2017 CS Finlandia Ladies SP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Ladies SP

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Look above to what I wrote in response to CanadianSkaterGuy. The PCS are "out of bounds unreasonable" only if your opinion is that all falls should be punished equally and that the technical content (the technical base value, how high or low the technical score is) should be reflected also in PCS, which, in my opinion, would be quite absurd and would defeat the purpose of PCS completely.

I wasn't talking about just the falls, and I agree that some falls aren't nearly as disruptive as others. It depends a lot on the skater's ability to get right back into the program and not lose sight of the performance.

I was talking about the whole skate. In my opinion, the performance was not worthy of those scores, and all those 9's for that skate are just wrong. And I still feel that CK must herself look at that skate, and think about how hard she's worked all these years, and not feel completely at ease that the judges placed her so highly.

russianfan

Match Penalty
those scores :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
would be funny if Costner wins this, she may let herself fall a couple of times - not gonna change anything :laugh:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
And I still feel that CK must herself look at that skate, and think about how hard she's worked all these years, and not feel completely at ease that the judges placed her so highly.
:laugh2:
Sorry, but this comment is ridiculous. I thought you had more sense.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Polina's performance looked to me as I expected. I love the unitard and the color, very stylish, but I sense this is not her final SP outfit. Kind of a surprise at first to see the changes to her height and shape after a year or so away from competitive ice.. she looks very different, taller, more filled out I think, more Wonder Woman instead of Super Girl. The change is appealing, interesting and the height is gorgeous! With a tad of body streamlining her jumps should fall into place nicely. I am sure she and her team have it all in hand. Can't wait for the FS and her next comp in France!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I want to add that I think it's smart from Carolina's pov to not add the combo to the loop, because she would have to sacrifice parts of her choreography (and probably spin levels) for that and that would most likely lower her PCS. I think this is the first time she hit level 4 on all of her elements. 3rd overal is justified imo.

Can you break this down for me? Do you believe that the scores should also be so close? With Sotskova 0.2 (or even 1.2) ahead of Kostner?

I'm sure you know more than I do. I really cannot understand. I looked at the protocols and saw that the levels for Costner were higher on all elements. But were they really? And the GOEs were much higher than Sotskova, Daleman, et al. Should they really have been?

Nobody can ever convince me that there should be that much disparity in the PCS. I just don't buy that.

It's possible I have no idea what I'm talking about. But it is starting to make me angry when I watch Kostner (and Wagner), and I don't like that feeling!

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow I did not recognize Edmunds at all. She got soooo tall in one year. i kind of like this version of her. I didn't like her skating before.

yude

Record Breaker
I've just watched some skater's videos. Congratulations to Liza :clap: What a good performance to the new season!

It's always glad to see skaters coming back from injury, wow, Polina looked gorgeous! I hope she will be healthy all through season.

Yuna Shiraiwa's skating was beautiful, I thought she had improved a lot in the movements of the choreography. Good luck to her in LP!

I'm very looking forward to seeing Gabby's LP, waiting time is finally over :laugh:

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Can you break this down for me? Do you believe that the scores should also be so close? With Sotskova 0.2 (or even 1.2) ahead of Kostner?

I'm sure you know more than I do. I really cannot understand. I looked at the protocols and saw that the levels for Costner were higher on all elements. But were they really? And the GOEs were much higher than Sotskova, Daleman, et al. Should they really have been?

Nobody can ever convince me that there should be that much disparity in the PCS. I just don't buy that.

It's possible I have no idea what I'm talking about. But it is starting to make me angry when I watch Kostner (and Wagner), and I don't like that feeling!

I get why Kostner gets the highest PCS. Most of her PCS (other than Transitions) are better than the rest of the field even with falls and frankly I don't mind her winning using them.
Kostner falls and returns back to the performance.
Do I think that 9's are a tad high? Yes - but for that matter I think that PCS have increased to all skaters and are judged differently than a few years ago.
I also think the judges are trying to send a message to the other skaters - this is the benchmark of good PCS score - you should aspire to skate like Kostner.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I get why Kostner gets the highest PCS. Most of her PCS (other than Transitions) are better than the rest of the field even with falls and frankly I don't mind her winning using them.
Do I think that 9's are a tad high? Yes - but for that matter I think that PCS have increased to all skaters and are judged differently than a few years ago.
I also think the judges are trying to send a message to the other skaters - this is the benchmark of good PCS score - you should aspire to skate like Kostner.

I agree. I have seen Carolina live and she is certainly a fast and smooth skater. I have Angela Wang and she is also a fast skater with deep edges a great style. My only problem is that "Today" Carolina was not anywhere near her best and was clearly help up by the judges. I hope Angela finds it encouraging to have been this close to a National, European, and World Champion like Kostner.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Too bad about this performance. But a fall, no combo, and 36.43 PCS?!?!?!?! :laugh2: Can't wait to see the 9.5/9.75's she'll be getting. :rolleye:

Very surprised she did no combo... with her experience you'd think she would? Still a lovely program, but judges need to score fairly. It's rather ridiculous that Liza is only 0.37 ahead of her.

It's so funny that you're saying right now (and btw i'm totally with you) because when we complain about Patrick Chan's scores when he receives the same treatment the canadians here tend to be very defensive. It's the same principle.

Anyway as much as i was Team Mishin (for both Caro and Liza) here, i do think that Carolina was definitely overscored (67 with no combo and a fall is kinda crazy) and Liza should have been probably behind Maria Sotskova but not by much.

That's why sometimes i enjoy more watching juniors since the scores tends to be more clear and there is less inflation due to the reputation.

I'm happy for Liza: the gap is very close but a gold medal here would be quite a statement for her, considering she didn't started the season well and in Russia she looks a little overshadowed by the newcomers right now

Polina Edmunds: i wasn't expecting to see her already and the performance kinda reflects her situation, but she is still a fighter and that's good. I like the new programs.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like Maria's new dress was not ready yet. But she was! Good that they rearranged the choreo, she easily landed her jumps this way. Didn't understand what for the deduction came. Overall a very good opening to the olympic season from Maria!

Supposedly her program was longer than the allowed 2 mins, 50 seconds. She was over the time by 1 second :drama:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The judges did in fact put Sotskova first. The time deduction put her in 2nd but better here than at her GP events.

Yeah but i think both should have been in the 70s like Liza 70 and Masha 72 so 71 with the deduction.

I don't know how Liza managed to get the level 3 on the layback spin without even the catchfoot but still good for her.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah but i think both should have been in the 70s like Liza 70 and Masha 72 so 71 with the deduction.

I don't know how Liza managed to get the level 3 on the layback spin without even the catchfoot but still good for her.

Please, let's not get started on the scores. I too would have had Maria at 72+. I'm still salty with the scores for my favorites especially Peng/Jin :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

She had "difficult" entrance, "sideways layback", and 8 rotations in one position. Quite an ugly spin and I don't think some of these features should count, but that's where we are.

yyyskate

Record Breaker

NOT in the Junior girl's world, there, Judges are sending the msg: cluttered transition is the benchmark of good PCS, which is everything BUT Kostner.
So what directions should girls aspire to skate like ?:confused:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Rewatching Sotskova's SP: am i the only one who thinks that she would be great even in Ice Dance?

Beautiful posture, and those deep edges in the steps sequence... She could be the perfect partner for Dmitri Solovyev.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Supposedly her program was longer than the allowed 2 mins, 50 seconds. She was over the time by 1 second :drama:

Such a misfortune there. Both she and Buyanova looked shocked by this. But it's ok. Maria skated clean and got a score that she deserved.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Nooo, Maria's on the fly swatting committee now :(

Even with jump problems, Carolina is just so regal on the ice :love: her presentation and interpretation is honestly unmatched.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Why are people being so rude and acting surprised about this girl’s tights? Yes they’re the wrong shade for her, but it’s hard to find an exact match for your skin if you’re tanned or dark skinned. It’s like ice skating tights are only made in 3 different shades. Starr Andrews’s tights are way off her actual skin tone, Sotskova’s illusion mesh is much too tanned for her. And Mae and the French pair girl are forced to wear pants.