2017-18 Retirements | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017-18 Retirements

mrrice

Record Breaker
I thought that he already graduated - and was planning on going to graduate school to pursue his (I think) astrophysics or rocket science career.

Yeah...He's a brainiac....I saw Richard live when he won the Silver Medal in 2011. He was a great skater and wonderful performer. His LP was the thrill of night in 2011. I don't know if he still lives out here in Ca. but, I believe he used to live in Corona near his coach, Tami.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So Grant Hochstein hasn't made an official announcement (at least I didn't see one anywhere), but Tarah O'Kayne is tweeting for suggestions on a "new only friend (actively competing?)" now that Grant is retiring and Grant re-tweeted it, so I'm guessing that he is retiring.

For anyone who cares, Jason Brown is winning to "you're all alone" by 56 percent to 44 percent. :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So Grant Hochstein hasn't made an official announcement (at least I didn't see one anywhere), but Tarah O'Kayne is tweeting for suggestions on a "new only friend (actively competing?)" now that Grant is retiring and Grant re-tweeted it, so I'm guessing that he is retiring.

For anyone who cares, Jason Brown is winning to "you're all alone" by 56 percent to 44 percent. :laugh:

Grant said in his blog post last summer that 2017-18 was his last season, but I've seen no retirement statement either. Then again, I've seen nothing from Grant indicating that he was "revoking" the decision that he revealed in the blog post.

I looove :love:Tarah and Grant's interactions on social media; their senses of humor are so similar. And that Jason is barely beating "You're all alone". I wonder how he voted:laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Grant said in his blog post last summer that 2017-18 was his last season, but I've seen no retirement statement either. Then again, I've seen nothing from Grant indicating that he was "revoking" the decision that he revealed in the blog post.

I looove :love:Tarah and Grant's interactions on social media; their senses of humor are so similar. And that Jason is barely beating "You're all alone". I wonder how he voted:laugh:

It's kinda cute that Tarah considered Jason the only viable option. :laugh:

Jason probably hasn't voted... he's thinking on a rock in a desert somewhere...about being Tarah's only friend. :biggrin:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
It was posted in Han Yan's FF that he chose to retire. Message: https://twitter.com/XinyaoWuJasmine/status/974152192184737792

And it breaks my heart...

Aww, I didn't expect this one. Good luck in your future endeavors, Yan Han!

------------

ETA since I have a question partly about retirements:
Can retired skaters still be listed as substitutes in competitions? Because I took a look at the Worlds entires, and in dance, Tobias/Tkachenko are still listed for Israel eventhough I believe they're split/retired? Can anyone elucidate?

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Really disappointed to hear of Han Yan's retirement. I shall miss that beautiful triple axel. And that beautiful face.

Skye

On the Ice
Somebody tell me this is all just a bad nightmare please... :hopelessness:

russell30

Final Flight
Nooo...I understand...but....Noo...my triple Axel fave! :sad21:

:( Really enjoyed Han Yan over the years, a great mover and used his music, and yes jumps to die for!, just hope this is not Official but considering he is not going to World's might be true...

Wow Han Yan and Zijun - what a blow!!!

PS I hope and prey at least one of them or maybe both might make a comeback in order to participate in Beijing ;)

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN. There was this documentary where D1SK interviewed Mao and she said should would keep aiming for the Pyeongchang olys but she ended up retiring anyway. Ever since then I learned never to take the skaters' words and prepared for the worst (especially if their age is above average by the time the olys come around).

I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN AND IT STILL HURTS.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Han just turned 22...:( I always liked him as a person & thought his SS were very underrated, although I am allergic to Lori Nichol choreo so I could never get into his programs. I hate to see such wasted potential and that's how it really feels with Han Yan and Li Zijun. I hope he won't regret this later.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to see Han retire. But the past couple of years have not been good for him and you could see his disappointment every time he left the ice. He was such a stylistic skater and yet competition seemed to just bite him.

Haven't seen anything on Grant but isn't he getting married this summer? Sometimes it's just time to move on to the next stage of your life. He and Carolyn are so cute together. And I believe Jason is going to be in the wedding?

icybear

Medalist
I don't get why Han Yan is retiring. Maybe the injury was just too much. The Chinese field is basically him and Boyang, he could easily stay on for Beijing without worrying about competition. Oh well, I'll miss his skating and his triple axel. Such a waste of potential what with Lori terrible choreography and his injuries. He could easily be just below the top 6 skaters.

vavavoom

Rinkside
Sad about Yan Han, though it is not a surprise for me...

He has struggled with injuries and nerves. 23rd at Olympics likely sealed the deal.

Someone mentioned a relative weakness of Chinese junior men at the moment, that would have likely enabled him to compete at Olympics at home, though only if he had a motivation to train.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Han! I love his skating. I'm so sad now. He has the most glorious triple axel.