! :yes:

Though I do have to say one thing, because it bugs me when I'm looking at ALL international comps. I wish it was mandatory for the organising committee to note on their schedule pages what time zone they're in! It surely wouldn't kill them to do so and it helps those of us who have to do some pretty radical conversions. I had to zoom out considerably on the map on Skate Canada's event page to figure out that this place was very close to Montreal. And don't get me started on IceNotwork and their streaming schedule pages which are always listed in "eastern" time (yes, because that's so helpful for non-Americans, IceNotwork).

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Good Luck to Max at the Autumn Classic! :yahoo:

Though I do have to say one thing, because it bugs me when I'm looking at ALL international comps. I wish it was mandatory for the organising committee to note on their schedule pages what time zone they're in! It surely wouldn't kill them to do so and it helps those of us who have to do some pretty radical conversions. I had to zoom out considerably on the map on Skate Canada's event page to figure out that this place was very close to Montreal. And don't get me started on IceNotwork and their streaming schedule pages which are always listed in "eastern" time (yes, because that's so helpful for non-Americans, IceNotwork).

What would be better is if they would be add a "your local time" that would adjust depending where your IP address is located. It can't be that difficult to program it as a "column" on the webpage - I've seen it all the time in just about every other sport's schedules.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am glad I will have Autumn Classic to distract me from what should have been next weekend.

Looking forward to it. Max and some Team Australia awesomeness AND it's all at decent hours for me. Oh AND it's a long weekend. Score, score, score! :yes:

Though I do have to say one thing, because it bugs me when I'm looking at ALL international comps. I wish it was mandatory for the organising committee to note on their schedule pages what time zone they're in! It surely wouldn't kill them to do so and it helps those of us who have to do some pretty radical conversions. I had to zoom out considerably on the map on Skate Canada's event page to figure out that this place was very close to Montreal. ...

Glad that the hours work out well for you, karne :).

:agree: Agree that it would be helpful for the local time zone to become a standard piece of information.

... And don't get me started on IceNotwork and their streaming schedule pages which are always listed in "eastern" time (yes, because that's so helpful for non-Americans, IceNotwork).

That said, I will stick up in this case for the far-from-perfect-in-general IN, and say that Eastern Time almost always is the default format for events happening in the U.S.
For example, when a U.S. TV network is promoting a nationwide live broadcast of a basketball game taking place in Colorado, the national TV schedule usually is given as, "9 pm ET." Or maybe "9 pm ET/8 pm CT" (Central Time). [Once in a while, a schedule will mention Pacific Time. Mountain Time almost never is mentioned.]

(Meanwhile, I was scratching my head over the use of CEST on the Dailymotion page for Autumn Classic .... but whatever.)

BTW/FWIW: For the last two years, Skate Canada has archived Autumn Classic streaming (even divided into individual programs).
And has offered live streaming of Autumn Classic practices.
But ... I have not seen any official guarantees for this year regarding either. Fingers crossed that this year will be the same on both scores.

ETA (on Sep 28):

Unfortunate news from Skate Canada:
... competition only for the streaming #ACI16
https://twitter.com/SkateCanada/status/781207970256392192 (Sep 28)​

Another URL for live streaming is below. I think it's the same page reached by the previously posted URL, and I think both the old and new URLs work.

The live streaming now is embedded on the Skate Canada event page as well:

ETA, hashtags per Skate Canada:
#ACI16
#ICA16 (in French)​

ETA (on Sep 28), location tag:

ETA (on Sep 28), USFS fanzone Competition Central page:

ETA (on Sep 29):

Max is in Practice Group today at 15:45 -- with Samohin, Hanyu, Saldana, Ge:
Thx to alia jackson for posting the link in Hanyu's Fan Fest http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?35500-Yuzuru-Hanyu&p=1492595&viewfull=1#post1492595

Last edited:

futurepupdoc

Rinkside
Do not/not/not want to jinx Max from having a great season.

Just noting that IN has an article today about long-shot prognostications for 2016-17.
Among the going-out-on-a-limb predictions for the men's discipline, here are the ones that mention U.S. men:

.... Luchianov: "Max Aaron will claim the world bronze medal."

McCarvel: "The American men will earn back their third spot for the PyeongChang Olympics."

