2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

Becki

Medalist
Plushenko possibly coaching Hanyu?
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140216-00000000-spnannex-spo

his own comments in an interview with Japanese media
"There's a possibility to coach Hanyu definitely."
"Yuzuru is my idol. He did a good job. He's a genius."

Please don't let this happen...please. I think Yuzuru needs to improve on his PCs (yes, I think he's great but he has room for improvement) and Plushenko cannot provide that. He doesn't even know how to milk the current system for points. I would be really, really disappointed if Yuzu jumped ships to Plushenko.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Please don't let this happen...please. I think Yuzuru needs to improve on his PCs (yes, I think he's great but he has room for improvement) and Plushenko cannot provide that. He doesn't even know how to milk the current system for points. I would be really, really disappointed if Yuzu jumped ships to Plushenko.

Exactly the last thing we need is Yuzuru morphing into some kind of Plushenko clone. But worry not Becki, I don't think he would go to Russia. After all the trouble he went through, finally is getting through with English and all....the only thing that I might see him do is go back to Japan to train. Like you said he should focus on PCS now.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
jaylee said:
Ugh. No. It's irrelevant to an assessment of his performance. Were the judges supposed to give him higher PCS than he deserved just because he was ill?

How many times do I have to say that: no, he shouldn't have been getting higher PCS - and nobody said he should! You're the only one hear who argues about that at all.

jaylee said:
Are you crazy? You think the statement "He was terrible at 2013 Worlds" and "I said his performance at 2013 Worlds was bad" are not the same thing?

I'll pass up on the lame typical insult, but: no, it's not the same. He was terrible = applies to both TES and PCS. His perfomance was bad = applies only to PCS. As long as you say the former, someone bringing up his TES is right to do so and it is an argument against what you said. If you say the latter, the TES wouldn't have been an argument.

jaylee said:
There's nothing for me to get out of. It's a pity you're so deeply protective of Hanyu that you can't discuss his weaknesses in a rational manner. Jason Brown doesn't have as good a 3A, but he has qualities Hanyu doesn't have.

Not really. I'm a fan, but I do see he has weaknesses and I have no need to act as if they weren't there. Stop pushing this down the "You're an uber! - You're a hater!"-route, because that is getting nobody anywhere. I even agree with some things you mentioned like his LP being a weak program (though I do try to be optimsitic in saying R&J now is at least better than NDP last season, which was a really weak program - mainly because I'm pretty sure he'll stick with Wilson). But I don't get you don't see the different between saying a program was weak or saying it sucked (at least if a post is filled with expressions like the latter, when nobody actively started to discuss that, as it was about the TES before you started going on and on about why his PCS deserved to be so low).

NMURA

Medalist
I think Plush already has contacts with Hanyu himself or the JSF.
Otherwise he won't use a word "definitely" (guess the interview was in English).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Otherwise he won't use a word "definitely" (guess the interview was in English).

Ew, I hope not. I feel people are praising Brian Orser as if he's the one who made Hanyu who he is, since he moved to Toronto. If he moves to Plushenko, Yuzuru will become Plushenkos product/pupil and everyone will praise Plushenko for making Hanyu who he is. He should really think hard and twice about this. Thanks for the compliment, but no thanks.

CarneAsada

Medalist
The... upside (?) of all this is that sky_fly20 can now add another skater to his illustrious "Skaters Loved so much by Judges" list: Yuzuru Hanyu!

(Previously it was Yuna Kim, Carolina Kostner, Adelina Sotnikova, Patrick Chan, Mao Asada)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CarneAsada said:
The... upside (?) of all this is that sky_fly20 can now add another skater to his illustrious "Skaters Loved so much by Judges" list: Yuzuru Hanyu!

(Previously it was Yuna Kim, Carolina Kostner, Adelina Sotnikova, Patrick Chan, Mao Asada)

But Yuzuru is her prince, I don't think that will work? Julia was never added to that list either, I think ;)

CarneAsada

Medalist
But Yuzuru is her prince, I don't think that will work? Julia was never added to that list either, I think ;)
Well, this was the list that sky_fly20 started when he/she was in a rage about Adelina Sotnikova winning Russian Nationals. Julia was not "loved so much by judges" at that point.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I wonder if Yuzuru had skated better, would Chan have bombed as well? Or would that have made him fight for it? Did the fact that he had this gold medal almost handed to him make him unravel? :bang: I understand your friends feelings. It was all so weird. Patrick didn't even need to be clean, I think he could've made with one or two mistakes even, on his nemesis the axel. Why did it have to end like this? I'll never understand.

