Ashley Wagner in ESPN Magazine Body Issue | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner in ESPN Magazine Body Issue

concorde

Medalist
This is what I have seen regarding the use of "butt pads" with girls at my rink. Most refuse to wear them early on due to vanity. But around the time they start working on the double axels and triples, they have had a couple of really hard falls so they are the asking for them. None wear them in competitions.

"Butt pads" are different from hockey padded shorts and the two should not be interchanged since theplacement of the paddibg is different. Figure skaters need the ones designed for their sport, not borrowed a hockey playing sibling.

I agree that most of the bad falls typically happen at practices not during competitions. The couple of bad falls I have seen is where the skater falls back and hits their head on the ice. Those "halo" pads would not help in those situations. But having a full helmet doens't seem to be the answer either. I am in agreement that more research is needed on the subject.

bevybean

On the Ice
I just started a new thread for the concussion discussion as was suggested. So, now this thread can go back to discussing Ashley naked.:p

Can we talk about the fact that Ashley totally called out Tara in the article? Lol I love it

Well, considering that Tara retired from competition at fifteen, I guess it's not too surprising that she thinks Ashley is getting up there in age for a figure skater. :)

TGee

Record Breaker
If we are worrying about fans not watching skaters with helmets, what about requiring tailbone pads, hip pads and something for the head during practice. Do most injuries happen during a competition or during training time? Especially for the figure skaters who are not at the elite level. Let's not forget that just because you are taking skating lessons, doesn't mean you are athletic to the degree that the elite skaters are.

Some mentioned placing limits based on the number of concussions. While that sounds like a good idea, it could encourage more skaters to "hide" their concussions so they can keep skating. Also, I've had a couple of concussions, but they were mild. I would bet that I suffered less from them than 1 of Ashley's. So, a blanket statement of "5 concussions and you're out" isn't an accurate assessment of the skaters.

I agree with gkelly that more research needs to be done.

Good points:

[1] Hip and tailbone gel pads seem to be very commonly worn, especially during training. But you'd be surprized how often they are worn under competition dresses...

The headbands and lined hats seem to be gaining popularity with the youngest skaters as they transition into figure skating.

But it's important to remember that balance and body memory form with certain training gear on, and if the balance changes too much for competition, it may add risk.

And it may be that the most important thing that needs to change is training technique, both off ice and on...bad technique leads to more bad falls....

[2] The first thing is to avoid athletes coming back to training and competing too soon after a concussion. Not sure what the status of this is in other countries, but the notion of 'return to play' standards and certifications are something several national sports federations in Canada have decided to comply with. It's changed the onus on physicians from 'certifying someone can't compete' to 'providing medical clearance for a return to play"...

[3] Yup.. research needs to be done....the studies that found that severe concussions often followed mild ones with a premature return to play were what drove the recent policy changes in Canada. What I'm finding annoying is the assumption that 'surely it would be safer with a helmet'....

Vash01

Medalist
I've never been a fan of this magazine issue....somehow any way you frame it, getting/taking naked pictures of yourself is tacky to me.

Finally- someone who agrees with me. I don't care how fit a person is, I find those pictures tasteless.

acapenci

On the Ice
"I think figure skating has this stereotype as a sport for little girls -- that we are these pretty porcelain dolls. I don't think people put a lot of thought into the athleticism that goes into the sport."
That's so true!

Thanks for posting, acapenci, and welcome to the forum. Post often, post long! :yes:

Last edited:

Ender

Match Penalty
"I think figure skating has this stereotype as a sport for little girls -- that we are these pretty porcelain dolls. I don't think people put a lot of thought into the athleticism that goes into the sport."
That's so true!
We have had some female skaters who are powerful... but sadly they're considered not feminine and unartistic.

mrrice

Record Breaker
We have had some female skaters who are powerful... but sadly they're considered not feminine and unartistic.

This is true and it's too bad. Tonya Harding and Midori Ito were the big jumpers of their Era. I never saw Midori live but, I did see Tonya. Though she looked big and muscular on TV, she was a tiny little thing. Not as small as Kristi Yamaguchi but, she was close. IMO, It was her packaging that was her downfall. Lots of female skaters have athletic builds but they are costumed in a way that gives them a very feminine look. Beautiful Joannie Rochette was very athletic but she was packaged in a way that made her look absolutely beautiful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clw0TG8jIxs

Barb

Record Breaker
And we have Evgenia who does not look so muscular and we all know that she is not winning for being the most artistic skater, but for her technical content.

mrrice

Record Breaker
And we have Evgenia who does not look so muscular and we all know that she is not winning for being the most artistic skater, but for her technical content.

This is completely true. Though I have never seen Med in person, you can tell that she is as thin as a rake. When you look at some of her off ice postings where she's just having fun with her friends, she is noticeably thinner than they are.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

I kinda disagree with this one, especially when people says "she got the big marks because of the jumps", it's not entirely true.

She has always received very good components because she accomplished that level of maturity and sofistication right from the start: her posture is very good, she has good skating skills, her programs don't have crossovers (which is rare to see in figure skating nowadays) and she has transitions with choreographic moments in and out of each element, so basically there is not a single break.

Evgenia may not be the most artistic skater (it's honestly very hard to say which one is the best since the top 5-6 skaters are all great), but her second mark would have been still very high (not as high as it is today of course) even without having the best technical content.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we talk about the fact that Ashley totally called out Tara in the article? Lol I love it

Well, considering that Tara retired from competition at fifteen, I guess it's not too surprising that she thinks Ashley is getting up there in age for a figure skater. :)

I've noticed that in the last few years, Tara is very positive about Ashley. I think it started in fall 2014 when Ashley added a 3Lo-1Lo-3S combo. Tara was amazed that Ashley added technical difficulty at the age of 23! She also talks about Ashley's powerful ice presence and the way she draws people in with her artistry. And calls attention to the way Ashley attacks. Johnny also talks about the impact of Ashley's artistry in the way she can portray a character. They both admire that Ashley never gives up.

But I agree, Evasorange, that Ashley called out Tara, and I was glad to see it. Without being mean about it, she courageously said how a seemingly off-hand remark from one's skating idol can hurt. She quickly added that if Tara was thinking that, then others were too, so she dealt with her feelings that way. I hope Tara reads the article and realizes that it might be wise to think before she speaks. Then again, if it helped Ashley evaluate or re-invent herself in a good way, maybe it was a good thing.

Ender

Match Penalty
My biggest question is, if Medvedeva looked less feminine, more muscular, would she get the same PCS she is getting now?

Barb

Record Breaker
My biggest question is, if Medvedeva looked less feminine, more muscular, would she get the same PCS she is getting now?

good question , on the other hand, Tessa V., Ashley, Joannie R. and Kaetlyn Osmond are muscular and very feminine.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I mean, Irina Slutskaya used to get 5.8s/5.9s for presentation from some judges. It's kind of a weird hypo because it becomes would she be the same skater?