Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1283 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Placebo11

On the Ice
I'd be devastated if she didn't make it. But we have to be realistic. Her chances are very slim if the other girls will show clean skates. :(

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Yesterday I finally made my mom watch FS with me. I shower her Zhenya's Geisha FS and she was in awe, wanted more afterwards. [emoji16]

Maia96

On the Ice
There are many talented girls in the Russian team but the reality is that there are only 3 spots. All of them would be first in the team of any other nationality. The solution would be that there were more places but unfortunately that is impossible. Therefore, for Zhenya as for all others, it will depend on how much they can work, that they can stay healthy and also on external factors to them.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I love Evgenia, but looking at this weekend she really needs that 4S stat. Compared to Alina who is receiving high PCS and looks to have improved a lot this year and is also cleaner, Alena was the only other non-3A/quad girl until this weekend. Not to bring this up again, but Russia really has an issue with the number of girls that could challenge for world gold and they only have 3 spots for 6 girls. I wish Evgenia had thought about switching to Canada if it was logistically ok, because she’s going to get left behind this year at her current level of skating not to mention the Olympics where Kamila will be senior.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Yes I am also thinking of the possibility of not making the team this year as a blessing in disguise. After all this is what happened with Liza. She was on top of the World in 2015 but then the seasons following were shaky. She was in no way close to making the Olympic team in 2018 and looked to be done following nationals that season. But she fought back. She used the time she would have spent preparing for the Olympics and Worlds that season to regroup and improve her technical arsenal with a consistent 3A, then was right back in it last season when skaters that had been successful in her absence were experiencing issues (Zhenya, Radionova, Pogorilaya, Tsurskaya, Sotskova). In my opinion if not for the pneumonia she may very well have been Russian National Champion, certainly European Champion, and at least World Silver Medalist if not winning the title. That illness was one of the greatest travesties last season - sometimes I wonder if others realize how much was lost. It could have been a completely different narrative going into this season.

I could see this in Zhenya’s future. Maybe no World team this year but instead she can use that time to improve what she needs to be successful going forward. Focus on going clean, get that 4S, maybe even start backloading 3Lo combos, and come back strong next season. Tie their hands and force them to give her the GOE and PCS with undeniably clean skates full of difficult elements. And by this point other skaters may be injured or going through growth spurts like Zhenya since the Olympics (disclaimer - I am not hoping this happens to anyone, nor making any predictions that it will happen to any skater in particular, but the reality of our sport is that it does happen and not every top junior will make it to Zhenya’s age). I think that at nearly age 20 and still winning medals and pulling the kind of scores she does even with flawed skates Zhenya has shown not only remarkable talent but that she can be in this for the long game. I have faith in her, even though it seems bleak at the moment.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
From Evgenia's interviews we know that she knows what she is up against and she is willing to fight. Zhenya has her goal and is working towards it and we saw in practices that she is working hard on upgrading her technical content. And I mean come on, we are talking about the girl who just yolo'ed a Quad Sal during summer shows and who was famous for doing crazy 3-3-3 combos :). Brian himself said that they are working on peaking at Nationals, so maybe we will see a big surprise like last year with the 3S+3Lo. If she does not make the team this season, so be it, but I won't stop believing in our Zhenya! She is a hard worker and will do anything to achieve her goal!

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
From Evgenia's interviews we know that she knows what she is up against and she is willing to fight. Zhenya has her goal and is working towards it and we saw in practices that she is working hard on upgrading her technical content. And I mean come on, we are talking about the girl who just yolo'ed a Quad Sal during summer shows and who was famous for doing crazy 3-3-3 combos :). Brian himself said that they are working on peaking at Nationals, so maybe we will see a big surprise like last year with the 3S+3Lo. If she does not make the team this season, so be it, but I won't stop believing in our Zhenya! She is a hard worker and will do anything to achieve her goal!
This! [emoji122]

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What Evgenia has going for her is that when she skates her programs, you do not want them to be over. I rewatch all her programs going back to 2014. I never rewatch any other skaters. She knows what she is up against and she's working hard to add more technical elements. We just need to believe in her. I do. :)

bubblecherry

Final Flight
A bit off topic, but a bit ago we were all discussing dresses and someone linked a few dresses from a site of a brand/designer/whatever that had a lot of really beautiful dresses. Does anyone remember what the brand/designer/website was?

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
I love Evgenia, but looking at this weekend she really needs that 4S stat. Compared to Alina who is receiving high PCS and looks to have improved a lot this year and is also cleaner, Alena was the only other non-3A/quad girl until this weekend. Not to bring this up again, but Russia really has an issue with the number of girls that could challenge for world gold and they only have 3 spots for 6 girls. I wish Evgenia had thought about switching to Canada if it was logistically ok, because she’s going to get left behind this year at her current level of skating not to mention the Olympics where Kamila will be senior.

I don't think that switching to Canada would be a good idea. I don't even think that that is possible for Evgenia. Switching to Canada would bring so much hate from her "fans" in Russia. I feel like they would view it as Zhenya betraying her country and that would add so much pressure onto Zhenya's shoulders.

I feel like Zhenya just has to focus on herself at this point. She can't worry about the other russian ladies. Zhenya can only control how she skates. She can't control how others skate or how the judges judge. Zhenya just has to try her hardest at each competition and hope for the best. Zhenya is a very strong girl who knows how to fight for placements. The good thing about figure skating is that it is totally unpredictable. No one knows how this season is going to turn out for Zhenya, we just have to go along for the ride. Her chances might not look so good right now, but that might change by the end of the season.

No matter how this season turns out, Zhenya has improved a lot and no one can take that away from her.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
I don't think that switching to Canada would be a good idea. I don't even think that that is possible for Evgenia. Switching to Canada would bring so much hate from her "fans" in Russia. I feel like they would view it as Zhenya betraying her country and that would add so much pressure onto Zhenya's shoulders.

No matter how this season turns out, Zhenya has improved a lot and no one can take that away from her.

Oh for sure, Evgenia’s fight is very admirable and that competitor’s mindset is unique. But I was saying more of a career-wise choice. She wouldn’t be as time-pressured to improve and add more difficult tech. If she doesn’t make the team this year, what will happen next and Olympic year where she will have even more competition?

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Oh for sure, Evgenia’s fight is very admirable and that competitor’s mindset is unique. But I was saying more of a career-wise choice. She wouldn’t be as time-pressured to improve and add more difficult tech. If she doesn’t make the team this year, what will happen next and Olympic year where she will have even more competition?

Oh ok, sorry I misunderstood.

That is part of the beauty of this sport. We can't predict the future so we don't know how Zhenya will do. Sometimes all it takes is for one thing to click and a skater can get a jump. All we can do is hope for the best and cheer Zhenya on!!

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Oh ok, sorry I misunderstood.

That is part of the beauty of this sport. We can't predict the future so we don't know how Zhenya will do. Sometimes all it takes is for one thing to click and a skater can get a jump. All we can do is hope for the best and cheer Zhenya on!!

Getting worried for her but trying to stay positive, I have a soft spot for the “older” Russian ladies (her, Alina, Liza) who aren’t old by any means but there just aren’t enough spots for everyone this year with no clear solution besides adding 3A/quads :/

Haikush

On the Ice
Getting worried for her but trying to stay positive, I have a soft spot for the “older” Russian ladies (her, Alina, Liza) who aren’t old by any means but there just aren’t enough spots for everyone this year with no clear solution besides adding 3A/quads :/

It's doom and gloom out there for her....the sentiment is she is done, can't compete with the rest, blah blah....depressing