2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 62 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

giulia95

Medalist
Hi Kalina, now I would be very, very curious to know if Javier keeps the last year SP and has a recycled character for the FS ....:)

not so much fantasy for sure in the team!:biggrin:

It seems the mystery has been solved , based on the interview Javi is working on two brand new programs for Olys , exploring different styles to create something possibly “exceptional” , and I wish him all the best for the new season :).
http://www.hieloespanol.es/1/la_med..._inesperada_un_vuelco_al_corazon_1331015.html

In this case, the analysis of the scenario is that Orser has assured his potential OGM student – as he stated - the same opportunity he assured Yuna in Vancouver , where they were successful and won.

On the other side, Orser has chosen the recycling policy for the student which he believes is not an OGM contender, no matter the pupil had asked for a new SP.

Different strategies and treatments for different skaters who have different potentials in Orser’s mind.:popcorn:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
It seems the mystery has been solved , based on the interview Javi is working on two brand new programs for Olys , exploring different styles to create something possibly “exceptional” , and I wish him all the best for the new season :).
http://www.hieloespanol.es/1/la_med..._inesperada_un_vuelco_al_corazon_1331015.html

In this case, the analysis of the scenario is that Orser has assured his potential OGM student – as he stated - the same opportunity he assured Yuna in Vancouver , where they were successful and won.

On the other side, Orser has chosen the recycling policy for the student which he believes is not an OGM contender, no matter the pupil had asked for a new SP.

Different strategies and treatments for different skaters who have different potentials in Orsers’s mind.:popcorn:
If this is true, it's a WRONG strategy: we all know that Hanyu is a potential OGM contender as much as Javier (SP WR twice last season!), last year he had some health problems in the most important competitions, if it wasn't for that he could have easily been 4CC champion and on the Worlds podium, next year both Yuzuru and Javier could be OGM if Chan/Takahashi/Plushy have an off-day... (but I don't think it is true, I want to believe that FS is not all about politics and strategy :biggrin: )

Robeye

Final Flight
My initial reaction to Yuna's music selections (a variation on the original posted on Yuna's forum). It is, I freely admit, a fan's perspective:

"Send In The Clowns", both musically and thematically, in its melody, pacing, and lyrics, gives voice to the questions raised by sorrow, of chances taken and opportunities missed, and decisions affirmed and regretted. As her fans know, Yuna has at times been ambivalent about the all-consuming emotional and physical neediness of competitive skating as a career. And yet Yuna, not unlike the character Desiree, at the eleventh hour of her eligible life, comes to embrace that this is what she wants, an inescapable part of what defines her.

But the joy of Desiree is tempered by the understanding that the time is late, and the season for enjoyment is short.

The point of departure of "Adios Nonino" is a death, a passing. But, musically, in its tango rhythms and accents (a format that has no choice but to be passionate and vital), and in its melody as sinuously warm as the small of a woman's back in a clinch, one hears, not death, but life, a kind of transcendance through art. We will see each other again, it seems to beam, in our memories, or our dreams, or perhaps in another life...? (metaphorically speaking, at the very least)

In affirming a love whose intensity is only fully recognized at the moment of loss, the music will serve to express, I think, the feelings of Yuna but also that of her fans. A final bond before Yuna physically leaves the competitive stage.

As valedictions, these final choices seem deeply and authentically felt and thought. I can't wait to see the programs.

hanca

Record Breaker
Robeye, I think you are trying to find hidden meaning somewhere where it isn't. Your opinion on why Yu-Na chose these two pieces of music are hilarious. I mean, does all the skaters who skated to Dance Macabre (including Yu-Na a few years ago) have a death wish in your interpretation? Or is the reason more simple - she just likes the music?

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I don't like the idea, but what you said that is a little bit malicious. It's Mishin's idea, Plush didn't want it. Just saying.

I'm sure, if he skates to Romeo and Juliet music you would say he is too old....

When the singers or bands playing their old numbers you used to say that is tribute to themself? Sorry, I became angry..

Trust me, if I wanted to be malicious it would bite a lot more than that. Like it or not a lot people perceive Plushenko's persona as arrogant, whether it's real or not. However he's perfectly entitled to be arrogant because he has the credentials and charisma to pull it off. I was really looking forward to the Romeo & Juliet program because the music is beautiful and I love Kenji Miyamoto's work. I think his age is irrelevant, just like I don't believe Yuzuru is type casting himself as a teenager forever by skating to this music. It's all about conveying the drama and emotion of the music. I did make a comment about Plushenko channeling his youth with this music but that was sarcasm. And when musicians release "greatest hits" albums, they ARE basically making a tribute to themselves and getting extra mileage and cash from old works with minimal effort.

Robeye

Final Flight
Robeye, I think you are trying to find hidden meaning somewhere where it isn't. Your opinion on why Yu-Na chose these two pieces of music are hilarious. I mean, does all the skaters who skated to Dance Macabre (including Yu-Na a few years ago) have a death wish in your interpretation? Or is the reason more simple - she just likes the music?
My money is on the possibility that you don't know what you're talking about, and should learn something about the music being discussed, although it is also possible that your puzzlement stems from imperfect English language fluency. The other theories, are, quite frankly, less charitable.

bara1968

On the Ice
Adios Nonino! Tango Yuna is back! :love:

:party::points::party2::rock: I absolutely loved it!!!!!!!!! Wow, she never really disappoints me in terms of her music choice! Sometimes it made me worry since some of her music - Homage or Vampire - were very new but not really audience/judge friendly. But this time both musics are already known yet not overused or considered as warhorse for Olympics. Adios will be perfectly suited for fierce Yuna, Oh, I just can't wait to see it!!!!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
now its official, Olympics we'll a showdown of Latin/Tango themed musics

but this is Yuna we're talking about she'll bring fire, attack and consistency

ice coverage

Record Breaker
According to Ice Network Evan's new long program is to Don Quixote.
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/08/23/58052748

From the same IN article (Aug 23):

Denis Ten
Carroll is ecstatic about Ten's new programs, a short to Saint-Saens' "Danse Macabre" and free to Shostakovich's "Lady and the Hooligan," both choreographed by Nichol.

LOL, it is not hot-off-the-press news, but I do not see Ten's programs posted earlier in the thread. ;)

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Yuna's SP is ridiculous. I just don't like clowns and I bet you she will go literal and put on clown make up like S/S in 2010.
Her LP could be amazing. I really like her 2007 SP, so I think she can make this warhorse into something special.

The top 3 are skating to warhorse pieces. The one who brings something new to the table will be rewarded.

thinspread

On the Ice
I am not sure whether someone posted it before or not.
Plushenko's LP is a medley from his "the best of the best" long programs: God Father, Adagio, Toska, Tango amore (not sure the translation of pieces is correct).
Don't know what to think of it yet:)confused:
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/11163.html

I like the idea – self-tribute collage for his final skate. So Plushy! No matter what he comes up with it, it will be more interesting than his FS at Vancouver.

Yuna's Final competition Programs.

SP: Send in the clowns
FS: Adios Nonino

Can see Tango Yuna again in her last season.

Send in the clowns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnwJ5KIcKX4&feature=share&list=PLBA78CC4442EC1E0F
FS: Adios Nonino
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTPec8z5vdY

I’m super excited with YuNa’s choices. She will make them work, as always. They do sound like farewell pieces, and it makes me sad already. I wish they use an orchestral version for Adios Nonino.

thinspread

On the Ice
Yuna's SP is ridiculous. I just don't like clowns and I bet you she will go literal and put on clown make up like S/S in 2010.
Her LP could be amazing. I really like her 2007 SP, so I think she can make this warhorse into something special.

The top 3 are skating to warhorse pieces. The one who brings something new to the table will be rewarded.

:laugh: The lyrics aren't really about clowns. I personally didn't get why S/S went full on clown makeup in 2010.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

If Alena Leonova were skating to Clowns I'd be afraid she'd dress up like a clown on the ice. Then again, she's already mastered the Bozo on ice look. Yu-Na isn't that campy so I'm not expecting a full-on clown outfit and makeup. She may not acknowledge the "clown" theme at all or if she does it will be subtle. Her fashion choices aren't always perfect but she's never had a flat out horrible dress which is more than can be said for a number of skaters.

I wouldn't call Adios a warhorse so to speak, not in the truest sense anyway. I think it's a piece of music that's been used before and has recently gotten some decent mileage (Liza T two seasons ago, Kanako last season) but it's not yet at warhorse status. Carolina and Mao are doing the true warhorse routines: Scheherazade and Rach No. 2...we see at least two of those every season. Rachael is also skating to Rach No. 2 this season, though we don't have to worry about her at the Olympics this time around.

