Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva withdraws from Worlds 2018

pearly

Record Breaker
I think 12th or lower, isn't 13 total (12+1, let's say) what you need for three spots?

This should help Japan get their third spot back.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
What a lousy way to end what must have been a crushingly disappointing season for her (as disappointing as a season where you win two Olympic silver medals can be, anyway).

Admittedly, with two spots on the podium open there are lots of interesting possible combinations.

millie

Medalist
Mark my words ....that will be last of Medvedeva. If I were a betting person, you won’t see her skating again....I think that there are underlying problems.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think 12th or lower, isn't 13 total (12+1, let's say) what you need for three spots?

This should help Japan get their third spot back.

Yes. So as soon as Maria/Stanislava both are either 13th or lower, the spot is gone. (Assuming Alina wins, if she is second it's 12th and the spot is gone, if she is third it's 11th and the spot is gone) Maria made the GPF and got silver there and barely missed the podium at Europeans. She was 8th at the Olympics, with Evgenia in the mix. Of course, she can make mistakes, but we rarely see her bomb THAT extremely, so that she's 13th. I just don't see it.

moriel

Record Breaker
It was decided at Russian Nationals, so why moan about it now? Would be unfair to send another skater. And I also fully believe that Maria Sotskova can win a silver medal, or podium. Did we forget that she did all that at GPF and she wasn't THAT bad at Europeans either?

Ummm it was not decided at russian nationals. It was decided at some random point of time by RusFed.

Konstantinova:
Internationally: 181, 174, 190, 199, 186
Rus Nationals: 211

Tsurskaya:
Internationally: 210, 195
Rus Nationals: 207

So the thing is Tsurskaya can get 210 internationally. Konstantinova cannot get 200 internationally.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well I mean, Anna was 13th last worlds and she bombed pretty much as hard as one can possibly bomb. So indeed, it's tough to see Sotskova placing that low.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
Well I mean, Anna was 13th last worlds and she bombed pretty much as hard as one can possibly bomb. So indeed, it's tough to see Sotskova placing that low.

So if Alina wins, all they need for the 3rd sport is Maria placing above 13th? What stasya places doesn’t matter?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Mark my words ....that will be last of Medvedeva. If I were a betting person, you won’t see her skating again....I think that there are underlying problems.

:laugh:

I wish Polina could have gone over Stasya, but we don't know what kind of condition she's in and she was only 6th at the Russian Cup Final. Most likely she finished the season after that & hasn't been training as hard as Stasya.

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes. So as soon as Maria/Stanislava both are either 13th or lower, the spot is gone. (Assuming Alina wins, if she is second it's 12th and the spot is gone, if she is third it's 11th and the spot is gone) Maria made the GPF and got silver there and barely missed the podium at Europeans. She was 8th at the Olympics, with Evgenia in the mix. Of course, she can make mistakes, but we rarely see her bomb THAT extremely, so that she's 13th. I just don't see it.

Sorry - at work - what I meant was, she needs 12th or higher for Russia to keep three spots. But you were talking about the opposite situation. Nevermind!

pearly

Record Breaker
So if Alina wins, all they need for the 3rd sport is Maria placing above 13th? What stasya places doesn’t matter?

Yes, 12th or higher if Alina wins. Combined total of best and second ranked skater from one country has to be 13 or less to keep three spots.

Lily flowers

On the Ice

What are those underlying problems that you see and we don’t?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Maria isn't the type to completely fall apart like that. She's a pretty stable skater, who doesn't let the program run away too much, after a mistake. As much as I love Anna, I cannot say the same about her. Anna was lucky to be 13th, but that was basically because she had a good SP and was in 4th place. Maria wasn't perfect at last years Worlds either, which came a bit as a surprise, but was soon forgotten after Anna's meltdown. The last skater that we've seen completely fall apart since Anna's Skate Canada desaster, was Gabrielle Daleman at the Olympics.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Maria isn't the type to completely fall apart like that. She's a pretty stable skater, who doesn't let the program run away too much, after a mistake. As much as I love Anna, I cannot say the same about her. Anna was lucky to be 13th, but that was basically because she had a good SP and was in 4th place. Maria wasn't perfect at last years Worlds either, which came a bit as a surprise, but was soon forgotten after Anna's meltdown. The last skater that we've seen completely fall apart since Anna's Skate Canada desaster, was Gabrielle Daleman at the Olympics.

Last year at Worlds, Sotskova doubled a flip, got a downgrade on a lutz that also had a fall, and a UR on an axel
Not great but not as bad as Anna--or Ashley, who was marked ahead of her with the following errors: singled the 3T, URed the 3S, URed the second 3F, and got a full on edge call (neither Medvedeva or Osmond received even a warning, so her edge must've been pretty terrible because she had good reputation that season)
Also worth noting that Higuchi was beind Sotskova in the free by tenths of a point

so it wasn't a great Worlds for Sotskova (but not terrible either)
she needs to really improve from that, though, and perform like she did at the GPF.

andromache

Record Breaker
This is a constant anti-russian poster, you can just ignore their posts :)

Anti-Russian poster or not, I'll admit I'm concerned about Evgenia's future. I think she loves competing, but with this injury + the realization that she's unlikely to get another Olympic chance in 4 years (the crazy depth in Russian ladies) + the overall effort her jumps looked to have taken this season makes me a little concerned.

I kept hope alive for Adelina and Yulia to make their comebacks for too much time to not have some worries....

MiRé

Match Penalty
With so many top scoring skaters gone, I guess it's a chance for small federations to obtain more than 1 spot for next worlds. Zagitova should win easily now that Evgenia is out, barring any injuries or mistakes.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Anti-Russian poster or not, I'll admit I'm concerned about Evgenia's future. I think she loves competing, but with this injury + the realization that she's unlikely to get another Olympic chance in 4 years (the crazy depth in Russian ladies) + the overall effort her jumps looked to have taken this season makes me a little concerned.

I kept hope alive for Adelina and Yulia to make their comebacks for too much time to not have some worries....

I think she just needs to heal fully. She definitely can continue getting medals at least in the next 1-2 years, sometimes gold ones. Then it will depend on how good new juniors can perform at that point of time(most likely they will kick her out of the national team).