Cappellini and Lanotte set sights on world podium | Golden Skate

Cappellini and Lanotte set sights on world podium

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2015 ISU European Figure Skating Championships were one of the most important competitions in the ice dance career of World Champions Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte. They took second, but will they defend their world title next month? How do you think they will fare against Weaver/Poje, Papadakis/Cizeron and Chock/Bates?

Article

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Well, that definitely is the question. It is going to be very important for C&L to improve their SD. Third at Euros is a bit :eek: They could easily be sixth, coming into the FD, behind Shibs, C&B and W&P. The other question is how tough the World's tech panel will be.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Another terrific article. Lanotte's descriptions of other teams are priceless. Well, at least they seem realistic that Worlds is not going to be a cakewalk.

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
I loved this couple at the Olympics and was proud of them at Worlds last year. I hope they show well, but they have struggled this season and W/P and C/B will be in the mix at worlds (even though I am not a C/B fan they are scoring well this year.) I am hoping for the best but preparing for them to fall to the pack a bit this year.

QuadThrow

Medalist
it will become very hard for C/L.

To me W/P and P/C are their own class. I love these two pairs.

But C/B have got really high marks this season (i am not sure i agree with that, sorry), and it will be almost impossible to beat them

Weathergal

Medalist
it will become very hard for C/L.

To me W/P and P/C are their own class. I love these two pairs.

But C/B have got really high marks this season (i am not sure i agree with that, sorry), and it will be almost impossible to beat them

Completely agree with you that it will be difficult for Cappellini/Lanotte to make the podium.

I also really love Weaver/Poje and Papadakis/Cizeron. I didn't enjoy W/P's Vivaldi program this year initially as much as some of their others, but it has grown on me tremendously. And, more importantly, I think their performance of it has grown tremendously throughout the season. I know several people on here have said they're not too keen on it, and I can understand it doesn't have the same pull as last season's program. But I still love this couple and believe they've been a bit underrated/underestimated over the past few seasons. P/C's program is absolutely mesmerizing. Again, I know not everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy it and appreciate it more every time I watch it.

I respect Chock/Bates, but they don't really grab me for some reason. I know they're quite talented, but I don't think they're at the level of W/P and P/C.

The dance team I find most maddening lately is the Shibutanis. I really love the Shib sibs, but their programs always feel like "almosts" to me. I don't know if the answer is leaving Zoueva, as many have suggested, but I just don't think their programs showcase their strengths or allow them to express themselves fully. They seem a bit "contained" to me. Their exhibition program this year, however, is amazing! I so want them to channel that into a competition program somehow. I'm curious who choreographed it for them. The first time I watched it all I could think is THIS is what they need!

beabstress

On the Ice
I do not like their programs this season, but boy, I really like THEM (and I always have)! A great attitude and a realistic outlook: it's hard not to root for them to do well. I do hope that C/L make it to the podium, but I also hope that the gold medal fight comes down to W/P and P/C, with the team that skates better emerging the winner.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the battle is between Weaver and Poje and P/C as well as Chock and Bates. IMHO C and L do not really deserve to be two time world champions - equivalent to D and w or V and M. They were very lucky last year and easily could have been off the podium and certainly second. They seem to be "lucky" that right now the Russians are rebuilding or injured or they could have been off the podium at Euros. The judges have been very kind to them this year so far. But I do think the gold should be P/C or W andP . Chock and Bates for some reason are adored so they will also probably podium. My dream would be W and P; I and Z, P and C followed by the Shibs but that is a pipe dream.

beabstress

On the Ice
I think the battle is between Weaver and Poje and P/C as well as Chock and Bates. IMHO C and L do not really deserve to be two time world champions - equivalent to D and w or V and M. They were very lucky last year and easily could have been off the podium and certainly second. They seem to be "lucky" that right now the Russians are rebuilding or injured or they could have been off the podium at Euros. The judges have been very kind to them this year so far. But I do think the gold should be P/C or W andP . Chock and Bates for some reason are adored so they will also probably podium. My dream would be W and P; I and Z, P and C followed by the Shibs but that is a pipe dream.

I like your dream, Skater Boy. :) The Shibs aren't really a favorite for me, to be honest--but I prefer them to Chock/Bates about a million times over.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Current momentum is with W/P, they look unstoppable. P/C are looking very good to challenge. C/B were 2nd to W/P all season long and ahead of P/C at GPF but methinks if all go spotless that the French beat the Americans. The Italians would be hard-pressed to fit in there, but they're not out of contention just yet. Their FD looked greatly improved and if C/B make a mistake, they will cash in on that bronze. Hard to see them placing higher than 3rd, and I don't like saying that because I'm a fan of Anna and Luca.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
this is actually very interesting issue to discuss I think. Without Tessa and Scott and Meryl and Charlie there's more room of opportunity to step up for medals for various duos. However, the season so far gives us a hint that the ultimate battle for gold will be between Kaitlyn and Andrew and Gabriella and Guillaume.

For Anna and Luca I think that it will be nearly impossible to defend that gold - at least not with this kind of programs and very unstable technique. To be honest I thought that if they could pull out very successfully and authentically Carmen on 2012/13 season, they'll be easy-breezy in that paso doble SD - they have looks, attitude and character to do this brilliantly. It turned out that this is the SD that is their weakness - Marina instead of hiding some posture issues (for Anna) and choosing more "wise" approach (maybe more traditional music, more "clean" choreography, less posig and hunching forward) served them a disaster. They lost their sharpness and confidence somewhere and in my opinion - to make things worse for them - Marina stubbornly try to channel in them Tessa and Scott style whether they're all everything but them. See their FD - costuming, vibe, some parts of choreography make a strong resemblance to Virtue and Moir style. I like them very much, but there's no point of doing this - they'll never be like Tessa and Scott, completely another level of every aspect in ice dancing. I very much enjoy them in Carmen, Barber of Sevilla and jazzy themed SD last season, they should stick to that and expand it somehow.

Being realistic - they have a shot for bronze. BUT - like @dorispulaski said earlier - there's also a question how tough will be tech panel in Shanghai. Another thing is how French duo will manage pressure. I'm quite calm about Weaver/Poje - at this point they are like a regular, well-functioning machine with both of their programs, they won so far everything and polished their dances with every outing. I was not very crazy about their music choices and choreos in the beginning, but somehow they convinced me more and more - also, I can say that they really improved their tech skills. When Tessa and Scott were competing I didn't pay much attention separately for technique - I just enjoyed the whole package, now I see that huge difference between them and the rest and the fact that they are trully gifted.

Anyway, we'll see how it will be, but I want to say there that I want so badly Shibutanis to succeed. They are very talented people with lots of unused potential. They just need to be pushed to the other trained/choreographer who will unleash their artistic ability - the sample of that they're capable of great things in good hands is their ex program this season to Coldplay.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
P/C will be the team to beat from this time forward. The judges might not give them the title this year but i don't see W/P holding them off much longer because nothing about W/P stands out and after D/W and V/M people want to see another great team come along.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Like that Saturday Night Live sketch in the 90s where Mike Myers always said Barbra Streisand was "like butter!!"

:biggrin:

this is actually very interesting issue to discuss I think. Without Tessa and Scott and Meryl and Charlie there's more room of opportunity to step up for medals for various duos. However, the season so far gives us a hint that the ultimate battle for gold will be between Kaitlyn and Andrew and Gabriella and Guillaume.

For Anna and Luca I think that it will be nearly impossible to defend that gold - at least not with this kind of programs and very unstable technique.

Being realistic - they have a shot for bronze.

I'm quite calm about Weaver/Poje - at this point they are like a regular, well-functioning machine with both of their programs, they won so far everything and polished their dances with every outing. I was not very crazy about their music choices and choreos in the beginning, but somehow they convinced me more and more - also, I can say that they really improved their tech skills.

Anyway, we'll see how it will be, but I want to say there that I want so badly Shibutanis to succeed. They are very talented people with lots of unused potential. They just need to be pushed to the other trained/choreographer who will unleash their artistic ability - the sample of that they're capable of great things in good hands is their ex program this season to Coldplay.

Agreed!

anyanka

Record Breaker
P/C will be the team to beat from this time forward. The judges might not give them the title this year but i don't see W/P holding them off much longer because nothing about W/P stands out and after D/W and V/M people want to see another great team come along.

Agreed. W/P have a great pair of programs this year but I am absolutely bonkers for P/C's FD. It was one of those works of art that start out quiet but just cast a spell and quietly made its case for greatness. C/L can get on the podium, but one of the top 3 has to make a mistake. At this point that may be C/B ... maybe.

Plisskin

Medalist
What with the C/B hate? Lol. Is it their programs this year? Skating skills? I'm not a fan of them but I'm just curious.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ 'hate' is fast becoming my most eyerollworthy word on the internet. I see no 'hate' for Chock/Bates in this thread, lol. I only see folks they have yet to make an impression on, and I freely admit I'm one of those folks. I don't find anything about Chock/Bates remarkable, which isn't saying it will always be that way. If <i>that</i> makes me a hater... heh. I'm sure the English language has more appropriate words for these kinds of feelings, especially nowadays that we hear of crimes in the news every day that are committed out of <i>real</i> hate. Sorry about the rant, but the 'hate' hyperbole thrown around every time a number of folks simply say they are not fans of someone or something, is a pet peeve of mine.

Marina stubbornly try to channel in them Tessa and Scott style whether they're all everything but them. See their FD - costuming, vibe, some parts of choreography make a strong resemblance to Virtue and Moir style. I like them very much, but there's no point of doing this - they'll never be like Tessa and Scott, completely another level of every aspect in ice dancing. I very much enjoy them in Carmen, Barber of Sevilla and jazzy themed SD last season, they should stick to that and expand it somehow.

I feel exactly the same! I was a fan of their programs last year and the year prior, but now I just don't recognize them. The emotions they try to convey in both the FD and SD strike me as phony, and I have a feeling both programs would better suit Virtue and Moir than this couple. The EC gala program especially was eerily reminiscent of V/M, down to the costumes, hair styles... and compared to their funny drinking and Hawaiian galas, this felt boring and unimaginative. I want the old Anna and Luca to come back, *they* were unique. :cry:

Unless one of the C/B, W/P and P/C trio falters in a major way, C/L won't make it to the worlds podium this year, and will instead be challenging S/S and G/P for pewter (where IMO they stand a fair chance).

bramweld

Record Breaker
C/B may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they have two very interesting programs. Barring major mistakes from them, P/C or W/P the podium is locked for these three. C/L's programs are not particularly interesting this year, albeit they are good competitors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What with the C/B hate? Lol. Is it their programs this year? Skating skills? I'm not a fan of them but I'm just curious.

I don't think it is that people hate C and B unlike say Chan haters or haters of Mao. THey are a very attractive team but they do not have the natural glide and polish of some teams. Their skating is a bit contrived at times and a little messy. Edges aren't as controlled or as deep as some of the other teams. And sometimes diva Madison seems to be their main selling point rather than the content.