I'm looking forward to seeing both of Yu-Na's programs. Clowns should be very lyrical and Adios should be a little sassy and fiery. I thought Kanako's tango last year was amazing so I'm interested to see if Yu-Na can out do her. Most would say of course she can but we'll see...

cornell08

Final Flight
I'm surprised more hasn't been said of how Adios is a signature Lu Chen piece-- not that Yuna can't make it her own...but she's not as sensual as Lulu was, and this is a SENSUAL piece. Sure, she was the sexy bond girl, but sexy and sensual are not quite one and the same.

Krislite

Medalist

Well, Yuna isn't exactly know for her outrageous, literal costumes. They tend more to the abstract or stylized. I'd say she's been luckier than certain other top skaters in the costume department. :laugh:

Moment

Final Flight
Since the 2008-2009 season every one of Yuna costumes has been fantastic, so I woundn't worry about that one.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to seeing both of Yu-Na's programs. Clowns should be very lyrical and Adios should be a little sassy and fiery. I thought Kanako's tango last year was amazing so I'm interested to see if Yu-Na can out do her. Most would say of course she can but we'll see...

I know that is the standard believe of how tango should be, but I'd hope Yuna would able to bring a deeper reading into the music than sassy and fiery.

My initial impression when I heard Adios Ninos in its entirety played out by the composer himself in this clip was the lingering melancholy feel, start being a bit angry masculine (and marching) to somewhat nostalgia weaving through out the sections that hinted is different than the love and passion between a man and a woman, but something grander , dramatic yet ends up strangely peaceful. I found the music to be stirring, full of brimming introspection. Yes there are lively and spirit parts that are jazzy and even a bit meditative, but there are also love, romance, sorrow, memories, nostalgia, sense of longing, pain, remorse, eventually letting go, built into an uplifting mood similar to a tribute; celebration, thankfulness and farewells. The music bridges tango but also some aspect of period romance recalling good nostalgia of early 20th century, and even a sense of innocence and idealism we now hear more from film sound tracks these days. For some reason, it reminded me of Amelie soundtrack and also the mood set out by Edith Piaf's Je ne regrette rien (1960). I recalls the emotions I felt when I hear Randy Newman's 'Avalon' for the more luscious string part, or Cinema paradiso. I might have even heard it from the Meet Joe Black film, his cousin Thomas Newman wrote that OST. The ending from 7.20 onwards remind me something from Joe Hisaishi (who surely must have been influenced by Astor's work?) which caught me completely by surprise.

Upon some search, I found the composer actually rewrote the music as a homage to his father in 1959 in New York, rewrote it in an hour based on hisl Ninnos composition written in Paris back in 1954. (I am glad I found these out, because it means I am not totally crazy regarding the period settings and the geography.) Of course music doesn't have to be faithfully adapt to how it was written, but more of the creative vision of the program set forth by the choreographer and performer. However to me, it is fairly obvious the program was conceived as a farewell program, given the music was written with farewell in mind layered complex feelings mostly about love, thanks, peace and goodbyes . Hopefully it would be done with sensitivity rather than delve into any typical tango cliches. At Yuna's bests, she is capable of embodying the music and deliver her elements like it was nothing but merely part of her emotions. This LP has potential to be one great farewell program and I can already predicting glossy eyes in the audience and more than a few teary applauses.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Alena Leonova were skating to Clowns I'd be afraid she'd dress up like a clown on the ice. Then again, she's already mastered the Bozo on ice look. Yu-Na isn't that campy so I'm not expecting a full-on clown outfit and makeup. She may not acknowledge the "clown" theme at all or if she does it will be subtle. Her fashion choices aren't always perfect but she's never had a flat out horrible dress which is more than can be said for a number of skaters.

I wouldn't call Adios a warhorse so to speak, not in the truest sense anyway. I think it's a piece of music that's been used before and has recently gotten some decent mileage (Liza T two seasons ago, Kanako last season) but it's not yet at warhorse status. Carolina and Mao are doing the true warhorse routines: Scheherazade and Rach No. 2...we see at least two of those every season. Rachael is also skating to Rach No. 2 this season, though we don't have to worry about her at the Olympics this time around.

Send in the Clowns has nothing to do with clowns. It is a nostalgic lament about the ironies of life, especially when it comes to the unexpected.