2016 JGP Mordovia Ladies SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Mordovia Ladies SP

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I disagree completely with an "easy" part. Yes, Polina was the favourite, but it'd by no means have been walk in the park for her.
We all knew (and know) Marin is not a super consistent type of skater (at least yet), but we have to remember that before the 2016 Worlds Marin participated in 4 international tourneys that year and medalled in all of them: 1 gold, 2 silvers and 1 bronze. You might even observe the "optimistic" pattern: good JGPs, poor JapJunNats, good JGPF, poor JapSenNats,...
Feds are not ignorants, they knew what they were doing sending her to Worlds in spite of her poor domestic outcomes and they were not disappointed - she got her form back and shined brighter than ever setting PBs in both short and free. She was visibly on top of her mental and physical game and delivered two clean, spectacular skates. We don't have the crystal ball just our common sense and claiming it would have been easy win for Polina is a myth, dismissed even by Russian fans in their skating fora. Knowing how patriotic and crazy for their girls they are, I was pleasantly surprised back then, reading how much respect they were giving Marin after that win, often telling ubers to stop speculating, shut up and give props to the new world champion. :thumbsup:

As you've been well aware, Marin is not a consistent skater but Polina had not only huge jumps but also consistency last season. Polina had higher BV and big GOE potentials on her magnificent jumps while Marin had superb SS and gorgeous spins. That doesn't mean that Polina was a merely consistent jumper or Marin had poor jumps, but their notable strengthes were different and Polina's chance to get higher score was greater than inconsistent Marin.

Polina had good momentum after winning everything except her senior result at Nationals. There were expectations that we would see her break 200 for the first time in juniors. On the other hand, Marin was so unpredictable, but we got to know the pattern of Marin's competitive results from the inside and outside of Japan. Except the JW, she didn't make two clean performances in one event. I think she does better when she is out of the heavy favorite position or out of pressure.

None argued about Marin's JW title, and her performances were totally deserved for the title. However her two main competitors were absent from competition, so her chief rivals became Sotskova and Higuchi. Unless she blew off her opportunity, her chance for medalling was big. I think that gave her psychologically a comfort zone. One thing to note however is that Marin was beaten by Polina at JGPF by the margin of almost 20 points. Therefore, your argument that as long as Marin breathing, Polina's chance for this season's dominance is none or it is a myth that Polina could've easily won the title last season doesn't sound very convincing. I just questioned the possibility for that achievement this season because I have no concrete knowledge of her status. Eventually, we're just going to find out though.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
5h16m to be exact. Slay Stasya! :devil:

Are you taking that from the ISU livestream? Because their countdown clock was an hour out yesterday.

I thought the Group 1 Warm-Up started at 09:00 BST / 08:00 GMT (just under 2h 30m from now)

CaroLiza_fan

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Cersei is coming!
I dont take Polya's win for granted
We'll see what form she's in
Hopefully in perfect shape

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
haha no I just want her to be her
as she said in the interview it wont be connected with GoT at all

I already started to think that her main idea will be 'I choose violence' :laugh2: It would be hilarious :)

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I already started to think that her main idea will be 'I choose violence' :laugh2: It would be hilarious :)
she's a prowerful skater imo she should have been Cersei!
actually Ashley in the perfect world should have skated a GoT programm

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Really looking forward to seeing this opening group. Calderone is the only one I've definitely seen before (I think McIsaac was one of the few girls I saw from US Nationals, but I'm not sure)

And I have been impressed with the Turkish skaters that have been coming through the ranks the past couple of seasons. So, I hope the first girl continues that trend.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sugarpova - we just heard your favourite song! :laugh:

And, appropriately enough, the phrase "Je t'aime" sums up what I thought of the routine! :biggrin:

:cheer: WELL DONE ILAYDA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
well done Ilayda!! shame about the mistake but she doesnt stalk her jumps which is good to see! :hap85:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think Chiara's reaction when she finished summed it all not.

Not the best I've ever seen from her.

I've a feeling she may go into 2nd.

EDIT: She didn't. But, she's only 6 points ahead of Ilayda.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now that was something completely new.

Apart from last month's Asian Trophy, Iwamoto has never competed outside of Japan. And she has never done Senior Nationals. So, I've never seen her before.

But, that was impressive.

New leader by a big margin for sure.

:cheer: WELL DONE KOKORO!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yamato!:love::love::dance:

I knew it wouldn't take long for you to point that out! :laugh:

Moving onto Yu-Hsun.

So young. So tiny. And so good!

And so cute when waiting for her results!

I would put her into 2nd, but nearer to Kokoro than Chiara.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: