2015-2016 Grand Prix Predictions Game: THE RULES! | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Grand Prix Predictions Game: THE RULES!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, yes, yes!

It's time for another season of the Grand Prix Predictions Game!. This is our fourth year - where does the time go? I, Mrs. P, am going to be your coordinator for the second year. Helping me coordinate is the lovely Layback11.

This game would not be possible without the generosity of our judges! In the ladies we have [email protected], who has come up with some awesome Excel formula to make this scoring smooth and speedy, and satine94 who is an old hat at scoring, having helped out with the the ISU Championships/Nationals Predictions game with CaroLiza_fan! Scoring the ever unpredictable men is invisiblespiral, who always manages to juggle school and skating fandom quite nicely and matmuh who is cheering loudly from Turkey! And for dance we have our favorite engineer and Team Beaver (aka Bobrova/Soloviev) president from Russia, Snow63. and our Ice Dance crazed fan from NYC, WeakAnkles. And finally for pairs, we have our veteran scorer (and former coordinator of this very game), tulosai!

And now, the rules!!

1.) This game has 7 rounds. Each event will have a thread where you will make your predictions (when the round is open it will be linked and marked OPEN):
Round 1: Skate America (CLOSED)
Round 2: Skate Canada (CLOSED)
Round 3: Cup of China (OPEN FOR 1.25 hours)
Round 4: Trophee Bompard
Round 5: Rostelecom Cup
Round 6: NHK Trophy
Round 7: Grand Prix Final

2.) SUBMITTING ENTRIES: Please provide predictions for the top 6 in each discipline. Scoring will be done for the top 5, with the 6th place pick to be an alternate if someone in your top 5 cannot compete or withdraws. You're welcome to add other predictions for places below 6th for further backup. New this year: For your prediction to qualify for scoring, you must provide the full last name(s) in your predictions. The thread of each round will include the entries for each discipline, so all you need to do is copy and paste. Abbreviations, nicknames, first names will not be accepted.

3.) DEADLINES: Entries for each round is due 1 hour before the start of the first segment of the Grand Prix event, local time. The deadline will be listed on top of each thread. We will also provide a 1 hour warning. We will allow partial scoring for any predictions for segments that are submitted more than after the deadline, but more than 1 hour before the start of that segment.

4.) SCORING (for the six GP events): All perfect predictions = 15 points. You predict Mao Asada to be in 1st and she gets 1st.
One place out = 10 points. You predict Mao Asada to be in 1st and she gets 2nd.
Two places out = 5 points . You predict Mao Asada to be in 1st and she gets 3rd.
All predictions that end up being three places out or more will receive zero points.

The maximum perfect score is 75 points per discipline.

There will be a variation in the scoring process for the GPF, stay tuned for details.

5.) RESULTS: Please be patient with the scorers. We are all volunteering our time to do this. Our goal is to have them done within a day or two of the competition, but we all have day jobs. So please be patient! Each of the scorers will post updates after each event.

You can check your scores by clicking on this link: http://bit.ly/gppredictions2015

If you have a question regarding your score, please PM me! (Mrs. P). I will then pass your inquiry to the right scorer. Also feel free to PM me regarding any questions regarding the game!

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
New this year: For your prediction to qualify for scoring, you must provide the full last name(s) in your predictions. The thread of each round will include the entries for each discipline, so all you need to do is copy and paste. Abbreviations, nicknames, first names will not be accepted.
What about mispellings? Or names with multiple "correct" spellings? Do we need to spell exactly as per the OP, in each predictions thread?

If I understand correctly an Excel formula is being used, which relies on detecting last names? I'm guessing it will fail on a mispelling, the same way it will fail if an abbreviation or nickname is used? If so, should there be something in the rules stating this explicitly?

Only, in the SA predictions I already see "Turzynbaeva", whereas the OP says "Tursynbaeva"...

And no doubt we will similarly see "Lipnitskaya", whereas the OP uses the official ISU spelling "Lipnitskaia" instead, and both spellings can be considered "correct", etc etc

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
i will double check with the scorers on spelling variations.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So we will highly encourage people to use the spellings outlined in the ISU entry lists that we will put in each thread and to copy and paste as needed. However, if someone has a typo or (i.e. one letter off) we're not going to hold it against them. The main goal is to keep people from doing abbreviations or nicknames in their predictions.

What about mispellings? Or names with multiple "correct" spellings? Do we need to spell exactly as per the OP, in each predictions thread?

If I understand correctly an Excel formula is being used, which relies on detecting last names? I'm guessing it will fail on a mispelling, the same way it will fail if an abbreviation or nickname is used? If so, should there be something in the rules stating this explicitly?

Only, in the SA predictions I already see "Turzynbaeva", whereas the OP says "Tursynbaeva"...

And no doubt we will similarly see "Lipnitskaya", whereas the OP uses the official ISU spelling "Lipnitskaia" instead, and both spellings can be considered "correct", etc etc

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

The formula to work needs correct first 3 letters as both "Lipnitskaya" and "Lipnitskaia" will be replaced by "Lip" before the counting starts. Hence, your both examples will pass. I will try to accomodate for misprints anyway but if one finds mistakes, please, write me. If I make mistakes I will correct them with apologies.

samm22

On the Ice
For anyone who is interested, The Skating Lesson just created a fantasy skating challenge for the grand prix season. It is run almost exactly the same way as the predictions game is run...there are 6 places per discipline etc. plus a bunch of "extra point" stuff like picking the national team that won the most medals. I just thought it was so similar to what we're doing here that I would mention it.

Link: http://woobox.com/vameiz

EDIT: The unfortunate thing about it is, if you don't have a facebook account, you can't participate in the challenge. :cry:

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
A question:
would you like us to have the full names of the pairs and ice dancers (ie. Wenjing Sui/Cong Han) in our predictions instead of the last names (ie. Sui/Han)?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A question:
would you like us to have the full names of the pairs and ice dancers (ie. Wenjing Sui/Cong Han) in our predictions instead of the last names (ie. Sui/Han)?

Last names only are fine! (Sorry for the late response).

eta

Medalist
Can I participate in, say, Skate Canada, if I missed Skate America predictions?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Something seems to be wrong with my "Score Summary" "SUM of Skate America". Should be 195pts (like in the "Skate America" tab) but is 120pts.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Something seems to be wrong with my "Score Summary" "SUM of Skate America". Should be 195pts (like in the "Skate America" tab) but is 120pts.

It should be fixed now. We've had a lot of shifting of contestants so sometimes the formulas are off (though the numbers are correct). Thanks for pointing it out.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It should be fixed now. We've had a lot of shifting of contestants so sometimes the formulas are off (though the numbers are correct). Thanks for pointing it out.
Thanks for the hard work you put into this, I really enjoy the game. :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

You have my sympathy, Mrs. P. When I was running the Nationals and ISU Games, I found that having to shift players about on the spreadsheet was definitely the most stressful part of being Game organiser.

But, my Games didn't get anywhere near the numbers of players that this year's GP Game is getting. So, I really feel for you.

Here's a hug: :ghug:

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about a wee mistake in the spreadsheet.

I don't know how I managed to spot this (well, I do. It's because they are currently only 5 points behind me!), but there is a spelling mistake amongst the new usernames.

bellflower's new name is MalAssada, not MaolAssada

Oh, and in case anybody reading this thinks this username is merely a (potentially rude) mis-spelling of Mao's name, it is not. It is actually a lot cleverer than that. ;) There is even a discussion in the changing usernames thread about it (starting here).

Thank you for doing such a good job running what is turning into a massive Game

CaroLiza_fan