.... Brannen: "More of a quavery guess than a bold prediction, because Jason Brown might very well take his title back, but going out on a shaky limb: Nathan Chen wins the 2017 U.S. title."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/09/16/192411118 (Sep 16)​

:agree: Nice to see you here in Max's fan thread, futurepupdoc. Agree with everything in your post.
Go, Max :yay:.

I love to watch someone challenge and improve their skating. It is why I love the sport so much. Many may not see the artistic improvement that Max has made but I do, and I know how much goes into these small changes. Max knows he must improve this area of his skating so he is not backing down. Not everyone will approve of his journey but it is his and as long as he and Mr. Mills own their work, the result will be wonderful. Each skater has his own challenges even the World Champions I am sure, but it is how a skater handles these challenges that makes them a Champion! In my mind Max is already a champion for trying so hard to improve.

Thanks for the welcome. It is my first time in a fan fest. I love all the skaters but I felt that Max was getting some harsh comments regarding his new program so I wanted to come here and show some support.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Lion King - Simba Grown: Max Aaron’s New Long Program

Definitely worth reading the entirety of Phillip's new (not-too-long) blog post today. Excerpt:
“The Lion King” is another stop on Max Aaron’s artistic journey to bring his choreographic interpretation up to his superior athletic jumping so that he can represent himself and his country with the same pride that Simba has in protecting and guiding all the animals in the kingdom.

Wishing Max the best of luck at the Autumn Classic :yay:.

I love to watch someone challenge and improve their skating. It is why I love the sport so much. Many may not see the artistic improvement that Max has made but I do, and I know how much goes into these small changes. Max knows he must improve this area of his skating so he is not backing down. Not everyone will approve of his journey but it is his and as long as he and Mr. Mills own their work, the result will be wonderful. Each skater has his own challenges even the World Champions I am sure, but it is how a skater handles these challenges that makes them a Champion! In my mind Max is already a champion for trying so hard to improve.

Thanks for the welcome. It is my first time in a fan fest. I love all the skaters but I felt that Max was getting some harsh comments regarding his new program so I wanted to come here and show some support.

:agree: Thanks for sharing these wonderful thoughts, futurepupdoc. :luv17: Brought tears to my eyes. So happy for Max to have your support.
Hope you will keep posting here.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Definitely worth reading the entirety of Phillip's new (not-too-long) blog post today. Excerpt:
“The Lion King” is another stop on Max Aaron’s artistic journey to bring his choreographic interpretation up to his superior athletic jumping so that he can represent himself and his country with the same pride that Simba has in protecting and guiding all the animals in the kingdom.

Very interesting thoughts from Phillip Mills. Thanks for posting! I think this program is going to be a real winner for Max! He's already off to a great start with it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Welcome also, futurepupdoc! :ghug:

Unfortunately, as you will soon learn, Max attracts harsh comments always, no matter how good his programs or his skating. It why this fan fest is so great :ghug:

Wishing Max the best of luck at the Autumn Classic :yay:.

Max as the proud lion king fighting off the impostors to protect his pride...oh yes, I enjoy that visual very much. :love:

futurepupdoc

Rinkside
Thanks Karne and ice coverage. I love all the skaters and I understand that fans can get HARSH. No need for that in my mind. Even if someone is not your favorite it is easy with the elite nature of skating to find something positive in all skaters performances. I can't wait to see The Lion King soar....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max is second in the first group in the start order for the SP at Autumn Classic today.

19:40:00 Warm-up
19:46:30 1 Misha Ge UZB
19:52:15 2 Max Aaron USA
19:58:00 3 Nicholas Vrdoljak CRO
20:03:45 4 Harry Mattick GBR
20:09:30 5 Javier Raya ESP

Full start order/schedule here:

(The start order was not on the Skate Canada site, last I checked.)

Go, Max :yay:.

Passing through to leave this here, thought you guys would enjoy :agree:

https://twitter.com/michlmint/status/781892705525923840

Thx, Lysambre :).

Upnight's mini-video of Max practicing spins yesterday (sharing the ice with Hanyu and Samohin):

Max and Tom Z are in the first photo in the Backstage at Autumn Classic gallery on IN.