2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Question: if Kazakhstan forfeits their second spot because of no eligible skater. Does another spot open at Nebelhorn?

Does Kazakhstan have a second lady? Is there a technical minimum that must be met for the Olympics like worlds has?

Yes, another spot will open up at Nebelhorn (so 7 spots instead of 6).

And yes, there are technical minimums for the Olympics and they're the same as the ones needed for 4CCs and Euros (lower than Worlds). Unlike TES minimums that are good for 2 years to compete at ISU championships though, the minimum score needs to be achieved during the Olympic season.

Not sure if there's another woman from Kazakhstan who can get the TES minimums. There was one that competed at the Asian Games and Junior Worlds I believe.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... And yes, there are technical minimums for the Olympics and they're the same as the ones needed for 4CCs and Euros (lower than Worlds). Unlike TES minimums that are good for 2 years to compete at ISU championships though, the minimum score needs to be achieved during the Olympic season. ...

But ... scores from the preceding season *do* count toward TES minimums for the 2018 Olympics, per the 2018 Olympics qualifications document from the ISU (emphasis added):

... a skater/couple must have reached on or before the final entry deadline 29 January 2018 in an ISU Championships or ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38 paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraph 1 to 9 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season the applicable Minimum Total Elements Score (points) established for the ISU Championships (see ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating/Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3). The applicable Minimum Total Elements Scores shall be decided by the ISU Council and shall be published in an ISU Communication at the beginning of the Olympic season 2017/18. ...

http://static.isu.org/media/309682/isu-figure-skating-en.pdf (page 2)​

(I do not remember whether the 2014 rule -- meaning the part about when TES minimums must be earned -- was different from the 2018 rule.)

Last edited:

Nirti

Medalist
Question: if Kazakhstan forfeits their second spot because of no eligible skater. Does another spot open at Nebelhorn?

Does Kazakhstan have a second lady? Is there a technical minimum that must be met for the Olympics like worlds has?

Aiza Mambekova reached TES for 4CCs recently. So maybe she can do it again next season, but if she takes part to OG, she would have no chance to qualify for the FP.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
But ... scores from the preceding season *do* count toward TES minimums for the 2018 Olympics, per the 2018 Olympics qualifications document from the ISU (emphasis added):

... a skater/couple must have reached on or before the final entry deadline 29 January 2018 in an ISU Championships or ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38 paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraph 1 to 9 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season the applicable Minimum Total Elements Score (points) established for the ISU Championships (see ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating/Ice Dance, Rule 378, paragraph 3). The applicable Minimum Total Elements Scores shall be decided by the ISU Council and shall be published in an ISU Communication at the beginning of the Olympic season 2017/18. ...

http://static.isu.org/media/309682/isu-figure-skating-en.pdf (page 2)​

(I do not remember whether the 2014 rule -- meaning the part about when TES minimums must be earned -- was different from the 2018 rule.)

You're right! My bad. :eek::

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Men's details should be up to date. Congrats to the US Men for doing the thing and getting 3 spots back! Sad for the Canadian men for missing out by 1 placement/as low as 3.63 points (difference between Reynolds and Kolyada ahead of him)

Aiza Mambekova reached TES for 4CCs recently. So maybe she can do it again next season, but if she takes part to OG, she would have no chance to qualify for the FP.

Aiza Mambekova's 4CC minimums from this season (highest TES were SP 26.95 at Asian Winter games [just short of Worlds TES of 27.00] and FS 42.89 at Universiade [4.11 short of the Worlds minimum of 47.00])

Assuming the Olympics minimums are going to be the same as the 4CCs/Euros minimums again, and that those minimums don't shift much for Ladies next year, she may even be already qualified scorewise.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Olympics and Worlds Qualification Table

DisciplineLadies
3 SpotsRussia
Canada
USA
2 SpotsJapan
Italy
Kazakhstan
South Korea

:cheer: WELL DONE ELIZABET!!!! :cheer:

You have done what I wanted, and got Aiza Mambekova a ticket to the Olympics!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Absolutely delighted!!! I just love Aiza!!!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Ice Dance spots via Worlds are now set!

Next stop, Nebelhorn for the remaining spots!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
How will the rest of the spots in Nebelhorn Trophy delivered? Is it just if you are in top4, 5, or 6, depending of the discpline, of the skaters from the countries which does not have a spot yet, will the get the spot? For example, if a skater hunting an olympic spot ends up 10th place, she will earn the spot to her countri, if there were 4 skaters on top10 from countries which have a spot already? So, this a question. Oh, how messy I can be. Did somebody understand what I am trying to ask?

