2017-18 Retirements | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017-18 Retirements

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
I'm very sorry to hear that Han is retiring, especially at such a young age. I always enjoyed his skating, as I thought that he was very well-rounded and had interesting programs and a nice presence on ice. His 3A is a thing of beauty. :) He will be missed, but I hope that his studies and other life plans bring him fulfillment.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/B4qmMHXmYrw This EX program by Mura done in the latest Dreams on Ice was really nice. I think he has the potential to become more and more artistic in his skating to go along with his beautiful big jumps, if he chooses to do lots of shows in the future. :love: I also hope he might continue to compete in the Medal Winners Open or the Japan Open.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This saddens me about Yan's retirement. I don't understand; he had nothing to lose at least to go to worlds. He has such style and grace. Another victim of the quadsters. The cost of Boyang,Nathan, Shoma and Vincent is the loss of skaters like Yan, Chan, Firius, - can Denis Ten be far behind.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
https://twitter.com/fskating_Life/status/974504142654750722 Mura Takahito has announced retirement.
Thank you for being such a wonderful skater...and I'm looking forward to seeing you more and more in shows all over Japan. :clapper::sad21:

Otsukaresamadeshita, Mura! It's nice that Mura will join Mao and Mai for Mao's upcoming 'thank you' tour. It was actually the PR event of the tour, and Mura joined the event to announce his retirement. Mao presented Mura with flowers...

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. How can I delete it?

As I understand, you can't delete posts yourself, so you only can edit the post and write 'deleted'.

Back to the topic, nooooo Haneeee :sad4: :cry:

acapenci

On the Ice
This saddens me about Yan's retirement. I don't understand; he had nothing to lose at least to go to worlds. He has such style and grace. Another victim of the quadsters. The cost of Boyang,Nathan, Shoma and Vincent is the loss of skaters like Yan, Chan, Firius, - can Denis Ten be far behind.

Can people stop pointing fingers and blaming people for a skater's retirement and realize that people are going to retire, no matter how much we like them? We dont even know all of the reasons he retired, and im sure Yan wouldnt want us to start pushing to blame on his competitors for a choice he made. I love han yan with a big chunk of my heart and i feel really down by the news but im not going to start shunning a couple of teenagers and yan's competitors for doing what they had to do to win. What were they supposed to do? Remove all the quads and other difficult elements from their programs so the others could have a chance? 🤦*♂️

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Can people stop pointing fingers and blaming people for a skater's retirement and realize that people are going to retire, no matter how much we like them? We dont even know all of the reasons he retired, and im sure Yan wouldnt want us to start pushing to blame on his competitors for a choice he made. I love han yan with a big chunk of my heart and i feel really down by the news but im not going to start shunning a couple of teenagers and yan's competitors for doing what they had to do to win. What were they supposed to do? Remove all the quads and other difficult elements from their programs so the others could have a chance? 🤦*♂️

Chill. It's not about the people its about the direction of skating and everyone is entitled to their opinion.Simply saying that there has been a huge change or emphasis. The scoring system was suppose to be roughly fifty fifty with tech and pcs but that is no longer the case because of the quad values.

lyrichord

Rinkside
Han Yan has since removed his retirement post from his Weibo...so it might not be 100% decided.
Maybe the fed asked him to reconsider since China has zero depth behind him and Jin and wait until at least the new scoring system comes out. If quad values are being reduced he might have a fighting chance to put up competitive scores in Beijing.

Matilda

Medalist
Han Yan has since removed his retirement post from his Weibo...so it might not be 100% decided.

Here's hoping. Please, skating gods, let him decide to continue after all! He is one of the most graceful skaters out there at the moment, and his 3A is a thing of beauty. Crossing fingers and toes. Also wishing him all the best no matter what he decides.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

blackey

On the Ice
Regarding Han’s retirement, here is what I’ve read from Chinese forum. Could be entirely made up, but it’s the Chinese fed, everything seems possible over there. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

So apparently the Chinese fed trying to get Han into ice dance, pair up with Shiyue Wang, who is currently Chinese no.1 ice dance with Xinyu Liu. There is A LOT politics going on behind this. If you aren’t familiar with how things work in China, this might seem ridiculous to you. I get that, but it’s really not that crazy if you know everything that’s going around there. people who have the power to make those decisions don’t really know anything about figure skating. Han was planning to train with Rafael, the deal was made during the season between Han and Rafael, but Chinese fed reject it. The fed told Han if he wanna train with foreign coach he’ll have to pay everything by himself. So Han was in a tough spot where he can’t go back to train with his old coach and can’t really go anywhere he want. That’s why Hongbo Zhao was his coach this year. There were also some crazy rumors about the pairs. Since this is the retirement thread, I won’t post it here.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Regarding Han’s retirement, here is what I’ve read from Chinese forum. Could be entirely made up, but it’s the Chinese fed, everything seems possible over there. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

So apparently the Chinese fed trying to get Han into ice dance, pair up with Shiyue Wang, who is currently Chinese no.1 ice dance with Xinyu Liu. There is A LOT politics going on behind this. If you aren’t familiar with how things work in China, this might seem ridiculous to you. I get that, but it’s really not that crazy if you know everything that’s going around there. people who have the power to make those decisions don’t really know anything about figure skating. Han was planning to train with Rafael, the deal was made during the season between Han and Rafael, but Chinese fed reject it. The fed told Han if he wanna train with foreign coach he’ll have to pay everything by himself. So Han was in a tough spot where he can’t go back to train with his old coach and can’t really go anywhere he want. That’s why Hongbo Zhao was his coach this year. There were also some crazy rumors about the pairs. Since this is the retirement thread, I won’t post it here.

What the ... ?

That's impossible, why would they do that ? Wang/Liu are not only good, HE in particular is stellar. Why would that even happen ?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
What the ... ?

That's impossible, why would they do that ? Wang/Liu are not only good, HE in particular is stellar. Why would that even happen ?

If this is true I have a theory:
The only thing I can think is that they have a taller lady that can dance and want to pair her with Wang. He is very tall and it would be easier to match lines with a taller lady. Maybe they think they can create two excellent dance teams instead of just having one good one?

I don't know..probably just a tin foil hat theory.

icybear

Medalist

Imao you seriously believe in these rumours. :rofl: There were also rumours recently that Evgenia was going to change country.:rofl2:Whoever dumb enough to make these up must be related to each other.

blackey

On the Ice
Imao you seriously believe in these rumours. :rofl: There were also rumours recently that Evgenia was going to change country.:rofl2:Whoever dumb enough to make these up must be related to each other.
I don’t know how things work in Russian so I can’t comment on that one. I don’t 100% believe the one I post either, but it does seem very reasonable to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If this is true I have a theory:
The only thing I can think is that they have a taller lady that can dance and want to pair her with Wang. He is very tall and it would be easier to match lines with a taller lady. Maybe they think they can create two excellent dance teams instead of just having one good one?

I don't know..probably just a tin foil hat theory.

Maybe they want to boost their Team Medal prospects for 2022. But I'm wearing a tin hat too.