2016 Cup of China Mens SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Mens SP

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
With a win Yin/Aaron has a chance because at the mo, it seems that 22 p can be enough to bring a male skater to the GPF... Win would get Yin/Aaron to 22 p and tie with Rippon who has two 3rd places + a high total, but the first tie rule states that the higher placement wins, ie the possible win would take Y/A over Rippon. If Voronov or Brezina wins, their total would be 24 p and quite probably qualify for the GPF. A 2nd place would bring them to tie with Rippon and the 2nd place would win over Rippons two third places and maybe qualify for the final. E

Oh yeah, you are quite right! I thought that 22 points might not be enough... I was just thinking of old days with skaters like Kulik, Stojko, Eldredge, Yagudin and Plushenko, when at least 24 points were needed for the GPF (Champion Series Final).

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Just out of curiosity, what PCS would you have given Sergei and Maxim, and why?

I know many people here would score Kovtun's PCS the lowest possible, but i think his programs are much better than the past and he improved a lot this season: I didn't expect higher PCS at skate america anyway, but at least similar to what he got in the past (around 38 for the short and 78-80 points in the long), and let's see what Kovtun received in the second mark in the past:

Skate America
SP: 36.99 (bombed that program)
LP: 75.92

Finlandia Trophy (usually in senior B competitions skaters received lower scores)
SP: 38.59
LP: 76.42

(2015-2016 season)

Worlds
SP: 40.11
LP: 74.86 (bombed that program)

European
SP: 40.21
LP: 81.38

NHK
SP: 40.46
LP: 76.58 (bombed that program)

TEB
SP: 41.18

As you can see at the major competitions (GP, Euro, Worlds) his PCS were always above 40s and even in the LP when he performed well his PCS goes above 80s, while when he bombed the program around 75. At Skate America he received the lowest PCS of the past 2 seasons, even lower than a pre-season event, maybe that's because judges don't consider him as a contender anymore, we shall see it here in China.

While Voronov's PCS are in line to what he received in the past, i don't know what happened with his second 3a in the long program not considered in the 2nd half, and i would have scored his SP a tad higher considering that 85 points for Jason Brown despite a fall and the invalidated camel spin. (is that even possible to score that high with those mistakes and without being a top contender?)

Last edited:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
I hope Han Yan will deliver a good skate. I like him since his SP to Shostakovich.
I hope Maxim Kovtun will have two clean programs, because now he has no pressure (as he has no chances for GPF). So, relax and show your best!
I keep my fingers crossed for Michal Brezina. Hope he won't skate first in his warm-up)
I keep my fingers crossed for Sergei Voronov. Hope he'll show his best and prove one more time that it was to early to write him off.

So many hopes)

Patrick Chan doesn't need my hopes and crossed fingers, the only thing he needs is to keep a cool head and skate as he can.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Good luck Serg, Michal & Boyasha!!:dance:
& Dani better show what he really can!
dont know what to expect from Han now but I still certainly count on his redemption

da96103

Record Breaker
I see that Daisuke has withdrawn. I remembered someone mentioned this last week during Trophee. Are there rules regarding replacements? How come they did not get someone to take his place? Like Reynolds who was bronze medallist at Canada but only has one GP assignment, or whoever that is the highest ranked with no GP assignments.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I see that Daisuke has withdrawn. I remembered someone mentioned this last week during Trophee. Are there rules regarding replacements? How come they did not get someone to take his place? Like Reynolds who was bronze medallist at Canada but only has one GP assignment, or whoever that is the highest ranked with no GP assignments.

There are rules, you can read them on ISU page, it's not that hard to find. If the skater is WD within two weeks the competition start, the Federation has no obligation to replace skater. Also, I think there is no rule that skaters has to agree to be replacement, short notice might be incovinient for some.

da96103

Record Breaker
Just for a strategic reason, I hope Boyang wins the title (sorry Patrick ;) ) and then advance to GPF as Patrick is already secured for his spot to GPF.

I also wish Han is coming back to his old form on the home ice.

Can Boyang qualify for GPF if he wins COC?

Let's see. Boyang would have 1-5 position.
He would not qualify if there are at least two skaters with 2-2 or 2-3. (After Shoma and Javier (confirmed), Chan if he gets 4th or higher and Yuzuru if he gets 3rd or higher)

Looking at the top 3 positions of the past 4 GPs.