Example (an optimistic one:laugh:)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
How will the rest of the spots in Nebelhorn Trophy delivered? Is it just if you are in top4, 5, or 6, depending of the discpline, of the skaters from the countries which does not have a spot yet, will the get the spot? For example, if a skater hunting an olympic spot ends up 10th place, she will earn the spot to her countri, if there were 4 skaters on top10 from countries which have a spot already? So, this a question. Oh, how messy I can be. Did somebody understand what I am trying to ask?

Example (an optimistic one:laugh:)

Yes, spots in any one discipline are awarded to those countries competing at Nebelhorn who have not yet obtained spots in that discipline regardless of how many skaters/teams place above them whose countries HAVE obtains spots in that discipline.

Just for example, consider Armenia/Anastasia Galustyan. Armenia was the first country to miss out on a spot via Helsinki. 14 other countries beat Armenia in Helsinki. Even if all those countries (and only those 14 countries) beat Armenia again at Nebelhorn, Armenia would still get a spot in Pyeongchang as the highest ranked country not to already have a spot.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
How many skaters from a country do they allow in Nebelhorn? 3?

Sackie

Medalist
'**As per Rule 400.A.3 (linked further down in this post), the total number of spots allocated to countries earning multiple spots is 17, which exceeds the allotted 16 Quota Spots. Thus, as the USA is the lowest placing country to earn 2 spots, they are not permitted to enter a second pair at the Olympics.'

Are we sure this is a done deal or will the USA find away to fight this! :)

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
'**As per Rule 400.A.3 (linked further down in this post), the total number of spots allocated to countries earning multiple spots is 17, which exceeds the allotted 16 Quota Spots. Thus, as the USA is the lowest placing country to earn 2 spots, they are not permitted to enter a second pair at the Olympics.'

Someone in Alexa's and Chriss fan thread posted that USA would appeal that :noshake:

chameleon

On the Ice
Does Korea get a host spot? Irrelevant for ladies as Choi already secured two with a top ten finish, but will the other disciplines have to battle it out at Nebelhorn or is that secured already? And if they have a host spot, how does that effect the spots available at Nebelhorn?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Does Korea get a host spot? Irrelevant for ladies as Choi already secured two with a top ten finish, but will the other disciplines have to battle it out at Nebelhorn or is that secured already? And if they have a host spot, how does that effect the spots available at Nebelhorn?

The OP answers this question (in summary). Also, if you want more detail, the Olympic Qualification Procedure document is linked too!

sarama

Medalist

It would be outrageous if the US manage to find a way around this: the rule is stupid, but it is what it is. Maybe it can be changed for 2022, but not for 2018. I'm sure if this was the case for any other country there would be no rule change. I can't see why the US need an exception (and I say this as a major Haven and Brandon fan). We knew somebody was likely going to be left out because of this rule. (I mean 3 spots for Russia, China, Canada and 2 for Germany were expected and France, Italy and US were likely going to battle for the rest, hoping "outsiders" like Duskova and Bidar didn't further spoil their hopes

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Is it possible that France won't have a second pair to send to the Olympics? I am not that familiar with the depth of French pairs, but there are only three pairs on the Seasons Best list apart from James/Cipres, and all three have men born in either Russia or Ukraine. Do any of these have (or are likely to get) French citizenship in time for the Olympics?

If France has to or chooses to give back their second pair spot, does the USA get that spot, or does it go to the fifth country that qualifies at Nebelhorn?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
It would be outrageous if the US manage to find a way around this: the rule is stupid, but it is what it is. Maybe it can be changed for 2022, but not for 2018. I'm sure if this was the case for any other country there would be no rule change. I can't see why the US need an exception (and I say this as a major Haven and Brandon fan). We knew somebody was likely going to be left out because of this rule. (I mean 3 spots for Russia, China, Canada and 2 for Germany were expected and France, Italy and US were likely going to battle for the rest, hoping "outsiders" like Duskova and Bidar didn't further spoil their hopes

It's especially dumb because it was pretty much only likely to happen in Pairs given the lower total number of spots (due to Warmup Group limitations) but I agree - changing it now is not going to happen and is not worth trouble. Fix it for 2022 like gymnastics did for 2020 with adding a rule that AA medalists (and not just event medalists) are guaranteed an Olympic spot.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Is it possible that France won't have a second pair to send to the Olympics? I am not that familiar with the depth of French pairs, but there are only three pairs on the Seasons Best list apart from James/Cipres, and all three have men born in either Russia or Ukraine. Do any of these have (or are likely to get) French citizenship in time for the Olympics?

If France has to or chooses to give back their second pair spot, does the USA get that spot, or does it go to the fifth country that qualifies at Nebelhorn?

Based on how I am (and everyone else is) interpretting the rest of the parts of Rule 400.A, unused spots are reallocated at Nebelhorn. There is unfortunately nothing in the document that states a team who loses a spot based on 400.A.3 can gain an unused spot.