I was at a loss for words. Did Chan know that Hanyu fell twice and was lackluster? Or do you think his dance choreographer aka coach not tell him? I know that it's best to stay in the moment, think of your performance only, but a smart coach just might have said "Take out the second quad, and even if you miss the axel you're still five points ahead if you go clean. So just enjoy your performance and sell it." I know, Monday morning quarterbacking, but there is just no way after Hanyu skated that I didn't think Chan had this one wrapped up even with a typical Chan performance. It was like watching a Hanyu movie version of "Reversal of Fortune". I chalk it up to poor coaching for Chan, but is she even a coach? Instead of trying for the PCS he should have been training that 3axel with impunity all year. Chan already gets the 'artistic' marks, it's his falling and that 3axel that has hampered him the past quad. Just a case study in wrong skater, wrong coach. Isn't his girlfriend the daughter of his coach? The heart wants what it wants but it doesn't mean you need to be stupid....

jaylee

Medalist
How many times do I have to say that: no, he shouldn't have been getting higher PCS - and nobody said he should! You're the only one hear who argues about that at all.

I'll pass up on the lame typical insult, but: no, it's not the same. He was terrible = applies to both TES and PCS. His perfomance was bad = applies only to PCS.

Please stop making up bizarre interpretations of my posts so that you can make up bizarre, hair-splitting responses. :rolleye: Both statements were generalizations about how he did at Worlds. Btw, his SP at 2013 Worlds was terrible in BOTH TES and PCS. Overall, yes, he was terrible at Worlds, which was my original point, which I was forced to argue thanks to other posters, and called "bashing" by you.

Not really. I'm a fan, but I do see he has weaknesses and I have no need to act as if they weren't there. Stop pushing this down the "You're an uber! - You're a hater!"-route, because that is getting nobody anywhere. I even agree with some things you mentioned like his LP being a weak program (though I do try to be optimsitic in saying R&J now is at least better than NDP last season, which was a really weak program - mainly because I'm pretty sure he'll stick with Wilson). But I don't get you don't see the different between saying a program was weak or saying it sucked (at least if a post is filled with expressions like the latter, when nobody actively started to discuss that, as it was about the TES before you started going on and on about why his PCS deserved to be so low).

I am not the one who brought in ubers/haters--I just said your behavior is way too protective and defensive, and it is. I am not a fan of the way any of the top men skated.

We're going around in circles, and I'm done with this.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I was at a loss for words. Did Chan know that Hanyu fell twice and was lackluster? Or do you think his dance choreographer aka coach not tell him? I know that it's best to stay in the moment, think of your performance only, but a smart coach just might have said "Take out the second quad, and even if you miss the axel you're still five points ahead if you go clean. So just enjoy your performance and sell it." I know, Monday morning quarterbacking, but there is just no way after Hanyu skated that I didn't think Chan had this one wrapped up even with a typical Chan performance. It was like watching a Hanyu movie version of "Reversal of Fortune". I chalk it up to poor coaching for Chan, but is she even a coach? Instead of trying for the PCS he should have been training that 3axel with impunity all year. Chan already gets the 'artistic' marks, it's his falling and that 3axel that has hampered him the past quad. Just a case study in wrong skater, wrong coach. Isn't his girlfriend the daughter of his coach? The heart wants what it wants but it doesn't mean you need to be stupid....
Even without a coach telling him to do this or do that, he MUST have known what should he do when Hanyu's scores were up. It's impossible not to know. Maybe if he had performed last (but not right after Hanyu) his performance would be much cleaner. But it didn't happened.:disapp:
Said that, I miss Yagudin and Plushy's generation so much. They DO know how to skate under pressure. But well, am I the only one who actually enjoy all the successful jumps? I really like it when they jump.:p I detest all the lengthy step sequence, though.:scowl:

moviechick

On the Ice
I don't even wanna know what's in Chan's head. Must be a hot mess like his performance. I mean, the double axel for christ's sakes get it together. At this point it's not even a fluke or bad luck, he's just shown time and again that he can't hold it together at the big leagues.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Too bad we can't give medals for individual elements.

Patrick did get the gold medal in step sequences and highest combo! Yuzuru got the highest single jump points! Jason got the goal medal in spins! Daisuke wins in most nonjump elements overall! Jeremy wins grade of execution! Tatsuki wins for most jump points!

Alas the numbers are interesting and fun.

