Mens FS Review | Golden Skate

Mens FS Review

EWalker

On the Ice
I will only do the final 2 flights tonight, and then I will post the others on Sunday. Sorry... time is slipping away!

Yasuharu Nanri (JPN) "Lorelei"
Skating in an all-white military uniform with whiteboot covers. 3A-3T—3F—2R—Flying sit—1L—3A—3L-2t—Flying sit—straightline steps—3S—scratchy combination spin—circular steps—2A—flying combination spin to close. Tech: 60.26; Comp: 55.16; Total: 115.42/172.82.

Jialiang Wu (CHN) “2nd Paino Concerto” by Rachmaninov
3F-3T—3A—3T—3L (Nice start!)—flying sit—circular steps—back camel—3A—2S—sit spin—1L—straightline steps and he begins to struggle with the altitude—3F; step out of a 3R—change foot combination spin to close. Tech: 53.16; Comp: 50.72; Total: 103.88/164.64.

Michael Weiss (USA) “Symphony #6 and Moonlight Sonata”
2A—2A-3T—sit spin—1A (I am thinking “What is he doing?”)—3R with tight landing—some sort of spin that I couldn’t see because someone walked in front of me—3F-3T—sit spin—2S—circular steps—3L—straightline steps—2A—combination spin to close. This was a pitiful performance, and I question Mike’s commitment to finish his skating season. I hope that if he is called up for Worlds, he declines. Tech: 50.03; Comp: 62.30; Total: 112.33/171.22.

Nicholas Young (CAN) “Walkin Boss” and “Blues for Mothers”
What is it with Canadian men and blues music? 2A—2A-3T—sit spin—1A—3R—some sort of spin that the same person blocked because they were returning to their seat—3F-3T—sit spin—2S—circular steps—3L—straightline steps—2A—combination spin to close. Nick has huge jumps when his timing is on. Can he skate pairs with a tall guy? He is sooooo tiny! Tech: 50.86; Comp: 58.86; Ded: -1.00; Total: 108.72/162.30.

Xiaodong Ma (CHN) “Hidalgo”
In brown with the cursed skating color of orange accents. 4T-3T—3A-3T—fall on 1L—flying sit spin—flying camel—step out on 2L—two footed and oddly landed 2R—3A—2A-2T—sit spin—very slow altitude-impacted straightline steps—3S—circular steps—combination spin to close. Tech: 60.95; Comp: 52.30; Ded: -1.00; Total: 112.25/172.11.

Sean Carlow (AUS) “Pink Panther”
3R (step out)—3T—2A—flying sit—3T-2T—3S—camel—very entertaining comically interpreted circular steps—telegraphed 2S—1F—combination spin—straightline steps; again, very fun—1A—sit spin to close. Aussie/Kiwi/Mexican crowd went nuts for him! Very nice skate for him, and so much improved from when I saw him at 2003 Worlds. Tech: 35.14; Comp: 52.84!!!; Total: 87.98/136.68.

Scott Smith (USA) “The Mask of Zorro”
3A-3T—2S (supposed to be a quad)—3A—3R—combination spin—2L—3F-2T-2T—spread eagle into combination spin—sit spin—straightline steps—3S-2T—circular steps—flying sit to close. Scott has improved so much on the component side of his skating, but I think that he still doesn’t have body awareness. He should take some ballet and I think some latin dance to give him better line and some snap to his choreography. Tech: 64.29; Comp: 59.12; Total: 123.41/185.25.

Nobunari Oda (JPN) “Zatoichi”
Fall on 1A into the boards and hit his head to start. Takes a while to get up, seems dazed, and then starts skating again after 10 seconds.—3L-3T-2T (Wow!)—flying sit—3S-2T—then stops the program again, seems very disoriented and skates in circles for another 15 seconds.—3A—3F—sit spin—3R—straightline footwork—2A—1L—circular steps—combination spin to close. Okay, so I give him credit for skating the entire program, but his component scores were WAY too high. There is no reason for him to be 5 points higher than Scott Smith. He should have had scores in the 4s for what he did. Tech: 60.84; Comp: 64.56; Ded: -1.00; Total: 124.40/201.69.

Kensuke Nakaniwa (JPN) “The Lord of the Rings”
3T (planned quad)—3S—3L-2T—combination spin—spread eagle followed by very interesting choreography into 3F-2T—3L—3R—flying combination spin—sit spin—Fall out of a 2F—circular steps that are very entertaining—2A with a 3turn on the ice—straightline steps—flying sit to close, and ended after the music. Very interesting program, and a very attractive skater overall. Kensuke skates like a European. Tech: 52.70; Comp: 61.20; Total: 113.90/177.19.

Marc-Andre Craig (CAN) “I Will Not Wait For You” by M. Legrand
Step out of a 3A to start—3R with wide-swinging free leg—3F-3T—combination spin—3L—straightline steps—Besty squat to sit spin—2A-2T—this choreography is really boring and kind of arrogant at the same time—2S—circular steps with no personality—3F-3T sequence, though I think that he put one too many hops between the jumps. Tech: 57.28; Comp: 63.22; Total: 120.50/186.12.

Christopher Mabee (CAN) “Pearl Harbor”
3R—3A—3L-3T(step out)—sit spin—flying sit—2A-3T—3F—3L hands down (enough to be considered a fall)—straightline steps—3S with hand down—nifty choregraphy into a 2A from a standstill—combination spin—circular steps—flying combination spin. Very nice program, and I am glad that he won this portion. I think that he should have been scored about 15 points better than Oda, whichwould have given him the win. Chris has a huge future in skating… perfect for COP! He gave his flowers to the little girls asking for autographs after the awards. Tech: 65.84; Comp: 65.72; Total: 130.56/198.69.

Matt Savoie (USA) “The Mission”
1R—3A-2T—3F-2T-1R—At this point Matt looks like he gave up—circular steps that were very uninspired—2S—combination spin—sit spin—2A—straightline steps—slying sit—1L—2L—combination spin—2T to close. This was the worst I have ever seen Matt skate. His scores were too high, I think. Tech: 46.09; Comp: 68.42; Total: 114.51/190.15.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh dear... poor Mike... :(

but considering that Matt had a similar skate I can't say that he's so horrible that heaven forbid we send him to Worlds if needbe

thanks for the reporting... sorry if I seem harsh, I just have a major soft spot for Mike after nationals :)

CDMM1991

Medalist
Looks like it wasn't the best night for the mens. A bit of a splat/popfest. Oh well, happy to see Canadians on the podium in at least three events!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks again EWalker...

Wow what a ??? Men's FS from the sound of things. I hope Oda is OK after it sounds like he hit his head, but the scores are ???? since it sounds like he wasn't able to actually perform much of his program other than sneaking in some elements.

I was initially happy to see Matt's PCS scores on the ISU score board. It was obvious from the TES side that he had technical difficulties, but after reading your PBP it sounds like he gave up on his program...so now I'm wondering about that too.

I so want to believe in the judges but this sounds very strange. Although it doesn't sound like there were many performances to write home about, so maybe all is OK in the end. I'd love to hear your opinion of the judging in general for this event once you get settled in back home from your travels.

DG

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Yay, Mabee, who gave one of the top two LP performances at Canadian Nationals!!!!!
:clap:

Waaaaah for Savoie.

rain

Record Breaker
Wow, sounds like Mabee shouldn't have just won the free skate, but won it by enough to win the whole thing, given what happened to Oda. I'm a little surprised the referee didn't call a halt to have a doctor look at him if he hit his head and looked so dizzy and disoriented - could have been serious.

Oh well, sounds like a splatfest overall.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Oda was next on the ice, and that's when the weirdness really kicked in. On his opening triple Axel, he caught an edge heading up and fell hard to the ice, sliding and crashing into the boards. He got up slowly and appeared disoriented as he caught up with his program. After shocking the audience by then reeling off a triple Lutz-triple toe-double loop combination, he stopped his program again, skating around aimlessly for about 15 seconds.

But he didn't quit. He managed to make it through his program with astonishing prowess, landing another triple Axel and three other triples.
How can someone win with a skate like that?:scratch:

Shades of Johnny Weir at Nationals 2003. It's not easy to continue and Oda deserves a medal for continuing.

Joe

Oda might seriously have been disoriented in the true medical sense. He might have suffered a concussion and really not known what he was doing for a few seconds.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Oda might seriously have been disoriented in the true medical sense. He might have suffered a concussion and really not known what he was doing for a few seconds.

MM, that's the impression I got too. It's amazing that he managed to do what he did after the bad fall. From the sound of things, it's amazing that he was able to keep it together and finish the program.

