2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Free Skating

Alba

Record Breaker
But as sonia said, I don't think it was fair on 2008 world for mao and kostner to stay ahead of yuna. .

As much as I respect Sonia Bianchetti, and share many of her views, she's not the bible of figure skating and she can be biased too.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. But that's true about the powder diet. Tutberidze said about that herself.

That powder diet is only at certain times and from what I understand of it she only does very rarely or maybe even only once. I also suspect she doesn't eat anything that contains hormones or fed hormones like most processed food is. I read before that Yulia didn't like her diet at first and her mom and her struggled with it but that like anything else becomes easier with time. I know regular people that go on juice diets and other crazy approaches to lose weight. I think she is just trying to maintain and follow a diet that I know from personal experience many atheletes follow. I know several NHL players that do it from time to time.

I would be more concerned for Sotnikova who claims to only eat four days a week:eek:

Alba

Record Breaker
Stop. Why is it offensive to mention my perspective about her reactions. Offensive? Read this thread, there has been offensive comments and mine wasnt one of them. Some people here are taking my comments out context. Yulia can do whatever she wants. But for me, you show sportmanship when you show happiness for the winner.

So S&S crying in Sochi, P&B crying here must be horrible persons.

You wrote in a previous comment: this girl does not look happy on the podium unless she is in the middle and to me that is odd.

Does this mean that, in your opinion, she was not happy with her placement? Because if it does, I think you're wrong.

Yulia was very happy after her SP despite being paced in 3rd place. She was surprised and happy enough when she saw that she was placed in 2nd after her LP. I think she had no idea what Costner did, or Suzuki, and she thought she probably lost the 3rd place as well due to her mistakes. Eteri seemed to me less happy with it, not Yulia.

I think Yulia is happy when she does a clean performance, no matter the placement. She might be tough on herself but that's who she is.

Actually she sometimes reminds me Ilia Kulik. Not because he was tough on himself, but he never showed much enthusiasm when he did well in competitions, and never made a fuss about wining Olympics as well. :laugh:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
That powder diet is only at certain times and from what I understand of it she only does very rarely or maybe even only once. I also suspect she doesn't eat anything that contains hormones or fed hormones like most processed food is. I read before that Yulia didn't like her diet at first and her mom and her struggled with it but that like anything else becomes easier with time. I know regular people that go on juice diets and other crazy approaches to lose weight. I think she is just trying to maintain and follow a diet that I know from personal experience many atheletes follow. I know several NHL players that do it from time to time.

I would be more concerned for Sotnikova who claims to only eat four days a week:eek:

I just found this interview. Tutberidze said, when Yulia needs to lose some weight she eats ONLY this 'Squeeze' powder, nothing more (she lose 100 g of weight per day). So I assume it happens periodically but still happens. My poor baby.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Doing a single flip instead of a triple has absolutely nothing to do with the score you get for chreography. In fact, the component CC (Choreography and Composition) is the one who (IMO) should be most independant from your (jumping) performance of the day. If Caro deserved a 10 for any of the components, it should be for CC because while her mistakes affected the performance, the choreography was the same as always. She didn't leave out choroegraphy because of her mistakes on the jumps.

This is not correct. EVERY movement you make in a performance is choreography. Jumps are choreography.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just found this interview. Tutberidze said, when Yulia needs to lose some weight she eats ONLY this 'Squeeze' powder, nothing more (she lose 100 g of weight per day). So I assume it happens periodically but still happens. My poor baby.
I feel bad for her too at times but I don't think she is afraid to say no or eat whatever she wants to honestly. This one has a very strong will and desire to win and seems willing to sacrifice a lot to achieve it. Maybe she has a secret cooler hidden under her bed or somewhere in her room full of goodies. I like to imagine her eating ice cream bars late night under the covers and getting melted ice cream all over her medals as she wipes her face off with them all the while letting out a sinister, yet muted laugh!!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is not correct. EVERY movement you make in a performance is choreography. Jumps are choreography.

BTW I loved the "ode to the single jump" write up. I've read it several times and found it funny and not offensive at all. I honestly can not look at the protocols anymore because I can't resist looking at Caro's and hearing your words.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I feel bad for her too at times but I don't think she is afraid to say no or eat whatever she wants to honestly. This one has a very strong will and desire to win and seems willing to sacrifice a lot to achieve it. Maybe she has a secret cooler hidden under her bed or somewhere in her room full of goodies. I like to imagine her eating ice cream bars late night under the covers and getting melted ice cream all over her medals as she wipes her face off with them all the while letting out a sinister, yet muted laugh!!

Omg. You have some imagination :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker

I read Yulia's reply about this on FSU a month ago. I'm trying to find it but it's difficult, I can't remember in which section it was posted and I'm not a member.
Anyway, she said the journalist was full of crap or something like that. :laugh:
She said she eat this and that, and she does like chocolates a lot. :biggrin:

Julia skates on Schindlers's list. For good reasons, there is no way one should neither laugh or smile in this program.

True, but she does not smile when she skates The Nutcracker as well. She obviously needs to work a bit on that aspect.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Uh... aren't you a proponent of keeping the PCS marks entirely separate from technical performance?! :unsure:

So much so that when I read your single-jump ode to Carolina, part of me wondered if you were actually joking or being your usual self.

David21

On the Ice

Of course my post was correct :p

You are right in the sense that the jumps are part of the choreography, but it is the placement in relation to the whole program which make them choreography. Your post made it sound like a single flip and is worse chreography than a triple flip which is certainly not the case.

StellaCampo

On the Ice
Of course my post was correct :p

You are right in the sense that the jumps are part of the choreography, but it is the placement in relation to the whole program which make them choreography. Your post made it sound like a single flip and is worse chreography than a triple flip which is certainly not the case.

(1) Commenting at the time of Sochi Olympics, Robin Cousins said of the new choreographic sequence element: "...but I said what choreographic sequence? The entire programme should be a choreographic sequence".

(2) When Caro did her single jumps, as they were meant to be some other jumps, they did not look like committed jumps. They looked clearly like failed jumps, she looked like saying silly me and there was no artistry, no mood whatsoever. Contrast them with committed single jumps executed by Curry and Cousins referred to in my earlier post in this thread. In fact the middle part of her skate, with the fall, the popped jumps and the watered down combos, looked like a write off.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Jumps are required elements that you integrate into a choreography.

This is a good choreo. and beautiful interpretation without jumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUiDh_Fu_1s

Precisely. Triple jumps are not integral to good choreography, and a program with no jumps can still be strong choreographically. And the converse is true.

A program with bad choreography all of a sudden shouldn't be given higher choreography marks just because the skater manages to reel off 2 quads and 7 triples. And lord knows, we've seen that. :rolleye:

Alba

Record Breaker
Precisely. Triple jumps are not integral to good choreography, and a program with no jumps can still be strong choreographically. And the converse is true.

A program with bad choreography all of a sudden shouldn't be given higher choreography marks just because the skater manages to reel off 2 quads and 7 triples. And lord knows, we've seen that. :rolleye:

I absolutelly agree with you.
We all agree there are problems with PCS, because the same goes for skating skills, and interpretation.
You could have a good choreo. but not such a good interpretation. Sometimes the music can make a huge impact in a choreography, and make a good one look bad overall.
I thought Carolina's SP had beautiful choreography, not so much the Bolero tbh.

The question I have about PCS vs TES is which program do I reward if a skater doesn't have both?

Then Adelina's choreography must be the best. :biggrin:

David21

On the Ice
(2) When Caro did her single jumps, as they were meant to be some other jumps, they did not look like committed jumps. They looked clearly like failed jumps, she looked like saying silly me and there was no artistry, no mood whatsoever. Contrast them with committed single jumps executed by Curry and Cousins referred to in my earlier post in this thread. In fact the middle part of her skate, with the fall, the popped jumps and the watered down combos, looked like a write off.

When a jump fails and as a result the skater loses, for some time, commitment to the program then this should be considered under "performance/execution". Only when the jump fails big time (e.g. a fall occurs) and the skater leaves out a significant amount of choreography, then this should be considered under "choreography/composition".