Base Value

Tatsuki: 84.02
Yuzuru: 83.47
Kevin: 81.42
Dennis: 80.60
Patrick: 78.58
Peter: 75.47
Tomas: 72.53
Michal: 71.97
Han: 71.71
Jeremy: 67.86
Javier: 67.68 (72.30 w/ invalid element)
Brian: 67.05
Daisuke: 66.35
Jason: 65.46 (71.07 w/ invalid element)

Grade of execution

Jeremy: 10.24
Javier: 10.12
Han: 8.89
Denis: 8.30
Daisuke: 6.92
Yuzuru: 6.19
Patrick: 5.82
Tatsuki: 4.20
Michal: 3.34
Jason: 2.63
Brian: 2.46
Jorik: 1.73
Tomas: 1.45
Peter: 0.50
Kevin: -1.59

Jumps:
Tatsuki: 70.40
Denis: 70.02
Yuzuru: 69.83
Patrick: 65.04
Han: 63.69
Kevin: 63.43
Peter: 59.87
Jeremy: 59.33
Michal: 59.19
Tomas: 57.53
Javier: 58.50 (63.12 w/ 3S)
Jorik: 56.73
Brian: 55.57
Daisuke: 51.99
Jason: 46.85 (52.46 w/ 3L)

Highest combo:
Patrick: 17.40 (4T-3T)
Yuzuru: 16.29 (3A-3Tx)
Han: 16.11 (4T-3T)
Denis: 14.56 (3A-3T)
Peter: 14.46 (3A-3T)
Tomas: 14.12 (3A-3Tx)
Javier: 14.09 (4S-2T)
Tatsuki: 13.46 (3A-3T)
Michal: 13.35 (3A-2T-2Tx)
Jeremy: 13.31 (3A-3T)
Kevin: 12.24 (4T<-3T-2Lo)
Daisuke: 11.71 (3Z-3T)
Brian: 11.46 (4T-2T)
Jason: 11.37 (3Z-1L-3S)
Jorik: 10.60 (3Z-3T)

Highest single jump:
Yuzuru: 12.44 (4T)
Javier: 12.44 (4T)
Kevin: 11.90 (4Tx)
Brian: 11.59 (4T)
Michal: 11.36 (4S)
Han: 11.07 (3A)
Daisuke: 10.64 (3A)
Jeremy: 10.64 (3A)
Denis: 10.30 (4T)
Tomas: 10.07 (3A)
Tatsuki: 9.78 (3A)
Patrick: 8.73 (4T)
Jason: 7.90 (3Zx)
Jorik: 7.36 (3A)
Peter: 7.35 (3A)

Nonjump elements
Daisuke: 21.28
Jason: 21.24
Patrick: 20.36
Yuzuru: 19.83
Javier: 19.30
Denis: 18.88
Jeremy: 18.77
Tatsuki: 17.82
Jorik: 17.15
Han: 16.91
Tomas: 16.45
Kevin: 16.40
Peter: 16.10
Michal: 16.12
Brian: 13.94

Step sequences (level)
Patrick 5.90 (StSq4)
Daisuke 5.90 (StSq3)
Denis 5.20 (StSq4)
Jason 4.21 (StSq3)
Yuzuru: 4.30 (StSq3)
Tatsuki: 4.30 (StSq3)
Javier: 4.30 (StSq3)
Jeremy: 4.30 (StSq3)
Michal: 4.23 (StSq3)
Tomas: 4.01 (StSq3)
Peter: 3.94 (StSq3)
Brian: 3.94 (StSq3)
Han: 3.87 (StSq3)
Kevin: 3.87 (StSq3)
Jorik: 3.73 (StSq3)

Step sequence (choreographed)
Patrick: 3.80
Daisuke: 3.70
Yuzuru: 3.60
Jason: 3.60
Javier: 3.50
Jeremy: 3.50
Tomas: 3.30
Denis: 3.20
Tatsuki: 2.80
Peter: 2.70
Kevin: 2.70
Michal: 2.70
Han: 2.60
Brian: 2.60
Jorik: 2.60
Spins
Jason: 13.13 (CCSp4, CCoSp4, FCCoSp4)
Yuzuru: 11.93 (FCCoSp4; FCSSp4, CCoSp3)
Daisuke: 11.68 (FCCoSp3; CCoSp4; CLSp3)
Javier: 11.50 (CSSp4; FCCoSp4; CCoSp4)
Jeremy: 10.97 (CSSp4; FUSp3; CCoSp4)
Jorik: 10.82 (FCSp4, CSsp3, CCoSp4)
Tatsuki: 10.72 (FSSp4; CCSp2, CCoSp4)
Patrick: 10.66 (FSSp4, CCSp4, CCoSp4)
Denis: 10.48 (CCSp4, FSSp4, CCosp4)
Han: 10.44 (FCSp4, CCoSp4, CSSp3)
Kevin: 9.83 (CCSp3, CCoSp3, FCCoSp4)
Peter: 9.46 (FSSp3. FCCoSp3, CCoSp3)
Michal: 9.19 (FSSp4, CCoSp4, CSSp1)
Tomas: 9.14 (FuSp3, CSSp3, CCoSp2)
Brian: 7.40 (FuSp3, CSSp3, CCoSp1)

