2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Just watched the senior ice dance qualifiers in Sheffield - Lilah and Lewis's free dance was amazing. I think (from memory) they scored 119, which is great for so early in the season. (I chatted to them very briefly afterwards - they were both delightful). Thanks to Goldenskate for alerting me to this event - I had no idea it was happening - Sheffield Ice Skating rink is really rubbish for promoting skating and letting people know about events. It's a real pity, as I'm sure there would have been a much bigger audience for all the skaters if there'd been any publicity.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m not sure they have released that information yet but I’ll look into it. :)

Just watched the senior ice dance qualifiers in Sheffield - Lilah and Lewis's free dance was amazing. I think (from memory) they scored 119, which is great for so early in the season. (I chatted to them very briefly afterwards - they were both delightful). Thanks to Goldenskate for alerting me to this event - I had no idea it was happening - Sheffield Ice Skating rink is really rubbish for promoting skating and letting people know about events. It's a real pity, as I'm sure there would have been a much bigger audience for all the skaters if there'd been any publicity.

I’m jealous of anyone who got to go, I was working in Cromarty all week.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just posted this in the Tayside Trophy thread, but thought it should be here too.

Entries / Results Page for the club competition (Friday 9[SUP]th[/SUP] to Sunday 11[SUP]th[/SUP] August):

http://www.iceresultsuk.org.uk/Dundee/2019/TaysideTrophyCI/

Not many entries from outside the British Isles. Just a few Americans (all representing The Skating Club Of New York), and that's it.

The big disappointment is that there are no guys entered at Senior, Advanced Novice (15+), or Intermediate level.

As you would expect, most of the entries are from clubs in Scotland. However, from my viewpoint, it is encouraging to see that there is a contingent of skaters from the Dundonald Club making the journey over to Dundee. It's been a while since we saw any skaters from Northern Ireland at the British Championship, so hopefully this is a good sign for the future.

Hopefully it won't be long until the Entry list for the ISU competition (Monday 12[SUP]th[/SUP] to Tuesday 13[SUP]th[/SUP] August) is released. I'm curious to know what international skaters will appear. (Given that there are skaters from the New York club in the club competition, I expect there to be some in the ISU competition as well)

CaroLiza_fan

Andrea82

Medalist

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Ah. I must have missed it in amongst all the other links! :eek:: :slink:

Thank you!!! :bow: :clap: :points:

My goodness! I was expecting the number of entries to be lower than other Senior B's, but I wasn't expecting them to be this low! :shocked:

Senior Ladies, Senior Men and Junior Ladies have 4 entries, while Junior Men have 3 entries! :jaw:

No entries from outside the British Isles in Seniors. And 2 Swedes in each Junior competition.

You know, in light of the low entries, it would have been better to combine the corresponding club and ISU competitions for Junior and Senior levels, and just had it as a 3 day event. But, I suppose that everybody would have had travel arrangements already in place.

Hopefully the skaters that are there will make it a good event! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Andrea82

Medalist
I wasn't expecting huge numbers either. I kinda expected low numbers in Juniors because there is an international competition in Germany in the 10-11th weekend. So I guessed those wanted to compete in that period would pick up just one of the two.
I thought they could have mustered a couple of European based girls who wanted a competitive test on their new programs during the summer. As fow now, the Sr Ladies scores won't even count as international because of lack of a second country.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
No entries from outside the British Isles in Seniors. And 2 Swedes in each Junior competition.

Hopefully the skaters that are there will make it a good event! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Selma is female so three junior ladies an one man. Or there might be other errors as well...?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Selma is female so three junior ladies an one man. Or there might be other errors as well...?

:laugh:

Oooh. That's embarassing for the organisers. :eek:: (I admit that only looked at the nationalities rather than the names, so I didn't notice).

So, that means only 2 Junior men in the ISU competition - one British and one international. :disapp:

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at the entries in Junior and Senior level at both parts of the event:

ISUClubTotal
BritishInternationalTotalBritishInternationalTotalBritishInternationalTotal
Senior Ladies404303707
Senior Men22
(Irish)
Junior Ladies23
(Swedish)
(American)
Junior Men11
(Swedish)
(Irish)
Total96151631925934

When you see numbers like this, it is a pity that the competitions can't be combined. OK, so it wouldn't make any difference to Senior Ladies counting, since there are no international entries in either competition. But it would make things more interesting for spectators and skaters alike if all the skaters at the same level were competing against each other. At least you could do direct comparisons of scores.

Oh well!

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
So without a third country the scores won’t be counted by the ISU. Still any competition is good practice.

Andrea82

Medalist
So without a third country the scores won’t be counted by the ISU. Still any competition is good practice.

2 countries is ok. Therefore, Great Britain+Ireland and Great Britain+Sweden events will get scores counting towards minimum scores, assuming the composition of panel of judges will meet the requirements.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know that entry forms had to be in 2 weeks ago but, given the low number of entries to the flagship competitions, I wonder if the club would be willing to accept late entries.

If so, we should try to talk Alika Golovkina into trying to get a late entry. Not only is she a very good international skater, but (assuming she's not back home at the moment) she's not actually that far away in the greater scheme of things (3 hours by train from Newcastle to Dundee).

Hey, given how she got on at Skate Southern in April, it would definitely add more than a bit of spice to the competition! :agree: :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
2 countries is ok. Therefore, Great Britain+Ireland and Great Britain+Sweden events will get scores counting towards minimum scores, assuming the composition of panel of judges will meet the requirements.

Ah okay that’s good. Thank you. x Let’s hope they let Alika Golovkina compete then so senior ladies can get minimums.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hey, I just noticed that the Entries / Results pages for the club competition were updated last night, and the "Club" column has been removed from all the tables! :eek:

Why?! It was actually very interesting seeing the variety of clubs represented. But now, all we get is the nondescript "GBR" the whole way down the tables (apart from for those few international skaters, of course).

Like, how is somebody like me who is supporting a particular club, but isn't that familiar with the skaters representing said club, supposed to easily keep track of them?! Hey, looking at the tables now, the only Dundonald skater that I can pick out now is the girl with the Thai surname. And that is only because this particular name stuck in my head when I saw it written next to "Dundonald" yesterday.

Meanwhile, the Entries / Results pages for the ISU competition haven't been updated (their tables didn't have the "Club" column anyway). So, Selma is still down as a boy instead of a girl...

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Meanwhile, the Entries / Results pages for the ISU competition haven't been updated (their tables didn't have the "Club" column anyway). So, Selma is still down as a boy instead of a girl...

CaroLiza_fan

Haha, maybe she’ll beat the boys. Cool for Casper to compete with her at his first international junior competiton :laugh: Anyway nice to see Selma compete again after her injury. Good experience before Lake Placid Junior Grand Prix.

It’s impressing that this club in Dundee organizes an international competition along with the club competition with all these age groups. Like you I wish there wore more participants, but as someone said; NRW trophy in Dortmund might be easier to access.

Sweden doesn’t arrange international events :( (I wonder why) except for Europeans, Words, Nordics. Last junior grand prix was 2003(where Miki Ando and Evan Lysachek won). I’m sure the Swedish skaters will have a great time in Scotland. Hopefully none withdraws.

The Tyneside Trophy is not in the ’Summer Competition’ thread. Is it in Other 2019-20 International FS events’ ? I haven’t paid for the competitions threads yet. Have to do that soon....

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haha, maybe she’ll beat the boys. Cool for Casper to compete with her at his first international junior competiton :laugh: Anyway nice to see Selma compete again after her injury. Good experience before Lake Placid Junior Grand Prix.

It is always good to get a run out in an international competition before your first GP. That's why I feel sorry for the Asian Juniors who now don't have the opportunity due to the Taipei event being cancelled.

It’s impressing that this club in Dundee organizes an international competition along with the club competition with all these age groups. Like you I wish there wore more participants, but as someone said; NRW trophy in Dortmund might be easier to access.

It is unfortunate about the clash. But, the domestic competition held at the same rink, the Dundee Open, is always a popular event on the British figure skating calendar. So, it is not really surprising to see so many entries in the younger age groups now that the rink is holding an International event.

Sweden doesn’t arrange international events :( (I wonder why) except for Europeans, Words, Nordics. Last junior grand prix was 2003(where Miki Ando and Evan Lysachek won). I’m sure the Swedish skaters will have a great time in Scotland. Hopefully none withdraws.

My goodness - I hadn't realised that it was quite that long ago since Sweden held anything other than a Major or the Nordics. That is indeed very strange. Money?

The Tyneside Trophy is not in the ’Summer Competition’ thread. Is it in Other 2019-20 International FS events’ ? I haven’t paid for the competitions threads yet. Have to do that soon....

Erm, if you're talking about the Dundee event, you've got the wrong river - it's the Tayside Trophy. (Don't worry, I know autocorrect is a curse!)

