2017 CS Finlandia Ladies SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Ladies SP

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think Paulina looks like a tall very attractive woman. No more gangly teen. I don't like the costume and I hope they change it. But I am surprised at how pleased I am to see her back on the ice.

Leppis

On the Ice
Is anyone going to pay for the stream for the weekend? Wasn't going to but now seriously reconsidering... i don't wanna miss watching the long programs and the quality of the stream is good

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Polina looks gorgeous. She only needs to be more confident in her jumps. And let's not forget, that jumps for tall people are more difficult, than for smaller sizes. Maria S is also quite tall. Because of that, her 3Lz3T was huge. In my book Maria should lead the pack by a long margin over Carolina.

Kutien

Final Flight
1Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS67.82video
2Maria SOTSKOVA RUS67.69video
3Carolina KOSTNER ITA67.45video
4Angela WANG USA62.54video
5Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN60.72video
6Alena LEONOVA RUS56.73video
7Brooklee HAN AUS55.40video
8Yuna SHIRAIWAJPN52.98
9Karly ROBERTSON GBR52.21
10Dabin CHOI KOR52.06video
11Ziquan ZHAOCHN51.11
12Yu Jin CHOIKOR49.78
13Emmi PELTONENFIN49.62
14Polina EDMUNDSUSA49.62video
15Joshi HELGESSONSWE45.73
16Anna LITVINENKO GBR45.67
17Alisson Krystle PERTICHETOPHI45.57
18Viveca LINDFORS FIN43.12
19Annely VAHI EST41.83
20Natalie KLOTZAUT39.45
21Amelia Scarlett JACKSON AUS
23Seoyoung YOON KOR36.19
24Tina LEUENBERGERSUI34.52
25Jelizaveta LEONOVAEST30.52
26Marika STEWARD AUT29.06
27Maral-Erdene GANSUKHMGL20.76

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Edmund's costume is horror and she looks like she doubled in size.

I think that's a little extreme. She looks like a woman instead of a little girl. I think that's an improvement. I actually like the program better than some of her previous ones. Her jumps are not there yet, however, so it's unclear if she will be competitive by Nationals. And I was disappointed to see her mother there with her. She needs a real coach.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As a performer myself, I would suggest that they only read forums such as these in the company of their therapist! I highly doubt they would want to waste their mental and emotional energy that way.

I'm sure they know better, but sometimes curiosity wins out. ...

Agree with both of you.

Oddly (IMO) enough, I have seen at least a couple of GS members say that they actively inform skaters about fan threads for the skaters.

Although I believe the intentions of such contact are good, I am opposed to this practice.

Fan threads are not immune from criticism (small and large) of the skater(s).

And once a skater is in any GS thread, I agree that curiosity easily could lead to clicking over to threads in The Edge or competition threads.

Congratulations to Angela Wang on fourth place in the SP. Good luck in the FS :yay:.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm so proud of Angela Wang. I hope she can hold it together for the Long Program. She's been so close to the Podium at Nationals and would it be HUGE for her to make the Olympic Team. As for Polina, this is about where any skater would be if they took a year off. I hope she loves the sport enough to continue on after this season. She's still quite young and if she loves the sport, I think she'll be back and better than ever. I am hoping she'll have a late season run. Better to get the kinks out here than at Nationals.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I know the skaters are use to dealing with this and are professional in their sport to know people write whatever and mostly it has nothing to do with them. I think Polina's costume is great she looks good in a unitard. It is design that doesn't go with the music? It needed cut outs or sweeping crystals design down hips and much more sparkle I think. Just an opinion though. The color is also good. I think it will take time for her to get back so she just has to keep working but please please skaters leave your skates on in the kiss and cry. IT is not professional as an athlete to undress or remove skates in the kiss n cry. Just wait a few minutes. That said some of her choreography like the ballet turns into the back camel and the layback good! Her mind got the better of her but good first step.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Too bad about this performance. But a fall, no combo, and 36.43 PCS?!?!?!?! :laugh2: Can't wait to see the 9.5/9.75's she'll be getting. :rolleye:

Very surprised she did no combo... with her experience you'd think she would? Still a lovely program, but judges need to score fairly. It's rather ridiculous that Liza is only 0.37 ahead of her.

Clearly she doesn't need a combo. She could probably medal at Worlds with no combo.
::where is the emoji of me rolling my eyes::

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... please please skaters leave your skates on in the kiss and cry. IT is not professional as an athlete to undress or remove skates in the kiss n cry. Just wait a few minutes. ...

A bone bruise caused by Polina's skates is what led to her inability to compete for a year and a half.

I imagine that taking off her skates immediately is a precautionary measure (to prevent pain and/or re-injury). And I don't blame her for doing so.

(And when I have seen other skaters take off their skates immediately after leaving the ice, I always give them the benefit of the doubt that they have a good reason for doing so. YMMV.)

Are they showing my favorite activity of mitten knittin' on the live stream? I love Finlandia!!!

:agree: The mittens :luv17: are my favorite part of Finlandia.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Top 3 so close!

A little too close if you ask me. Lord knows I have respect for Kostner but, to give a score that big on a program with a fall and no combo is just criminal. Hopefully she'll have a better performance in the long. I don't blame her for her score and I'm sure she knows that this was not her best SP. It's the judges who need to explain why she is so close to Tuk.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1718/CSFIN2017/CSFIN2017_Ladies_SP_Scores.pdf

Daleman had problems in all spins, step sequence lvl3, negative GOE in two jumping passes. Carolina and Gabi were only a point apart in BV.

And there it is. 9.75 IN, and 9.50 PE for Kostner with a fall and no combo. And some other ridiculous things, like one judge giving Gabby a +3 on her obviously flawed combo

Judge 8 - Mr. Hans-Ulrich LÜTH - is my hero. Not a single +3 given out, and GOE/PCS was strict - even Kostner didn't get a single 9 from him. This is how judging should be. Not giving +3's just for landing a jump or executing a step sequence without stumbling (only +2 with a stumble, obvs!! :rolleye: :sarcasm:), and holding skaters accountable on PCS for visible errors that mar the quality of the performance instead of trivializing them as mere "blips" or "non-disruptive" or whatever rhetoric the judging apologists seem to use.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
What interesting to me about Polina is that her style is changing, from something more purely balletic to something that has elements of the balletic but is more athletic. And I don't think she's mastered that synthesis yet (not surprising, given her time off the ice with the injury). However, even with the jumping problems, it made me hope she can continue to skate and see if she can make that synthetic style more truly her own.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This thread was a great read - thanks!
I want to add that I think it's smart from Carolina's pov to not add the combo to the loop, because she would have to sacrifice parts of her choreography (and probably spin levels) for that and that would most likely lower her PCS. I think this is the first time she hit level 4 on all of her elements. 3rd overal is justified imo.
Without the time violation Maria would lead and I would agree with that. I like that oldschool music selection for her and she looks much better overal than last season. Elizaveta is fun and engaging and if she's getting her consistency back she could be a threat.
I'm not a fan of Polina's outfit, but it's good to see her back competing, even if she isn't in best shape. She has to compete at some point and she's an athlete who I think can handle a mediocre performance (not like f.e. Gracie). So she should do that. I like her look on the ice, she seems faster and I always thought that she was a delightful spinner, so I enjoyed her performance even with all those errors.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but you know what, the changes in the system mostly target MEN skating, not ladies. looool

I have to believe that changes that eventually may get implemented will address some of my concerns. I'm an optimist.