1993 World Figure Skating Championships | Golden Skate

1993 World Figure Skating Championships

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just found these...nearly NBC & CBC's entire coverage (now including the gala) of 1993 Worlds in Prague, CZE. Relive the event from the Canadian perspective.

This was an amazing championship for Canada with Kurt Browning & Elvis Stojko, Isabelle Brassuer & Lloyd Eisler doing very well (no spoilers see). There were new pairings of Mandy Wotzel & Ingo Steuer and Jenni Meno & Todd Sand. There was the original Blues for Klook by Usova & Zhulin, and the original Casablanca by healthy Kurt Browning, the emergence of Oksana Baiul with one of my favorite short programs ever and the highs and lows for Nancy Kerrigan that give new insight to how much she overcame for 1994 Olympics. Also the Bourne & Kraatz babies and Roca & Sur.

Note these events are in competition order.

1993 World Figure Skating Championships Compulsory Dance
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Pairs Short
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Men Short
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Pairs Free Part 1
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Pairs Free Part 2
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Original Dance
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Men Free
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Ladies Short
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Free Dance
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Ladies Free Part 1
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Ladies Free Part 2
1993 World Figure Skating Championships Gala

Thanks to a new poster, please enjoy!

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canadian fans - do you miss Chris Cuthbert?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do remember that we didn't get to see Brasseur & Eisler's full free skate because the coverage of those Worlds were during what was then called the "Storm of the Century" (I don't remember exactly how many inches of snow we got in Philly, PA, but it was 20 +. This storm was superseded by the one in January 1996, when we got about 30 inches of snow. Our local news stations basically pre-empted the Worlds' coverage (at best what we got to see was on a very small screen).

Yes, those Worlds ended up being a disaster for Nancy (& the US ladies), but wow, did she come back fiercely @ the 1994 Winter Olympics! :hap10: :cheer:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do remember that we didn't get to see Brasseur & Eisler's full free skate because the coverage of those Worlds were during what was then called the "Storm of the Century" (I don't remember exactly how many inches of snow we got in Philly, PA, but it was 20 +. This storm was superseded by the one in January 1996, when we got about 30 inches of snow. Our local news stations basically pre-empted the Worlds' coverage (at best what we got to see was on a very small screen).

Yes, those Worlds ended up being a disaster for Nancy (& the US ladies), but wow, did she come back fiercely @ the 1994 Winter Olympics! :hap10: :cheer:

So once you saw B & E, what did you think? Also, I really liked Chris Cuthbert. He always seemed to enjoy himself and express genuine interest in the skaters and the event.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a treat to see watch this! Loved the interview before the program as well. I can't comment on the technical elements, but what an impressive performance! I do remember that Isabelle had lost her father a few months prior to Worlds, so this victory was all the more poignant for her. You could see that Lloyd was certainly able to show his "soft" side as well as his/their power together. :luv17:

How lovely to see Jenni Meno & Todd Sand skate so impressively as a relatively new team back then. :hap10:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How lovely to see Jenni Meno & Todd Sand skate so impressively as a relatively new team back then. :hap10:

I thought they such a classy pair. They had a distinctive point of view that carried into all of their programs.

I thought Renee Roca and Gorsha Sur were an underrated dance team.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I've just watched men SP, it's not at all, all men, just Canadians and a couple of others, and a lot of talking. What I realized was how bad were the spins, especially sit spin, but not only.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've just watched men SP, it's not at all, all men, just Canadians and a couple of others, and a lot of talking. What I realized was how bad were the spins, especially sit spin, but not only.

It is all that I have been able to find. I watched all of the US & CAN coverage live so unless there is Euro coverage someone else has, this is it.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought they such a classy pair. They had a distinctive point of view that carried into all of their programs.

I thought Renee Roca and Gorsha Sur were an underrated dance team.

Jenni & Todd have that clsisic, finished look. I thought Renee & Gorsha were also underrated - what a dance field though. Among those not shown by CBC were Wynne & Witherby, Drobiazko & Vanagas, Romanova & Yaroshenko, Stergiadu & Razgulayevs (coach of Gilles & Poirier) and Navka & Gezalian. The dance event is the best documented of all the events. If you are interested nearly the entire free dance can be found here from Eurosport:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUD7XGoCpbTUyzwvjebN78TIqJID0CfOL

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yeah, I don't think Nancy got enough credit for her comeback. I did like Oksana an awful lot here, especially that short program. The Barb & Paul commentary was also quite interesting.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Thank you. This is the championship that started my sister getting so frustrated with me for my teenage years because starting with this championship I monopolised the VCR to record all skating that I could find on TV (now all sadly lost)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
It is all that I have been able to find. I watched all of the US & CAN coverage live so unless there is Euro coverage someone else has, this is it.
Oh thank you for all the links. It's not at all your fault. I am appalled that CBC had this type of transmission for Canadians. I lived in Europe at that time and I remember using British Eurosport which was great in those times. They showed practically all FS competitions, from start to finish, with very competent comments.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Barb and Paul kept saying that Oksana Baiul was sixteen. She was fifteen at these Worlds.

1111bm

Final Flight
It's so weird to think that I must've watched this with my family, but I don't remember any of it. Generally I have no recollection of what figure skating felt or looked like in the 80s and 90s (but I also had a different 'eye' and taste back then, compared to now, so that also plays a part)