Arutyunyan on hopes for 2016-17 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Arutyunyan on hopes for 2016-17

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry, as funny as I think Rafa is, he doesn't have his very own rink?

Cry me a river.

This is capitalism, my man, if you want a rink, raise money to build and sustain a rink. In which hockey players and wealthy family's kids will skate, because that is the only way you will raise money. That's the price you pay for loving LA;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, as funny as I think Rafa is, he doesn't have his very own rink?

Cry me a river.

This is capitalism, my man, if you want a rink, raise money to build and sustain a rink. In which hockey players and wealthy family's kids will skate, because that is the only way you will raise money. That's the price you pay for loving LA;)

There's a blessing and a curse when it comes to being from LA. I don't live there anymore but I went to CSUN and lived and worked in LA for 20 years when I wasn't touring. Which, fortunately, was not very often. Now, as most of you know, Adam and Ashley are extremely popular in LA and I have no doubt that they could receive substantial donations towards the skaters but, getting money for a rink might be more difficult.

We've all seen celebrity endorsed restaurants here in LA and I'm sure they could find a couple if they actually put a team together and made a real effort. Stars love to be around successful people and with Ashley's looks, charisma, and recent success, I have no doubt she could get "Spago" to sponsor a 200.00 a plate dinner in her honor and they'd rack up a substantial amount of money. Certainly enough to get them started and if they're successful, they'll be fine.

They say that everybody loves a winner but, in LA, it's really true. However, once you start losing, the money will dry up as fast as it came in.

Last edited:

badknees

Medalist
Geez, what's so popular about LA? Its expensive, the cost of living is super high. Go find a rink in the midwest or south. Yes you will have to do hockey to support it. How about Texas?

Get out of Colorado Springs and build an Olympic figure skating center in Texas at a nice low altitude. Give it to Raf and Tom Z.

boskil

Match Penalty
So what happened to the capital? :confused2:
You were the greatest figure skating market for decades, making hundreds millions $ of revenue and now your top figure skater, world's vice-champion and her coach have basically no professional environment to train.

mrrice

Record Breaker
LA is a great town for a lot of things. However, sports in not one of them. That's why the Rams, Raiders, and the Clippers basketball team didn't make any money. The Rams and Raiders both left town and the Clippers might as well leave as they haven't been successful with the exception of one or two season and have never made the Final.

noskates

Record Breaker
There's a lot more to owning and managing a rink than creating a place for a coach and elite skaters. My guess is that isn't enough to keep it going. So you have to have it situated where people will use the rink for pleasure skating. So unless there is a "stable" of coaches with a bunch of skaters....it's probably not economically feasible. Didn't Kori Ade have a hard time finding a place for Jason to train as the CS rink didn't want her? (bet they're wishing they hadn't said that now)

mrrice

Record Breaker
He had a rink in Orange County I believe but it went out of business. It was not regulation size, it was smaller.

Here's the thing about Illia's rink. It can be deceiving to start a rink during the winter here in Ca. especially in Orange County where both Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm have Ice Show's. For those who don't know, Knott's is sponsored by Cedar Fair and they have rights to the Peanuts Character's. Knott's does a "Snoopy On Ice" show every year that is quite popular. I'll look for a clip. These shows employ a large number of skaters as each show is double cast if possible.

Snoopy Cast Members talking about their experiences. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGYPEL21R_A

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
There's a lot more to owning and managing a rink than creating a place for a coach and elite skaters. My guess is that isn't enough to keep it going. So you have to have it situated where people will use the rink for pleasure skating. So unless there is a "stable" of coaches with a bunch of skaters....it's probably not economically feasible. Didn't Kori Ade have a hard time finding a place for Jason to train as the CS rink didn't want her? (bet they're wishing they hadn't said that now)

She did struggle. She managed to get the owners of the rink she is at on the phone and they told her they pretty much just turn the lights out and the rink goes unused during part of the day... she got them to give her a chance to build a figure skating program.

When they first started there it was unheated.

here is where it is on google earth (Colorado Sports Center)

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0667138,-104.8634661,545m/data=!3m1!1e3

Total middle of nowhere. Monument, CO has a population of less than 5k and is is less than 5 square miles (12 km2). It is tiny and would feel much more isolated were it not right on the interstate.

But she got to build her own program and build it her own way by going to such a place. Monument, CO is sure as heck not LA.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ahhh, thanks Stitch. I remember the particulars now. This just makes me respect Kori even more for.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For speaking with my rink's manager, I think the maintaining a rink long term is harder than getting the funding to build one.

