Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I also don't buy this inconsistency bs. She was very strong in her last 3 competitions.

Well I think as long as she can peak towards the end of the season she will be fine. You are right about her last three competitions being strong though. I just don't know if she can carry this form through and entire season like Julia.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, Julia in comparison had two weak competitions... She failed to peak in the individual and at Worlds and peaked in the team and GPF. Sotnikova did an ideal build starting with Russian Nationals, Euros, then Sochi. Julia's was GPF, Russian Nationals, Euros, Team event, and she couldn't hold on to her consistency for individual event and Worlds.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't think Adelina could have become World Champion, but a Podium finish was possible. On the other hand anything but the podium would have been embarassing, so she was pretty wise to stay at home. Interestingly enough it might have been a bad decision anyway, because now Pogo made her stand on the World stage instead. I think if Adelina continues she cannot allow herself many weak competitions next season, because of the deep russian field. I cannot see them leaving her at home, but you never know.

Vicky458

On the Ice
Adelina skipping worlds...weak. Hanyu not only showed up, but won. Yuna showed up to worlds after olympics last time even though she had nothing to prove. THAT is gutsy. We will see whether Adelina shows ANY staying power or will be a flash in the pan a la Tara.
And another flash in the pan Sarah who never won anything except the OGM. At least Tara did win US Nationals and Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Well, Julia in comparison had two weak competitions... She failed to peak in the individual and at Worlds and peaked in the team and GPF. Sotnikova did an ideal build starting with Russian Nationals, Euros, then Sochi. Julia's was GPF, Russian Nationals, Euros, Team event, and she couldn't hold on to her consistency for individual event and Worlds.

Julia had a total of what ? total of 18 skates total in SP and LP in 9 competitions
Adelina had like 6 competitions ( though Adelina usually peaks later )

Nadya

On the Ice
ROTFL do not take what I said out of context (I can already smell a Kwaniac a mile away and your tone of that post shows that is the category you fall under). I never implied Tara has a greater overall legacy in the sport than Kwan, a greater career, is a greater champion today, and is a greater star. However for 15 months, on the ice in competitions she dominated everyone, Kwan included. That is a fact. She entered 6 major events those two seasons (missing 1) and won 5. She met Michelle in 5 of those and won 4 of 5. So yes she compiled a series of wins, and did it by dominating the great Kwan in that stretch to do so. Yes she doesnt have impressive longevity, but she cant be compared to Sotnikova who right now is truly a 1 event wonder, and who has such a huge controversy tagged to that one victory (which Tara has to none of her wins) that it drags down its value somewhat anyway.
I don't believe Tara's Olympic win over Michelle was completely free of controversy or bitterness, not to Kwan's camp anyway.

fruitbasket

Rinkside
Why in the world would the Russian federation not let their gold medal winner go to worlds? :think:

2014 sochi, favoritism and inflated scores led sotnikova won gold. all the world know including russian fed.

different judge panels at world, hope fair score, that means, sotnikova will get the scores between 175-190.. scores that she used get from previous competitions

anyanka

Record Breaker
She's busy doing promotional appearances and participating in ice shows. She is now one of the country's most popular stars. She will have had no time to train. Look what two weeks between team and ladies FS did to Yulia, she couldn't find any peace and quiet to train properly. Adelina's probably saw how that affected Yulia's performance and chose to go a different route for her.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I don't believe Tara's Olympic win over Michelle was completely free of controversy or bitterness, not to Kwan's camp anyway.

