Where to watch figure skating | Golden Skate

Where to watch figure skating

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
(I hope I'm posting this in the right forum)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch the upcoming season. I like to watch to first and second warm up groups, if possible. And I hate it when the commentators won't shut up- or at least don't say anything informative *coughscottandsandracough*. Should I go with Ice Network, Universal Sports, SNBC, or just trust regular NBC to show enough? Is there anyway I can stream BBC or Eurosport? Are they even showing figure skating?

elee63

Final Flight
There's usually links floating around on this forum, if you go to the thread of that competition

Lambari

Final Flight
Eurosport shows a lot of figure skating competitions and they are great.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ruffled - I REALLY like Universal. It costs me $12.95/month and I can get it on a month to month basis. I have it from Skate America in October thru Worlds. Johnny Weir was one of the main commentators last year and I think he's great at that. To the point, not overly emotional, calls the technical aspect of it, etc. What I hated was when Peter Carruthers was commentating. As much as Sandra and Scott bother me, and I despised listening to Dick Button and his ancient view point, Peter is the worst of them all. I have a feeling Johnny has the job again though. And that's a good thing.

The good thing about Universal is it generally shows all of the skaters in the competition....of course depending on the number in the field. But always the top two groups.

I don't like Ice Network because if you don't have a really highspeed computer it does a lot of buffering and that's hell when you're trying to watch a program. I've also found that they don't put up the broadcast right away in many instances. Universal is real time. You may have to tape some of it because of the time difference but you dont' have to wait.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
(I hope I'm posting this in the right forum)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to watch the upcoming season. I like to watch to first and second warm up groups, if possible. And I hate it when the commentators won't shut up- or at least don't say anything informative *coughscottandsandracough*. Should I go with Ice Network, Universal Sports, SNBC, or just trust regular NBC to show enough? Is there anyway I can stream BBC or Eurosport? Are they even showing figure skating?

FYI regarding NBC coverage of GPs other than Skate America:
IIRC, Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir provided the commentary for the NBC GP broadcasts (again, other than Skate America). And IIRC, I believe Lipinski has said that the same will be true this season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I go with IceNetwork simply because they not only show all skaters and competitions live but they show US Nationals live too. No other cable channel or live stream comes close.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
\And I hate it when the commentators won't shut up- or at least don't say anything informative *coughscottandsandracough*. Should I go with Ice Network, Universal Sports, SNBC, or just trust regular NBC to show enough? Is there anyway I can stream BBC or Eurosport? Are they even showing figure skating?

British Eurosport for the commentary - there are often multiple streams around. The commentary on IceNetwork isn't too bad either, except when they get Michael "TALK ABOUT MYSELF NONSTOP" Weiss.

Johnny Weir was one of the main commentators last year and I think he's great at that. To the point, not overly emotional, calls the technical aspect of it, etc.

At the start of last season I would have agreed with you. I quite enjoyed his commentary at Skate America and Skate Canada. But as the season progressed, his commentary grew more and more bitter and angry and resentful. I still maintain Jeremy and Jason could have done every quad in the book, cartwheels, backflips, and set world record scores at the Olympics and it wouldn't have been good enough for him. He was obviously bitter.

If you are in the US, then I recommend IceNetwork...they've never given me cause for complaint other than their nasty blackout policy. I still do not understand what it at all achieves by locking the watchers in the little countries where NO-ONE buys the TV rights out of events like the SLC Senior B, for crying out loud.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
You don't need to pay if you don't want to.

Last season i just use the streams we share on here. Sometimes it's slow but it didnt bother me at all.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Thank you all for your replies!

I don't like Ice Network because if you don't have a really highspeed computer it does a lot of buffering and that's hell when you're trying to watch a program.
Would 7Mbps be a high enough line speed? I don't mind not watching the comps live, or even being spoiled on who won. I'll probably have to tape some anyway because of work.

noskates

Record Breaker
Karne, I saw and heard nothing bitter in Johnny's commentary. Have also checked with several other figure skating fan friends and they agreed. Not sure where you got that opinion. Personal agenda?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I thoroughly enjoyed Johnny Weir's commentary. It's usually spot on & pretty unbiased. I have Universal Sports & enjoy their coverage for the most part.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If you are in the US, then I recommend IceNetwork...they've never given me cause for complaint other than their nasty blackout policy. I still do not understand what it at all achieves by locking the watchers in the little countries where NO-ONE buys the TV rights out of events like the SLC Senior B, for crying out loud.

Even with the U.S. Senior B it is still an international competition and ISU likely has policies with that regarding broadcasting. The only reason USFSA doesn't have blackouts with U.S. Nationals is because it actually owns the content outright and the ISU has no jurisdiction over national competition.

I do agree that some changes need to be made regarding broadcasting rights/access...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You don't need to pay if you don't want to.

Last season i just use the streams we share on here. Sometimes it's slow but it didnt bother me at all.

Agreed. And awesome posters like Mao88 will usually create compilations of videos links of competitions on Youtube (which hopefully won't get pulled down).

jcoates

Medalist
It is possible to watch British Eurosport if you use a VPN. Hola Unblocker is a free VPN available as an extension in Chrome and Firefox. After installing it, go to the Eurosport player page through Hola rather than your browser address bar. It will change your IP address to the UK just for that website. Then create an account with it and subscribe. Monthly fee for British Eurosport is $6-7 depending on the exchange rate. I used it for worlds this spring. Really high quality stream and works well on slower connections too.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For those wondering whether Icenetwork will work for you, it is offering the whole Glacier Falls Competition for free, and because it is not an ISU event, it is not geoblocked.

It requires Adobe flashplayer and works with Chrome, Firefox or Explorer. It also works on Apple laptops. It is iffy on phones- you have to do work to make it work.

ahy

Final Flight
I like British Eurosport, the commentators are good and on point all the time.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you all for your replies!

Would 7Mbps be a high enough line speed? I don't mind not watching the comps live, or even being spoiled on who won. I'll probably have to tape some anyway because of work.
For the longest time i had only a 10Mbps connection when i had the IceNetwork and for the most part it worked fine.