2016 Youth Olympic Games Ladies | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Youth Olympic Games Ladies

gmyers

Record Breaker
Tsurskaya needs to be careful with her jumps. The delayed rotation makes them a lot more succeptible to URs despite the huge height she gets. I remember Kexin Zhang started getting lots of URs before she retired and she jumped the same way.

People often seem surprised when the girls with big jumps get URs, but really, it's quite common, since these big jumpers are usually not as fast to rotate in the air. Karen Chen and Adelina Sotnikova both have huge jumps but also struggle quite a bit with URs, for those two the URs mostly just show up in combination jumps, but still, they almost always show up in their 3-3 attempts.

Polina has so much natural jumping talent that I'm sure she can work on her jump takeoffs. I think if she can just get into the rotating position a little quicker than she will be fine. Right now she really hangs up in the air for a bit before she starts rotating, which is beautiful to look at, but going to make things harder in terms of rotation, especially given how tall she is.

The other thing is, despite her young age, Polina looks physically older than a lot of the other girls. "Puberty monster" so to speak may be affecting her now as opposed to later, given this, she's coping really well. Also, getting these URs now will probably help her address the issues sooner rather than later, which increases her chances of having gotten through the tough transitional times before she moves to seniors.

Not once this season has any of tsurskayas jumps anywhere be called as UR. Usually if you are succeptible to URs there has been a ur. It just doesn't show up in one competiton all of a sudden out of nowhere. There was never a reason to think a tsurskaya jump would be called ur.

Sabine

On the Ice
I have never seen Polina underratating her lutz in combo... Was the call fair?(not seen video yet)

I talked to someone who was next to the ice and she did not see an ur on the lutz of Polina. But the lutz of Anastasia looked ur and her 2a too, but she did not get a call, obviously. It would be nice to have good quality videos, but I guess there is no chance.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Guys, there's plenty of room for the standings to change in the FS. There's only about 5 points separating 1st and 7th! I have no doubt that the top contenders will feel motivated after their performances here and put up a big fight :)
(no need for conspiracy theories here :))

I hope so, Polina's FS is still good enough to beat all of these girls.

At worst, Russian Fed will send a protest file.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I kind of don't understand the rage about Tsurkaya's score, especially without seeing a video good enough to check up what happened with two of her jumping passes. Her PCS was almost able to make up what she lost in the TES, though, and for me it was more than generous, as usual.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I kind of don't understand the rage about Tsurkaya's score, especially without seeing a video good enough to check up what happened with two of her jumping passes. Her PCS was almost able to make up what she lost in the TES, though, and for me it was more than generous, as usual.

I agree, I think better video quality is needed before we all go up and arms with theories about protest files and withdrawls. Like I mentioned already, regardless of the scores, there's lots of opportunities for the rankings to shift around after the FS. It's also worth noting that skaters aren't machines, and mistakes do happen.
It's only the short program.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Not even one jump in an sp or fs got an ur call all season and now half her jumps in an sp are ur! What happened? So she forgot how to jump here and here only?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Very surprised that Yuna S. is at the top of the standings. She's been having an excellent Junior debut season in her own way this year.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Meanwhile, I'm over here hoping somebody out there got high(er-anything would be an improvement)-quality videos so I can actually see what the heck happened here...

Well, at least we'll have a professional stream for the ladies and dance free skates. :yes:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Not even one jump in an sp or fs got an ur call all season and now half her jumps in an sp are ur! What happened? So she forgot how to jump here and here only?

Did even flew over your head the possibility that she could have had a day off? Or maybe she, oh god, actually commited those faults and was called on it? Is that so hard to imagine? I don't think the techical caller would actually put two calls on her jumps just for fun and giggles.

Those videos I watched were pretty horrible, so I can't say if she jumped clean or not, but I can assure you that even through those horrible videos it was obvious she had quite a step out on her flip, but again, it's impossible to see if it was underrotated or not. About the combo, again, impossible to see. Unless someone comes with a better way to analyze it, we'll never know. Just remember that it was the skater that skated the program, not the statistics.

She had a bad day, maybe a bad skate. She'll get over it, and she shouldn't be the only one.

Shayuki

Record Breaker

Her jumps have become worse than what they used to be during GPF for instance. She also has been closer to UR than before so it's not that surprising.

Lovely that people would assume it's unjust judging instead of the skater making mistakes. Tsurskaya hasn't even been competing in juniors for long enough to set a trend in the first place.

Perdita

Final Flight
Woke up, saw the result :shocked::eeking::(

I read somewhere that when Polina started to work on delaying her jumps, she used to get UR calls. Not sure how long ago that was, but after all the delayed jumps are risky and she's taking the risk. Polina and Masha are both very strong in FS so I believe they'll redeem themselves there!

Happy for Yuna and Elizabet! Also Galustyan got only one UR! That's a massive improvement from the Euros :)

NaVi

Medalist
Replying to myself...

Wait until a real video shows up before pre-judging the judging panel...

BTW, I'm also against pre-judging Tsurskaya too... it would be absurd if a better video isn't uploaded somewhere eventually considering they have it in order to do their daily highlights. She has had zero UR calls this year out of 6 competitions and this is an extreme outlier(though not an impossible one... she could have been nervous, clamped up from crowded warmup, growing pains, etc). I just looked at the periscope video again(rather than the youtube caps) and yeah it's blurry but if forced to guess I'd say that neither are UR... the 3F looks overrotated and the 3Lz has nice flow and a good running edge.

I also thought the edge call on Sota was wrong though possibly an honest mistake...

This is my 2nd season in figure skating fandom... and I've been paying hard attention to edges, rotations, and tech panel decisions in general and find it depressing. There's just a lot of honestly uncertain edge cases and because of that there's just a lot of plausible deniability when making calls in any direction even on elements that should be clear. It seems to me that the system can guarantee the right clusters but can break down when it comes to getting the order right within the clusters. And the controversies will come once the potential medalists clusters balloon as we start hitting human limits and the sport grows and globalizes.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, I don't see anything wrong with a very good skater making a couple of mistakes once in a whole season of great performances, the contrary would be rather uncanny!
And, if a Fed (and not exactly a Fed who doesn't know anything about favouring their own skaters) was to protest solely for unjust UR calls, other federations should have already fought World War 3 against judges...

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Finally we have a reliable stream and don't need to watch periscope anymore

NaVi

Medalist
Here's a recap of the Ladies SP... Tsurskaya is the only one out of the top 6 not featured. They skipped 4th place for the men's SP too for some odd reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWFcfB-ofkE

It seems after the 2012 YOG that fan cams were uploaded a few days later... I really hope that happens here too.

Last edited: