Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Olympic Thread

soaringsea

Spectator
Actually, I've been reading news articles and tweets from those in the figure skating world who have been in both Yuna's and the other ladies' shoes as well as expert coaches/judges. The majority seems to disagree with your sentiments, and that Yuna was rather elegant and sophisticated an ode back to the "olden" days of skating.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Yuna is cool as a cucumber and holds up really well under pressure. You could tell she was smiling with relief after she finished. I don't buy the whole "enjoying her last Olympics" bit though. I think she is still under a lot of pressure- not sure if it's more or less than Vancouver Olympics though. IMO, someone who is enjoying their last skate would perform and look the way Daisuke did in his LP - just smiling and skating with joy. Yuna said herself she was nervous b/c her practice before the program was not great, and her legs felt different. And yet she was still able to pull off that program and all those clean jumps- very impressive.

Icey

Record Breaker
caro's emotion in skating Ave Maria? You really saw something exceptional there. Seemed somewhat perfunctory to me, but that was the case with most of the skaters today.

mwk81

Rinkside
I found that she skates like an ice dancer (if that makes sense). She just glides effortlessly

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^There's a lightness to Yuna Kim's skating that I don't see any other skater deliver. Her jumps are incredibly high and big, and yet her landings are so airy and feather-light. It almost seems like she's floating down onto the ice.

Icey

Record Breaker
She skated an amazing SP, but didn't look happy. not dissapointed, of course, just not happy. I wonder how much pressure is/was put on her to keep skating vs. how much she really wants it.
Your thoughts?

This music calls for wistfulness, not happy looks.

starrynight

On the Ice
Her skate is, to me, deeply emotional and sophisticated. Another masterpiece and a precious farewell souvenir.

Jewels

On the Ice
She didn't look unhappy. She looked relieved after her skating. I could tell she wasn't so happy with her scores though, which I agree on.

Enero

On the Ice
Yuna was fantastic. Such an emotional performance. I thought her score was low too. IMO she should most certainly be more than .2 points ahead.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Also I like that Yuna didn't change her yellow costume even after hearing all the negative feedback on it after Zagreb. It was cool that she stuck to her guns on that.

tetana

Rinkside
I agree. I didn't like her yellow costume for the first time. However, it became one of my favorite costumes.

About score, I hope I don't see any more olympic performance in Russia in my future. Very disappointed.

ivy

On the Ice
Watching all the SP on replay from CBC. Rewound and watched Yuna twice. Not only were the jumps great I really thought she expressed the music so well. It was the only footwork sequence that the movements really felt like they grew out of the music, rather then just a long check list of turns to get the levels. I only wish she had competed more over the last 4 years so I could have had more moments like that

Becki

Medalist
Yeah.. ): I saw that too.

Wow....didn't they take away the spiral sequence since 2010? So her score of 74 would be equivalent to 78 back then, right?

I think she was expecting to hit somewhere near her world record score since she's coming in as the reigning WC and OGM BUT I believe she placed most of her jumps in the first half, and not taking advantage of the second half bonus marks.

gourry

Final Flight
To me that program was about bitter-sweetness and nostalgia, and Yuna delivered it perfectly. Absolutely love this program and adore this performance.
I'm soooooo happy that Yuna had a sublime performance even under such nerves.
And wish she can have a stunning performance again tomorrow! That will be a perfect closure no matter what the result will be.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Funny I called my mom and told her to watch the sp ladies. She studied dance for years and prefers ice dance but she watched the whole thing. Afterwards she said there were a lot of good programs but the Korean girl in the yellow dress who skated to Send in the Clowns was her favorite. She remarked how moving the whole skate was and how athletic that skater was. Of course it was Yuna and I explained who she was and she said I sure hope she gets the gold medal because she is the best.

bebevia

On the Ice
Wow....didn't they take away the spiral sequence since 2010? So her score of 74 would be equivalent to 78 back then, right?

I think she was expecting to hit somewhere near her world record score since she's coming in as the reigning WC and OGM BUT I believe she placed most of her jumps in the first half, and not taking advantage of the second half bonus marks.
Yuna watched the Team's and Men's live, so I guess she expected something consistent with those. In fact, she always first explains reporters at interviews about details on what she did wrong, where the scores were higher or lower than expected. This time, she just talked about where she could do better, what went wrong, and how the scores may have been also affected by the early performance. I think she'll make a great judge, if she tried.

Talking about live spectating, she might just be one of those few (if any) to be actually cruising and enjoying the Olympics, as she planned, even before she's done competing. lol. It's not like she has a rink to practice outside the official rinks like other top countries, so she's got time on her hands.