Thank you so much Mrs. P for taking the time to put these numbers together, it's really interesting to be able to compare directly. :agree:

Just one interesting addition I'd like to point out: Misha Ge got 3.40 for his Choreo Step sequence, which was the 7th highest, and rightfully so. (8 x +2, 1 x +3)

Oh, one more thing: jailee and Li'Kitsu, you've expressed your standpoint and disapproval of the other's interpretation of them ad nauseam. This thread has already 113 pages. PLEASE don't continue to go on for pages. Send each other PMs if you can't get enough of it.
Or just open the window and scream at the first person you see walking by: "hey! you! why are you looking at me funny? wanna fight?" This doesn't interest me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you so much Mrs. P for taking the time to put these numbers together, it's really interesting to be able to compare directly. :agree:

Just one interesting addition I'd like to point out: Misha Ge got 3.40 for his Choreo Step sequence, which was the 7th highest, and rightfully so. (8 x +2, 1 x +3)

You're welcome! Thanks for pointing out Misha Ge's step sequence. I might do the rest of the guys if I have a chance. :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think Chan and Yuzuru and both being gracious gold and silver medalists.
I look forward to seeing them do better at Worlds.
In a interview on TV Yuzuru was asked if he was wishing for Chan to mess up his skating after he (Yuzu) had fallen and Yuzuru said "No, I was rooting for him. I wanted him to do really well. I thought, if he does well, it will be a great learning experience for me."

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh, one more thing: jailee and Li'Kitsu, you've expressed your standpoint and disapproval of the other's interpretation of them ad nauseam. This thread has already 113 pages. PLEASE don't continue to go on for pages. Send each other PMs if you can't get enough of it.
Or just open the window and scream at the first person you see walking by: "hey! you! why are you looking at me funny? wanna fight?" This doesn't interest me.
High five, bro!!:clap:

Coffee

Spectator
I think the problem with the men's competition and why it was so tedious an event to watch, is not with the men themselves, but with the nature of men's skating today. It's become almost preternaturally difficult with so many requirements that whoever invented this new point system, should be sent to a Siberian Gulag. How can you have beautiful artistic programs when you have to do this or that movement or spin at this or that time to garner points. With only a few exceptions, the men's programs all resembled each other, were cookie- cutter replications of each other. No wonder we admired skaters performances of the past; they didn't have to cope with the new point system and could concentrate on having a more balanced program. The more I think about it, I like Dick Button's suggestion ( in his book, "Push Dick's Button"), of having the short program demonstrate the skater's technical ability and the long, a focus on the artistic side and creative side where skating skills are given the edge. Right now, the short is like he long, the main difference being the extra time and more jumps. It's certainly not "free."

SGrand

Final Flight
I wonder if Yuzuru had skated better, would Chan have bombed as well? Or would that have made him fight for it? Did the fact that he had this gold medal almost handed to him make him unravel? :bang: I understand your friends feelings. It was all so weird. Patrick didn't even need to be clean, I think he could've made with one or two mistakes even, on his nemesis the axel. Why did it have to end like this? I'll never understand.

Right??? Who knows what goes through their minds, but you never know, if everyone had actually 'brought it', would it have transferred over to most then? I always find in sports, whether you are playing directly against someone, or waiting in the wings to take your turn, if they are on their game, you up yours without realizing it because you're playing up to them.
It was so unreal watching it. I really feel for him, but I think he should still be very proud of his silvers!

Kalina

On the Ice

He said something very similar in an interview (originally in Russian) released at the beginning of January. I don't know if Sports Nippon (quoted as source in the article) interviewed him directly or took the words from there.
Anyway, this article says that Yuzuru will keep working with Brian next season.