SA: Shoma, Jason, Adam, Voronov
SC: Patrick, Yuzuru, Reynolds, Brezina
Rostelecom: Javier, Shoma, Bychenko, Kolyada
Trophee: Javier, Denis, Adam, Nathan Chen

Therefore, only 2 skaters have the opportunity to take the last two places above Boyang: Jason and Bychenko, both at NHK
Note: There are no skaters doing both COC and NHK

If Bychenko wins at least silver and Jason wins at least bronze. Eg NHK: Yuzuru, Bychenko, Jason, then Boyang is out even if he wins COC.
If Yuzuru wins and Jason gets silver, Boyang will be in.

Having said that, in the unlikely event that the winner of NHK is not Yuzuru, Bychenko or Jason and the winner is someone who had 4th place in the earlier GPs, he will be in GPF and Boyang will be out, and there are two skaters who fulfill this criteria: Kolyada and Nathan Chen.
Note: Voronov and Brezina are both in COC, so they can't win if Boyang is assumed to be the winner in this scenario.

Conclusion: Boyang needs Yuzuru and Jason to do well or Yuzuru and Bychenko to do well but not both Bychenko and Jason to do well.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
From Patrick thread:

Yan Han expresses his love for Patrick before the start of Cup of China
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxOC20pUAAAHcZN.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxOC20oUQAAyP_x.jpg (he wrote I love you in Chinese)

Translation of the Weibo post from the Official CoC Weibo:
Some of our country's male figure skaters openly expressed their love for Boss Qun*, adding on, our new figure skating calendar is out, at the competition they will be for sale at the souvenir area
*Patrick's Chinese name

Now I love Han even more. :love:

Go Boss Patrick! Go Hanee!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
he's young... :) he rotates fast... let's see where he can go ;)
He did that too in his FS. He may be disappointed in himself, but a good performer doesn't show such a perplexed face expression immediately. His lacks of international exposure can be attributed to it though. He has nice lines, so I hope he maximizes his strength in front of the home audience.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I really wanted to see He Zhang or Yi Wang as a host pick for the event, but Wang wasn't invited for whatever reason, and Zhang withdrew. Wang was so unfortunate after his only international showing at TEB was crushed due to the Paris terrorist attacks last season. The CSA doesn't send their skaters to B-competitions except occasionally to Asian Trophy in the early of season. :eek:hwell:

According to his ISU bio, Runqi Liu competed in the juniors last season. For those who are not familiar with the skater, I bring in some clips of his past performances. I was bit annoyed that he made a long pause when his planed element didn't go well as if he gives up on his performance. I hope he tries his best as he is previleged to have a big opportunity to compete in the deep field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3eZ0XW6Ls0 SP 2015 JGP Colorado Springs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixqk1pRS734 FS 2015 JGP Colorado Springs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m01ZRlQ9dEA SP 2016 Natiaonls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUvqVH8DXtI FS 2016 Natiaonls

Very interesting skater. He has such a nonchalant way of moving and so unhurried and casual getting into his jumps. Very different and pretty cool. I'll keep an eye on him.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Given that Patrick and Boyang will qualify for GPF, I can relax and enjoy their programmes, especially Patrick skating to Eric Radford's composition.

I'll be shouting like mad for Sergei and Max. :cool14: Hope Sergei ends up on the podium and Max seizes the opportunity to show what he can really do, even if it is too late for GPF. Mick Brezina of course deserves a got finish as well. So, lads, show us what you're made of! :cheer2:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Given that Patrick and Boyang will qualify for GPF, I can relax and enjoy their programmes, especially Patrick skating to Eric Radford's composition.

Boyang needs a win at COC to have a chance, depending on other factors. It's not a given.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick skating first in first group, that's interesting and has never happened before. I hope having him first to set the standard would keep the PCS inflation down.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow... maybe i will stay up and go to bed right after patrick then lol... so late...
Patrick skating first in first group, that's interesting and has never happened before. I hope having him first to set the standard would keep the PCS inflation down.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ooooh, Max goes 2nd last! Go Max! :yay:

karne is pleased that this is at a suitable hour for her but is also sympathetic for those who it is at a bad hour for.

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
Wow! Many of them have potential to medal, no? So tight and unpredictable... So excited! Good luck to all!! :cheer:
Oh? Runqi LIU (CHN) is out? (I don't know him but I thought he was in the entry.)

I really really really hope the ice condition will be better than TDF! :angry2: