2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07 | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Ladies Short Program 11/07

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It bugs me, but all "good" ladies did 3T3T??? is it because that (IMO, stupid) Lutz edge call?

Yup. Murakami/Lipnitskaia flutz, so they stuck with a 3T+3T. (Also, it's been a while since I've seen Murakami do any other 3-3 than a 3T+3T.)

Daleman can do 3Z+3T without a flutz, but I suspect she's much more comfortable with the 3T+3T.

Tukt hasn't done a 3Z+3T attempt in competition for a while, and she has a pretty strong 3T+3T, so it makes sense for her to stick with that.

Edmunds doesn't flutz but flubbed the first part of her 3Z combo. I'm wondering if she could potentially practice 3F+3T as a backup.

It's too bad about Zijun -- she actually had the hardest combo (3F+3T) but then the loop error cost her dearly.

starlight97

Final Flight
Very weak competition except for about 3 girls...
The two that I felt for the most:

Polina:
I like this program much more than the ones from last year!
To me it also seemed like she has more control over her limbs now and her movements appear to be way less awkward and much more impressive :)
This skate however shows that it was way too fast to compare her to Yulia or other top skaters yet.
Yes, disappointing that she lost her head and didn't put the 3T after the Flip like one normally would, but that just shows that she does lack the experience and cold-calm-competitor mind that others simply have or had the chance to develop until now.
She's not there yet imho, but I think she will be at some point!

Yulia:
I was honestly very worried about her but she just came out and delivered- just as basically always. :clap:
I loved the choreo, but I do agree that the costume does her no good.
I think she skates totally age appropriate and to me her facial expressions and interpretation seemed Much More mature than last season, this program is more "aggressive" than the ones before were. I don't mind the costume also-
I just don't get the connection between it and the music.
But overall, even ignoring the fact that I love her skating anyway, she was great!

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Julia LIPNITSKAIA (RUS) - 69.56 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 67.99 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 60.44 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
4. Gabrielle DALEMAN (CAN) - 58.49 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 53.66 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
6. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 52.00 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
7. Polina EDMUNDS (USA) - 50.32 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
8. Christina GAO (USA) - 47.15 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 44.72 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
10. Anne Line GJERSEM (NOR) - 41.93 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
11. Ashley CAIN (USA) - 39.80 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I didn't catch the competition, but I was wondering, does polina have a chance to medal?

unless everyone after her bombs or make huge mistakes, then yes. But it also depends whether she brings back her A game.

ks777

Record Breaker
Julia is so consistent. I don't know what to think of her SP, wasn't all that. What bothers me about her skating is the way she moves her feet and legs when skating. Just not graceful. Very similar to Murakami. Not impressed with Murakami either.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Happy for Julia and Liza. Liza still delivering. Same for Julia but its a real step up for Liza.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Good for Zijun for holding up the standard with 3F3T, hightest tech score 10.10. Very proud of her... but time to get a different choreographer! Need to break the mould and develop her craft more, try new things to break down those PCS barriers. Really low PCS, clearly no home advantage for her as usual.

Liza should have won.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
unless everyone after her bombs or make huge mistakes, then yes. But it also depends whether she brings back her A game.

There is a slim possibility. Murakami is known for URs, Li isn't very consistent, and Daleman isn't exactly getting the PCS love from the judges (although surprisingly, even if deservedly, was higher than Edmunds after the SP). And if Polina doesn't surpass Helgesson... well, I'll eat my guards. :laugh:

If we look at Worlds last year, Edmunds was about 15 points ahead of Murakami, 16 points ahead of Daleman, and 31 points ahead of Li. 18 points is probably way too much of a deficit to overcome to beat Liza who would have to thoroughly bomb even with an easier tech content. And Julia's tech content will be way too high that even with 3 falls she'll still beat a clean Polina.

The point is, Edmunds needs to put down a clean program to make a statement that she's still competitive. What her goal should be is to win the FS (which would have been her goal in the first place had she done a clean SP), and then let the cards fall wherever.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't know why but Zijun is just staying in the safe zone for so long. I hope she will get new attack but it's just the same as her last season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Please don't kill me Yulia's fans but she was a bit over scored the judges are going crazy with her scores. At the beginning of the season last year she got a 66 for a program that had lutz. Now she is almost breaking the 70 mark with 3t3t. Also, I think she is impressive and the one to beat, but if we compare the one's to beat from the last quad (Mao and Yuna) just making a point the judges did not award them with high presentation scores like that. I know I know we cannot compare scores from 8 year ago, but we can put it in perspective.