Although I have accepted that result a decade and a half later, it still kinda bums me out to think about it ... (grrrrr)

Nadya

On the Ice
Actually to Kwan's camp the result, as crushing as it was emotionally, was handled without any complains or controversy at all. Which for Frank Carrol is saying something (he still whines about Poetzsch vs Fratianne 35 years later, and is unwilling to listen to any reason on the subject; even though to the rest of the world it is about 1% the controversy of Sotnikova beating Kim for instance). That alone is telling that Tara probably really did deserve to win that night, Frank keeping his mouth shut. It is pretty much only the extreme Kwanbots that argue the result, but they are alone. I am a Kwan fan who cant stand Lipinski, and badly wanted Michelle to have her Olympic gold at some point, but I cant say it was a controversial result, at most a result that could have gone either way that ended up going to Tara.
That's your take; I've seem plenty of complaints emanating from the Kwan fandom.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And another flash in the pan Sarah who never won anything except the OGM. At least Tara did win US Nationals and Worlds.

Adelina has won FOUR Russian Nationals - tied with Irina Slutskaya. And won silver at Euros twice which isn't negligible.

As for Sarah, she has a slew of GP medals (including gold... in fact she medalled at 10 out of 11 grand prixs, including the GPF where she was 3rd twice), and has a world bronze, so to say she's never won anything isn't exactly fair. She also came back the year after winning the Olympics, knowing she wasn't a sure shot to win anything at Worlds, and even beat Cohen (who was on fire that season) at 2003 Nationals.

Sotnikova will come back next year. She's not going to go out without any other major wins, or at least without attempting to get any other major wins. To those saying she should quit while she's ahead, her Olympic performance would have arguably won any of the GP events this season, so she is by no means ready to hang her skates up nor should she. She's only 17 after all.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Julia had a total of what ? total of 18 skates total in SP and LP in 9 competitions
Adelina had like 6 competitions ( though Adelina usually peaks later )

These numbers and this discrepancy are misleading...

Adelina was doing the Japan Open at the time of Finlandia (so technically, if you could Finlandia as one of Julia's 9 competitions, you have to count Japan Open, so Sotnikova has 7 - or 6.5 if you're being a stickler, even though JO has much stiffer competition than Finlandia).

Then you have to consider Sotnikova was not selected for the team event, even though I'm sure she wanted to compete and would have if given the opportunity (and likely done well).

So, really, the only competition which Julia did that Adelina could have gone to was Worlds.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Adelina might have been a bit of a distraction, but the Japanese audience would've still cheered for her. I'm glad that she pulled out, b/c we got Anna P. instead and gave her the moment to shine (although some of the commentators were perving on her, which is kind of gross since she's 15). Kind of ironic that many thought Anna should've been on the podium instead of Caro whereas many thought that Adelina didn't deserve her placement at the Olympics.

That's your take; I've seem plenty of complaints emanating from the Kwan fandom.

We Kwanies were sad, and some had a feeling of, how could those stupid judges not see how wonderful Michelle is compared to Tara or anyone else?

But there were no allegations of cheating, conspiring, etc.

Nadya

On the Ice
We Kwanies were sad, and some had a feeling of, how could those stupid judges not see how wonderful Michelle is compared to Tara or anyone else?

But there were no allegations of cheating, conspiring, etc.
I agree with this, there was no talk of foul play but I don't think you can argue the decision was...embraced as the right call.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Adelina might have been a bit of a distraction, but the Japanese audience would've still cheered for her. I'm glad that she pulled out, b/c we got Anna P. instead and gave her the moment to shine (although some of the commentators were perving on her, which is kind of gross since she's 15). Kind of ironic that many thought Anna should've been on the podium instead of Caro whereas many thought that Adelina didn't deserve her placement at the Olympics.

Anna P. was the Denis Ten to Carolina Kostner's Patrick Chan, 2013 Worlds. Both had clean SPs, but Kostner being clean gave her an 11 point advantage. Then Kostner bombed the FS to finish 4.5 points behind a technically maxed-out Pogorilaya, but still beat her overall because of the clean SP.

Of course, people assume Pogo was robbed (I for one think she was, just like Ten) because she wasn't as popular as Kostner. And Kostner somehow got 10 points higher PCS for her hot mess of a FS than Pogorilaya. :rolleye: