Satoko Miyahara | Page 114 | Golden Skate

Satoko Miyahara

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

GGFan

Record Breaker
Tom Dickson's TSL Ladies Recap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guyUpdSKXA

I'm just three minutes in and he's already said that Satoko does not sacrifice one second of choreography for jumps!! :hap93:

Oh and it's awesome to hear his pronunciation of her name (which I'm now assuming is the right one and all Americans have been butchering for years). :slink:

ETA: his favorite program is the Planets! :luv17:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Oh and it's awesome to hear his pronunciation of her name (which I'm now assuming is the right one and all Americans have been butchering for years). :slink:

Yeah that's the correct pronunciation of her name, SAtoko not SaTOko. But when Satoko herself speaks in English she also pronounces her name SaTOko; there's a link on the pronunciation of her name on the first page of the thread.

ioanna

Record Breaker

AnCho

Rinkside
The background of Aranjuez is very sad :(.

Thank you for the information Spinning, and thank you Ioanna and all for the brilliant updates on Satton :thank:

I've been binge watching her Olympic exhibition. Gosh, her flow, her movement, the way she match her movements with the beat of the music, her hand postures, her costume (among the best costumes for me) , the red flowers, all are just perfect. Mesmerized perhaps an understatement :love::clapper:
I think this is my personal favorite among her performance of this program. Big credit to the choreographer :points:

Gotta admit, when I saw the screenshot of Yuzu and Satton holding hand, I was like aaaw. When he holded it, he brings her hand closed to his side (at least from the angle of the screenshot). Okay, i know It is nothing and sorry all, I sound very creepy now :hopelessness: . I tried not to ship real people but sometimes cannot help the fangirl side to appear. :eek::

Wishing all the best for the Worlds. I don't know if she will be too tired but hope she can have a great time in Milan too :agree:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
A transcript of what Tom had to say about Satoko for those who don't have time to listen to the entire 55 minutes.
http://tinyqueensatoko.tumblr.com/post/171312379913/tom-dickson-interview-with-tsl-satoko-miyahara

Something I only noticed now: "She does a reverse walley into her triple salchow so easily that people don’t even think it’s unusual." So the walley is clockwise and the salchow is counter-clockwise... that's amazing.

there was also the question about using the same choreographer or changing it, and he said as choreographer its better to work with a skater for more than a year to help develop a skater, Satoko uses Tom and Lori for competetive programs but also experiments different choreographers for her EX numbers and that she has a good balance and its how it should be

GGFan

Record Breaker
A transcript of what Tom had to say about Satoko for those who don't have time to listen to the entire 55 minutes.
http://tinyqueensatoko.tumblr.com/post/171312379913/tom-dickson-interview-with-tsl-satoko-miyahara

Something I only noticed now: "She does a reverse walley into her triple salchow so easily that people don’t even think it’s unusual." So the walley is clockwise and the salchow is counter-clockwise... that's amazing.

This is one of my favorite of her transitions. I hate that walley, ballet and other jumps have been relegated to the side. I think Satoko suffers from the John Curry syndrome wherein she is so committed to making things look easy that she gets very little credit for them.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice

Maybe that's because Satton is naturally left-handed.

Spinning

On the Ice
Satoko dominated Jackie Wong's twitter regarding the fav programmes that didn't win a medal. I'm touched by how many people connected with her performances.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Satoko dominated Jackie Wong's twitter regarding the fav programmes that didn't win a medal. I'm touched by how many people connected with her performances.

I think it is a testament of her representing so much more than obvious things we are taught/directed to pay attention to in figure skating. Her strength to come back to competitive skating, winning Nationals and qualifying to Olympic team, how successfully she was able to represent herself, her own brand (yes, for me she already has a signature and brand created for her skating's aesthetic, style, which is another achievement and reason people are seeing her and appreciating in their own way) got embodied by all her Olympic performances.

She creates a dialogue with music, movement, audience, atmosphere - it is not just hitting stuff from schedule one-sidedly, making it as loud and obvious as possible. She follows more intricate route, more silent and less flashy to gain audience and keep them (which is far more important in my book than just make herself a centre of attention for a moment) - she operates just more sublime tools/methods to make her performances stand out and memorable: by subtle gestures, organic, sensitive musicality, natural flow of movement, splendid (and consequently underrated) interpretational skills, maturity and elegance, thoughtfulness oozing from her every move and every little step while performing. It is more about nurturing a champion's spirit and class/polish on a long distance than focusing on titles and instant successes; what always amazes me is how Satoko and her team are serious about feedback she receives from judges, how she performs in competitions - it is never an inappropriate expression of grimace or other thing, but a look of anticipation to work harder, to improve, shape things better.

At Olympics, she showed how skating could be delicate and powerful at the same time, how effortlessly relatable it can become when we give it a chance to penetrate deeper behind only jumps and opinions. I think she represents a consummate performer and FS lover in terms of integrating various elements into one and making it personalized, individual, special gift to hand to people. I cannot wait to see her in Milan, if she'll come.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Since Evgenia has wd from worlds, we will finally see Satton on the podium?

I am not sure, but - what I wish to see is a great, valuable experience for Satoko by participating and two great, strongly engaging performances produced. She sources powerfulness and being impactful from non-obvious things and it's always quite difficult to tell how she will be scored, in presentation area especially since it's a bit too much of 'hot&cold' mentality expressed by judges towards Satoko. Saying that, I am extremely grateful for her giving us this wonderful season to cherish, two amazingly emotional programs, showing perseverance and strength to continue competition journey, qualification for Olympics which gathered a lot more of people admiring her skill and way of projection through movement. I am aware that for most she will forever be measured by size of her jumps, but for me there's so much more in her to use as point of reference - and example for other skaters, too. I anticipate with great excitement seeing her SP live in Milan next week:)

I am not sure, but - what I wish to see is a great, valuable experience for Satoko by participating and two great, strongly engaging performances produced. She sources powerfulness and being impactful from non-obvious things and it's always quite difficult to tell how she will be scored, in presentation area especially since it's a bit too much of 'hot&cold' mentality expressed by judges towards Satoko. Saying that, I am extremely grateful for her giving us this wonderful season to cherish, two amazingly emotional programs, showing perseverance and strength to continue competition journey, qualification for Olympics which gathered a lot more of people admiring her skill and way of projection through movement. I am aware that for most she will forever be measured by size of her jumps, but for me there's so much more in her to use as point of reference - and example for other skaters, too. I anticipate with great excitement seeing her SP live in Milan next week:)

OH man you're so lucky you get to see her live. She's been such a blessing to figure skating artistically and I will always remember the joy I feel watching her. After coming back from injury and delivering us 2 wonderful programs, I just wish she can close the season with a podium finish (I think 4cc bronze came as a shock to her).

Sadly I don't think the judges will place her over Kaetlyn now, so her biggest threats are Kostner (who has the home advantage) followed by Maria and Wakaba.