Max Aaron | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So...there's...still...some...hope?

My heart can't take this.

Understand. :ghug:

If it turns out to be Max's farewell, we can be happy that he is getting so much love :luv17: today.

A great example that is making me even more emotional :agree: :sad4: :agree: -- from Adam's wonderful mother, who always supports all U.S. men :yay::

Kelly Rippon
@AuthenticChange
@MaxTAaron you saved US men’s figure skating- what an impressive way to wrap up the season. #NationalChamp
6:12 AM - 24 Mar 2018
https://twitter.com/AuthenticChange/status/977533690665492487

ETA:
Credit to miyan5605 for my updated avatar:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BefzZgHhFdd/?taken-by=miyan5605 (Jan 28, after 2018 Four Continents)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Belatedly just saw @isufigureskating Instagram story from five hours ago -- right after Max got off the ice from his FS.

BigBrotherBat is such a sweetheart. :luv17:
Said he had a great time out there, but mostly talked about supporting USA and looking forward to cheering for his boys going for the podium. :ghug:

Max was awesome! Hope we'll see him skate again.

Congrats to Max...he really saved the day today!

Well... Max just showed everyone why THREE SPOTS MATTER. Good for him. And very very like him.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :yay: :yay: :yay:

ETA:

Appreciation and respect for the sportsmanship of Vincent :bow:, who in his long post-FS Instagram included his congratulations for Max and Nathan:

... And who can forget, a massive congrats to my teammates Nathan on his incredible achievement and Max on his wonderful skate! ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgtdj4blG5u/?taken-by=govincentzhou (Mar 24)​

ETA:

Slightly different version of Max's thoughts today, as tweeted by @pandaatlarge:

Aaron: I am happy with the way I skated today. I got the call one and a half weeks ago, I think I've done the best I could. I've been also taking care of the boys, supporting them. (You're like a big brother to them?) Brother, dad... That's what they're saying."
3:22 AM - 24 Mar 2018

This might be my last competition. Not positive yet, but there is this new breeze, and I will enjoy watching and supporting the boys.
3:24 AM - 24 Mar 2018

Hat tip to Zaccardi's Olympic Talk blog.​

ETA:

USFS included some nice Max-related tweets in its Twitter moment for Worlds:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/976479983341248512

georgia

On the Ice
To a superior human being ,and a great athlete, here in his little corner I came to say congrats!
Your great effort secured three men for next year!
To your future!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally watched Max's fs and what a guy. He held it together after the first two jumping passes didn't work out for him. Not bad on a week's training!

Hope we see him skating again, but if not, a good way to end the season here and at 4ccs.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:bow: :bow: :bow: Thank you Max! Thank you Max! Talk about answering the call and rising to the occasion. Very happy to see him persevere, even when his program didn't start out quite the way he wanted. His timing seemed a little off, but in the end, he helped us keep our spots. :hb: :thank:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was looking at Andrew Dodds' instagram story this morning, sightseeing around Milan, when lo and behold...SURPRISE SNUGGLEBAT APPEARED! They were in front of some sort of castle, I think.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was looking at Andrew Dodds' instagram story this morning, sightseeing around Milan, when lo and behold...SURPRISE SNUGGLEBAT APPEARED! They were in front of some sort of castle, I think.

I'm sure I was at that same Castle Friday, but I'm so brain dead right now I can't think of what the name of it was!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

In front of the Duomo, I think? (Replica of which was the backdrop for the Kiss and Cry.)

Is it Chantelle who is with Max and Andrew?

Max (a tiny version of him) also is visible (just barely) at the bottom of the second photo before that one. The earlier one seems to be in an upscale shopping area (in historic buildings) that I have seen other skaters visiting.

Thanks very much for posting.
Glad that Max had a chance to do some fun stuff away from the arena.

Hope someone gives us a glimpse of him at the banquet. :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Instagram story of @kirsten_mt has a shot of SnuggleBat sharing a smile/laugh with her at the closing banquet in Milan. :)

ETA:

For posterity, belatedly adding USFS links for quotes from Max:

Post-SP:

Max Aaron earned 79.78 points and is in 15th place.

“It was a tough program, but given the time that I had to train, I did my best,” Aaron said. “I have no regrets. I’m really here to help support [Nathan and Vincent]. If something were to go wrong, hopefully I could sneak in and help get the United States three spots, but I’m pretty confident that those boys are going to lay it down and hopefully bring home two World medals. I’m like the support dog. I just want to help them out as much as I can and have the best skate I can.”

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=91405&type=media (Mar 22)​

Post-FS:

The United States also earned three sports [sic] for next year’s World Championships with an 11th place finish by Max Aaron.

Aaron earned 161.71 points on Saturday for 241.49 overall and an 11th place finish.

“I’m just so happy to be here and help support Team USA,” Aaron said. “I’m happy I got to do my job to the best of my ability and just help support [Nathan and Vincent].”

www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=91415&type=media (Mar 24)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Phil Hersh's words of appreciation for Max are making me cry happy/emotional tears today. :sad4: :ghug: :sad4:

Some random observations on the competitive figure skating season that ended last week at the World Championships in Milan: ...

8. And, to end, big props to Max Aaron.

Aaron, 26, the 2013 U.S. champion, had been home in Arizona when U.S. Figure Skating called in early March to ask him to go to worlds because the first two alternates, Jason Brown and Ross Miner, had declined the spot opened by Rippon’s withdrawal. Aaron agreed, even though he had not been training for nearly a month and was getting ready to start a new job.

He did a couple weeks of intense work in Colorado Springs and flew to Milan.

....... Aaron took 10th in what likely was the last free skate of his career, moving up to 11th overall and, thereby, saving the third spot for Team USA.

It undoubtedly isn’t Aaron’s career highlight, but he can take great pride in having used his fourth world meet appearance to help enhance the near future of U.S. men’s skating on the world scene. That is a fitting valedictory for one of the nicest and most accommodating people in the sport.

http://www.globetrottingbyphilipher...erformances-highlighted-figure-skating-season (Mar 27)​

Hersh's article today includes a big photo of Max (from his Les Mis SP).
Caption: "Ave atque vale to Max Aaron, who stepped in and helped Team USA keep a third men's spot for the 2019 World Championships in what likely was the final competition of his career."

ETA:
The reference to "home" in Max's Instagram story tonight would seem to be Scottsdale, I think? With lotsa palm trees?​

livetoskate

On the Ice
How nice to hear Max's humble words about being the "support dog" for Nathan and Vincent at worlds. Even typically cranky Phil Hersh had praise for him. If Max was not training for a month, then his performances are really incredible. I wish him the best in his new career!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*mumble* I'm not crying, the ninjas are cutting onions again.