2015-16 Grand Prix Final Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Free Dance

Dots

Final Flight
Hopefully P/Z have a killer FD. While last season's FD was good, it was kind of one note and bland. He is fantastic, but poor girl you couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

My co-worker said "No, his talent won the world title for both of them." :laugh: I kind of agree though...

tulosai

Record Breaker
I only read live, so I missed the aftermath. I typically like to avoid the drama and all the so and so were robbed, just happened to come into this before the event was over. I just hate the so and so was robbed stuff. I'm not the biggest C/B fan, but I feel like even had they skated perfectly people would react in the same manner.

I'm sorry, but this hits the nail on the head, and I know this because people are doing it to Cappellini/Lanotte too, as well as to Chock/Bates just not quite as vocally, even though they did skate perfectly.

The bottom line is people wanted the Shibs to medal, and now they want to vent that they didn't medal. They thought on the basis of 2 competitions where the Shibs were not pitted against Chock/Bates that a miracle occurred and in their first head to head with Chock/Bates this season they'd beat Chock/Bates. They are upset.

I understand people want to vent but some of what is being said or has been said is over the top and frankly unsportsmanlike. I actually believe the Shibs are classy people and would cringe at some of what has been said and think they didn't want these kinds of people as fans.

bramweld

Record Breaker
And do you know what annoys me about this event the most? PCS. Just to show something:

B/S 51.27
H/D 48.66
S/S 54.04
C/L 54.95
C/B 54.87
W/P 56.28

Basically, the later each team went, the higher scores they got. Except H/D, because they had the most serious mistake. PCS seem more like being given by the starting order and number of serious mistakes. Why are PCS scores given like this? I don't think all teams should be that close with such high scores.

This isn't news. It's the way its always been. That's why the SD is SOOO important.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I saw correctly, I think he stepped down before one of their twizzle sequence was done!

Thank you. I must have missed that. I was busy thinking about how dynamic the Shibs' twizzles are. The crowd always goes wild over them. They did them right in front of me at Nationals last January, and that was when I really got it. :)

Well, he's not alone. Maddie had a bobble on the twizzle, and I thought so did Andrew Poje, but maybe it was milder.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought the Shibs were great. Sounds like Alex has food poisoning so the fact that they skated this well is amazing. If they had been at full strength then the outcome might have been higher for them.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Hopefully P/Z have a killer FD. While last season's FD was good, it was kind of one note and bland. He is fantastic, but poor girl you couldn't pick her out of a lineup.

My co-worker said "No, his talent won the world title for both of them." :laugh: I kind of agree though...

Sadly enough their material looks pretty similar to what they had last year. Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised regardless.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I really thought the Shibs should have been on the podium, or at least they should have beaten Madison and Evan in the FD, and Anna and Luca in the SD. The GOEs on the twizzles make me facepalm myself. This is really sad, I thought this could be the season when they could finally break through as the no. US ice dance team. It's basically impossible for them to win Nationals at this point. But it's hard for someone to really move up the standings in this discipline (Gabriella and Guillaume were such an exception). Anyways, congrats to Alex for enduring the food poisoning, I was in tears even before they started crying. Hopefully he'll feel better soon (the possibility of not seeing them at the Gala makes me even sadder). :sad21:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm sorry, but this hits the nail on the head, and I know this because people are doing it to Cappellini/Lanotte too, as well as to Chock/Bates just not quite as vocally, even though they did skate perfectly.

The bottom line is people wanted the Shibs to medal, and now they want to vent that they didn't medal. They thought on the basis of 2 competitions where the Shibs were not pitted against Chock/Bates that a miracle occurred and in their first head to head with Chock/Bates this season they'd beat Chock/Bates. They are upset.

I understand people want to vent but some of what is being said or has been said is over the top and frankly unsportsmanlike. I actually believe the Shibs are classy people and would cringe at some of what has been said and think they didn't want these kinds of people as fans.

People need to go running. :)

I think it's understandable that people are upset. At the same time, is anyone surprised? Heck, even as a fan I put Shibs 3rd at best in my predictions. This is a team that has had to be patient with their struggles and career since their initial debut season and I think the judges aren't going to warm up to a team overnight.

All they can do is keep going, move forward, etc.

ETA: Alex had food poisoning?! That is pretty incredible. It can explain why their TES wasn't up to snuff. Well good for them.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well I got my time zones mixed up and missed the entire FD. Ended up going running and listening to a podcast instead. Sounds like it was probably for the best?

