2016 US Nationals Senior Pairs SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Pairs SP

Vicky458

On the Ice
He asked if they considered their performance a step back. She said 'no' and that basically they learn from each performance and from each mistake so it's always a step forward for them.
Good for Alexa! Phil Hersh always has negative comments.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
well they unsurprisingly sailed into the lead but also left the door wide open for Tarah and Danny. Still 64.12 is a great score and that will be hard to top until the final group.

Only in America would that score so high. A third or fourth tier world level team scoring that high with a double wow1

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really didn't feel the connection between S and K regardless of the fall and I think the finished behind the music. Really disappointed; I would have scored this t least ten points less at the world level.

Art&Sport

Medalist
He asked if they considered their performance a step back. She said 'no' and that basically they learn from each performance and from each mistake so it's always a step forward for them.

Actually it was worse than that because Phil was asking them about the GPF, not Nationals sp. He said something like, "Competing at the GPF was a step forward for U.S. pairs figure skating. Do you think your coming in last was a step backward?" Seriously, Phil!!! :gaah:

Alexa looked at Phil with a deadpan sneer and said, "NO." Quiet, and then the rest of the skaters laugh, while Mervin slaps his hands, as if to say "Told you off, Phil."

She later elaborated on her answer re how everything is a learning experience that can be applied to an athlete's advantage, and nothing is a step backward.

Last edited:

skatemouse

On the Ice
Actually it was worse than that because Phil was asking them about the GPF, not Nationals sp. He said something like, "Competing at the GPF was a step forward for U.S. pairs figure skating. Do you think your coming in last was a step backward?" Seriously, Phil!!! :gaah:

Alexa looked at Phil with a deadpan sneer and said, "NO." Quiet, and then the rest of the skaters laugh, while Mervin slaps his hands, as if to say "Told you off, Phil."

She later elaborated on her answer re how everything is a learning experience that can be applied to an athlete's advantage, and nothing is a step backward.

He is HATEFUL and should never be allowed into any media anything ever again.!!! Good for Alexa for her response if it was me I would have used a baseball bat but they conducted themselves like the Champion athletes they are...amazing and he is from Alexa's home town?? I read his article on twitter and to say he is cruel is a STEPUP. I have never seen in all my years in this sport now 50 years, a person/media take aim at a pair team/skaters in this way personally. It is beyond horrifying. He is NOT media any longer so he should NOT be allowed that privilege especially as a BULLY!

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
haha zomg US delivered the :eeking: factor! Cant wait to see the vids!
like I was 200% sure no one can come close to Scimeca/Knierim

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That's a great answer to a loaded question. What athlete would say "Yes, this is definitely a step backward for us?" What a di*k.

Well there is two ways of looking at it - it is a real question people are thinking - but the so called great answer really is boring and probably staged and taught - actualy I saw most of those interviews from both Can and US nats and really they are taught. Look at this site - do you ever see so and so know they re fighting just to remain on the team, even teams coming back from injury will say it gave them a chance to regroup, find themselves and develop other strengths that they can come to the ice, and when rivalries grow it makes us stronger kk, it motivates us we just need to focus on our own skating which we get joy from and satisfaction we can't worry about the judges. It does sound like poor sportsmanship but it is far more real to see ie (I youtubed some stuff lol) back in the day when I think it was Brasseur and Eisler who couldn't hide their disdain for he temporary rule changes to allow former competitors now "pros" back and changing the face of skating (especially in Russia - that meant two (probably very strong teams) didn't go to worlds I think one of them actually that didn't go to the Oly's were world champions eventually in 1996 perhaps )

Art&Sport

Medalist
Okay, now now, and that's what we've been waiting for too long, Gracie!!! If it took Polina laying down, that's what it took. Remember the feeling Gracie and let this be your breakthrough.

And I think that's why Polina wasn't celebrating. She wasn't underestimating Gracie and her huge talent!