2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Pairs' Figure Skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deanna and Nate are not listed on the USFSA International Selection Pool

https://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84156&menu=TeamUSA

:sad21:

Of course, it's not final, but they have the scores so it's not a case of waiting to see if they qualify. They had been talking about skating through the quad, so I am befuddled. I hope it's a typo.

:sad21:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I hope S/B haven't split. I don't think their LP was the best artistically but Deanna can land triple jumps I don't care how old she is. If she wants to continue I hope she gets the chance to do so, even if Nate has decided to move on to other goals.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, dear. I hope it's a typo. Otherwise it's a bad feeling. :sad21: I know how upset they were/must have been about not being sent to 4CC. There was some article before the 4cc team was announced, where Deanna was outspoken about being glad for 3rd place because they really needed the points, and it sounded like they were more or less expecting to go, on the basis of finishing 3rd at nationals. Then I couldn't find the article later. Honestly I can't imagine either of them continuing with a new partner; this match was such a good fit for both in many ways. But still, stranger things have happened and I've been surprised before.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Deanna was seen at the pairs camp that usfs just held. Since o'shea and Frazier were so there I'm sure people thought she was just assisting the newbies. But with this news, I think she is looking for a partner. She came back to get to the Olympics and I would think that is still the goal

temadd

Final Flight
The goal is to build up U.S. pairs and think giving more opportunities is more important then prize money or anything else that would come from that. Plus I worry about potential fatigue for Cain and Leduc , they have been competing since June. In my opinion it would have been smarted to send someone else. but feel free to disagree.

This is the prize money for WTT 2019: 1st place team:US$ 200’000 2nd place team:US$ 170’000 3rd place team:US$ 160’000 4th place team:US$ 150’000 5th place team:US$ 140’000 6th place team:US$ 130’000.

The minimum each athlete will win is $16,250 (for 6th place) and the US will likely place higher than 6th.

With all the success Cain & LeDuc had this season - winning nationals, medal at a GP event, beating all US teams at 4CC, and getting 2 world spots back for US pairs I feel that it would be a slap in the face to them to send another pair. They earned the opportunity to compete at this event and earn great prize money to continue their training.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Sorry the Fed will do and has done whatever they want. They don't care about the athletes feelings nor should they. Look at how they supposedly slapped Nate and Deanna in the face for 4 Continents. (I agreed with the decision). Any of the other pairs could use the money to continue their training. I don't think they made the smartest decision they could of.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sorry the Fed will do and has done whatever they want. They don't care about the athletes feelings nor should they. Look at how they supposedly slapped Nate and Deanna in the face for 4 Continents. (I agreed with the decision). Any of the other pairs could use the money to continue their training. I don't think they made the smartest decision they could of.

Which other pair should USFSA have chosen instead of Cain/LeDuc? And on what competitive basis?

Nirti

Medalist
Which other pair should USFSA have chosen instead of Cain/LeDuc? And on what competitive basis?

I think the debate is more about the choice of Kayne/O'Shea (4th at Nationals) instead of Stellato/Bartholomay (3rd at Nationals)

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I personally think either Kayne and O'shea or Nate and Deanna. Mostly because it was heard that Ashley was still experiencing concussion symptoms. I believe Kayne and O'shea had the better body of work internationally and i would have wanted them to end their season on a better note. Nate and Deanna based on what many feel is a snub. Also because in my opinion WTT should not be considered a real competition by the fed, there does not need to be a competitive basis. I would have thought about sending Calalang and Johnson or Liu and Mitrofanav to get them some experience.

temadd

Final Flight
I personally think either Kayne and O'shea or Nate and Deanna. Mostly because it was heard that Ashley was still experiencing concussion symptoms. I believe Kayne and O'shea had the better body of work internationally and i would have wanted them to end their season on a better note. Nate and Deanna based on what many feel is a snub. Also because in my opinion WTT should not be considered a real competition by the fed, there does not need to be a competitive basis. I would have thought about sending Calalang and Johnson or Liu and Mitrofanav to get them some experience.

Again, you have to reward your top team with the chance at a minimum of $16,250 prize money (per person), $20,000 per person and up for 3rd place or higher.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US Fed made the smartest decision they could have made, because the Fed wants to win.

WTT has never been used as a developmental or a challenger competition. Nor should it be. That's why Senior B's exist.

Cain/LeDuc are, at this moment, the top US pair. They finished ahead of Kayne/O'Shea in their last two head to head comps. If a silver at IdF were the defining moment, Jason would be going to WTT. And as much as I would love that, I understand why he is not. This is one more opportunity for Cain/LeDuc to solidify their position with the international judges and in the international community.

And one last chance for me to see Bella Belle:hap10:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I believe Kayne and O'shea had the better body of work internationally and i would have wanted them to end their season on a better note.

Not according to either World Standings (several seasons) or World Rankings (this season); Cain/LeDuc are higher than Kayne/O’Shea in both.

If you were another member of the U.S. team, competing at WTT with the hopes of getting the highest-possible medal & also important prize money for your training, would you want the fed to choose its pair based on giving someone some experience and/or a more pleasant end to the season? Or would you want the fed to choose the team that just competed strongly at Worlds?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's confirmed:sad4:

Deanna and Nate have split. :sad4:

Nate's tweet: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-WoQ6HYWQ/

Sounds like my homeboy is figuring out whether or not to retire, and Deanna appears to be continuing.

So sad, but thanks for the memories!

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I don't think you need to. That's what I'm saying. I think the Fed can do whatever it wants. I think Cain and LeDuc were the top team this season. I'm not arguing that. I don't think you need to send your top team.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think you need to. That's what I'm saying. I think the Fed can do whatever it wants. I think Cain and LeDuc were the top team this season. I'm not arguing that. I don't think you need to send your top team.

If the point isn’t to select the best skaters in an effort to win the top medal, then why on earth was Nathan Chen selected? Really, why not give Jason another chance at a competition quad?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Kayne & O'Shea got their second chance at a better final skate at 4CCs. (It didn't pay off). They've already announced their music for next season, which implies they've wisely moved forward. Nate is apparently injured so obviously selecting S&B wasn't even an option if they had stayed together.