I bet this is true. The ice surface alone is almost 20,000 square feet, which must be kept at your freezer's temperature.

concorde

Medalist
And where the facility my daughter skates has 2 rinks. Summers here can hit 100 and stay that hot for days on end. And there was a neighboring rink where the roof collasped during a blizzard. All that takes big bucks just to maintain.

mrrice

Record Breaker
And where the facility my daughter skates has 2 rinks. Summers here can hit 100 and stay that hot for days on end. And there was a neighboring rink where the roof collasped during a blizzard. All that takes big bucks just to maintain.

Blizzards and 100 degree weather? Where do you live?? It definitely hits 100 in Ca. but I don't think any big city in Ca. has ever had anything that be considered a blizzard. In fact, I don't think it's ever snowed in LA? At least not in the last 40 years.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Blizzards and 100 degree weather? Where do you live?? It definitely hits 100 in Ca. but I don't think any big city in Ca. has ever had anything that be considered a blizzard. In fact, I don't think it's ever snowed in LA? At least not in the last 40 years.

I don't think it is that strange to have weather like that. Denver and the rest of Colorado gets a few days each year over 100. It would be rare to be 100s for a week straight, but a few days for sure. Last years it was 90+ for most of July and August i recall. And we get our fair share of snow...not as much as some of the northern areas that get that damn wet snow.

I suspect a lot of places in the midwest get 100s and blizzards. Anywhere near the great lakes seems to get a nice mix of too hot weather mixed with massive amounts of snow. I think most places have their share of too hot and too cold actually...

concorde

Medalist

I live in the DC metro area.
I grew up in Alabama and back then, my local rinked closed during the summer due to the expense of maintaining the facility. The city tore down that rink and built a new double one. Talk about a lovely facility!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't think it is that strange to have weather like that. Denver and the rest of Colorado gets a few days each year over 100. It would be rare to be 100s for a week straight, but a few days for sure. Last years it was 90+ for most of July and August i recall. And we get our fair share of snow...not as much as some of the northern areas that get that damn wet snow.

I suspect a lot of places in the midwest get 100s and blizzards. Anywhere near the great lakes seems to get a nice mix of too hot weather mixed with massive amounts of snow. I think most places have their share of too hot and too cold actually...

I think the only place I ever experienced a really rapid weather change was in "Rapid" City, South Dakota. We had actually set up and rehearsed for an outdoor show and I remember seeing sections of our stage literally flying through the air before our show was eventually canceled

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what happened to the capital? :confused2:
You were the greatest figure skating market for decades, making hundreds millions $ of revenue and now your top figure skater, world's vice-champion and her coach have basically no professional environment to train.

Rafa has to raise the capital. And for figure skating??? He is going to have to turn on the charm, "My way or the highway" does not encourage donors to give til it don't hurt no more....

Hey, I like figure skating enough to make a nuisance of myself on internet boards. Most Americans, not so much. Rafa could be coaching the Olympic gold medalist in each and every discipline before Americans start pulling out the checkbooks. Maybe not even then.

Which makes the accomplishments of *all* the American skaters, not just Rafa's, even more impressive.....

boskil

Match Penalty
Rafa has to raise the capital. And for figure skating??? He is going to have to turn on the charm, "My way or the highway" does not encourage donors to give til it don't hurt no more....

Hey, I like figure skating enough to make a nuisance of myself on internet boards. Most Americans, not so much.
They did in the 90s and before - why federation hadn't invested the money in building/supporting proper training base?
You wrote "it's capitalism", so I tell you capitalism is all about proper investment, foreseeing trends, ups and downs, development and assets safety...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On the general subject of Raf:

As of fan of Raf and of Adam's mother, I was happy to see her definitive tweeting today that there is/was no truth to the rumor from Nats of "... Raf allegedly storming out of the K&C because he was upset Adam won ...."

I don't know whether Kelly Rippon had spoken out previously to debunk the rumor, but she did so today -- in the course of swapping friendly tweets about the CBS broadcast of TCC.

... It's 2 stupid 2 believe anyway ...

... He told the people that mattered what he was doing - alas some people were not copied on that memo- #unlucky

... his attention was to secure his skaters on the WT both men. ...

I always had hoped that the rumor was not true, and am pleased that Mrs. Rippon has put it to rest.
And I always thought it was more plausible that Raf left the Kiss and Cry to lobby for Nathan's inclusion on the world team. Glad to read her confirmation today.

Congratulations to Raf, Adam, and Ashley on Team North America's win at TCC :yay:.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Im not sure if I missed it or what, but I thought the first question Ted asked Raf was about Nathan's injury and whether he is back training yet. Did he ever answer that?