2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program

NMURA

Medalist
Mao's SP score was about 1.5 points higher than I expected. Maybe Mr Cinquanta was irritated by S Korea's protent and indictated the judges to make the new world record (if possible). As a consequence, the later skaters were benefited from this inflation trend. She will be able to surpass 150 points with the same FS at Sochi. Of course this is a conservative number. I've never expected to see such an inflation even compared to the Olympics.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just had time to catch up the short.
The top 3 are just as expected. I have a feeling Julia is even smaller/thinner than when I saw her at the Olympics. So she won't have a weight issue after all.
I am happy Anna delivered well, especially the 2A. Her score should be higher. Hope Anna can stay or move up in the LP.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Point wise, I think Yuna's 007 jumps might be worth more still. Her triple-triple was always worth more than Mao's clean axle. They both have the flip. But then Mao did her 3Lo--2Lo in combination. Either way they're both historic female skaters. Mao's style is a bit softer/balletic.
If Mao skates clean Saturday, it will be very interesting to see how her score compares to what she got at Sochi for the FS.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao's SP score was about 1.5 points higher than I expected. Maybe Mr Cinquanta was irritated by S Korea's protent and indictated the judges to make the new world record (if possible). As a consequence, the later skaters were benefited from this inflation trend. She will be able to surpass 150 points with the same FS at Sochi. Of course this is a conservative number. I've never expected to see such an inflation even compared to the Olympics.
Have you heard about "black helicopters"? I heard Ottavio flew to Japan in one! Putin actually over paid from Sochi so they still owed Russia a few PCS points or were facing a refund that was the same cash value as the purchase price of said "Black Helicopter". Of course they choose Yulia. Never mind she had the best jumps of her career. That's not what were talking about.

Here is a link to the truth
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Black+helicopters

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Those records from 2010 are meaningless. The requirements were changed after 2010--no spiral sequence in the short, for instance, and choreo spiral only in the long. GOEs were modified, too.
Yes, the rule changes were supposed to prevent anybody breaking Kim's records, ever.
But something has gone badly wrong...! o_O
This is what happens when you annoy Cinquanta, with protests!
;-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5DmwDNtaig

Apparently the British commentators think differently than you.
Yeah, they called it well ahead of the scores coming up - they already knew it was going to be a new WR.

Because it was THAT obvious.
A well deserved and justified record.
She spent 3+ years rebuilding herself, and now she is reaping the rewards of that...

Scott512

Record Breaker
I've always said that Mao and Yuna's rivalry was one of the best things to happen to ladies figure skating, if anyone should break Yuna's WR, it should be Mao

And her Sochi FS was underscored, her PCs should have been closer to Yuna's, Adelina's and Carolina's.

You are right about Mao's free skate being underscored in Sochi. But that was mainly due to her skating in the third to last group.

Good to know the top 3 ladies skated so well in the worlds short program just like in Sochi.

BusyMom

Medalist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5DmwDNtaig

Apparently the British commentators think differently than you.
Although I love her Nocturne from 2006 better, especially from the NHK, she was flawless today. She has the courage and determination to spend the past 4 years reworked her jumps. She sure is not the girl who take the easy way out and say " it is not important".

They said in this video that back then she was the only one who landed triple-triple combinations.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx88g8DFR-4
She came along way from the first girl who land 3A in Junior competition for sure. And I miss her spiral sequences. I wish the ISU will consider to bring it back.

I want to buy a drink to the single judge who noticed that Asada's 3axel was slightly cheated. It was executed well otherwise so I guess I can understand how you could start with +2 base value and arrive at +1 (I went +1-1=0) but those +2s seem to indicate that seven out of nine judges didn't see it and that's sad.
Link to the slow-motion video: http://youtu.be/f04HfUU2aaQ?t=5m18s

Props to her on the 3flip though. The rotation was more or less full and that's a jump that she usually under-rotated as well. 3loop and 2loop were both 100% rotated.

I was very surprised to see her turn things around so drastically and deliver such a strong performance.

The overall level of this event was fantastic.

Mao's SP score was about 1.5 points higher than I expected. Maybe Mr Cinquanta was irritated by S Korea's protent and indictated the judges to make the new world record (if possible). As a consequence, the later skaters were benefited from this inflation trend.

