2008-2009 Programs by Discipline | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2008-2009 Programs by Discipline

feraina

Record Breaker
Watched Alissa Czisny's La Bayadere; lovely music. I think it could add some spark to Zhang's skating. It's beautiful music.
And I course LOVE Sleeping Beauty. Wonderful choice! She's got some really good cuts to choose from. I think it'll be a good program for her.

I also just went back and watched Alissa's SC gold-winning LP using La Bayadere. That's probably her life-time best skate ever, isn't it? She looked so shocked and so happy afterwards. :)

I think it's lovely music, and it probably suits Caroline Z's personality, but I'm a little worried that it's not the kind of music that would encourage her to skate faster, which is what she sorely needs to strengthen her PCS scoring. *sigh*

BUT, it is very lovely music. I just saw this wonderful little solo ballet piece done to Act I of La Bayadere:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqEgR9810k
The music is hauntingly beautiful, and the dancing is stunning!

Anyone else finds that last part is perfect for a spin? :p

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Ok. So its ok to create a system or style of dress specifically for young women to wear while perfoming athletic routines and then deducting points from them if a judge sees more of the thing the uniform was designed to highlight... hmmm... what is the message? its ok to have your bottom showing but only if you don't get a wedgie in the process? So bizarre the things people do to their children...

Also, I'm sorry but I can't ignore the fact that few have discussed the merits of Carolina's skating... and then we wonder why young people today are so sexualized and blame Hannah Montana.... the hypocricy is a bit much...

:disapp:
In gymnastics the leos are cut very conservatively. If you are hanging out you need a larger size. The leos are designed so the judges can see body position on the girls and for comfort. Nothing inappropriate about that concept. Also, just for the record, my daughter used butt glue when she did gymnastics. Works very well!!!

The costume should enhance the skaters body and music. I think ill fitting costumes are a distraction. Her skating is very good, but an ugly dress or a ill fitting one can detract from the overall "package"

Shocking Pink and Shocking Blue. Not sure if they are lost in space or are space people. Doesn't matter. I couldn't hear any of the music but I can remember an old TV show about a family lost in space. Is that it?

They're a good team. They'll do well.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well i got to hand it to them for trying something different. I have to say i hate the costumes, but i wasn't a fan of last year's SP costumes either, but they grew on me.

I also liked Aliona's hair longer, but she is beautiful either way.

I think ladies should wear pants. The ISU rules say that costumes must be "appropriate to an athletic competition." Skating dresses are not, IMHO.

The rule should be: all ladies must wear pants and must look as good in them as this. :yes:

Last edited:

KayMil01

On the Ice
Look here: http://www.paarlauf-fanclub.de/resources/AR_Ch_mitC_hp.jpg

Aliona's "bottom" part of her costume is almost like the 'boyshort' style...I still say that would eliminate the wedgie issue if those type bottoms were used on figure skating dresses. Aliona won't have that problem haha.

Then again it could look bad under a skirt...I guess I'd have to see a dress with the boyshort bottom to see lmao.

fiercemao

Match Penalty
Shocking Pink and Shocking Blue. Not sure if they are lost in space or are space people. Doesn't matter. I couldn't hear any of the music but I can remember an old TV show about a family lost in space. Is that it?

They're a good team. They'll do well.

Their SP music is said to be 'lost in space'. I'm not familiar with this piece, can somebody elaborate?

Their SP music is said to be 'lost in space'. I'm not familiar with this piece, can somebody elaborate?
There was an old cornball TV show years ago called "Lost in Space," which featured a lost space family, a villainous scientist, and an all-time silly robot. Much later (1998) there was a movie based of this story. I assume the music is from the soundtrack of the movie.

If so...:rock::rock::rock:

This is totally awesome!

Go here

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Space-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000005ZD6

click on "Listen to samples" and then on #4, "Bang On" by the Propellerheads. :chorus::chorus::chorus:

victoria90

On the Ice
Look here: http://www.paarlauf-fanclub.de/resources/AR_Ch_mitC_hp.jpg

Aliona's "bottom" part of her costume is almost like the 'boyshort' style...I still say that would eliminate the wedgie issue if those type bottoms were used on figure skating dresses. Aliona won't have that problem haha.

Then again it could look bad under a skirt...I guess I'd have to see a dress with the boyshort bottom to see lmao.