I've read differing opinions on the quality of the skate. I suspect by now it's up on FSvids, and I'm curious enough to go look for it!! I'll let you know if it's there for the downloading.

Mean time, I hope Oda is OK.

DG

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
It's unlikely he had a concussion. He did not hit the ice or the boards with his head; he slid in on his leg and 'blocked" the blow against the boards with his arm. He had two breaks in the program. The first was shorter, right after the fall. The second came a bit later, and, again, he was favoring one leg.

According to PCS guidelines, most of PCS is supposed to be computed on a percentage basis (for grade X, Y% must have difficult footwork, speed, etc.) Considering that he lost about 1/6 of his program, it is difficult to see how his PCS were within written guidelines, because to gain these scores, he would have had to have 8-9's in each PCS for the portion he skated, factored by very low PCS for the portion he missed.

EWalker

On the Ice
Oda was on the plane from Colorado Springs with me this morning... he was fine. By rules, he should have had a -1.00 deduction for the fall on the axel. Because there was a delay in him recovering from the fall, he should have had another -1.00. In addition, because he had two major breaks in the program, he should have received -2.00 in addition to his other deductions. This would have fairly given Chris Mabee the win. Chris wasn't upset, however, instead choosing to be ecstatic about his silver medal win. I was a bit put out about Oda's composition scores... they were way too high for what he did. I was pleased that several judges were upset just the same.

Saundy

On the Ice
EWalker said:
Chris wasn't upset, however, instead choosing to be ecstatic about his silver medal win.

This is what I really admire about Chris Mabee. From what I've seen from him, he's greatful for what he gets and never bellyaches over what should/could have been.

I think he shows true sportsmanship. Hopefully he'll stay like this from years to come.

Another thanks, EWalker.

Yeesh! Watching this I may feel as if I'm rubber-necking, you know, when you can't help but turn your head and watch the wreckage of crash on the road.

I wonder what the rule is for the referee regarding stopping the program for medical examination. Is the decision even up to the referee or is it the event physician's call? Or does the skater have to go to the referee and request medical attention as long as he's on his feet? I'll have to see it, but with closed head and/or neck injuries that may be affecting the spinal cord being so potentially damaging for life, I'd probably want to err on the side of safety, especially after Oda's 15 seconds of "skating around aimlessly." But as I said, I haven't yet seen it.

I'm bummed about Matt Savoie's performance...EDIT: I goofed big time about Matt's finish at 4CC and his going to the Olympics from here on; Andy White and EWalker were nice enough to be nice when they let the increasingly Idiotic Me know...and finish. He missed the Olympic team [wrong!] and a win here, which he is quite capable of, would have been a nice consolation prize [doesn't need one]. Matt is an understated skater to begin with, but oh so silky smooth both from the blades down and the blades up. Plus he can do the really big elements and make them look easy--but obviously he didn't do that here [the last two sentences are still clean]. Also, I don't mean to diss, but Evan Lysacek just does nothing for me. He doesn't seem to be skating with true bravado but rather he seems to use force to hide weaknesses in his technique. JMO, of course, and Lysacek did get the job done at Nationals [in that he won the silver and beat Matt] and anyway I'm off topic.

[Edited out useless incorrect info.]

OTOH, I do love Oda and despite what sounds like a fall far too close for comfort in terms of possible permanent disability, good for him for winning, and good for Mabee for keeping the quaint practice of good sportsmanship alive. Leave it to a Canadian.:)

From the sounds of it, I may need to take a Dramamine before watching the men's FS. Being there live must have been like I said--Yeesh!

Rgirl

Last edited:

ATW27

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
I'm bummed about Matt Savoie's performance and finish. He missed the Olympic team and a win here, which he is quite capable of,....

Well, maybe one of our men's Olympic team will skip Worlds and Matt will have one last chance before he retires to skate the kind of performances I've seen him do,... Rgirl

Um... Matt is on the Olympic and World teams. He qualfied for both at Nationals. Unless their was a change that I hadn't heard about.

Andy White

EWalker

On the Ice
Matt is in TOrino preparing for competition. He is also scheduled for Worlds. FWIW, he has been injured this season (ankle), but should be good for the Olys.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:
Deserves a medal for continuing or for skating well?

I agree. Even Barb Underhill was surprised they gave him full marks for his program. As she put it: "he did not skate for a good 30 seconds, just wandered around the ice."

I still can't believe he won with that skate. It should have been Chris Mabee. I wonder is the new judging system any better?