Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Because of Konstantinova, Polina isn’t sent to WC. And possibly Anastasia Takaranova was robbed of a JWC spot as well.
Konstantinova beat Tsurskaya at Russian Nationals and Tarakanova at Junior Nationals (where Tarakanova only finished 7th mind you), and Konstantinova has already been mentioned as a 1st alternate back in January so there's nothing shocking here and your ''because of'' sulking is disrespectful if you ask me. Some say that Stanislava is overscored in domestic competitions, I ackowledge those arguments but all in all what's done cannot be undone so just get over that, she actually skated pretty well at both Nationals and well enough in some other smaller events. I don't think she's a surprising choice at all. I'd actually like to watch Tsurskaya instead but it does not matter now.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don't understand why people keep talking about Gubanova and Radionova. If you are a fan of them, then you must know they've been on tour in Switzerland for the past few weeks. Not training. There was no way they are going to be candidates to go to Worlds. So why keep beating this dead horse?

I am also sick of Stasya, but I don't think Valentina's skaters are going to be held up any more after this season. How many times do they need to fall flat (literally) before the Fed says enough?

moriel

Record Breaker
The 'evil' RusFed just can't do anything right - if they follow the rules and put on the team skaters who placed best at nationals - they are at fault if they chose by reputation/BoW -they are wrong too...:eek:hwell:
I get it that people are surprised that an unknown girl is to go to Worlds when the Russian ladies field is so deep, but ironically at a closer look the senior eligible ladies are not doing so well so Stanislava is not that surprising choice after all. As already were said by other posters, Anna, Elena, Liza, Polina all have problems either with injuries or their form. Of course there might be some politicking involved in addition - like not letting Eteri to dominate totally but mainly I think the Fed sees in Stanislava a star quality and wants to give her a chance (and I hope she'll use it well). I am not a fan (yet) but there is no denying that her speed and ice coverage could rival that's of Caro in her best days. Stanislava is also very expressive she just needs a bit of polish and most of all more consistency. Wishing her good luck in Milan!

The issue is not about following the rules. The issue is that RusFed cheated. Look at the scores Konstantinova got at RusNats, and the scores she gets internationally.
RusFed cheated in the scoring, and then just followed the rules, yes.

People are not surprised, and Konstantinova is not unknown - in fact she is very well known for receiving unreasonable scores in russia (to a point where the fans wonder if her father is some important dude who is paying for it). The thing is, OUTSIDE RUSSIA, she NEVER gets the scores she recieved at RusNats.

As for overscoring, let her scores speak for themselves:
In russia: 211 206
Outside russia: 181 174 190 199 186
Thats some difference.

For comparison, Tsurskaya:
In russia: 207
Outside russia: 210 195

Tarakanova:
In russia: 198
Outside russia: 196 165 199

See how the last 2 can get the same scores they got at home internationally. The only time konstantinova scored above 195 internationally was at a CS event.

charlotte14

Medalist
Konstantinova beat Tsurskaya at Russian Nationals and Tarakanova at Junior Nationals, and Konstantinova has already been mentioned a 1st alternate in January so there's nothing shocking here and your ''because of'' blah blah is disrespectful if you ask me. Some say that Stanislava is overscored in domestic competitions, I ackowledge those arguments but all in all what's done cannot be undone so just get over that. I don't think she's a surprising choice at all.
My reply was about “I don’t think Eteri doesn’t care”. I think she cares because her skaters lost the chance to go even though they might do better Internationally.
Of course people already knew about the alternative since January, it doesn’t mean people have no rights to complain. They already complained since that day on twitter I have seen. The thing is, it’s quite an irony because with such a packed field and horrible bloodbath they sent one same girl who hasn’t scored over 200 Internationally to both JWC and WC. If she does well, good for her. But it doesn’t mean people have to feel satisfied with Russian fed.
And btw, Takaranova didn’t make mistake at Junior National while Konstantinova did.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
Please stay on topic. This is not a thread about Ksenia stolbova or doping or about the IOC's decisions visa vie the 2018 Olympics.

Furthermore, spreading unproven rumours or allegations about a skater is against forum rules.

If your post has disappeared it is because you responded to this type of post.

Report rather than respond please.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
BTW who else noticed - one Anna Karenina is out and another in

I know, that’s kinda cool. I think Stanislava definitely has a case for at least top 7. She could be above all 3 Americans but possibly not above a clean sotskova or Daleman. With Medvedeva gone there is an extra spot on the podium so the ladies better step it up, no better chance at a world medal than now!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It's weird to me that some of you are saying your tired of seeing Stanislava when I have never seen her skate because I don't watch jrs.

