2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens FS 11/01

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Arron....never seems to be able to finish his moves which make them/his entire program seem extremely messy :disapp: Happy for Mura but it was really bland and I felt nothing watching it. Javier imploded as usual and Amodio's LP left me :confused::scratch: not the first time he has made a silly mistake. These two are talented skaters but needs to get it together. I felt sad for Kozuka while his program left me cold. Brezina's program I enjoyed the most in terms of choreo and how clean his movements were despite his technical failures. And Adam was just a mess.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@ballet...fan Jason also jumps like a dancer, every position of his reminds me of a dancer.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I would like to give 90s PCS for Amodio if he went clean and land all his jumps. Because his LP is soooo original and creative.:biggrin:

But I will ding him for that costume. -3 points in PCS!!!:laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I've learned to not set my expectations too high with Florent, so he actually did better than I expected. At least he is trending upward with his scores. :yes: And he's never boring!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well the men are OFF my Christmas card list this year, as I fully expect to OWE points in the prediction game after that debacle. LOL!

My fantasy skating picks went like this: A - Max, B - Kostya, C - Carriere. So I only lose points from Max. :yay:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I liked Florent Amodio though he was not perfect, but his program was quite original. I was sorry for Javier struggling throughout his difficult program. I also hoped Menshov would be better, but he also had problems. But the winner takes it all. Takahito Mura was amazing!

dcnative

On the Ice
I'm glad that Florent seems to be enjoying himself on the ice again; and that he seems to have regained some technical ability. The coaching change seems to be working for him so far.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nice guy but I am puzzled as well - other than he seems to have the Justin bieber type complex. if the fans like him it means it must be he is good but his skating skills while good aren't really that great - he is no Hanyu and certainly not a Chan or Lambiel.

There are few who will ever match Lambiel. His Flamenco is one of my all time favorite programs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1_0xd9A4k :clap: I don't think there anyone now who feels and interprets the music like Stephane.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 255.81 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 244.87 - Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Max AARON (USA) - 231.77 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 231.67 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 225.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 215.71 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 208.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 203.17 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 202.40 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 201.92 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Liam FIRUS (CAN) - 198.91 Free Skate

yude

Record Breaker
I'm sorry if this information was already posted, but Mr. Sato revealed that Kozuka had a slight injury on his foot according to the Japanese broadcast.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm sorry if this information was already posted, but Mr. Sato revealed that Kozuka had a slight injury on his foot according to the Japanese broadcast.
:cry: poor him, he was skating in pain, wasn't he?

Alba

Record Breaker
Mura tells me nothing tbh, so I agree with the judges.

The problem I have is with Javier's LP. If that's the way he is going to perform Rossini's music - and I'm not speaking about tech but performance and interpretation - then I am really disappointed.
That was poor. Very poor for his standarts. :disapp:

emma

Record Breaker

I hate to hear this, and it seems Kazuka has been battling different injuries for sometime. AT the same time, I do hope he can heal and recover; he is truly one of those lovely lovely skaters - such amazing basics and flow.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Mura tells me nothing tbh, so I agree with the judges.
The problem I have is with Javier's LP. If that's the way he is going to perform Rossini's music, and I'm not about tech but performance and interpretation, then I am really disappointed.
That was poor. Very poor for his standarts. :disapp:
For some reason Javi reminds me of Herman Prey: http://youtu.be/rmTcmBn56Jk
If only he can interprete that role with the same charm. :scowl:

Alba

Record Breaker
For some reason Javi reminds me of Herman Prey: http://youtu.be/rmTcmBn56Jk
If only he can interprete that role with the same charm. :scowl:

OMG that's true. :)

I was surprised, really. I was not 100% convinced about Rossini because I thought it would be a consuming energy program.
I never had a doubt about performance/interpretation though. He has charisma, he has charm and he can be sparkly.
He looked feeble, flat tonight. Maybe he was tired, and I really do hope it was because of that.

treeloving

Medalist
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't understand Sato's approach. This is not the first time I read Kozuka's skate with injuries. I remember there was one national where Kozuka skated while injured and he bombed. I don't understand why can't he wait until Kozuka is better heal before coming back on ice.

P.s.I am glad that judge here doesn't hold up pcs when top skater doesn't perform well.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Overall Thoughts:

Amodio--OK, I loved this program. (FYI, the costume looks straight out of the ones in the broadway version of The LION King, IMO). Yes, he's dialed back the quad attempts (and falls); but he looks happy. He hits all the minute details in the music. And finally there is a point to all that great footwork! No time wasted gyrating his hips. Yikes on the spin! But I'd love to see this program again.

Michal--AND I loved this program for him! SO TIRED of the Untouchables/Dull Macho style for him. This was fun! And even though he was having such a rough go on the jumps, he still tried to perform, which is a step up for Michal. Gorgeous 3 axle as always. But, sadly, the other jumps not so much.

Kozuka--I love Kozuka's skating. And I love the program. I just wish he would go out there and skate with freedom and confidence. Knowing he really just needs to skate for himself.

Max--YAYYYYYYYY! Two quads, two triple axles. SHOULD have rocked the technical mark in the short, but I will take this. He isn't an artist, but he IS a competitor; and we desperately need that in the U.S. (I also can't help but see Yagudin during the Gladiator, and sadly that includes the absolute meltdown Alexei had with this music at Worlds).

Menshev--Needed the second quad. Same strengths & weaknesses as Max, plus Menshev had the cushion he needed in the short. Sadly, not the competitiveness.

Mura--Well, he was great today. Skated as well as I can possibly fathom him skating. Big standing ovation. The thing is . . . of all these guys, he had nothing to lose. The real question is whether he can skate under the pressure of knowing he can win?

Javier--Sigh. Once again, gave away just enough to ensure he wouldn't get the placement he wanted. (Very much like Takahashi early in his career. Not huge mistakes, but always just enough to not get the job done). I like the program, and the choreography. Javier came out in the middle of Mura's standing "O" and let the pressure & early mistakes deride the performance. The vocals, though . . . I think scrap them and let the nuances in the choreography shine. (You'd better be able to seriously bring the drama if you plan on skating up to these vocals). Anyway, I think he'll make the final. That's not where the pressure is for him. And I think this program will be fine.

This was a phenomenal field of men! And Phantom excepted, a lot of fun programs!

All that said, nothing like Machida's Beethoven number. (FABULOUS! For me, that is the program of the season in any discipline thus far.)

thoakun

Final Flight
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't understand Sato's approach. This is not the first time I read Kozuka's skate with injuries. I remember there was one national where Kozuka skated while injured and he bombed. I don't understand why can't he wait until Kozuka is better heal before coming back on ice.

P.s.I am glad that judge here doesn't hold up pcs when top skater doesn't perform well.

I don't know the full details of Kozuka's situation but for me, Mr Sato is a big question mark in terms of management.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 255.81 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 244.87 - Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Max AARON (USA) - 231.77 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
4. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 231.67 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 225.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 215.71 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 208.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 203.17 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 202.40 Free Skate, 2nd Copy