Sotnikova skated 'well' in front of a home crowd > she got high scores.

Asada skated well in front of a home crowd > she got high scores.

Had the Worlds been held in Italy, Kostner would have probably been 1st after the SP here.

Occam's Razor.

Selene

On the Ice
The -1 on Asada's 3A was because the jump was about 1/4 UR, as her 3A always is. She managed to hook the landing and get good flow out of the jump, though.

Gracie's jumps has absolutely no flow and speed at the landings. It's not cute to look at despite the height and air position.

The girl has no idea how to properly land a jump. She should watch Carolina's SP and take lessons - the beautiful extended free leg, the flow out of the jump, things totally alien to Gracie.

I think Carroll has done a lot for her confidence and consistency. But her jump quality has suffered. Her 3Lz-3T and 2A-3T were better when she trained with Ouriashev. And that thing she called a 3Lo in her SP should barely count as a jump, because it barely left the ice.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
The triple axel was very cheated on the take off but it was landed well with only a quarter turn on the ice. I would have given it zero GOE but I see nothing wrong with a judge giving it minus 1. Congratulations to Mao for pulling it together! The triple flip was really one of the best I have ever seen by her

usethis2

Medalist
I only watched Mao and Gracie so far. But looking at other skaters scores, they are definitely inflated. Last year there was no single skater who cracked 70.

I really don't mind it, though. Especially on PCS side. Let the judges push as hard so that there is little room left for their manipulation. If it's going to happen, I'd rather have it happen sooner than later.

NMURA

Medalist
As we know, the ISU is a political organization using a banner of "sport".

Sotnikova's SP score could be lower if she skated BEFORE Lipnitskaya.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only watched Mao and Gracie so far. But looking at other skaters scores, they are definitely inflated. Last year there was no single skater who cracked 70.

I really don't mind it, though. Especially on PCS side. Let the judges push as hard so that there is little room left for their manipulation. If it's going to happen, I'd rather have it happen sooner than later.

OMG....I can't. It's just too easy!! Lol

hanca

Record Breaker
I want to buy a drink to the single judge who noticed that Asada's 3axel was slightly cheated. It was executed well otherwise so I guess I can understand how you could start with +2 base value and arrive at +1 (I went +1-1=0) but those +2s seem to indicate that seven out of nine judges didn't see it and that's sad.
Link to the slow-motion video: http://youtu.be/f04HfUU2aaQ?t=5m18s

Ziggy, I am really sorry but I don't think it was under-rotated. On the link it is not clear when exactly her blade lands on the ice, so what you think may have been extra rotation on the ice may still be in the air. According to the rules, if not sure, do it in the favour of the skater. Which is what I think the judges did. I was definitely not sure from the link so I would give it to her too.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
As we know, the ISU is a political organization using a banner of "sport".

Sotnikova's SP score could be lower if she skated BEFORE Lipnitskaya.

What are you smoking? Adelina isn't even competing @ Worlds. Sheesh. :bang:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ziggy, I am really sorry but I don't think it was under-rotated. On the link it is not clear when exactly her blade lands on the ice, so what you think may have been extra rotation on the ice may still be in the air. According to the rules, if not sure, do it in the favour of the skater. Which is what I think the judges did. I was definitely not sure from the link so I would give it to her too.

I thought the 3a while ever so slightly hooked looked fine. It was a good jump. The only thing I saw at all questionable was the 3lo-2lo looked a little weird especially the 2lo but IMO if a skate is that good I'm willing to look the other way. It was borderline at worst so why not side in favor of Mao.

usethis2

Medalist
Well, I think Mao's 3A is +1 worthy if we consider that men receive +1 for a successful quad by default. I've always thought Mao's 3A is not appreciated very much because judges have no other reference among women skaters. I guess they mostly think of men's 3A which is obviously different from Mao's 3A. Considering that less than spectacular 3Lz/3F done by women get +GOE in comparison to men's, the quality of Mao's 3A today is at least +1 GOE.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What are you smoking? Adelina isn't even competing @ Worlds. Sheesh. :bang:

There are a few people commenting on the event having not even seen it. I absolutely recommend anyone in the dark go back to Pg. 16 when things started getting a little loopy amongst GS members. I saw every skater and stayed up over 24 straight hours!!