2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Ladies Short Program

colourmeblue

Rinkside
Joining the party late! The top four ladies were stunning. So glad to see all of them happy with their performances and smiling (even Julia!). Mao was sublime. I'm surprised and confused by the controversy surrounding her score. Carolina's Ave Maria was beautiful as usual.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Mao was underscored, that SP deserves 80+ IMHO. Carolina's SP was beautiful, but I don't think it was worthy of 77+ program. Probably 74.
And I know this is talked before, but that -1 on Mao's 3A is VERY suspicious. But if -1 was on the protocol, i guess there was another score that was less than or equal to -1 :rolleye:

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Gracie's jumps has absolutely no flow and speed at the landings. It's not cute to look at despite the height and air position.

BusyMom

Medalist
Just finished re-watching Akiko's SP. I think her score was a bit underscored though. Her first 3T in combination was very big. Strong 2A. Her spins might not fancy enough but very centered. Good edge throughout the footwork. Plus no need to mention how she emoted and connected to the music.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to Akiko. She's sure a classy lady. Good luck for FS. Hope she'll gave us another memorable moment.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
I'm sad Yuna's record is gone too. erg

Let's be honest here, Mao's program was nowhere near Yuna's James Bond. Whatever..

JayW

Final Flight
Mao was underscored, that SP deserves 80+ IMHO. Carolina's SP was beautiful, but I don't think it was worthy of 77+ program. Probably 74.
And I know this is talked before, but that -1 on Mao's 3A is VERY suspicious. But if -1 was on the protocol, i guess there was another score that was less than or equal to -1 :rolleye:

Mao's jumps looked much better tonight. Her 3A was huge, -1 is not right; her 3F was squeaky clean; her 3Lo was big too. The score should be bit higher, but I am happy since she got new WR!

I am imagining how would Mao have scored if she put 3-3 combo!?

matcha

Medalist
She IS in Japan. Sotnikova, Volosozhar and Trankov are all there. They are, like, special guests. At least that's what russian commenters said yesterday and today.

She's not skating because she is tired, and Federation decided to give a chance to young Pogorilaya. At least that's what Gorshkov, the president of the federation, said. You can find more info (on russian only) here: http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/158708172.html

OK, thank you. :)

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Yuna is LUCKY that she still has her LP record as of now. Adelina was 1 point away from it... HEHEHEHEHHE ..

HEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHE

:slink:

Mao can beat it it seems if she can go clean with that jumping layout at the Olympics

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna is LUCKY that she still has her LP record as of now. Adelina was 1 point away from it... HEHEHEHEHHE ..

Those records from 2010 are meaningless. The requirements were changed after 2010--no spiral sequence in the short, for instance, and choreo spiral only in the long. GOEs were modified, too.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I love Mao and I like and respect Caro. They are awesome skaters, almost legends. But if we come down to earth, Julia is better than both, except for Mao's 3A. And in this particular case I have Mao first, with Julia coming close in second, and Caro in third at a very small difference. Caro's short is divine, but that does not mean she should score 10s while Mao and Julia linger between 8 and 9 (it's al about the infamous PCS). This higher marks for some skaters look like points for music, age, and politics over all other reasons. Osmond had a very difficult program. She had a mistake, still the PCS are so low. Julia is more lucky and that was because she was constantly almost perfect. Plus, she is Russian. I love her, so I don't care about her nationality. These girls were amazingly good in this championship.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Was there really a Mao-Yuna rivalry, or is that mainly media hype? I feel like after from 2009 onwards, Kim pretty much dominated the field with double-digit leads.

She was dominant from 2009-2010 Olympics, but after that she only won 1 major event out of 4.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Mao and I like and respect Caro. They are awesome skaters, almost legends. But if we come down to earth, Julia is better than both, except for Mao's 3A. And in this particular case I have Mao first, with Julia coming close in second, and Caro in third at a very small difference. Caro's short is divine, but that does not mean she should score 10s while Mao and Julia linger between 8 and 9 (it's al about the infamous PCS). This higher marks for some skaters look like points for music, age, and politics over all other reasons. Osmond had a very difficult program. She had a mistake, still the PCS are so low. Julia is more lucky and that was because she was constantly almost perfect. Plus, she is Russian. I love her, so I don't care about her nationality. These girls were amazingly good in this championship.

It's all good. Let the Vets go out on top. I think Yulia might just be here to stay:love:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It might be like how Adelina got -1 on the Sochi LP 3-3, where one judge saw something the others didn't. Maybe this judge thought Mao's 3A looked a bit UR.

sk8in

Match Penalty
One thing that bugs me about Gracie is when she does that spin that's not quite a biellmann, with one hand holding the blade behind her head (rather than above), she lets her free arm hang down like a gorilla. It looks really ugly. Just rewatched Mao's, and she does the same spin with her hand neatly resting against her chest. Much more elegant!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Those records from 2010 are meaningless. The requirements were changed after 2010--no spiral sequence in the short, for instance, and choreo spiral only in the long. GOEs were modified, too.
Exactly!! And a solo 2A was compulsory until 2010... So the scores are not really directly comparable

usethis2

Medalist
Records are there to be broken. This is supposed to be Mao's final stage in Japan. It's not unexpected. And I honestly thought Yuna's 007 was better at SA 2009 than in the 2010 Olympics but the scores were the other way around anyway.

Cograts to Mao on the new WR, but I do wonder about other skaters' score inflation. Is the SP protocol out yet?

jaylee

Medalist

I would say that "world records" under IJS are not useful in making comparison across time periods where there were significant rule changes and significant variations in the way judges administered GOEs and PCS.

However, they're not completely meaningless in themselves. They certainly represent something about that skater's performance at that particular competition.

Put it this way--are Michelle Kwan's 6.0 records completely meaningless since 6.0 is no longer used as the scoring system? Or do they reflect something about her skating and her performances at that particular competition?