2016-17 Retirements | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Retirements

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I know they all made National Team. But money is not the only way to support a team. And I was just asking if it's maybe partly (because I would never say that it's fully) Fed fault for that... It doesn't have to be. I've read on FSU, that from 14 Ice Dance teams that competed at Seniors last season at Canadians, only W/P and G/P are left, is that true? Or exagerated? Because it's hard to believe, but if it is, then well... hard to not make connection.

Not exaggerated, though I believe the poster missed one returning team. Mistakes are possible, but here is what I can remember or tell by the current assignments:

2016 Nationals results:
1. Weaver & Poje-returning to Senior Nationals
2. Gilles & Poirier-returning to Senior Nationals
3. Paradis & Ouellette-split
4. Paul & Islam-retired
5. Orford & Hill-retired
6. Poulin & Servant-split (not sure if either has an interest in continuing?)
7. Delmaestro & Lum-split (she has teamed up with Razgulajevs)
8. Soucisse & Tanguay-split (she has teamed up with Firus)
9. Daigle-Roy & Barthe-split (he has a new partner)
10. Collins & Firus-split (he has teamed up with Soucisse)
11. Howe & Jackson-no idea, but they weren't at the Skate Canada Challenge so they won't be at Nationals
12. Linden & Voldeng-injured, still together
13. LeBlanc & Seymour-no idea, but they weren't at the Skate Canada Challenge so they won't be at Nationals
14. Campbell & Granger-returning to Senior Nationals. (I assume. They finished 7th out of eight teams at the Skate Canada Challenge).

Also:
Edwards & Pang (former Junior World medalists who missed nationals last season due to injury)-split

Juniors:
1. Bent & Razgulajevs-split, he has a new partner
2. Lajoie & Lagha-competing at Junior Nationals
3. Meng & Meng-split
4. Howland & Malette-Paquette-split, he has a new partner
5. Fisher & Brown-split (I believe I am remembering this correctly)
6. Taillefer & Chan-competing at Junior Nationals
7. Wu & Mirzakhani-competing at Junior Nationals
8. Charky & Daze-no idea, but they weren't at Skate Canada Challenge
9. Cipriano & Keeping-Mura-split, she has a new partner
10. Croteau-Villaneuve & Hough-split
11. Stairs & Royer-competing at Junior Nationals
12. Samoisette & Seidel-split, he has a new partner
13. Oliver & Waddell-no idea, but they weren't at Skate Canada Challenge
14. Marier & Wong-split, he has a new partner

Also:

Whitley & Graham (JGP participants this season, 5th at Junior Nationals in 2015 and injured last season)-split

The good news, I suppose, is that there were six more junior teams at Skate Canada Challenge this year than last.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
cathlen, you are welcomed to discuss the state of Canadian Ice dance on our Canadian skaters thread in the edge... Briefly, and not to burden this thread, what's more alarming is what happened in the juniors... TGee raised some very good points. Regarding the seniors, I think that not every team is competing to become top 5 in the world... however, when not finding their way to top 5 in Canada, it's difficult to get international assignment and when this is going to be the scenario for at least two years, considering health, time, money, studies etc, I think these young adults in their almost mid-twenties just make a sensible decision. I quit swimming when I was 18-19... I wasn't growing any taller, it was expensive, I had to study and if at 16 I were winning my races (not at national level but still) at 18 I was barely making finals... so sometimes, being competitive is a wake up call as well... With or without Tessa and Scott, most of these teams had very little chance to make it to the Olympics.... and the next ones were already too far... It's quite a commitment to think 6 years down the road. I think that explains some splits and retirements.

I wanted to, but somehow I couldn't find a thread yesterday... And I totally undesrtand, why some teams choose to retire. They need to think about themselves after all :)

Ice Dance, I will use your post for discussin, it's so neat! Great work!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
probably because Canadian Ice dance never had any depth before.. one top team held the torch for years...then another... the current situation was a blessing and probably a leftover from Vancouver 2010... it will simply come back to normal gradually... Having 3 super strong team right now is fabulous...
I'm afraid what it is is a record of the loss of an entire generation of Canadian ice dancers.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Evgeni Plushenko retired 31 March 2017.

Oh. I didn't hear that Zhenya had made it official. (Mind you, now that I think of it, I should have worked it out from the academy and coaching Adelina).

So, that's my favourite Men's skater AND my favourite Ladies skater both retired.

It is officially the end of an era. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thank you for all the memories. :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Has Misha Ge offcially retired?

No official announcement yet.

But he made it pretty obvious during the Free Skate at Worlds that that was a goodbye performance. (Still amazed that the BBC commentators didn't catch on. The Eurosport boys twigged very quickly into the routine!)

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Misha Ge offcially retired?

Many many hints on Social Media (could be my last skate, may be my last year) but nothing official there.

I love me my Misha, but he sure knows how to up the :drama: on and off the ice.;)

ETA: typing simultaneously with CL Fan. But the Free iPad pop up site slows me down:laugh:

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What's going on with Jeremy Abbott?
Jeremy hasn't announced retirement, and said he would when the time came, he was training last I knew in order to make a decision.

Speaking of Jeremy Abbott. Do you guys remember when he used to talk about switching from singles to Ice Dance? I remember reading an article about Jeremy skating with Alissa Czisny as an Ice Dance Team. Would something like that even be possible at their ages??

No, Jeremy used to skate all three disciplines of singles, dance, pairs when he was younger. He skated dance in Juvenile level with Amanda Cunningham and Katie Hoffmaster in the mid to late 90's. Pairs with Brittany Vise and Krystal Sorenson in the late 90's/Early 00's. Jeremy and Alissa have never talked about skating as a pairs/dance team that I am aware, they have skated duos in skating shows and he has choreographed for her in the past, but that's where it ended.

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Many many hints on Social Media (could be my last skate, may be my last year) but nothing official there.

I love me my Misha, but he sure knows how to up the :drama: on and off the ice.;)

ETA: typing simultaneously with CL Fan. But the Free iPad pop up site slows me down:laugh:

Also, it was discussed quite a bit on his IceTalk interview, but he still didn't make a definite announcement. I think he said something along the lines of that they needed to carefully consider all the circumstances. But also (though I'm not sure if this was on IceTalk or if I'm mixing it up with something else?), that he had thought when he saw Florent Amodio's last performance, that this was the way to go - and that he had felt at Worlds' that, as a final performance, it couldn't get better than that. Or something like that.

Note: Anyway, very good interview, and highly recommended listening.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Kanako Murakami has announced her retirement at WTT :sad21:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Do you know the face Kanako makes when she's crying? I'm doint that right now. Goodbye Kanako and thank you from the heart!

I know. And I understand you :console: Her smile was lighting up the whole Universe!

sarama

Medalist
I loved that Kanako did her signature 3Sal-2Lo-2Lo today. She has always been such a positive presence in the figure skating world:thank:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss Kanako and her joy of skating. Good luck to her as she retires from competition.