Am I the only one who has actually not seen her skate very much? To me she will be a fresh face and I look forward to seeing her compete and do well.

BTW, I loved that Polina T. was skating to Light of the Seven from the GOT soundtrack. +10 GOE for music choice from judge 6-Me.

Get well soon Evgenia. Looking forward to seeing her on the GP circuit this fall.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't understand why people keep talking about Gubanova and Radionova. If you are a fan of them, then you must know they've been on tour in Switzerland for the past few weeks. Not training. There was no way they are going to be candidates to go to Worlds. So why keep beating this dead horse?

I am also sick of Stasya, but I don't think Valentina's skaters are going to be held up any more after this season. How many times do they need to fall flat (literally) before the Fed says enough?

If she is not Stasya, it will be another skater not from Eteri's group.

I mean don't get me wrong, for me here it should have been Zagitova - Sotskova - Tsurskaya (even though i'm not a huge fan of her LP), but you have to consider that Sambo70 is still not the most influential club in Russia, so despite Eteri has always the stronger girls, they will push some other skater not from their group even though they are clearly not as talented.

In this case Stasya is perfect for their political games considering she is pushed by SPB fed (which is also big and mad because they don't have a lot of top skaters) but she is also pushed by TAT apparently.

It's a little sad because we may never see an Eteri only podium.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Stanislava's Anna Karenina is like a cheap parody of Evgenia's emotional Anna Karenina.

TAT doesn't think so. Valentin Nikolaev (coach of Petrenko & Bauil) doesn't:
https://rsport.ria.ru/winter2018_analytics/20180123/1131498882.html
He says here that he enjoyed watching all the ladies at the Russian Nats but he singled out Stanislava [though was 'provoked' to praise Kostornaya]. He said he can't put it in words well but he 'was impressed, very. She skates and radiates a glow around her ...'without that 'I need to win this ' written across her face.'

BlueCat28

Match Penalty
He says here that he enjoyed watching all the ladies at the Russian Nats but he singled out Stanislava [though was 'provoked' to praise Kostornaya]. He said he can't put it in words well but he 'was impressed, very. She skates and radiates a glow around her ...'without that 'I need to win this ' written across her face.'

At least her jumps are better then muscled Evgenias one.:laugh: Not to mention lutz

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

TAT said Stasya should have won Jr Nats over Trusova. On this forum even some who have seen Stasya live say she looks like a totally different skater than on video.
But that doesn't explain her getting 69 (!!!) PCS at Jr Nats vs getting 58 at Jr Worlds (despite performing better at JW). And her Karenina to me is just not comparable to Evgenia's :noshake:

Really it's sad that she is getting so overscored at home. After her SP at JW she looked pretty happy in the KnC, and then her scores came up and you could see she was confused and disappointed. They are doing her a disservice.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
VEry weak? Seriously? If there were no Zagitova, evgenia, Costner, Osmond, miyahara..then we woeuld say that competition would be weak...

I think they mean the competition for Zagitova is weak. And I sort of agree. If Zagitova skates cleanly she will get the PCS marks as well and I don't think anyone but Costner and maybe Osmond can get close to her. With Satoko it's always about the caller so who knows.

We could still end up with a Russian sweep. Who knows? Ultimately I don't care if the best 3 skaters over 2 programs wins.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I think they mean the competition for Zagitova is weak. And I sort of agree. If Zagitova skates cleanly she will get the PCS marks as well and I don't think anyone but Costner and maybe Osmond can get close to her. With Satoko it's always about the caller so who knows.

Yeah, and at one time Alina was only 1 point ahead of Wakaba, remember? :scratch2: But now, if she's clean, she probs gets an OGM boost no matter what. Also, PSA I really like Alina but I hate how much of a reputation party PCS has become.

moriel

Record Breaker
Yeah, and at one time Alina was only 1 point ahead of Wakaba, remember? :scratch2: But now, if she's clean, she probs gets an OGM boost no matter what. Also, PSA I really like Alina but I hate how much of a reputation party PCS has become.

Dont worry it will get even worse next years, with reputation GOE and so on.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, I think it is wishful thinking to think that Kaetlyn will beat Alina. Alina is much more consistent than Kaetlyn, for starters. There's a much greater chance of Kaetlyn melting down than there is Alina melting down, not like I'd want either to happen, just stating facts. And if Alina does make a mistake, she's got a bit of cushion in BV over Kaetlyn anyway. Putting the 3F-3T and 2A-3T in the first half just isn't competitive with someone with a 3Lz-3Lo and 2A-3T in the second half. Both will get Olympic medalist PCS, but Alina will probably get a bit bigger of boost for being the reigning Olympic gold medalist (sounds wonderful writing that, good job Alina :))