Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Aaron embraces mathematical aspect of skating
Team USA skater excited to be at epicenter of technical revolution

Posted 11/17/17
by Jean-Christophe Berlot, special to icenetwork
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/17/262082470

[BTW: I think it was IN who attached the wrong year (2014) to Max's reference to his previous experience at GP France. I think the direct quote from him is simply "last time."]

The USOC twitter account is using Max and his photo to promote today's Olympic Channel coverage of Internationaux de France.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm...so...angry...about....that...score. *collapses into a furious heap*

He never has any wriggle room. Never any grace from the judges. If he skates well they maybe consider giving him a good score. If he makes a mistake they drop him like a rock.

But he's still ahead of Zhou.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max's comments from the IN recap of the GP France FS:

Team USA's Max Aaron was upset with the quad salchow he popped up (he landed a double instead), and the disappointment was written all over his face as he left the ice. Skating to his favorite piece of music -- Andrew Lloyd Webster's The Phantom of the Opera -- Aaron landed a quad toe-double toe combination, a quad toe (which he two-footed), two triple axels (one of which was combined with a double toe), and three more triples. The 2013 U.S. champion registered the sixth highest score of the evening with 158.56 points, and his overall mark of 237.30 placed him seventh.

"I'm really sorry about the Sal, but I really enjoyed having the opportunity to skate this program again," Aaron said. "This program is really my favorite and it brings up the best emotions for me. Now I am going to work on the performance and on the quality of my quads. I'll remember the quality of the second half of this program. I could be relaxed and let the jumps flow. I really enjoyed the performance."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/18/262155290/fernandez-emerges-from-sloppy-pack-to-win-gold (Nov 18)​

Proud of Max for fighting through :ghug: and for delivering the second half of his FS well :yay:.

And for staying in the hunt for a slot on the Olympic team :yes:.

From IN photo galleries of GP France:

ETA:

I loved how happy and excited Max sounded about competing at GP France, per the IN article from Friday. Among other things, he said:

My parents are here, they made the trip from Arizona, and it means a lot to me. I keep smiling at them as I am practicing!

I wonder whether the photos in the tweet below perhaps were capturing Max smiling in the direction of his mother and father??

Even if just my imagination as to whom he is smiling at, I like the photos. #MaxMakingMemories​

ice coverage

Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks for the cute interviews, ice coverage!

All right. I'm here because I think we need to pre-emptively circle the wagons. We need to brace ourselves. We need to hold each other together. Because now that Jason has made the GPF, Max is in a bad, bad position. He would need to skate out of his skin at US Nationals. It will be a hugely uphill climb against the lack of PCS inflation that he always gets, a soft tech panel giving Adam and Jason presents (and Vincent, too), and Adam and Jason getting showered in PCS.

If he is fourth, I don't know that I'll be able to handle it. If he is third and booted for Adam or Jason, I will not be able to handle it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am sorry for dumping my sad moment into the Max thread.

To make it up, go check out Max's instagram stories - I think he is at the Festival of Lights and it looks cold! But he seems to be having a great time!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... go check out Max's instagram stories - I think he is at the Festival of Lights and it looks cold! But he seems to be having a great time!

And Max is in Mirai's pre-parade photo tonight (same one as on Alexa's story, IIRC) -- swipe/scroll to second photo at this link:

It's a great pic of M + M + Alexa and Chris.

All lookin' great in their Olympic/Paralympic gear :cool:.

... All right. I'm here because I think we need to pre-emptively circle the wagons. We need to brace ourselves. We need to hold each other together. Because now that Jason has made the GPF, Max is in a bad, bad position. He would need to skate out of his skin at US Nationals. ....

If he is fourth, I don't know that I'll be able to handle it. If he is third and booted for Adam or Jason, I will not be able to handle it.

Although I am trying to put Nats out of my mind for as long as possible, I agree that Max is in a tough position :ghug:.

Trying to think in positive terms that while others are making the long trip to and from Japan, Max will have a little "extra" training time at home.

Go, Max :yay:.

Meanwhile ... if I am not mistaken, Max will be graduating from college this month :bow:.
Hope Max will post a photo. At least one photo. Please, Max :pray: :).

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I do believe that if Max skates cleanly, and to his potential, it will be hard to deny him a spot. The issue is that he hasn't exactly done that yet, as there is usually a missed jump or messy jump landing here or there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy Hanukkah to Max and the Aaron family. :ghug:

If he is not at home in Arizona (probably not??), I hope that Max and friends at the OTC can get together to light the candles each night.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
SnuggleBat fans, assemble! Today is the big day!

Max is posting on his instagram stories from HIS GRADUATION!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

A picture of the program lists "Max Theodore Aaron" under "Bachelor of Science in Business". I don't know what the asterisks next to his name mean.

Angela Wang is also helpfully posting as well.

Congratulations, Max!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
SnuggleBat fans, assemble! Today is the big day!

Max is posting on his instagram stories from HIS GRADUATION!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

A picture of the program lists "Max Theodore Aaron" under "Bachelor of Science in Business". I don't know what the asterisks next to his name mean.

Angela Wang is also helpfully posting as well.

Congratulations, Max!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

The double asterisks mean that Max graduated magna cum laude (GPA 3.70 - 3.89) :cool:.

(per the notation at the bottom of p. 23 of today's commencement program: https://www.uccs.edu/commencement/s...nline-files/UCCS-Commencement-Fall-2017_0.pdf)​

Congratulations to Max :bow:.

