2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Japanese Ladies skating

MRani

On the Ice
Of course they can't. Their rotation speed can not be as fast as Trusova. And I mean it because I and my friend have been measuring it.
Even Trusova with crazy rotation speed is borderline her quads right now.

We’ve seen Rika land 4S in practice before. Obviously landing it in competition is a completely different thing, but it’s incorrect to say she’s incapable of doing it because we have the video proof.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Of course they can't. Their rotation speed can not be as fast as Trusova. And I mean it because I and my friend have been measuring it.
Even Trusova with crazy rotation speed is borderline her quads right now.
Trusova actually lands her quads mostly with the lift she gains, which is insane. The rotation speed itself is good but not insurmountable - Rika has significantly faster rotation on her 3As most of the time, for example. But here too, Rika's focused 3As at the start of the program have barely if any more height than Trusova's casual 2As done at the very end of a program.

I think you need to have either super fast rotation speed or amazing lift to jump quads. Trusova's very much so the latter, though the rotation speed is also well above average. Rika on the other hand is almost at "super fast rotation speed" but the lift isn't quite there. Even so, I think she has the capability at least when it comes to the physical aspects(Not sure about mental).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Like Yuhana got less than 110 at some local comps.

Clean she would have got at least 64 in SP (her PB) and 120-125 in FS (her PB is 120).

I think that it would be better to say that Yuhana did good at JWC rather than speak like if Nana was inferior to Yuhana and couldn't have get the same score.

Well that's the thing... Yuhana DID do well at WJC... and yet some people are still lamenting that Nana didn't go and would have done better. Who knows, she could have, but what Yokoi did was pretty good and no need to trivialize that.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I think the biggest problem Rika K is facing if she moves up to senior is the competition for grand prix spots. You can only have a max of 18 spots available, but it is highly unlikely that Japan will get all 18. Last year, Russia got 17 (2 at skate canada), and Japan had 14 (only 3 at NHK/Cup of China). I think at most they will likely get 16? but not 17 or 18.

This is pending results of worlds, but I don't think we will see much movement, since many top skaters already got points/season best at olympics.

We already know Satoko, Kaori, Mai, Wakaba and Marin are locks for 2 spots (SB & WS in top 24). Rika Hongo (WS 16) will likely get 2, 1 for sure. Mako (SB 23/WJ Bronze) is likely to get at least one event, if not 2. Yura (SB 24) may also be guaranteed 1 spot (if they go senior), unless a Mirai/Karen scores 195.17 to knock someone out.

This brings us to 13~16. Rika could get a host spot, or it might be used to save someone from... skate canada where judges do give out carrots.

Edit: I forgot about Yuhana, but she is ranked lower than Rika in both SB/WS, and is even less likely to get a spot than Rika, who has a 3A.

Yura's no longer top 24. Mako's 24th.

sakurano

Final Flight
I do not think that doing quads is what will beat the Russians I think Russian domination is maybe due to their training environment and their nerves of steel, maybe the JFS can start with because they have so many girls who are capable of exceeding 200 points but they have trouble getting on the podium at the novice level is juniors that seems to go but it is at senior level Satoko has nice little jumps and of the URs it does not prevent it the best sense of arthritis of the Japanese, Kaori has potential but what annoys me with it is that it does not have a personality recopying what works, I think that from here next year or in two years she can devellop this.
Wakaba also has a lot of potential, but it's got nerves of steel and a big change.
Marin is a genius I think that with the motivation she can go back.

Waiting to see the Worlds it is in June that we will be blessed with the support of the JFS and the allocation of GPS and JGP?

charlotte14

Medalist
We’ve seen Rika land 4S in practice before. Obviously landing it in competition is a completely different thing, but it’s incorrect to say she’s incapable of doing it because we have the video proof.
I know that video, the quad was UR and it was after 23 tries.

charlotte14

Medalist
Trusova actually lands her quads mostly with the lift she gains, which is insane. The rotation speed itself is good but not insurmountable - Rika has significantly faster rotation on her 3As most of the time, for example. But here too, Rika's focused 3As at the start of the program have barely if any more height than Trusova's casual 2As done at the very end of a program.

I think you need to have either super fast rotation speed or amazing lift to jump quads. Trusova's very much so the latter, though the rotation speed is also well above average. Rika on the other hand is almost at "super fast rotation speed" but the lift isn't quite there. Even so, I think she has the capability at least when it comes to the physical aspects(Not sure about mental).
We did the calculation, no one has faster rotation speed than Trusova. Rika has fast rotation too, but the height of her jumps... is it enough for her to land even UR quad consistenty? And Let's not forget, it's not just the quad that Trusova won, it's the other crazy 3-3 combos she does in the second half.

A quad takes a lot of stamina out of you, like the 3A, just landing the quad or the 3A does not make a difference. It's the ability to skate clean most of the time.

Should Rika spend all her time to invest on quads now she's off podium? As I said, had she landed all her 3A, she might have a shot at silver as the tech will be insane too. And it's not like Trusova will be clean all the times with 2 quads. We have yet to see that happen. The thing is to focus on consistency.

charlotte14

Medalist
It's not because you want/think that only Trusova and others Eteri's girls can land quads that others can't land them.
Rika can do a complete 4S.
It's not about Trusova or Eteri's girls. It's simple as this. To do quads you need
- Crazy rotation speed
- Great height in the jump

If they can not rotate as fast as Trusova (whose quads are already borderline), they nead very much height to jump it, like the men's quads.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
We did the calculation, no one has faster rotation speed than Trusova. Rika has fast rotation too, but the height of her jumps... is it enough for her to land even UR quad consistenty? And Let's not forget, it's not just the quad that Trusova won, it's the other crazy 3-3 combos she does in the second half.

