2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 408 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Tbh, if we were to blame anyone for almost losing the 3 spots, then it should be the Russian Fed, not the skaters. Konstantinova was 20th in the free! 20th! And how many of us here were surprised? Right. We all knew the choice was dodgy from the start but the Fed didn't care as they thought they had it in the bag with Alina finishing first.

As I said though, I doubt they'll learn from it.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
What are GP matchups going to be like? Is Sotskova seeded or just Alina? Some fields are going to be really, really stacked.

leilaraj

On the Ice
TAT is such a nasty woman, I can´t with her.. she basically praised Zhenya the whole time Alina was crying in K&C, I mean what does it have to do with Alina in the first place? She was like: Now you guys can see why we love Zhenya, she was reigning the last two years, please get healthy, we need you.
Like, we all want her to get fit but can she shut up with her favoritism.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Current Russian Senior Grand Prix guarantees:

Alina Zagitova: 2 spots
Evgenia Medvedeva: 2 spots
Maria Sotskova: 2 spots
Stanislava Konstantinova: 2 spots
Elena Radionova: 2 spots
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: 2 spots
Polina Tsurskaya: 1 spot
Daria Panenkova: 1 spot
Anna Pogorilaya: 1 spot

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

That Polina gets one and Konstantinova gets 2 .... sigh.

Manitou

Medalist
A true roller coaster. I wouldn't read too much from this post-Olympic WC chaos.
Russia has incredible talent, but I hope they will put more focus on stability and continuity rather than constantly relying on new kids one after another. In this sense I am wondering if Eteri is not bringing some damage to the Russian system by destabilizing it with this swarm of 13 year old one-season wonder kids with quads. I start missing Leonova.

moriel

Record Breaker
And this is why you should never, ever send people like Konstantinova based on internal faves and internal politics instead of actual skating because you never know when something will go wrong.

Russia is lucky they kept the 3 spots, very lucky. And I wish I could say hopefully the Fed has learned but nah.

And the worse is, chances are things went wrong also because of Konstantinova bombing.
Pretty sure the other 2 girls knew the 3 spots depended solely on their performance, which added pressure on them to perform well.

As for TAT, she is one nasty person, specially considering she was one of the people who put Konstantinova there, and then being nasty like that with Alina, who did MUCH better than TAT's protegee

atsumiri

Record Breaker

but Polina has better SB :scratch2:
11 210.19 Polina TSURSKAYA RUS ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017 12.11.2017
16 199.68 Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA RUS ISU CS Golden Spin of Zagreb 2017 08.12.2017

Shayuki

Record Breaker
but Polina has better SB :scratch2:
11 210.19 Polina TSURSKAYA RUS ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017 12.11.2017
16 199.68 Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA RUS ISU CS Golden Spin of Zagreb 2017 08.12.2017
How good it is doesn't matter, 1 spot per top 24 SB, 1 spot per top 24 world standings.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
baby Sasha won senior WC2018

225.52 Alexandra TRUSOVA RUS ISU World Junior Championships 2018

Shayuki

Record Breaker
as i remember top 24 SB and top 24 are getting 2 spots anyway. most of the times... :scratch2:

Those are just guarantees, the ones without 2 guaranteed spots can of course get more spots. And they could always get the Russian host pick etc.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

How was this determined? Why does Tsurskaya get one when she's way above Tuktamysheva?

Seruleane

Final Flight
If there is one silver lining to all this, I hope Radionova, Pogorilaya, Tuktamysheva, et al will see that Eteri's girls are not 100% invincible, and be motivated to return strong for next season. I would love to see them bring their A-game.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
How was this determined? Why does Tsurskaya get one when she's way above Tuktamysheva?

This is the guaranteed spots based on whether skaters are in top 24 SB and top 24 WS. Tsurskaya is in the top 24 SB but not the top 24 WS. Tukt is 21st on SB list and 24th on WS so she'll get 2. But Polina should still get 2 spots, they can give her Rostelecom host spot if she doesn't get a second invite.

I'm worried that without the seeding keeping the Russian ladies apart the GP fields will result in a bloodbath for GPF qualification. Alina, Evgenia and Polina could all end up in the same field and block each other's paths to the final :hopelessness:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Alina may have just lost her easiest chance of winning a world title. When the officials meet there is no doubt they will make new rules concerning the back loading of jumps and tanos. Her advantage will be wiped away completely. It will be advantage Med. (if she can fully conquer her injury which will certainly be a challenge) who will have the PCS advantage. Plus all the newly arriving multi talented countrywomen who will be breathing down her back as well. She's lucky this was the Olympic season and not the season or two before.

I do feel really sorry for her though. She wasn't ready for worlds because of all the post Olympic activities she had to take part in and couldn't train properly. None of it was her fault and perhaps she should not have been there although I do give her all credit for trying when many these days wouldn't. She's a real fighter though so I expect this experience will only make her more determined to continue. Now she has a more definite goal for the future (if she had won here she would have all the titles and as many asked before, "what's left for her to achieve?").

Scott512

Record Breaker
And this is why you should never, ever send people like Konstantinova based on internal faves and internal politics instead of actual skating because you never know when something will go wrong.

Russia is lucky they kept the 3 spots, very lucky. And I wish I could say hopefully the Fed has learned but nah.

Nah is right. And after becoming Olympic champion Alina zagitova's parents should have been protective like an Akita dog in saying nyet to their daughter going to the World Championships after just winning an epic Olympic battle with her rival friend and teammate Zhenya. Alina should have been shut down with an undefeated debut season even if it meant Russia would lose one of their three spots for next year. But no now Zagitova's confidence is damaged she will recover and she had the best debut season I can remember. Everything went her way until today. Thats sports. But she should not have been there. It's not her fault there is very little depth after her and Zhenya.

LRK

Record Breaker
A true roller coaster. I wouldn't read too much from this post-Olympic WC chaos.
Russia has incredible talent, but I hope they will put more focus on stability and continuity rather than constantly relying on new kids one after another. In this sense I am wondering if Eteri is bringing some damage to the Russian system by destabilizing it with this swarm of 13 year old wonder kids with quads. I start missing Leonova.

It actually occurred to me to wonder if it hadn't been better to send Leonova? How was she looking at the Russian Cup Final? If out of shape, then of course not, but at her best, I think she might still be able to eke out a top 10 finish. And she's actually been looking better than in years. Just curious.:)