So happy that he shared his excitement via Instagram :dance2:.

And thanks to Angela for her Instagram story from Max's commencement ceremony.
So nice for her to attend :ghug:.
She also tweeted to mark his milestone.

In the group with the big masks of Max's face, I recognized at least one of his OTC friends (Allysa Seely, Paralympic gold medalist in triathlon).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Our SmartyBat!!!!! :cheer:

:agree:

And from yesterday's UCCS news article linked in today's congratulatory tweet from USFS:

World-class figure skater and magna cum laude student Max Aaron will likely be the last person to get in line for the 2 p.m. Dec. 15 UCCS December commencement ceremony.

.... He will practice his quad jumps in a back rink at the Broadmoor World Arena until the last possible minute before taking center stage with 500 other new graduates and families celebrating success.

There’s a chance he might still be wearing skates as he crosses the stage to receive his diploma.

“It’s a little ironic that UCCS graduation is at the World Arena,” Aaron said recently. “Because when I’m not on campus, I’m on the ice there. Campus and the World Arena are where I live.”

Aaron completed his bachelor’s degree in three years while most students take four or more years to complete a degree. He combined studies in finance with at least five hours daily on the ice with the goal of representing the U.S. in the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang.

.... Aaron combined a heavy course load with five to six hours of daily training. He took early morning, evening and summer classes, approaching each with the attitude “that a B was not an option.” He worked with academic advisers to help them understand the needs of top athletes who are UCCS students. ...

ETA:

Great photo of SmartyBat in cap and gown, holding his diploma :yay::

The silver cord represents the achievement of magna cum laude, per p. 12 of the commencement program.

And sapphire is the bachelor tassel color for Business.

(During the ceremony, a class leader said students who contributed to the class gift are wearing blue cords.)​

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Max. Can't even imagine dealing with skating and college all at the same time! Pretty amazing!
:points: :party: :bow:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just starting to watch the full-length commencement video. (I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff :luv17:.)

First glimpse (AFAIK) of Max marching into the arena comes at approx. the 15:00 mark.

(Capturing the making of his Instagram story for us :). Thank you, Max :thank:.)

I will try to come back to this post and add other time-stamps of SmartyBat :popcorn:.

Mazel Tov to Max and the Aaron family :ghug:.

ETA:

More of Max in the procession starts at approx. 16:18. (SmileyBat shows up at screen right in the line moving to the left.)

At approx. 16:40, very nice moment of Max reaching out to shake hands with someone (faculty member?).​

ETA:

OK, I have skipped ahead to the moment of Max receiving his diploma on stage :hap85:.

At approx. 1:32:00, Max appears at screen left stepping up toward the stage.

Keep watching thru 1:32:35 to hear "Maxwell Theodore Aaron, magna cum laude" announced ... and to see his happy fist-pump :yay: as he leaves the stage with diploma in hand.​

ETA:

OMG ... congratulations are in order also for Molly Aaron :bow:, who this week received her college degree as well :cool:. (From Arizona State University.)

Many thanks to Maddie for proudly sharing the news and photos of both sibs.

Great week of blessings for the Aarons.​

ETA:

Max is absolutely beaming :dance2: in this terrific graduation photo posted by Erik Schulz, who wrote:

This stud represented magna, rocked a long, and inspires EVERYONE. ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcv-U37BNB3/?taken-by=peacelovefuzzy (Dec 15)​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
OMG I'm dying from all the Max graduation cuteness.

"rocked a long"? Combined with that remark in the UCCS article, I wonder if Erik means that Max did a clean long before graduation started?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On a completely different note:

Seems that Max appears/speaks in an anti-doping video tutorial -- seen in a new Instagram story from @adaripp.

(The content of the tutorial snippet does not make much sense to me, but I blame the producer, not Max.)

I will admit that Max's wardrobe distracted me :hopelessness: -- a look I don't think we have seen from him before? #blackmotorcyclejacket #BikerBat ;)

OMG I'm dying from all the Max graduation cuteness.

"rocked a long"? Combined with that remark in the UCCS article, I wonder if Erik means that Max did a clean long before graduation started?

:agree: Erik's comment had me wondering the same.

ETA:

The "class photo" at Broadmoor Skating Club's nationals send-off banquet (posted by Nica Digerness):

Peggy Fleming spoke at the banquet, per Tom Z.

ETA (on Dec 18):

The lovely Brynne McIsaac posted a banquet photo of Tom and Becky with their BSC skaters.

Swipe/scroll to see Brynne's version of the big group photo of all BSC Nats-bound skaters (Team TZ is quite outnumbered by the Sappensquad).​

ETA (on Dec 19):

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
On a completely different note:

Seems that Max appears/speaks in an anti-doping video tutorial -- seen in a new Instagram story from @adaripp.

(The content of the tutorial snippet does not make much sense to me, but I blame the producer, not Max.)

I will admit that Max's wardrobe distracted me :hopelessness: -- a look I don't think we have seen from him before? #blackmotorcyclejacket #BikerBat ;)

Adam's commentary nearly killed me! I approve of BikerBat!

The "class photo" at Broadmoor Skating Club's nationals send-off banquet (posted by Nica Digerness):

Peggy Fleming spoke at the banquet, per Tom Z​

Socks. Where are your socks, SocklessBat?​