Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018?

Celine

On the Ice
From what I understand she is very much beloved amongst the skaters. Hope she has a wonderful and life-memorable performance moment at 2018 Worlds in Milan.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And she has a chance. Not that I am a big fan of her current skating. I think it is too slow and basic when compared to her own self in Sochi. But she has experience of Olympics and she can get at the top of her shape by then, give it all and skate clean like she did in Sochi. And everybody else may not withstand Olympic pressure Evgenia included. She seems to be not yet OK with her FS layout. Add lack of Olympic experience, add the crowd who may not be friendly (I hope, it won't happen, though). And then Caro suddenly has a chance even for OGM. That would be a feat even bigger than Maria Butyrskaya's worlds medal.

Any medal for Kostner would be a huge feat. But her winning the OGM (which I don't think she is capable of with her content and Evgenia's massive lead), would be one of the biggest feats (if not the biggest) in Olympic figure skating history. I just hope she goes out with a performance like Sochi. She's gone through so much and even showing up gets her props from me.

skatenewbie

Medalist
i dont think getting 70 without 3-3 is overscoring, Figure skating isnt scored solely from TES, there is PCS too. i've seen the program and imo her artistic side is still one of the best. she does have overscoring moment, like her score in 2017 WC which is completely ridiculous, getting high PCS for a clean peformance like in Lombardia is okay, but her WC performance is a mess. if she can get her 3-3 back, even with just 3T-3T and adding one lutz in FP she can scored 140+

3T-3T
3F
3Lo
3F+2T
2A+Lo+3S
3Lz
2A

this is not a bad layout, if she cant do 3F-3T yet

bobbob

Medalist
Although I don't know if Carolina will rise to her pre-hiatus levels, I wish her the best and really hope she gets a medal at least at her home worlds if not at the Olympics. I actually think her jumps are no less consistent than they were when she was at her peak (she was never so consistent), but she has lost a little speed/height/power.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think not having a triple for a lady, whether it's the lutz or the loop for instance (yuna) is not a huge factor... or at least not as much as missing quads for men..

the BV for women without that 7th triple is only a hanful of points lower than the other girls... it's big but it's not 10 points or 20 points when a guy is at a deficit of one or two quads..

if Caro is clean, she has chances... the main question I have is : can she be clean considering it's her only option right now? (added pressure)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
i dont think getting 70 without 3-3 is overscoring, Figure skating isnt scored solely from TES, there is PCS too. i've seen the program and imo her artistic side is still one of the best. she does have overscoring moment, like her score in 2017 WC which is completely ridiculous, getting high PCS for a clean peformance like in Lombardia is okay, but her WC performance is a mess. if she can get her 3-3 back, even with just 3T-3T and adding one lutz in FP she can scored 140+

3T-3T
3F
3Lo
3F+2T
2A+Lo+3S
3Lz
2A

this is not a bad layout, if she cant do 3F-3T yet

Compared to Alina's layout it is novice skating, but it's not just the layout: for today's standards she is clearly lacking on transitions and some of the jumps are telegraphed.

My bet is that as long as the others (outside the russians) aren't the doing incredible things (for instance that layout is very similar to Gabby's layout last season), she has a chance because yes the russians are doing their own competitions but the rest is far behind and Carolina Kostner can win with her high components.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Compared to Alina's layout it is novice skating, but it's not just the layout: for today's standards she is clearly lacking on transitions and some of the jumps are telegraphed.

My bet is that as long as the others (outside the russians) aren't the doing incredible things (for instance that layout is very similar to Gabby's layout last season), she has a chance because yes the russians are doing their own competitions but the rest is far behind and Carolina Kostner can win with her high components.

Uh, 7 triples, including a 2A-3S 3 jump combo and a triple-triple is NOT a novice layout in pretty much every country. :laugh:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I actually think it's fun to have this discussion now and look at it again at the end of this season. :biggrin:
Probably the WC in Milan are more important to her than the Olympics. And her chances might be better because we probably won't see all of the top skaters in Milan. Turin was such a huge disappointment for her and I really wish (for her) that she can do well at home.
And I want to point out that she doesn't need to be in top shape now, she doesn't need to qualify for any competition. She can take it safe, easy and she shouldn't risk any injuries.
Remember, no one expected her to do a 3F-3T in the SP in Sochi or to land all her planned jumps in the FS there after her performances at Europeans. But she did.
By the way, I don't think that she'll have a chance to win the OGM but a top five result is possible. And a medal in Milan would be just a great high point to finish her career.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Carolina might also be skating to secure a spot for a future skater from Italy. If she finishes in the top 10 she will secure 2 spots for Italy. I remember when Jennifer Robinson had to shoulder the responsibility for keeping Canada's ladies alive during the late 90's and early 2002's. Jennifer was only Lady from Canada in 2002 and now they have 3 spots going into these games. My, how times have changed

Ender

Match Penalty
Kostner has nothing to prove, her longevity and her quality already made a statement. If she wants to skate for herself and end her career properly at the Olympic, even some low BV doesn’t matter.

halulupu

Final Flight
she gets 141 pt without a lutz and "basic combos" so yeah she definitly is a contender for a medal (clean + 1lutz+ 3f+3t)

lavoix

Match Penalty
Out of curiosity, is she planning on upgrading jumps and changing layout a little bit? Or sticking with the same jumps she has so far this season?

Roast Toast

Medalist
I mean, look at the protocols from Lombardia and Rostelecom, she's already started moving things around. In the SP she did 3t3t instead of 3f2t. The change is more subtle in the FP because she had the same jump content planned at both competitions (of course she was much cleaner at Rostelecom), but you can see that she moved up her flying camel spin and instead moved her step sequence to the back end of the program in order to conserve her energy for the jumps in the second half. Obviously this strategy worked for her as she was clean if tight on the 2a-1lo-3s.

If I had to guess her plans for this season I would say she is aiming to get her 3f-3t back and either do two 3f, or do the 3lz and repeat 3s and 3t instead.

MedoLove

On the Ice
I don't know . But she NEED to add at least 3F-3T, because with that basic 3F + 2T she underestimates the new skaters who can reach her. She is taking refuge only in her PCS and running clean, but that strategy will not last long. I trust Mishin, and I really hope that 3 + 3 combination is present at the next event. The 3lz, and an Fs with 7 triples like Sochi, can be achieved as the season progresses, and I wish it to be so, or I would be very disappointed if she continues to win by PCS .

GGFan

Record Breaker
Out of curiosity, is she planning on upgrading jumps and changing layout a little bit? Or sticking with the same jumps she has so far this season?

According to this interview of Lori Nichol posted in Carolina's fan fest she will be upping her technical content: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/10/23/queen-carolina-nuff-said/ They're just taking their time and maintaining the artistic integrity of the programs. After Rostelecom I don't doubt she'll get that lutz. To be honest for the entire season she just needs to land one--at the Olympics.

ETA: I'd assumed this was a Katarina Witt comeback, but she's really trying to contend!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
She most likely will shift her program around a bit for that lutz, which will probably go in place of that triple loop in the first half of the program - and the loop would go in place of the triple toe, which would go into the first combo after the flip. A proposed layout would be something like this:

3F+3T
3Lz
3F
--
2A-1l-3S
3L
2A
3S-2T

However, if by the time the Olympics come around she's not comfortable with this, I could see her going with a 3F-2T at the start and putting the 3T in place of the single 2A. Or sincerely, just sticking to her current layout, because it's effective. No need to break herself in half to put a triple+triple combo in the program - with the scores she got at COR she would get a bronze in Helsinki, and with the way nerves come into play in the Olympics, she would do well to compete cleanly and let things be.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think she'd be smart to take the Polina approach of no 3-3 in the LP and instead doing the 2A-3T and the 2A-3S combinations. If she could do two flips and the lutz, she'd be in contention for the podium. She doesn't seem to get the speed out of the 3F that she used to.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Carolina can win an a olympic medal no doubt. If she wants gold she will need the 3 F 3 T combo in the short and long and add the lutz in the long. her pcs are good enoug htat with a clean long an oly Gold is possible She can even win with the 3T3T combo n the short but she needs 7 clean jumps in the long or disasters from the Japanese and Russians, Americans and Canadians to win gold with six triples. If Evgenia skates clean and kostner skates clean the pcs may enough to win gold.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kostner is too regress for success! It’s a cloud over her skating. Can’t respect it.