Mrs. P, you would have been extremely proud of your Shibs.

The crowd loved them so much.

At the end, Maia herself was crying, and then she immediately went to her brother's side -- Alex still was kneeling on the ice (at that point, we did not know about his food poisoning).
Although we didn't know yet why they both were so emotional, Maia's support for Alex and their bond as siblings were beautiful things to see.

I'm still crying for them :sad4:, but hoping for them to skate great at Nats.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I didn't watch, but ouch how close the Shibutanis were to medal. Save it for worlds! :)

Barb

Record Breaker
I think it is unfair some teams can to have obvious mistakes and even win, and with SB:palmf:. With that kind of scoring they can skate more relaxed because they know even with mistakes they can win.
In general I think C/L, C/B and W/P skated fine, but I just hate the overscoring, they were not soooo great.

Laurelise

On the Ice
I was (am) pretty annoyed the placements. Looking at the protocols, though, I at least understand them better (well, relative to the Shibs and C/L, anyway; the protocols are not terribly enlightening as regards Chock/Bates). C/L had a Level 4 on their spin while the Shibs got Level 3. They had the same levels on everything else, and that accounts for a 1 point difference in base value. The GOE was roughly the same, and the rest of the difference is in PCS. I don't necessarily agree with the PCS, especially regarding the performance-based categories, but part of that comes down to taste, and the Shibs and the Italians have very different programs.

I like Chock/Bates, but I don't quite get why those twizzles didn't get net negative GOE. That was a big mistake and it seems like it should have cost them more than it did.

As I said before the short dance, I like all of these teams and wish more than 3 could medal. The total scores of second and fourth place were less than three points apart, so the Shibs should take heart! It's not that they're not regarded as a top team, it's just that there are only three medals to give out (and the judges have different taste than I do).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
after reading a few of the comments from posters in this forum, I double checked to see if I were still on golden skate…. it felt like I were on a boxing or wrestling forum…. I haven't watched the FD yet… I am sure many of you are right about some GOEs that should be lowered… but it also seems that everyone was positively marked… everyone seems to have benefitted from the judges today…. so why should one team benefit more than the others? because they are our favourite? then… that's why there is so much war and hate in the world… peace out folks.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Shibs are the real reason I am watching this event right now, I am so disappointed. :frown:

Exactly how I feel. This makes me want to give up watching ice dance at all. It's too upsetting. I can only imagine how the Shibs feel right now. I just love them! They have wonderful skating skills and a beautiful unique style all their own that is really refreshing. I hope they stay true to themselves and keep pushing, and get the recognition they deserve at nationals (i.e., beat C/B) and worlds. And personally, I prefer H/D over C/B.

tommybuffano12

Rinkside
@ Heleng. Feel for shibs. Prefer C/B over H/D but tonight the Shibs were just...incredible. Feel for them. World's in Boston will be their moment.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Does anyone have explanation as to what happened with the Shibs? I was there, they had everybody eating out of their hands, mad applause and standing ovation, then when ee saw Alex was crying we were all "what, why is he crying, we sure hope he's crying because he's happy, we didn't see any mistakes...", and the the score and the collective reaction was like all energy was sucked out of the arena "106? huh? maybe he did make some mistake?" (There us no TES counter in the arena) The lady next to me pointed out that Alex didn't seem ok in the K&C even before the scores, so did anything go wrong? It was a bit hard to get into other skaters afterwards, to be honest, at least for me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone have explanation as to what happened with the Shibs? I was there, they had everybody eating out of their hands, mad applause and standing ovation, then when ee saw Alex was crying we were all "what, why is he crying, we sure hope he's crying because he's happy, we didn't see any mistakes...", and the the score and the collective reaction was like all energy was sucked out of the arena "106? huh? maybe he did make some mistake?" (There us no TES counter in the arena) The lady next to me pointed out that Alex didn't seem ok in the K&C even before the scores, so did anything go wrong? It was a bit hard to get into other skaters afterwards, to be honest, at least for me.

I guess Alex had food poisoning. :( Thanks for the in-arena report. You are very kind to check in!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Me and my sad panda face are now pouting at the hotel until it's time for the ladies :cry: the only consolation right now is that the crowd LOVED them! People were going nuts during the performance and pretty much everyone around me was on their feet the second they finished.
I'm going to cry if they aren't at the gala tomorrow. Big big sad panda tears :sad21: