2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies SP

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I haven't seen any of the videos, but the fact that Mao is comfortably in third with a popped jump is telling. I hope she skates clean in the free. She can definitely still win.

Franklin99

Medalist
the worst thing is that she put her jumping passes on the 2nd half of the program which is not balance for the program.

I agree. I think she should have added 1 jump element in the first half to better balance the program overall. The back loading took away from a beautiful performance.

andromache

Record Breaker
Polina Tsurkskaya in the JGPF.

Oh yeah I knew that! Sorry, was only thinking of senior ladies.

Polina didn't get her jump technique from Eteri though. ;) And there's no doubt that Eteri gets her ladies great programs, packaging (Yulia's costumes are the exception this season), spins, transitions, etc. There's a lot to admire about what Eteri is able to do for her skaters, but jump technique MIGHT not be one of those things. I don't know a whole lot about jump technique, but not everyone critiquing Yulia's and Evgenia's technique is a hater or just trying to be negative about these lovely ladies. But it IS possible to tell when a lady's technique is helping her execute a jump versus "muscling," "gritting," or "whipping" it around. Yulia has struggled, and I don't want to see Evgenia deal with similar problems in the future. I hope the critics about her technique are wrong :yes:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree. I think she should have added 1 jump element in the first half to better balance the program overall. The back loading took away from a beautiful performance.

I'll never fully grasp this argument myself. It's not like she isn't skating in the first half of the program. I think the program fits the music and the way it's structured is reflected in the program. Besides....the more people can change up the stale format of starting of a program with a jump then I say all the better. I don't care about the second half bonus and if they took it away I'd still think it was just as good the way they constructed the program. Well... maybe a point or two less better:)

Teal Dear: It's nice to see people do a program differently.

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
I'll never fully grasp this argument myself. It's not like she isn't skating in the first half in the first half. I think the program fits the music and the way it's structured is reflected in the program. Besides....the more people can change up the stale format of starting of a program with a jump then I say all the better. I don't care about the second half bonus and if they took it away if still think it was just as good the way they constructed the program.

I like the beginning of the program. But once she started on her jumps, they all came back to back to back. And that took away from her program...for ME.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the beginning of the program. But once she started on her jumps, they all came back to back to back. And that took away from her program...for ME.

That's cool...just offering my take too. We all have our preferences. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
I haven't seen any of the videos, but the fact that Mao is comfortably in third with a popped jump is telling. I hope she skates clean in the free. She can definitely still win.

I really hope Mao has a good skate such a legend. Also prefer Evengi over Radniova who has become too commercial

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I checked Satoko's flip a few times in real time and slow-mo and 0.25 in slow-mo, it was at most a flat edge, probably with a '!', but DEFINITELY NOT an 'e'!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Watching the event I have to say Mao makes me realize how much I ve missed this kind of skating in ladies, she skates so free and with such honesty,from her music choices to costumes and choreo and interpretation, nothing is over the top,my fav program this year by far.
And that huge 3axel <3

Polycon

Rinkside
I checked Satoko's flip a few times in real time and slow-mo and 0.25 in slow-mo, it was at most a flat edge, probably with a '!', but DEFINITELY NOT an 'e'!
She was hugely overscored in any case. Her jumps were not better than Mao's jumps, it's nonsense.

Vernella

Rinkside
I'll never fully grasp this argument myself. It's not like she isn't skating in the first half of the program. I think the program fits the music and the way it's structured is reflected in the program. Besides....the more people can change up the stale format of starting of a program with a jump then I say all the better. I don't care about the second half bonus and if they took it away I'd still think it was just as good the way they constructed the program. Well... maybe a point or two less better:)

Looking at this argument in a more technical way, the second half bonus rule was introduced to to force constructing the programs "a point or two more better". Independently from the fact that is a good program or not, it goes against the initial intention of balance of that rule. So we can say that what Evgenia does is exposing a hole in the rules.

That said, I don't particularly dislike her program, so I don't really mind...

Vernella

Rinkside
She was hugely overscored in any case. Her jumps were not better than Mao's jumps, it's nonsense.

I don't understand how can you compare their jumps in this case... Mao had a 3A and Satoko only a double, and the GOE was a half of Mao's; Mao did a 3F+3Lo with both jumps underrotated, while Satoko did a tiny 3Lz+3T, but fully rotated; and Mao popped her last jump pass, which gave Satoko a whole 3F in the bonus to catch up in the score, even if it ended up being "e"

HR4

On the Ice
I totally do not agree with people who think Elena is overscored. Well, I am not a fan of the music either, but she is a girl, and I actually respect she can choose and skate to something she obviously likes.
Asley, I love her, she delivers the performance even after problems with jumps.
Mao was not that good today in delivering the performance I thought. Still she is great without a doubt.
Satoko is overscored for me and booing from the audience was awful. Will we ever see the punishment for pre-rotations?
Evgeniya is superb. Whatever she wears, it is a sport in the end, and she was by far the best in the field yesterday.

Last edited:

iamchrislao

On the Ice
i really hope Mao beats this Medvedeva girl. Earn your keep girl. Overscored indeed. Good, but not 70+ material. Heck, if that's the case, I'd switch her marks with Polina Tsurskaya! Better SS, explosive jumps, not overselling it through flailing arms and over emotive expressions.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I totally do not agree with people who think Elena is overscored. Well, I am not a fan of the music either, but she is a girl, and I actually respect she can choose and skate to something she obviously likes.
Asley, I love her, she delivers the performance even after problems with jumps.
Mao was not that good today in delivering the performance I though. Still she is great without a doubt.
Satoko is overscored for me and booing from the audience was awful. Will we ever see the punishment for pre-rotations?
Evgeniya is superb. Whatever she wears, it is a sport in the end, and she was by far the best in the field yesterday.

I agree about Satoko, and I think she is lucky to have received the marks she did. Thing is, I also understand the audience. It's almost impossible to see if you don't have slow-mo or the zoom of a camera, the program goes by in a flash. You see a clean program and don't understand why.
I also agree about Elena, and I think she wasn't overscored.

Concerning the backload, Kanako Murakami had a similar layout with her Prayer for Taylor SP a couple of years ago. The jumps happened in the second half, and that program didn't feel empty at all, quite the opposite it's one of my favourite SPs ever. I don't understand why more skaters take advantage of that rule, especially in the short.

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
i wish mao and her coach sato would already part ways. i dont understand why mr sato had to let mao do the lutz clearly its giving her a mind game. over the years mao's credential under mr sato is not really that impressive until now. thank you lori nichol and tarasova for the wonderful choreographies in her 2014 sp and lp. hats off mr sato for your contributions to maos career but i think its good for you to let mao go.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I just can't with some flop posters here already proclaiming which of these girls is going to be killed by puberty. Also they are usually Russian and yet they still have the last laugh.
we will have
MUAHAHAAAAAAAAA *moustache twirling evil laugh*:cool2::yay:

aw more Lena icons I see on this thread~!
Like I want to read the post & then just stop & stare at the damn icon!:laugh:
so pretty! :love:

And now you go on my ignore list. No
haha I usually dont do that but I did ignore some ))))

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
what about the longevity of lady skaters in this sports nowadays. Russia can produce an army of wonderbabies year after year due to the reasons @momskate mentioned. Comparing consistency(how many jumps landed in a program)between pre-pub girl vs womanly lady is not fair. Radio can tuck a -3t is because she is still a pre-pub(becoming a women). so can Evgenia, Elizabet and many junior girls. If you look at womanly lady skaters, from Russia, Liza etc, outside Russia, Yuna, Ashley, Gracie, Mao etc. to tuck a - 3t is not easy for all of them, that is why Ashley cannot tuck a -3t at ease. Radio landed is not because she is gutsy or mentally strong. It is different jumping mechanism for different stage of a lady. Those ladies has years of hard work to hone their technique and certainly extremely talented as well, but still cannot manage the consistency needed to compete with pre-pub girl. Are they really inferior "skaters"?
So if every year lady's champion will be a newly seniored Russian girl, no other country can compete since their pipeline cannot produce that many. so what about the longevity of lady skaters, is Russian lady skater really has the best technique/methodology that can sustain a long and healthy skating career, what is the radio that Russian lady skaters that didnot flop after puberty. Is it higher than other countries. Is this ISU wanna encourage. I am still a relatively new figure skating fans, but I noticed that not until recently, lady's figure skating champion are almost always indeed "lady". Just some thoughts.:biggrin: I liked what Raf said in TSL interview. the 18 year old age limit for senior ladies.

I agree and have been saying it since forever. It is not the same physically for a Joshi Hegelson vs. Rado/Med/Tuk to do a 3-3. The later are still girls - no curves, low bone density. Of course it is easier to pop up in the air, turn around 3 times and land with their foot straight. But, is it skating? It certainly isn't ladies' skating. In 1995 Kwan did more 3's than anybody and got NO medal. It was publically said that she had a lot of talent but was not a complete skater. The skating community looked forward to seeing her in the future. Yes, if ladies skating was put to 18 a lot of this would go away and we would start having SENIOR skating again. (I think this is partly the reason that these Russian girls aren't uniformly admired. The public recognizes they're wining because of loop holes in the system)

I started doing a little analysis. The overwhealming points given for technical merit now are for jumping passes. In fact the men do little more than set-up for the jump and jump. Figure skating is turning into the chinese circus. Very specific body types are winning because they can stay up in the air the longest. The Chinese Circus is impresive but I know it's just some weird tricks only a few people can do. Is this what the ISU wants figure skating to be? If it is I'm out.

Jumps should be reduced point-wise to get some balance back into the sport. Start having winners again who can actually SKATE.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand how can you compare their jumps in this case... Mao had a 3A and Satoko only a double, and the GOE was a half of Mao's; Mao did a 3F+3Lo with both jumps underrotated, while Satoko did a tiny 3Lz+3T, but fully rotated; and Mao popped her last jump pass, which gave Satoko a whole 3F in the bonus to catch up in the score, even if it ended up being "e"

I'm not so sure I consider it a fully rotated 3-3. The 3z is borderline at best and the 3t is an entire 180 degrees rotated on the ground. To me it's clear she under rotated and only Mao got called out for it. :furious:
https://youtu.be/DBY837tqaoA

moriel

Record Breaker
I agree and have been saying it since forever. It is not the same physically for a Joshi Hegelson vs. Rado/Med/Tuk to do a 3-3. The later are still girls - no curves, low bone density. Of course it is easier to pop up in the air, turn around 3 times and land with their foot straight. But, is it skating? It certainly isn't ladies' skating. In 1995 Kwan did more 3's than anybody and got NO medal. It was publically said that she had a lot of talent but was not a complete skater. The skating community looked forward to seeing her in the future. Yes, if ladies skating was put to 18 a lot of this would go away and we would start having SENIOR skating again. (I think this is partly the reason that these Russian girls aren't uniformly admired. The public recognizes they're wining because of loop holes in the system)

I started doing a little analysis. The overwhealming points given for technical merit now are for jumping passes. In fact the men do little more than set-up for the jump and jump. Figure skating is turning into the chinese circus. Very specific body types are winning because they can stay up in the air the longest. The Chinese Circus is impresive but I know it's just some weird tricks only a few people can do. Is this what the ISU wants figure skating to be? If it is I'm out.

Jumps should be reduced point-wise to get some balance back into the sport. Start having winners again who can actually SKATE.

Later are still girls? Did you see Tukt, ever? Just saying >.>
Liza has more curves than Mao for example. But no, no curves =)