Actually I wear a skirt and under it a "boyshort" lol, it doesn't look bad at all and to be honest it's awesome cause you just know you're never gonna have that problem hahaha.

KayMil01

On the Ice
^Really? well that's awesome...if I were a skater I'd be paranoid of "the wedgie" lol...actually back when I was 7-9 yrs. old I was in gymnastics. I wore those leotards and even then I felt uncomfortable and I remember wearing spandex-type shorts over the top LOL...oh well, my gymnastics 'career' ended only after 3 years...it got to the poiint where there wasn't enough people enrolled in classes, and so they cancelled them...and so I quit. Oh well, guess I never had to deal with wedgie issues lol.

victoria90

On the Ice
lol I was paranoid of the wedgie with the normal skirts (also they're too short! I felt like I was almost naked! lol), that's why I started to wear the boyshort hahaha.
Really? I was also in gymnastics when I was like 9 and happened the same thing, but I wasn't too sad about it, I was really bad at gymnastics lmao.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to golden skate, victoria90! Congratulations on your first and second posts. We hope there will be many more.

victoria90

On the Ice
Welcome to golden skate, victoria90! Congratulations on your first and second posts. We hope there will be many more.

Thanks! I hope that too :biggrin:

Btw, I'm really looking forward to the see the new programs. So far not even one skater has really disappointed me with his/her/their choice of music. Well, I never get disappointed untill I see the new program, sometimes we think it's not their style but they end up showing us a great program with a great coreo that actually fit them. For example, Carolina may have chosen Swan Lake (which personally I don't like it too much)but ok, maybe we are not used to see her skate to a ballet kind of music, but what do we know? I like the way Caro skates and I think she can do a great program with the right coreo. I remember that during the gala of 2007 euros when she was skating to "Solamente per Carolina" the english commentator said: "it's the closest thing I've ever seen to a ballerina on ice", so if she gave that impression that day, she can give it again, we have to wait and see to say something.
About Mao's new SP I just have to say I love Clair de Lune and I'm dying to see what she's gonna do with it. I'm also dying to see Yu-Na's new SP and LP, I bet they are going to be great. I also want to see what Sinead and John will do with Ruled by Secrecy, it's a strange but great choice in my opinion, I like it, it's different. I'd also like to see Rachael Flatt's new LP, I love Debussy and if she can get it right I think it'd be a great LP. I'm looking forward to see Kimmie's new programs, I hope she has her jumps back. And I'd love to see Emily back, but well, I guess it's not easy being in Harvard and keep skating as she used to. And I'm really curious with the new SP of S&S, I want to see it, although it seems something like the Kerrs did last season, and also want to see their new LP.
I just can't wait for the season to start! lol.

Audrey19

On the Ice
Thanks! I hope that too :biggrin:

Btw, I'm really looking forward to the see the new programs. So far not even one skater has really disappointed me with his/her/their choice of music. Well, I never get disappointed untill I see the new program, sometimes we think it's not their style but they end up showing us a great program with a great coreo that actually fit them. For example, Carolina may have chosen Swan Lake (which personally I don't like it too much)but ok, maybe we are not used to see her skate to a ballet kind of music, but what do we know? I like the way Caro skates and I think she can do a great program with the right coreo. I remember that during the gala of 2007 euros when she was skating to "Solamente per Carolina" the english commentator said: "it's the closest thing I've ever seen to a ballerina on ice", so if she gave that impression that day, she can give it again, we have to wait and see to say something.

I so agree with you about Carolina and swan lake. I can't quiet imagine her skating to it, but she will surely come up with an interesting program.
And I'm sooo excited about Aljona & Robin's both SP and LP. Those costumes are awesome! And I love her new haircut!

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Well, I never get disappointed untill I see the new program, sometimes we think it's not their style but they end up showing us a great program with a great coreo that actually fit them. For example, Carolina may have chosen Swan Lake (which personally I don't like it too much)but ok, maybe we are not used to see her skate to a ballet kind of music, but what do we know? I like the way Caro skates and I think she can do a great program with the right coreo. I remember that during the gala of 2007 euros when she was skating to "Solamente per Carolina" the english commentator said: "it's the closest thing I've ever seen to a ballerina on ice", so if she gave that impression that day, she can give it again, we have to wait and see to say something.

I can remember that clearly!
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=gWt22LMFHvU
Wonderful exhibition, even if I prefer the Silvester Gala version
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=ppfXKhudzdk