Also, you mean to tell me that her SP here was comparable to what The Queen herself Yuna Kim did at 2013 worlds when she got a dubious call on her flip. Not and they almost got the same score.

PCS scores are becoming too subjective and it is not good for the score... The moment Yulia's PCS scores started getting too close to the top two skaters in the world last season it was worry some.

This is not attack against Yulia, I just don't understand. And this is coming from a person who would not mind seeing a Russian sweep at worlds.:think:

Her tech score is objective. She has the spins none of the former "queens" were capable of and she gets her GOE for that. She did not even have all +3. The only one where I could agree is the unnecessary plus on axel. But it gave her just +0.26. Then pcs. I think, one cannot compare different seasons. This season Wagner had higher pcs at SC than Yulia now. Then we may talk about overall pcs inflation rather than specific one because I do not see Ashley as a better skater than Yulia in any of the components.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't know why but Zijun is just staying in the safe zone for so long. I hope she will get new attack but it's just the same as her last season.

Sometimes it is little bit of surrounding yourself with the wrong people. I do find Lori does have a tendency of stereotype skaters, she did with Han Yan too! It really annoys me. These 2 skaters are so much better than their packages, same package for multiple season now. :(

Alba

Record Breaker
There is a slim possibility. Murakami is known for URs, Li isn't very consistent, and Daleman isn't exactly getting the PCS love from the judges (although surprisingly, even if deservedly, was higher than Edmunds after the SP). And if Polina doesn't surpass Helgesson... well, I'll eat my guards. :laugh:

If we look at Worlds last year, Edmunds was about 15 points ahead of Murakami, 16 points ahead of Daleman, and 31 points ahead of Li. 18 points is probably way too much of a deficit to overcome to beat Liza who would have to thoroughly bomb even with an easier tech content. And Julia's tech content will be way too high that even with 3 falls she'll still beat a clean Polina.

The point is, Edmunds needs to put down a clean program to make a statement that she's still competitive. What her goal should be is to win the FS (which would have been her goal in the first place had she done a clean SP), and then let the cards fall wherever.

I can see that happening. Not a slim possibility at all.
I don't see her winning the FS, unless Yulia and Liza bomb theirs, but I can fully see Polina skating very well and beat all the others.
In fact, I'm almost 100& convinced that will happen.

@os168:
Liza should have won.

Nobody have lost, or won, just yet. :sarcasm:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This is the first time I watched Kanako's POTO after hearing so many bad things about her program, has it changed much through the season?

I thought the program is fine, and some lovely details in it, particularly the final 20 seconds with Brightman's playful vibrato, unusual and creative way to finish the program. Kanako should been alot closer to the first 2 than 7 points apart.. she should have beat them in interpretation, performance and and may be at least equal to transition. She is clearly much more refined skater than the other two. Much more lyricism in her skating and expressions (nice use of arms). Surprising and lovely! Ohh.. and Happy Birthday!

Meoima

Match Penalty
This is the first time I watched Kanako's POTO after hearing so many bad things about her program, has it changed much through the season?
I thought the program is fine, and some lovely details in it, particularly the final 20 seconds with Brightman's playful vibrato, unusual and creative way to finish the program. Kanako should been alot closer to the first 2 than 7 points apart.. she should have beat them in interpretation, performance and and may be at least equal to transition. She is clearly much more refined skater than the other two. Much more lyricism in her skating and expressions (lovely arms). Surprising and lovely! Ohh.. and Happy Birthday!
You have just watched her SP. I think you should save your opinion about her POTO LP tomorrow. Because... I can't describe it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You have just watched her SP. I think you should save your opinion about her POTO LP tomorrow. Because... I can't describe it.

What you mean she is doing POTO for LP too?!!!!

Meoima

Match Penalty
What you mean she is doing POTO for LP too?!!!!
Yes, she performed her POTO LP at Japan Open. And believe me, I recommend you don't watch it. Hopefully tomorrow we well see a much better version.