2013-2014 Programs by Discipline | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2013-2014 Programs by Discipline

mskater93

Record Breaker
I also don't understand all the outrage about skaters reusing old programs or music. I mean I want to see innovative programs as much as everyone else, but you have to remember the skaters are in it to win.
Because if you are standing still (reusing a program) you are falling behind because someone else IS moving ahead. Now, if you bring a different thought to a program that you already have done, then that's a different story...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Because if you are standing still (reusing a program) you are falling behind because someone else IS moving ahead. Now, if you bring a different thought to a program that you already have done, then that's a different story...

Someone else is always going to "move ahead" no matter what you do, so I don't know about that. It's like that saying: "There is always going to be someone better than you." I take that to mean not to worry about them, but use it to further motivate yourself. Of course it's a disappointment to see skaters repeat programs, but if they believe that they can do something consistently enough to actually come out on top, why not?

Sasha reused "Dark Eyes" as her 2006 Olympic SP. She was first after the short program there. I wouldn't really call that falling behind, artistically or technically. I'm pretty certain that she had more artistry and musicality than Shizuka and Irina did then.

phaeljones

On the Ice
With a lighter touch of humor we could say that Orser & Wilson are admirably attesting Nanami's pure genius ...:laugh:

Recently, there have been a number of links on this site showing Yuzuru Hanyu's former skates as he came up the years, and, having re-watched them over the last couple of weeks, I couldn't help but really admire the choreography. I know that some people used to criticize some of the Abe choreography, but I can't find any of it that I don't like. Nanami really was amazing with Yuzuru Hanyu. She seemed to really capture his energy and spirit. I can't help but think she was genius in her coaching and choreography. Looking back on how well he skated with her, no one can deny that.

I also like Orser though and how Yuzuru Hanyu has progressed under Orser (in respect to his skating).

Regarding the choreography chosen under Orser, I like the choreography to his short last season, but I hated the music (from listening to it the second time onward). In fact, if there is one thing that has been lacking in Toronto (be it for the ex by Browning, the short by Buttle or the long by Wilson), it seems to be the music choices for those three Yuzuru Hanyu skates. (Incidentally, someone on one of the youtube videos shows the ex with Browning's choreography, which I thought I did not like, being done to a different soundtrack, and I thought "wow, this is good." The link is on one of the recent posts on his fansite.) In Parisienne Walkways, that metal guitar playing at the beginning is worse to my ears than hearing fingernails scratching on a chalkboard, and the rest of it is not much better. His fs last year was not the prettiest choreography to watch (granted, it is doubtful that it was meant to be) but Hanyu did make it work well as the season progressed. But, regardless, the music for the fs was totally uninspiring (just an opinion . . . others might like it).

I wish that different music had been chosen both last year and this year. The new choice for the fs this year seems uninspiring.

Bottom line: These music choices do not match the greatness of either the skater or likely the choreography that will be done with it. But, no matter what this kid skates, as someone else noted, he does it well. (I think better than anyone else but that is just my opinion.) I still look forward to seeing him skate the new programs with optimistic anticipation even if I am going to either turn off or ignore the sound on the re-watches.

ser22

On the Ice
I'm optimistic. I think that will be good for Romeo and Juliet. A small detail from what I have seen, I really like it.:agree:

Becki

Medalist
I'm optimistic. I think that will be good for Romeo and Juliet. A small detail from what I have seen, I really like it.:agree:

Yeah! As a super Yuzuru fan, I am looking forward to it too :) The snippet I saw in the practice video was good enough to convince me that the program will be super-b!

mysticice

Rinkside
I love PW so I don't mind that Yuzuru Hanyu uses it for another year. (Hey, I happen to like blues and rock.) It’s the Olympic year so he wants to maximize points. He is so familiar with PW that he can now fully concentrate on his new fs. I actually like Nino Rota’s R&J. I am not a huge Wilson fan but I won’t judge it before I have seen it. Yuzuru seems to like it so I have every confidence that he will make it work beautifully.