But, it would be nice to have a multiple international events in these islands. So, Whitley Bay club, make the "Tyneside Trophy" happen! :biggrin: You've got a famous international skater training with you now, and she deserves to have an international event at her home rink. :agree:

Anyway, there is indeed a thread for the Tayside Trophy in the "Other 2019-20 International FS events" forum. But, all that is in that thread is an OP containing the links that the ISU put up at the start of the season, and copies of some of my posts from this thread (the ones containing the links). Here is the link for those that do have access to the Competitions Forum:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?80684

Oh, and the OP of that thread has now spotted that Selma is down as a boy.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ah okay that’s good. Thank you. x Let’s hope they let Alika Golovkina compete then so senior ladies can get minimums.

I don't know if this has anything to do with us, but I am very pleased to see that Alika is now on the entry list for the ISU Senior Ladies competition!!!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

So, we have a proper competition now! :biggrin:

There are no changes to the line-up in the Club Senior Ladies competition. So, still the same 3 skaters from Scottish clubs (although, I just discovered that one of them, Nikita HEATHFIELD, is actually from the Isle of Wight!)

Moving onto Junior Ladies, there are now two more skaters to the ISU competition - Victoria MCMAHON and Amy MORRIS. Unfortunately, one skater has dropped out of the Club competition - Lucy MERRILEES.

No changes to the Junior or Senior Men's line-ups in either event. Except for Selma being moved to her rightful place amongst the Junior Ladies.

I'm sure she's relieved! ;)

Finally, the "Club" column has returned to the tables in the Entries / Results Page for the Club competition. So, if somebody from the Dundee Club is reading this, thank you! :bow: :thank:

Hope the event goes well.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just saw an interesting post on the ISAI Facebook page that gives answers to quite a few things I have been wondering:

https://www.facebook.com/iceskatingassociationofireland/posts/2810163985679797

So, long time Irish representative in Seniors Ladies who we haven't seen for a couple of seasons, Clara Peters, is now coaching. And so is Edward Alton, half of the only Pairs partnership that I know of to come out of Northern Ireland (his skating partner, Tameron Drake, has now been the reigning Northern Ireland Junior Ladies Champion for over 10 years. It is well past time to get the competition running again!)

A third coach was also mentioned as attending the seminars discussed - Anastasia Kuzmina. Is this the Russian Pairs skater who used to compete with Stanislav Evdokimov? (ISU Bio) I can't find any photos or videos of them, so I can't compare faces to see if they are the same person. And, of course, any Google searches for her name come up with the Biathlete who I still tend to refer to by her maiden name of Anastasiya Shipulina.

Meanwhile, over in Scotland...

Going into day 3 of the Tayside Trophy Club competition, and Junior Ladies is the only competition of the "older" age group levels to have started.

Adare Condon, one of the skaters from the New York club, is leading after the SP. But one of the Scottish girls, Louise Falconer, is only 0.3 behind her. In fact, the entire field is covered by only 10 points, so everything is still up for grabs.

I don't know for sure, but it looks like Magnum Club skater Rowena Mackessack-Leitch has withdrawn from Senior Ladies. Because, although the SP hasn't been held yet, the starting order for the FS is already up, and it only has the 2 Dundee Club skaters listed (Lana Bagen and Nikita Heathfield). The SP starting order had all 3 names.

There is a similar situation in Junior Men, where the Irish skater, Dillon Judge, is in the starting order for the SP but is missing from the starting order for the FS. Although it may have been the case in Senior Ladies that the Dundee Club had a pre-determined FS start order for their own skaters, this is not what has happened in Junior Men. Because although Kyle McLeod is representing Dundee, Elliot Appleby is representing Romford.

I have to admit, I was disappointed to see that the girl that stuck in my head as representing Dundonald withdrew. :disapp: I was actually looking forward to seeing how she got on because I saw a video of her doing a Biellmann spin in combination on her coach's Facebook page, and it looked very good. :agree:

EDIT: Just discovered that there is a livestream for the Tayside Trophy, provided on the "Dundee Ice Sports Live" YouTube channel. I don't know if we are allowed to post links to the streams in this thread, but I have posted them over in the dedicated Competition Thread.

Today's stream starts in about 90 minutes from now.

Please be aware, some of the archived streams have already been blocked due to copyright claims by music companies. :mad:

We must have a spy!!

You do realise that you're the prime suspect, given that we all know that you're Scottish. So, it maybe wasn't a good idea for you to be the person to actually say what we were all thinking. Unless, of course, this is a clever attempt at a double-bluff to throw us off the scent... :p

CaroLiza_fan