Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

desertskates

Medalist
I'm going to add a new emotion to the mix: tired. She's lovely, she always has been, and I'm a huge fan. But she seems tired.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
She only got level 3 in her step sequence (She always got level 4 since 2009)

?? she got mainly level 3's for footwork in 2009 and after, including in vancouver olympics and 2011 world championships.
I thought she didn't get level 4 until 2013 worlds

she will win anyway!

YunaBliss

On the Ice
She's seemed to be over skating for quite some time now. Sad to see, really.

You cannot do what Yuna does by being "over skating for quite some time". What Yuna produced tonight requires incredible hard work, commitment and passion. There is a reason why no one else on this earth seems to be able to do what she does, day-in, day-out.

daphna

On the Ice
Kim is amazing and will always give it 200% on the ice, but there was NO JOY there at all. Carolina was close to tears, Adelina was ecstatic, but Kim showed no emotion despite skating a superb performance. She skates in Sochi for Korea, not for herself. It had nothing to do with the score, she looked dejected throught the entire thing.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim is so technically sound that she can just go out on the ice and checklist everything, which is a skill no other female skater has had. Kim has said it over and over again that all she wants is to be done with competitive skating, and for the Olympics to be over. I (and many others) don't feel the joy or passion from her anymore. Feel free to disagree, but it is a sentiment many ppl share.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
So you would rather have her jump up and down and giggle like a 16-year old skater who freshly joined the senior ranks after every performance and when her score is announced? Yuna always displays a cool demeanor (and part of it is certainly cultural), which befits a reigning Olympic Champion and World's No. 1. I think Yuna and Tiger Woods share some similarities in how focused and driven they are, and I mean that in a good way.

This "no joy" thing is really ridiculous.

gourry

Final Flight
She's just a Zen master.

lol
I seriously think that she reached to certain zen level. When you reach that state of peaceful mind, you don't get overly happy nor overly sad. Staying calm comes with a bit of price I think.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
So you would rather have her jump up and down and giggle like a 16-year old skater who freshly joined the senior ranks after every performance and when her score is announced? Yuna always displays a cool demeanor (and part of it is certainly cultural), which befits a reigning Olympic Champion and World's No. 1. I think Yuna and Tiger Woods share some similarities in how focused and driven they are, and I mean that in a good way.

This "no joy" thing is really ridiculous.

I want to see something close to Caro's emotion in performing Ave Maria, or the Danse Macabre, Bond, Gershwin Yuna, when she went into those performances looking like she was fired up and engaged in her program.

You're entitled to your opinion, as others are entitled to theirs. There's a difference between "cool/zen" and "disengaged/resigned".

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Also, if you are Yuna, would you really want to laugh out like you just won a lottery everytime you get a good score?? How would THAT look to the rest of the world who are fans of other skaters? Modesty is a virtue.

daphna

On the Ice
lilahozi - ITA. she was just blank, no expression whatsoever. I realize she's not the most emotional skater, but to skate a masterpiece of a SP at the OLYMPICS and barely even smile about it.. makes me sad.
ETA - take a look at her 2010 skates. there was alot of emotion in both, even if somewhat muted. In sochi, she just wants it over, IMO.

bebevia

On the Ice
I (and many others) don't feel the joy or passion from her anymore. Feel free to disagree, but it is a sentiment many ppl share.
Well... The atmosphere of the program is supposed to be sad and suppressed... so...
Not what I'd call an Olympic style (=statement piece, though quality is great), which is why I wasn't satisfied with the choreography, but she played her part.
I kinda think, with her looking nervous, she put too much emotion than should. It wasn't her best either, but best of the day.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Gracie isn't done ;)
so your Queen cant rest her laueals yet

no more inflated Vancouver score for the so called "Queen" Yuna

lol it looks like Yuna rather got a slightly deflated score like she did last year at the world championships on her sp (I was a bit surprised at the LVL3 Stsq I thought she usually got 4), but I'm so excited for Gracie I hope she skates clean tomorrow. :)

letitgo

Spectator
You guys don't know the pressure she's under.
One little smile or frown, the media will write up some absurd assumption over it.
She just has a high level of concentration.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna hasn't been skating for herself since Vancouver. She's just doing her duty for her country in getting 3 spots last year at Worlds.

Horizon

Rinkside
This is getting asbsurd. Comparing her to 2010, first of all she is much older now so she has probably matured more.

Second her program at 2010 SP was Bond so it was supposed to be more energetic and fierce while her SP here was supposed to be more calm and emotional.

Third, Yuna was disengaged and lacked motivation in 2010, 2011 worlds but 2013 worlds onwards she found the magic again and is not just competing for Korea and the youngsters.

If she was just skating for that she wouldn't be dominating like she was right now. She would be lacking that something like she did in 2010, 2011. Yuna practiced 6-8 hours everyday for this Olympics, calling someone unmotivated while pulling off long practices everyday is an insult to the athlete's hard work.

And yes you can dislike her skating and find it not special but really going far as saying she is like a robot with no emotion and has no motivation is just plain rude.

And finally to add, some people are more open with their emotions than others, Yuna not being overly happy after the performance doesn't mean that she isn't motivated. It could be that she is holding it up until after the free skate like in 2010 or just that she is more introverted so keeps her emotions to herself.

Ven

Match Penalty
Yuna smiled during the skate and after. I'm not sure what some of you are looking at. Probably just spamming pre-determined talking points.