Longtime figure skating fans are familiar with a lot of music used before, but these young kids are just becoming familiar with them. I don’t blame them for liking catchy tunes instead of some unknown music that is often difficult to grasp. Although I would love to hear a lot more rock ;)

giulia95

Medalist
Nanami really was amazing with Yuzuru Hanyu. She seemed to really capture his energy and spirit. I can't help but think she was genius in her coaching and choreography. Looking back on how well he skated with her, no one can deny that.

One of the things I admire most is that Nanami has alway set the bar unbelievably high to her pupil since he was a very little kid but he has never failed to accomplish the task, no matter what (asthma, earthquake...).

They blindly trusted each other amazing abilities without any fear or hesitation and IMO that's why Yuzu is a top-notch skater despite a delicate health , poor facilities and money, and the reason why their human and emotional connection is simply amazing ( epic K&C moments).

Now the situation is totally different, there's a sort of limit , of brake often applied to Yuzuru...

Willemijn

Rinkside
Thank you Li'Kitsu for your post. It looks like Dai is very capable to communicate the deep emotions of that dramatic violin piece. I am really happy with it and looking forward to his performances this season!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Bent/MacKeen ARE Juniors! I am sure they will grow into their program and into their abilities as ice dancers. I have seen them live the last two years and they have really progressed and are very finished most of the time. Its also fairly early in the season though I guess the JGP will be beginning soon.
I haven't probably used the best words: I meant that, even if they're Juniors, they should begin creating something more mature: next year they'll have to move up to Seniors, and their programs are not really "Senior-orientated" (sorry but I didn't know how to explain this well)...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sorry if this has already been posted and I overlooked it...

Some glimpses of Dais new SP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ks1SU8PI7kc#t=16

And from Jiazumi from FSU:
http://instagram.com/p/dU9F1QPnqv/#
http://instagram.com/p/dUtPWjPngB/#
Some short parts from Javiers new LP

Both look really promising to me :)

Oh yes! :rock: :biggrin:

wow the bit I can see; crown him king :) Really powerfula nd he is so into his music of course I don't know about the jumps.

deedee1

Record Breaker

Ahhhh :love: , thank you so much for the link! Loved his program and costume already. sorry, I'm his fan. :biggrin:

Thank you Li'Kitsu for your post. It looks like Dai is very capable to communicate the deep emotions of that dramatic violin piece. I am really happy with it and looking forward to his performances this season!

:yes: Me, too! :party2:

spikydurian

Medalist
Your comment is fair.
That's good. Thanks for being reasonable in listening.;)

I should have qualified what I said more. But I stand by what I wrote. He has said what Colson told him as core values a skater should have. For instance, there was a "feel-good" interview in the Globe and Mail shortly after his WTT fiasco. He talked of humility being one of the most important qualities that a skater should have and that Colson constantly emphasized that. It is a quality that Chan lacks in his off the cuff remarks. It seems that whenever he puts his foot in his mouth and says something really strange, it is followed up shortly later somewhere else with his talking about Colson and saying something uncontroversial like it is important to be humble and that Colson told him that. That is what I meant.

Patrick Chan mentioned it. He is made it an issue. He doesn't want the skate to speak for itself. As well, this is not a skater that oozes sincerity. His eq is not up there. That is why I directed comments to it.

I don’t remember this article (I don’t know what Colson taught him besides his skating skills and how to set a table as far as I can remember) but I will take it as you say that the fact that he didn’t want to skate at WTT and making off cuff remarks as an indication of his lack of humility and insincerity? I view it otherwise though I would like to qualify that I don’t know Patrick personally (do you?).

Why is not wanting to skate at WTT viewed as insincere? Who was he lying too? He might have valid reasons not wanting to skate and I think it did show at the competition – he was exhausted. If he has one fault, it is he is honest and not insincere. As a result, a simple remark can be easily taken out of context. And sincerity is a quality lest able to be judged from afar because it is too personal. A quality where only close friends are able to comment.

You also claimed that his off cuff remarks indicated his lack of humility? Interestingly, contrary to your perception, I have come across many articles of skaters whose off cuff remarks point to Patrick’s down to earth and affable nature. I don’t equate affability to arrogance. Perhaps you may have mistaken his confidence as arrogance. I view confidence as a trait that someone is aware of one’s strength and capabilities whilst arrogance as looking down on others. Do I have to paint myself as scared and incapable to prove my humility? Patrick is an elite competitor. To have come this far, you need a certain amount of confidence in yourself. A defeatist attitude will never take you far in high level competitions.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't really see how Yuzuru is recycling an old long program. He is skating to a completely different piece of music from the one he skated to in 2011/2012. The fact that both pieces just happen to be soundtracks to movie versions of the same play is irrelevant. Both pieces of music are very different stylistically from each other and can be interpreted in very different ways. Niño Rota's Romeo and Juliet may have been used before (ok used a lot before) but I can't recall another mens skater really owning it. Also I can't really blame skaters or choreographers for not taking musical "risks" during an Olympic season. Sometimes it pays off..but it can just as easily backfire. I for one can't wait to see Yuzuru's new program!

Don't get me wrong, Hanyu is likely to rock as Romeo. He IS just THAT good even if you give him fluff. With JSF support him fully in absence of any other strong Japanese guys once Dai retires this year (Kazuka as well?), he is likely to get 110% inflation at home as he did last year. But here is the thing, he has already done so many good Romeo wins and he is AMaazing, but his team is guilty of type cast what is potentially one of the most exciting raw talent into this one dimension skater that seems only able to romanticize audiences doing the same thing. Sometimes less seduction is actually more seductive, than actively UP the SAME seduction down your throat in a different outfit practically force/tell/remind audiences why they should love him is clearly calculative. It feels like a has been.

I fear he may very well ends up winning by pursuing the same teenage angst ridden type of performance and ends up become a formulaic skater. Although for sure, they will dress him up as a suppose more "maturerrrrr" Romeo (Angst level 10 in a different outfit - less feather more leather ;)) , I bet all goes out the subtlety just go after all those insane crazy jumps contents - the sort of in your face, a big show off type of way. In doing so, it may win competitions, but may very well missed the whole point of why his original Romeo was such unique touching program the first time. The freshness, raw quality, insatiable, vulnerable, delicate and boyish, struggles beyond means. My heart goes out to this Romeo.

IMO there's nothing worse than being creatively dead, or over packaging (artificialize) a raw Talent like Hanyu. I happen to think Hanyu is much MUCH better than that. I am already having nightmares with the way he is going, he might as well be doing Romeo the Tchaikovsky' version, Romeo the Prokofiev version next year and the year after as well. Do his Romeo until age 38 on all his future ice shows, resuscitating his Romeo with skating titles like

Return of Romeo
Romeo lives on another day
Romeo is aaalive.....
Romeo never dies
Romeo the afterlife
Romeo on a plane
Romeo the chronicle years
Romeo back in the future
Romeo is dead... NOT!

What made his original Romeo appealing and unique was the innocence and lack of pretension that avoided case of self absorption you sometimes get in the more maturer (self aware) skaters. A repeat of another Romeo destroys all these ideals and feels false. The romanticsm of Romeo is someone who loves, struggles, then he dies too young, all too unnecessary due to a tragic misunderstanding. You mourn for him and his beloved. He does not come back to life just to win another day... and where is his flipping Juliette? Winnie the Pooh might be cute and even swoon worthy the first time, but Romeo revive again and again for some skating medal seems desperate and soul destroying to the integrity of the original program.

Do I think too much? Yes! Do I exaggerate? Oh Yes. Am i even a little bit correct? Yes.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get that Romeo is a young guy... but Hanyu as a super-romantic leading man is not good casting, IMO.

** I almost hit delete on this post. Fact is, I don't like his skating or his personality. Too immature on both counts. He's a boy among men, and it shows.

Until he grows up, I don't know anything else he could skate to that I would enjoy any better.

twizzgirl

Rinkside
Bent/MacKeen ARE Juniors! I am sure they will grow into their program and into their abilities as ice dancers. I have seen them live the last two years and they have really progressed and are very finished most of the time. Its also fairly early in the season though I guess the JGP will be beginning soon.

There is something about her feet that bothers me, they are not always pointed and they seem to be slightly long....her lines are not always 100% nice. but other tan that they have a promising season!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Dancers appearing at JGP Riga or who are listed as alternates to JGP Riga, from ISU bios (if, in fact, the bios were updated)

Daria Korotitskaya & Makxim Spodirev UKR
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Quickstep: Jumpin' Jack by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Foxtrot: Fever performed by Michael Buble
Quickstep Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 Rotting Romance performed by Benny Richter and Marc Terenzi

Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter USA
Choreographer Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Foxtrot: Bublitchki performed by The Barry Sisters
Quickstep: Chiribim Chiribom performed by The Barry Sisters Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 Discombobulate (from "Sherlock Holmes" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
The Godfather Waltz by Nino Rota
Discombobulate (from "Sherlock Holmes" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer

Elliana Progrebinsky & Ross Gudis USA
Coach Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak & Dmitri Ilin
Choreographer Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Foxtrot: Pink Panther (soundtrack) by Henry Mancini
Quickstep: Jumping at the Woodside by Chacra Music Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 El Conquistador by Maxime Rodriguez
Para Mi Nicole by Esperaza
El Conquistador by Maxime Rodriguez

Kaitlyn Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker USA
Coach: Pasquale Camerlengo, Anjelika Krylova
Choreographer: P. Camerlengo, A. Krylova, M. Scali
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Quickstep: Happy Feet
Foxtrot: It Had To Be You by Harry Connick
Quickstep: Sing, Sing, Sing Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 J'y suis jamais alle (from "Amelie" soundtrack) by Yann Tiersen
Comptine d'un autre ete - L'Apres (from "Amelie" soundtrack) by Yann Tiersen
La Noyee (from "Amelie" soundtrack) by Yann Tiersen
Sur le fil (from "Amelie" soundtrack) by Yann Tiersen

Sara Gislandi & Giona Terzo Ortenzi ITA
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Quickstep: Putting on the Ritz
Charleston Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 The Kid by Carl Davis
City Lights by Carl Davis
Nonsense Song by Carl Davis

Reka Staudt & Mate Staudt HUN
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Foxtrot: Sixteen Tons by Tom Jones
Quickstep: It don't mean a thing Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 All That Jazz (from Chicago soundtrack)

Estelle Elizabeth & Romain Le Gac FRA
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Slow Fox Maddest Kind of Love by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Quickstep: King of Swing by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 Bamboleo by Gypsy Kings
Habla Me by Gypsy Kings
Volare by Gypsy Kings

Mackenzie Bent & Garrett McKeen CAN
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Quickstep: Let's Start Tomorrow Night by Marc Shaiman
Foxtrot: Movin' the Line by Marc Shaiman
Quickstep: Let's Be Bad by Marc Shaiman Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 Yesterday Once More performed by Carpenters
Fun Fun Fun performed by Carpenters
End of the World performed by Carpenters
Hard Jive performed by Sha Na Na

Chloe Lewis & Logan Bye USA
Coach: Judy Blumberg, Igor Shpilband, Ikaika Young
Choreographer: Igor Shpilband
Music Short Program / Short Dance as of season2013/2014 Quickstep: Oh Marie by Michael Buble
Foxtrot: Call Me Irresponsible
Quickstep Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season2013/2014 Theme from Schindler's List by John Williams
Hava Nagilah by Abraham Zevi
Dance for Me Wallis by Abel Korzeniowski