2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Idk how Yuna Kim came back, barely competed, and won Worlds by 20 points. Comparing it to Chan and Asada really puts things in perspective. Is it training? Strategy? Nerves? Technique?

Technique, Yuna is relying on her technique, just watch all her practice sessions at 2013 worlds and 2014 OG practice on Youtube. Yuna has absolutely total control of her jumps, totally relaxed upper body, even when she is nervous, or doubt about herself for coming back, or competition jitters, she can rely on her technique, as Yuna said herself after her bad warming up at SOCHI sp in interview, "I chose to trust my training". CBC OG Yuna FS commentary also mentioned that and summarized it very well (Yuna's FS at Sochi at that situation!).

Ophelia

Record Breaker
The flip side: whether a skater is inconsistent or not, I don't think they should be expected to perform great when they are ill.

Gotta agree with this. Most people can't even function properly after one bad night out, never mind jump 8 triples when they're down with the stomach flu.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
JUST watched CBC of Satoko, they refer her as "Tiny Queen" as well, and Yuna was mentioned along with Carolina.:biggrin:

Enidan

On the Ice
I wish Ash and Gracie would look to Mao as an example of how to look youthful, classy and elegant when you're no longer a teenager. I love Mao's subtle, natural-looking makeup, and elegant, unfussy dress.

Wth, why would Diva Wagner have to look to Mao as an example. You want Diva Wagner to look to Mao as an example, so she will finish dead last place at every competition? :no shake: Mao is an example of skater with no progression. Her skating is so junior. She can't even fix her flutz over the course of many years. She even copy some of Wagner move for her SP. :noshake:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Why do we even have the scoring "system" and world records now if judges are handing the scores out like candies on Halloween? It kinda takes away the excitement for me.
Seriously, a 9.25/9.5 on SS? It's like they're saying this is as good as it gets when in fact, there's so much more to improve. :scratch2:

Exactly. Medvedeva's pcs were almost as high as Caro's and Yuna's in Sochi (low 9's). That is simply wrong in any possible way.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Wth, why would Diva Wagner have to look to Mao as an example. You want Diva Wagner to look to Mao as an example, so she will finish dead last place at every competition? :no shake: Mao is an example of skater with no progression. Her skating is so junior. She can't even fix her flutz over the course of many years. She even copy some of Wagner move for her SP. :noshake:

What do you think Ashley Wagner herself would say to your insulting comment about Mao after reading this?

Quote from Ashley Wagner

Yu Na Kim, Mao Asada, Carolina Kostner - all these girls can do triple-triples in their sleep, and they have the skating skills and the spins and the rest of the technical jumps. So I have to have that as well if I want to be able to call myself 'competitive' against them. And when I say 'competitive,' I mean I want to win.
Ashley Wagner

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/ashleywagn673031.html

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight

:rofl2:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
CBC commentary of Evgenia. "She is already put herself in the league of Yuna Kim and Sotnicawa..." :drama::laugh2::rofl:

Leonardo

Final Flight
What do you think Ashley Wagner herself would say to your insulting comment about Mao after reading this.

Quote from Ashley Wagner

Yu Na Kim, Mao Asada, Carolina Kostner - all these girls can do triple-triples in their sleep, and they have the skating skills and the spins and the rest of the technical jumps. So I have to have that as well if I want to be able to call myself 'competitive' against them. And when I say 'competitive,' I mean I want to win.
Ashley Wagner

Don't feed the trolls, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Franklin99

Medalist

:laugh2: Yes, Mao should look up to Ashley. So she could win as many titles as Ashley has. Maybe then she would be considered one of the greats alongside Michelle, Yuna, Miki, Caro, etc.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Agreed. In fact I think a lot of people were concerned for the fate of figure skating when the "powers that be" made Sotnikova the "face" of figure skating. So glad Medvedeva won if for no other reason then her style of skating (cohesive and seamless choreography performed with art and athleticism) was rewarded. That is the face of figure skating I want to see more of.

I am waiting to see Evgenia to perform to different music type/structure/choreo than this type though. mechanic stsq with flowing music otherwise.
Also, I disagree with Euro boyz this time regarding Satoko's music as background music. I may not like Satoko's jumps, but I do certainly appreciate her musicality. Interpretation music/musicality is not just about hit obvious music hues. One skater that is indeed always use music as background music is JuliaLip.
EDIT: I do think that Evgenia has relatively better musicality within Russian girls. Radio and her are on the same level in terms of musicality in my book, but Radio really got horrible program music cut this year.

Last edited:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker

Now, did I not hear that tune before somewhere? Ah yes, right here.

Enidan

On the Ice
I think Chan and Mao will definitely and finally retire after this season.

Boitano, Witt, Zayak, Cohen and I guess you could say, Plush never got back to their former glory. Kim is the only exception.

ITA, it's such a pity to see them humiliate themselves this way :(

Enidan

On the Ice
What do you think Ashley Wagner herself would say to your insulting comment about Mao after reading this?

Quote from Ashley Wagner

Ashley Wagner

Oh well, don't blame me and attack me. b/c they start first. mao skating is the whole mess < << ! she can't even do facial expression with the music, and they say Wagner have to look at mao as an example. :rolleye:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Oh well, don't blame me and attack me. b/c they start first. mao skating is the whole mess < << ! she can't even do facial expression with the music, and they say Wagner have to look at mao as an example. :rolleye:

>Keep posts constructive
Posts are welcomed and appreciated as long as they are constructive. For example, "So-and-so is a horrible skater!" is not a constructive post. An acceptable post would be "I feel so-and-so could improve their skating if ..." The best way to get your opinion(s) recognized is not to be abusive or offensive, but to be positive and communicate in a mature fashion.

>Trolling is defined as deliberately posting derogatory and/or inflammatory posts in order to bait other users into responding.

>Ranting is posting negative, irate, and/or unconstructive (usually vague) comments. This is considered a form of trolling since ranting usually results in flame threads with little or no constructive information.

>Harassment is persistently targeting a poster/skater for ridicule.

>Excessive "bashing" of skaters. Everyone has their favorite and not-so-favorite skaters. Please be constructive with criticism. Persistent, repetitive, unrelenting and pugnacious denunciation of skaters is not welcome.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
ITA, it's such a pity to see them humiliate themselves this way :(

>Keep posts constructive
Posts are welcomed and appreciated as long as they are constructive. For example, "So-and-so is a horrible skater!" is not a constructive post. An acceptable post would be "I feel so-and-so could improve their skating if ..." The best way to get your opinion(s) recognized is not to be abusive or offensive, but to be positive and communicate in a mature fashion.

>Trolling is defined as deliberately posting derogatory and/or inflammatory posts in order to bait other users into responding.

>Ranting is posting negative, irate, and/or unconstructive (usually vague) comments. This is considered a form of trolling since ranting usually results in flame threads with little or no constructive information.

>Harassment is persistently targeting a poster/skater for ridicule.

> Excessive "bashing" of skaters. Everyone has their favorite and not-so-favorite skaters. Please be constructive with criticism. Persistent, repetitive, unrelenting and pugnacious denunciation of skaters is not welcome.

Last edited:

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
While admitting that Mao has had consistency issues like most skaters do, though only a handful have ever won Worlds 3 times like Mao, I think the "notoriously inconsistent" comment is a little insensitive and irrelevant to the post you quoted since it primarily addresses her prolonged illness. The flip side: whether a skater is inconsistent or not, I don't think they should be expected to perform great when they are ill.

I agree. Much respect for Mao and I hope she recovers well from her illness and pull off what she has got later in the season.

Last edited:

temadd

Final Flight
I had to force myself to sit through Satoko's free skate. I appreciate her ability to consistently land jumps but with no height (and her size is no excuse, little girls get higher off the ice than her) she leaves me bored. And no soul to her skating . .

Can we wait until Wagner actually accomplishes something before we start comparing her to a multiple world champion?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I had to force myself to sit through Satoko's free skate. I appreciate her ability to consistently land jumps but with no height (and her size is no excuse, little girls get higher off the ice than her) she leaves me bored. And no soul to her skating . .

We all have our own preferences and there is nothing to be ashamed about if you don't connect with a skater. It's the moment when people start to diss a skater they dislike when things get ugly. I totally agree with the placement here, but still think the scores are incredibly inflated. Maybe the judges went overboard because the men were delivering on such a high level? And concerning Satoko, for me she just simply lacks that special something that makes a skater engaging, that makes her interesting to me. I mean, she leaves no impression. She's constantly....good. Not a headcase, but not exactly awe-inspiring either. People probably disagree, but I'd rather watch a flawed Rika Hongo or even Kanako. Oh, Kanako...*sniff*