Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Tsurskaya, Pogorilaya, and Radionova can be shaky, too. I don't think there is a clear-cut choice for Evgenia's spot.
Pogorilaya is out with injury, Radionova finished her season after Nationals so they are not realistic choices, Polina had a bad performance at the Russian Cup Final and it looks like her health isn't letting her train enough to maintain form.

Didn't the winner automatically get 3 spots?

I think the winner (and also the second place finisher) gets an automatic three spots for the next year only in the case where that skater is the only representative of her country that year. Something like that.

Jedi

On the Ice
Of course she has more experience, she's turning 18 this year and competed at Jr Worlds against little girls. Nastya is an actual junior who has been robbed of that opportunity TWICE (once at Russian nats, and second time right now). I can't even say how angry I am. I don't understand why Zhenya didn't announce it earlier to give the other girls more chance to have their dreams come true.

Wow Konstantinova better go now; isn't 18 kind of the retiring age in Russia? I mean Zag is 15. She's close to being the senior on the team.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
With Meds withdrawing, there will be a little more space for other deserving ladies to get a medal.
I hope Wakaba gets a medal. It would be great for her career and put her on the map as a frontrunner foregood. Between her and Satoko, they might get 3 spots back.

I would have preferred Polina as well, but let's see what Stanislava can do.

As for Gubanova; I think she has a tough season ahead of her if she stays a junior. The junior field is supercrowded with absolute powerhouses, especially if Anna S. is back to her best form by then. Added to this, there might be some 13 year old new Russian stars entering the field.

I guess Sofia Samodurova will turn senior, as this gives her some time to build a reputation away from Trusova and co. We saw what happened to Gubanova; one fourth place finish and she was out of the JGP. Even a second place finish might not be enough, as happened to Gulyakova, who did not get a second JGP spot after getting a silver (!) medal for her first. So, ironically, I think Samodurova will have an easier time in the senior field.

I can see Samodurova get a spot at next year's worlds. Sadly to say, in two years world spots will probably be unobtainable for the likes of Tuk, Pogo, Radionova etc, and perhaps even Sotskova and Samodurova. So they really need to grab their chance in the coming season.

Well, it doesn't look like Pogorilaya will be ready to return, if she chooses to. So, Sofia has a chance at the Rostelecom host spot, but girl needs to heal up first! she's currently 28th on the SB, so getting a GP is doable but not guaranteed. If Panenkova is given two without the host spot, I hope and think that it'll go to her. If she doesn't get a GP, I hope she can do CS alongside Sakhanovich, Leonova, and Mikhailova (#31, #29, #35, on the SB currently)

randomfan

Record Breaker
I’m not too worried about the 3 spots. But the way the federation handled these assignments is very disappointing to me. No, not because one has a higher scoring potential/record than the other. It’s because there are others who had cases for the assignments. Polina and Elena both won GP bronzes this season, and while I understand that Elena isn’t in the mix due to her low placement at Nationals, Polina still did okay. Stanislava was amazing at Nationals, but...that was it. If Stanislava wasn’t sent to Junior Worlds, I’d have no problem with her going to Worlds, but now that Stanislava is going to both, it pains me to see that Polina and Anastasiia were given nothing just for one other skater.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Carol Lane and Kurt Browning both commented that Evgenia would be wise to take time off after the Olympics so she can heal properly. These are folks who know, especially Kurt, that competing while injured is not a good idea. I'm sure there is no shortage of Russian Ladies to take her place!

bobbob

Medalist
On the bright side, all the stars are aligning for Carolina to get a final medal. If she gives even a half decent skate, a bronze should be easy...especially since Satoko's URs can be called at any second if the judges want to.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
This makes you wonder why was she crying after her free skate in Olympics. And explains why her jumps were not "it" this year.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On the bright side, all the stars are aligning for Carolina to get a final medal. If she gives even a half decent skate, a bronze should be easy...especially since Satoko's URs can be called at any second if the judges want to.
I'm skeptical that Carolina can get the technical content to push her over the top anymore in a contest where the top Canadian/Japanese/Russian skaters attend in force, even with her typically strong PCS marks. Even at the Olympics when Maria stumbled in the short program and Gabby just flamed out completely, Kaetlyn and Satoko delivered, and Wakaba also beat Carolina at Lombardia this season.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Well, it doesn't look like Pogorilaya will be ready to return, if she chooses to. So, Sofia has a chance at the Rostelecom host spot, but girl needs to heal up first! she's currently 28th on the SB, so getting a GP is doable but not guaranteed. If Panenkova is given two without the host spot, I hope and think that it'll go to her. If she doesn't get a GP, I hope she can do CS alongside Sakhanovich, Leonova, and Mikhailova (#31, #29, #35, on the SB currently)

Heal? Is Sofia injured?:eek:

I really hope she will get that host spot and get a personal best there to help build her up.

Grin

Medalist
Nah, Stasya has 2 more attempts to become junior world champion. She won't retire

bobbob

Medalist
I'm skeptical that Carolina can get the technical content to push her over the top anymore in a contest where the top Canadian/Japanese/Russian skaters attend in force, even with her typically strong PCS marks. Even at the Olympics when Maria stumbled in the short program and Gabby just flamed out completely, Kaetlyn and Satoko delivered, and Wakaba also beat Carolina at Lombardia this season.

It's in italy, it is probably her last skate, she will get HIGH PCS, probably he highest PCS we have ever seen. Gabby clean won't even beat Carolina with 3 triples in the long. Satoko will get called URs. Wakaba lost to Carolina at GPF and does not look as good as she was earlier in the season. If Kaetlyn doesn't replicate her Olympic performances, she will score lower too. If she (Carolina) gives performances comparable to her Olympic skates it will be extremely unlikely she does not medal, even if Maria/Wakaba/Satoko/Gabby/Katelyn are completely clean (Katelyn would be the only one to outscore her).

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
i can't believe i'm saying this but even Radionova would be a way better choice...

Based on what? The fact that you like her more? :rolleye:

She would not be a better choice imo.

The likelihood of Alina not winning + neither Sotskova or Konstantinova finishing in top 12 at least is very low. I don't get people freaking out, but this is internet forum so maybe I shouldn't be surprised how little it gets to induce people lamenting and get them worked up. Obviously people will project their dislike and they love bashing on Stanislava.

Calm down.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, Radionova even this season has scored 7 points above Konstantinova's SB and actually did that in a GP event. She also is a world medalist, a high PCS skater and her scoring potential in the best case scenario is quite good - A possible medalist.