A quad takes a lot of stamina out of you, like the 3A, just landing the quad or the 3A does not make a difference. It's the ability to skate clean most of the time.

Should Rika spend all her time to invest on quads now she's off podium? As I said, had she landed all her 3A, she might have a shot at silver as the tech will be insane too. And it's not like Trusova will be clean all the times with 2 quads. We have yet to see that happen. The thing is to focus on consistency.

I totally agree. Rika needs to get the 3A and 3A-3T consistent before adding a quad. But more than that, she needs to get her programs consistent by dealing with her nerves.

*also: Shcherbakova and Akatieva both have faster rotation speed than Trusova. but that's kinda beside the point :)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
We did the calculation, no one has faster rotation speed than Trusova.
No one? Hrm... Anna Shcherbakova and Sofia Akatieva have faster rotation speed than Trusova with absolute certainty. I even compare Sofia Akatieva's 3S and Sasha Trusova's 4S rotation in:
This video

It's possible that Trusova sometimes gets faster rotation speed than Rika Kihira, but most of the time I've actually had Rika rotating faster. In any case, rotation speed isn't her main advantage in comparison to Rika, it's in jump height and air time specifically.

On Rika's quad by the way, the video is not of a fully rotated one. But I think it might be possible for her to get a fully rotated one in the future.

But as you say, Rika would really need to be consistent with the rest of her jumps also. Landing some 3As and quads won't do you any good if you then proceed to pop or fall a couple of combos.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
I totally agree. Rika needs to get the 3A and 3A-3T consistent before adding a quad. But more than that, she needs to get her programs consistent by dealing with her nerves.

*also: Shcherbakova and Akatieva both have faster rotation speed than Trusova. but that's kinda beside the point :)

True, Rika will need higher success rate on 3A and 3A3T but compared to last season where I think she only landed it once in national and international competition ignoring smaller local comps, the likelihood of her landing it has improved immensely and she has no problem with rotation anymore. I don't see how she's worse off than some men not named Hanyu to be quite honest.

Asian Open: 3A (ok)
2017 JGP Latvia: 3A (fall, rotated)
2017 JGP Italy: 3A (step out, rotated)
JP Juniors: 3A3T (ok) 3A (ok)
JGPF: 3A3T (ok) 1A (popped)
JP Nationals: SP:3A (ok) FS:3A3T(ok) 3A(ok)
Jr. Worlds 1A 1A

Out of 8 Attempts of solo 3A she succeeded four times. Out of 4 attempts of 3A3T, she succeeded 3 times. So her success rate on solo 3A is 50% while her success rate in 3A3T is 75%. By next season I won't be surprised if both are more consistent. Jr Worlds was imo an anomaly, she didn't have a competition for months and her ring finger is still fractured. Even some men would say 3A is harder to stabilize than a quad. Ask Nathan. A quad on the other hand, I'm not so sure of but she has tried 4S and 4T. If she doesn't succeed, she's tried -3lo combinations too. Rika is still inexperienced but she will learn, some paths of growth are more difficult but just as rewarding. I wish you all weren't so harsh on a 15 year old girl, everyone has their own pace. She's physically grown a lot this season too, so it's amazing she still has her jumps including the 3A.

kalee

On the Ice
Actually Yura is 23th (195.56) and Mako is 24th (195.17).

It's Yuna Shiraiwa who is now displaced from top 24 SB (currently in 26th) She and Rika K are separated by less than a point on SB with Yuna on top and Rika in #27.
Yuna is quite a fair bit higher than Rika on the GP sub list based on WS (# 32 vs #56), so wouldn't be surprised if Rika K opts for another year of JGP.
Japan currently has 8 ladies in the top 24 on WS and / or SB: Satoko, Mai, Wakaba, Kaori, Marin, Rika H, Yura & Mako, so it should be possible to get all of them 2 GP's each.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think it would be better for Rika to still learning as a junior. Juniors are more competitive than seniors, so better for push her tech and train nerves. She still can be sent to 4CC or maybe seniors worlds if she has a good result at nationals.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I noticed Rika's lack of lift too. Besides her 3A, her other jumps lack height too. I am not saying they are Satoko-low, but the height of her jumps overall is not very good for a top contender.

charlotte14

Medalist
No one? Hrm... Anna Shcherbakova and Sofia Akatieva have faster rotation speed than Trusova with absolute certainty. I even compare Sofia Akatieva's 3S and Sasha Trusova's 4S rotation in:
This video
They're not at JWC.

But as you say, Rika would really need to be consistent with the rest of her jumps also. Landing some 3As and quads won't do you any good if you then proceed to pop or fall a couple of combos.
That's my point. She already has 3A3T and 3A, enough to stay competitive, place 2nd or 1st IF she lands the rest of her jumps. But NOPE, she has to go for 4S, 4T even though the rest of her program often fails apart. If I were her coach I would be: No, sweetie, stay with what you have and make it consistent.